LAWRENCE, SMITH, WILSON
Posted By: BCGS
Date: 1/22/2010 at 11:49:05
One of the most widely known and successful agriculturists of Lafayette township, Bremer county, is G.A. Chanbers, who follows general farming and dairying on a valuable property of one hundred and seventy acres of choice land. Mr. Chambers is a native of this township and county, being born on the farm of which he is now the owner on April 29, 1870, his parents being Daniel H. and Mary L. (Lawrence) Chambers, both of New York state. The paternal grandfather was Joseph Chambers and the family is of old colonial immigration, having come originally from Germany. the Lawrence family is of English extraction and the maternal grandfather of our subject was a participant in the War of 1812. When twenty years of age D.H. Chambers, the father of our subject moved to Belvidere, Illinois, where he was employed for three years. There he married and from there he, his wife and four children subsequently made their way to Iowa, traveling by ox teams and coming to Waverly in 1855. Here he remained a short time and during his sojourn broke some land with four yoke of oxen, the same land being now occupied by the county fair, it being owned at that time by Specular Smith, well known to the old timers. Mr. Chambers, Sr., then moved to Clarksville, Butler county, where he bought a piece of land in what is now known as Turkey Grove, and there he remained about seven years. Upon selling out he returned to Bremer county, buying a farm near Janesville, where he remained for a similar period. He disposed of his farming interests there and then, in 1869, acquired title to the farm in Lafayette township which is now occupied by our subject. It is situated about four miles north of Waverly. There he continued to follow agricultural pursuits with ever increasing success and passed away upon this property in October, 1899, at the age of seventy-eight years. He and his wife had seven children, of whom G.A. Chambers is the youngest.
Mr. Chambers spent his boyhood and manhood upon his present farm with the exception of one year, during which he was employed in the pineries. In the acquirement of his education he attended the schools in the neighborhood and early became acquainted with agricultural methods under the able guidance of his father. He has since made good use of his knowledge and his property has become one of the msot attractive in his part of the county. The home farm comprises one hundred and seventy acres and the land is of superior soil. He has a modern, substantially built, large barn and that he is progressive in his methods is evident from the fact that he uses gasoline power for doing quite a great deal of work upon the place instead of following in the old-fashinoned ways. His residence is modernly equipped and his outbuildings are substantial and in good repair. The farm is slightly sloping and well drained. He gives his attention to mixed farming, although his principal crop is corn, and he also pays close attention to dairying, having selected Durham cattle as his favorite breed. Mr. Chambers is an agriculturist of the up-to date type, ever ready to try out new methods, and his success is largly to be based upon his intelligent management. Not only has he achieved individual success but he has given a good example of that can be achieved along agricultural lines if ambition, energy, industry and intellect lead the way.
On December 30, 1896, Mr. Chambers was untied in marriage to Miss Maud Wilson, of Waverly, a daughter of A.B. Wilson, an old settler of this city. Their children are: Wirt K. and Louis I., at school; and Helen Dorothy. Mr. Chambers is well known in his ditrict and township, where he has resided ever since his birth. He has many friends and those who know him longest esteem him hightest, which speaks well for his high qualities of mind and character. He has never shirked his public duties as an American citizen and, although he has never made particular efforts toward attaining public prominence, has been often called upon to fill township offices. In the discharge of his official duties he has been conscientious and has gained the full confidence and indorsement of his constituents. He can ever be found in the ranks of those who are ready to assist by advice or material aid in bringing about improvement and expansion.
History of Bremer County, Iowa Vol. II 1914
Bremer Biographies maintained by Sara J. Holmes.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen