BARKER, CAIN, STULTS, WILTSEY
Posted By: Joy Moore (email)
Date: 5/18/2021 at 21:26:34
Source: Decorah Republican May 28, 1903 Page 1 Col 7
Monona in History.
Leader— June 17, 1847, the town of Monona was named and an organization, by a vote of the people, consumated. The boundaries of the township then extended east to the Mississippi and south and west to the neutral line, about one-fourth of the neutral ground was in the township. Jedediah Barker and Patrick Cain were the first trustees, and J. C. Stults was the first township clerk. It was not until 1849 that a postoffice was established and the first store was opened. The first school was taught by Miss Wiltsey in the summer of l845. The first school house built in 1849.
Clayton Documents maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen