HUGLIN, QUISKEY, PETERSON, SWANSON, ENGSTROM, NORLIN, TALBOT, JOHNSON
Posted By: Tamara (email)
Date: 10/15/2010 at 22:49:30
From the History of Boxholm and Grant Township in Boone County, Iowa, 1986, by David C. Peterson, p. 232:
CHARLES HUGLIN (1834-1904)
Charles Huglin was born in Smedjegarden, Stockholm, Sweden, on June 25, 1834, his baptismal name being Carl Johan Quiskey. He was the only son of Alexander and Urika Eleanor Quiskey. The father was formerly a sailor on the British warship "Oxford," and was the English consul at Stockholm at the time of the son's birth. The father was murdered on his way from the king's palace on July 4, 1836, and the broken-hearted wife passed away two days later of grief. All their nine children were placed in an orphanage in Stockholm, where young Carl remained until six years of age when he was adopted by the Isaac Peterson family. In 1858 he came to America and located at New Sweden, Iowa (the first Swedish settlement in the state of Iowa - 1845) where he worked as a farm hand for 25 cents a day plus board.
In 1861 he enlisted in the 11th Ohio battery at Orion, Henry County, Illinois and served his country about four years during the Civil War. During the Battle of Iuka, Sept. 19, 1862, he was wounded in the hip and in both legs and spent 10 weeks in the hospital at Jackson, Tennessee. In 1863 he was again taken seriously ill and spent seven more weeks in another Army hospital. He never fully recovered his health from the illness and the war wounds. He was honorably discharged from the service on Oct. 23, 1865 at Columbus, Ohio.
After leaving the Army, Mr. Huglin farmed rented ground in Illinois, where at Andover he was married on Nov. 27, 1867 to Miss Christina Louisa Swanson. She was born in Skede, Jonkopingslan, Sweden On Oct.4, 1845, one of eight children born to J. Gabriel and Sarah Swanson. She came to America in 1865 with her parents and settled at Andover, Illinois where the father farmed until his death in 1887. The mother died in 1900. Mrs. Huglin wsa a sister to Mrs. John P. (Johanna) Engstrom, another pioneer Grant Township settler. She was also a sister to Mrs. August (Wilhelmina) Norlin, mother of Roy Norlin, formerly of the Boxholm community.
After his marriage, Mr. Huglin bought a farm of 80 acres near Genesco, Illinois for which he paid $1,200 and about 1873, traded that place for 120 acres in Lancaster County, Nebraska where the family had moved in 1873. Three years later they came to Grant Township, Boone County, Iowa, arriving on Sept. 14, 1876. They settled in Section 1, where Mr. Huglin rented land for six years, eventually purchasing 280 acres in that section. He bought the SE1/4 of the SW1/4 on Sept. 23, 1882, all of the SE1/4 on July 14, 1885 and the N1/2 of the SW1/4 on Aug. 25, 1885. He also later bought 80 acres in Section 6 of Pilot Mound Township and owned a tract of 15 acres of timerland along the river, owning 375 acres of land in total.
To Mr. and Mrs. Huglin were born 10 children, three in Illinois, two in Nebraska and five on the home place in Grant Township. They were: Alfred (died in infancy - 1868), J. Alfred, who became a prominent attorney at Fairfield, Iowa (1869-1948), C. Luther, who later farmed the home place in Section 1 (1871-1948), Mrs. David (Elizabeth) Talbot (1873-1961), Oscar E. (1876-1942), G. Gilbert (1878-1950), Mrs. Matilda Johnson (1880-1971), Ida (1882-1960), Esther (died in infancy - 1885), and Northan (died in infancy - 1887). Mr. and Mrs. Huglin were members of the Dayton Lutheran Church.
In March of 1899 they retired and moved into Dayton. The home place 80 was later owned by Bert B. Burnquist and now is owned by Gene Reutter. Mrs. Huglin died on Feb. 25, 1904, aged 58 years and Mr. Huglin died on Oct. 23, 1904 aged 70 years. Both are buried in the Dayton Cemetery. Descendants of theirs still living in Grant Township are a grandson, James Huglin, and a great grandson, Harlan Huglin and his family.
Boone Biographies maintained by Jan Bony.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen