Eberling, Elmer John 1899-1984
HARNACK, EBERLING, HAMMOND, MONROE, KAMP, REIERSON, NUEHRING
Posted By: M. Durr - IAGenWeb volunteer
Date: 5/28/2010 at 11:40:31
Funeral services for Elmer Eberling were scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 15, 1984 (today) at 1:30 p.m. at St. Paul Lutheran Church, Postville. The Rev. Julius L. Peterson officiated. The Schutte Funeral Service of Postville was in charge of arrangements. Burial was in the Postville Cemetery.
Elmer John Eberling, son of William and Emma (Harnack) Eberling, was born Sept. 26, 1899 in Grand Meadow Township. He died Feb. 13, 1984 at the Good Samaritan Center in Postville.
He was baptized Jan. 4, 1900 at St. Paul Lutheran Church by the Rev. Bockelmann and confirmed there on April 5, 1914 by the Rev. Kuehne. He attended the rural schools of Clayton County.
On Sept. 26, 1929 he was married to Lucille Marie Hammond. To this union three children were born. They farmed in the Postville area. Elmer became a resident of the Good Samaritan Center in Postville in 1974.
Elmer was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church. He was recently featured in the Postville Herald for his latch-hook decorations and he also enjoyed macrameing.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife Lucille, who died Sept. 11, 1970; a daughter, Virginia (Mrs. Edwin Monroe); seven grandchildren, Mark Reierson, Larry, Robert, Patty, Wayne, Jean and Janice Monroe; and a sister, Lucy (Mrs. Ed Kamp).
Surviving are a son, Robert Eberling, Postville; a daughter, Helen (Mrs. Joseph Reierson) of Elgin, seven grandchildren, Dixie, David, Ronald and Dean Reierson, Brenda (Mrs. Don Biermann), Rick and Randy Eberling; two great grandchildren, Zachariah and Amos Biermann; two brothers, Walter and Eli, both of Postville; two sisters, Alice Eberling, Postville and Lora (Mrs. Elery Nuehring) of Madison, WI, and many nephews and nieces.
Postville, Iowa newspaper of the time clipping, from my mother's obituary collection. Posted for genealogical purposes, contributor is not related.
Submitters note: Elmer's daughter Virginia married Edwin Monroe and they lived near Castalia, Iowa. Edwin and Virginia and their 6 children tragically died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a family space heater in their home. Their bodies were found Monday evening, January 8, 1968. To read of the tragic story go to: http://iagenweb.org/winneshiek/History/MonroeFamily.htm
Clayton Obituaries maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen