[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Paul Campbell 1887-1909


Posted By: Merllene Andre Bendixen (email)
Date: 9/19/2010 at 13:41:21

Paul Campbell Dies as Result of Accident in Rock Island Yards
Lived Only Five Hours After Accident Occurred – Employed as Switchman For Several Years

Paul Campbell died Saturday [December 4, 1909] morning at nine o’clock as the result of an accident in the Rock Island yards at this place which occurred at 3:45 or five hours previous to his death. He was employed as switchman and had been working in that capacity for the company for several years. No one seems to know exactly how the accident occurred as he was too weak when taken to the City Hospital to give any explanation whatever. He gave a signal to back up a string of cars and Yard Foreman Reese saw him step in between two cars to make a coupling. No sooner had he done this than he heard him call for help and rushed to his assistance and found him under the cars with both limbs crushed above the knees. With the assistance of Joe Nissen, another switchman employed in the yards, they carried him to the train dispatchers’ office and then to the City Hospital and summoned Dr. Anderson, the company surgeon. After a careful examination it was found he could not possibly live and at 8:45 he expired. He was conscious almost up to the last and talked to his wife and friends at his bedside. One theory of the accident is that he slipped and fell on the rail just as he was ready to make the coupling and before he could move the wheels of the car caught him.

Paul Campbell was born and raised in Emmet county. He was the son of J. A. Campbell, for many years a resident of Estherville but now residing at Cuban, N.Y. He was twenty-two years of age at the time of his death. He was married in March, 1907 to Miss Iva McClellan, of Cedar Rapids. Besides the wife he leaves a baby, father, three brothers, and two sisters to mourn his untimely death. Paul was a good boy. He had earned his own living since twelve years of age. He grew to manhood in Estherville and had the respect of everyone who knew him. He was steady and reliable and a young man of no bad habits.

Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church Tuesday morning and the remains interred in Oak Hill cemetery. His father, J. A. Campbell came from New York to attend the funeral, also his brother from Sioux Falls and his two sisters from Jack Creek and Ringsted in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Geo. McClellan, father and mother of Mrs. Campbell, were also present. (Estherville Democrat, Estherville, IA, December 8, 1909)

Paul Campbell, Night Switchman, Had Both Legs Taken Off
Slipped Across Rail While Making Coupling And Car Passed Over Both Legs

Paul Campbell, night switchman in the Rock Island yards at this place, met with a fatal accident about three o’clock Saturday morning, death coming as a relief to his suffering about six hours afterwards

As near as can be determined he was endeavoring to make a coupling and as he stepped on the rail to pull apart the knuckle both fee slipped from under him between the rails. The car had been cu off and was coming toward the car to which the coupling was to be made and as Campbell slipped the wheel caught him and passed over both legs above the knee, severing them from the body. He was taken to the city hospital and everything possible was done to save the young man’s life but the shock was too great and he died a few hours afterwards. Funeral was held from the Presbyterian church Tuesday forenoon. A very large concourse of friends attended to pay their last respects to him.

The deceased has spent most of his life in Emmet county. He grew to manhood in Estherville, attended the public schools and always been known as a hardworking and trustworthy boy and young man. A young wife and a little daughter, a sister, a brother and his parents, who now life in New York, are left to mourn his untimely death. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, December 8, 1909)

The Rock Island railroad company settled with Mrs. Paul Campbell for the death of her husband for $250. This was a voluntary act on the part of the company. Mrs. Campbell made no claim and there seemed to be no evidence that she had any. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, December 15, 1909)

Mrs. Paul Campbell moved to Cedar Rapids last week. She and her little son will make their home with her parents. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, December 15, 1909)

J. A. Campbell returned to his home in New York Friday evening. He visited his daughter, Mrs. John Bosold, while here and also attended the funeral of his son in Estherville, who was injured by the railroad. – Graettinger Times (Estherville Democrat, Estherville, IA, December 22, 1909)


Emmet Obituaries maintained by Lynn Diemer-Mathews.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]