[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

J.C. Wade

WADE, DOW, BURNIGHT, PHILLIPS, PHELLIS

Posted By: Debbie Clough Gerischer (email)
Date: 7/19/2005 at 15:14:41

J. C. WADE

The tremendous growth of the automobile business in recent years has
attracted men of ability and energy and in no other field is there a better
opportunity for the exercise of progressive and enterprising methods. One of the
most important and successful business houses in Sioux City is that of Wade &
Brunight, dealers in Buick cars, for which they hold the agency for southern
South Dakota, four counties in Nebraska and four counties in Iowa, including
Woodbury. In the splendid growth which this company has enjoyed, John C. Wade
has been an important factor, having devoted himself closely to its
interests, and is now numbered among the able and successful business men of this
community.

Born in Clayton county, Iowa, on the 20th day of November, 1869, he is a son
of Frank F. and Cynthia (Dow) Wade, who were natives of New York state,
where they were reared and married. Soon afterward they came to Iowa, settling
in Clayton county in 1865 and remaining there until 1872, when they moved to
Union county, South Dakota, where the father engaged in farming. In 1887 he
settled in Hawarden, Iowa, where he engaged in the hardware business until his
death, which occurred in 1903, at the age of fifty-five years. His wife is
still living at Hawarden, at the age of eighty-six years, and is remarkably
active of one of her age.
John C. Wade attended the district schools to his eighteenth year and after
the family located in Hawarden engaged in the newspaper business, becoming
half owner of the Sioux Valley Blade, to which he devoted his attention for two
years. He then sold his interest in the paper and established a grocery
business in Akron, Iowa, which he carried on until 1907, when he sold the store
and entered the automobile business, becoming associated with Thomas L.
Burnight, under the firm name of Wade & Burnight. At that time they secured the
agency for the Buick car for a territory including six counties. They were
very successful in this venture and in 1914 came to Sioux City, their territory
being increased to ten counties, including Woodbury. The steady and
continuous growth of their business, which has been very gratifying, is evidenced by
the fact that the volume of sales had increased from one hundred and fifteen
thousand dollars in 1917 to over a million and a half dollars in 1925.
In 1890 Mr. Wade was united in marriage to Miss Elsie B. Phillips, of Elk
Point, South Dakota, and to them have been born two daughters: Grace F., who
graduated from Drake University, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and is
now the wife of Guy F. Phellis, of Sioux City; and Jessie E., who graduated
from Morningside College, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Mr. Wade is a
member of the board of directors of the Toy National Bank. Because of his
splendid business record, his very commendable interest in the progress and
prosperity of his city, and his forceful personality, he has won a high place in
the esteem of all who know him.

-source: NORTHWESTERN IOWA ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION VOLUME III, 1804-1926
-transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer


 

Clayton Biographies maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

 

Post Response


Your Name:
E-Mail Address:
Principal's Name:
Surnames:
One Biography per submission please! Non-Biographies will be deleted!
Please include the source of the Biography.

If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

Verification Test: Please type the two letters
before submission   (helps stop automated spam):  


 

 

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]