George V. Punteney
PUNTENEY, PRIDMORE, FREEMAN
Posted By: S. Ferrall (email)
Date: 4/25/2004 at 18:20:57
George V. Punteney, proprietor of Plymouth Rock Mills, Plymouth Rock, Io.; was born in Monongahela Co., Va., in Feb., 1820. In 1829 his parents moved to southeastern Ind. In 1851 Geo. V. came to Io., and settled in this Co., and commenced the erection of a saw mill for Beard & Cutler, on the Canoe river. In June, 1852, he moved to Cold Water, three miles east of this place, and took a claim. The land was not surveyed. In 1854 he married Mary E. Pridmore, at Garnavillo, Clayton Co., Io., and then moved on to his claim, which he entered at the land office when it came into market in 1853. He had worked there three years previously on the Bluffton mills, being a millwright and carpenter by trade. He built a house on his claim and commenced clearing the land, and also built a saw mill and operated the same for three years and improved the farm. His wife died at that place in 1866, and in the same year he moved to Hardin Co., Io., and remained there five years; then returned to his farm here, but did not operate the mill, it being run down and out of repair. In May, 1876, he moved to this place, having previously purchased an interest in the mill, which he now wons exclusively. The erection of the mill was commenced in 1852, the dam being built and saw mill established on government land, then not surveyed, and a few years later the flouring mill was built, and the saw mill discontinued, by Mattock & Kelly, who sold to Bean Bros., and eventually it came into the hands of the present owner, as he purchased an interest of them, and afterwards by process of law, the matter being in litigation, obtained entire possession. The mill is 40X40 ft., and 40 ft. high, fitted with three run of buhrs and the latest machinery, and patent water wheels, etc.; employes a competent miller, L.P. Sanborn, of many years experience, and does custom work. The farm, which Mr. P. still operates, is well stocked, and employs two teams; he owns six head of horses, besides good cattle and hogs. Mr. P. was married to his second wife, Miss Sarah Freeman, in 1873. The children of his first wife are Ladora J., Arthur C., Weldon V., Nellie C. and Charles Emmert; the last mentioned died in June, 1881.
[source: History of Winneshiek & Allamakee Counties, 1882; by W.E. Alexander; Sioux City, Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1882; pg. 622-623]
-transcribed by S. Ferrall
Clayton Biographies maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen