Chapin (Saratoga)-"Franklin County Itís Past & Present"-1869
SHOBES GROVE, CHAPIN, GRINNELL, CLOCK, AVERY, CALL, ROSS, RICHRE
Posted By: cheryl Locher moonen (email)
Date: 1/31/2020 at 10:40:20
Dubuque Daily Times. Sunday, Apr 11, 1869. Dubuque, IA. Page: 2
Itís Past & Present
CHAPIN-It was laid out in 1857 and was first called Saratoga, but the name was soon after changed to Chapin, in honor of the family name of Mrs. J. B. Grinnell. Hon. J. B. Grinnell is the proprietor of the village and considerable real estate in the vicinity. Messrs. E. L. Clock & Bro. of Maysville, have a branch store at Chapin. E. D. Avery is Postmaster. The Congregational and Baptist churches both have states preaching; Rev. W. P. Avery, Congregationalist and Rev. S. N. Call, Baptist. One hotel is kept by A. S. Ross.
Shobeís Grove is the name of a Post office at Shobeís Grove, in the northern portion of Clinton Township, John Richre, Postmaster.
Franklin Documents maintained by Rose Rouse.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen