Posted By: Cheryl Locher Moonen (email)
Date: 8/14/2016 at 14:21:52
Dubuque Weekly Observer, October 6, 1854
Elkader, Clayton County, Iowa – Elkader is about sixty miles from Dubuque, and contains a population of about three or four hundred persons.
It is located on the Turkey River and has one of the best water powers in the state. A fine mill was erected in 1847, with two run of stones, at a cost of $25,000, and is owned by Messrs. Thompson & Davis. The amount of wheat purchased last year amounted to forty-nine thousand sixty-seven and a half bushels.
There is also an Iron Foundry built in 1852, in which mill gearing's and all other kinds of castings are made to order, a large Furniture Factory, a Tin Shop, a Saddlers Shop, two Hotels and so forth.
The professions are represented by three Doctors and one Lawyer, Mr. Davis, one of the Mill owners, and formerly a resident of Dubuque.
The country surrounding Elkader is unsurpassed for fertility and beauty, furnishing the settler with pure water, fine prairie and good timber, the essential requites of desirable farming country, which is well known to be the character of Clayton County.
8/14/2016: this article was originally posted on the biography board - it was moved to the document board by the administrator
Clayton Documents maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen