Andrew G. Olson
OLSON, HAMMERSTEDT, JOHNSON, NORDSTROM, ANDERSON, ERICKSON, LUNDIN
Posted By: Tamara (email)
Date: 10/15/2010 at 21:21:04
From the History of Boxholm and Grant Township in Boone County, Iowa, 1986, by David C. Peterson, pp. 258-259:
ANDREW G. OLSON (1863-1945)
Andrew Gustaf Olson was born in Ovansjo parish, Gastrikland, Sweden on Dec. 17, 1863, the son of Andrew Olson and Anna Greta (Hammerstedt) Olson (1836-1880). He came with his parents to this country in 1867, settling in Boone County, Iowa. His father died in 1868 and in 1869 his mother remarried William "Bill" Johnson, a farmer in Amaqua and Grant Townships. The mother and stepfather are buried in Union Cemetery southeast of Boxholm.
Mr. Olson was then raised and educated in this vicinity and on Dec. 23, 1890 was married to Miss Hannah Augusta Nordstrom. She was born in Askeryds parish, Smaland, Sweden on Dec. 6, 1864, the oldest child of John August Nordstrom (1837-1896) and his wife Adolphia Amelia (Anderson) Nordstrom (1837-1911). She came with her parents to this country in 1868 and settled first in Illinois and then in Pilot Mound Township, Boone County, Iowa. The family moved to Grant Township about 1880 where the father farmed in Section 13 for the rest of his life. Both are buried in Prairie Lawn Cemetery east of Boxholm.
To Mr. and Mrs. Olson were born five children, all in Grant Township. They were: Mrs. John W. (Elsie O.) Erickson (1891-1933), Anna V. (died 1893, aged one month), Lloyd E. (1895-1973), Martin W. (1901-1964), and Mrs. Ray (Daisy D.) Lundin (b-1905). Mr. and Mrs. Olson were members of the Boxholm Lutheran Church. Mrs. Olson was confirmed in Dayton in 1879 and transferred her membership to Boxholm in March 16, 1890.
Mr. Olson worked for various farmers in Grant Township before settling down on a farm in Section 2. On March 1, 1893, he bought 80 acres (E1/2 of SW1/4) in Section 2 from J.P. Engstrom for $37 per acre. He also later owned another 80 (N1/2 of NE1/4) in Section 11, thus farming 160 acres. Besides farming he also operated a well drilling business, a custom threshing oufit, and also moved houses. In 1914 Mr. and Mrs. Olson moved to Boone, Iowa, renting out their farm to Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Nordstrom. The treshing business was taken over by Elmer Anderson. In Boone, Mr. Olson started a garage and auto business, later becoming a dealer in auto parts and accessories. Mr. Olson is generally given credit for owning the first car in Grant Township, a one-cylinder Cadillac of very early vintage. In 1923 his sons, Lloyd E. and Martin W., became associated with the business known as Olson and Sons Auto Parts Company located at 713-15 Arden Street in Boone. Mr. Olson later retired in the early 1930's, his sons taking over the business. After moving to Boone, Mr. and Mrs. Olson joined the Augustana Lutheran Church were he served as deacon on the church board for many years.
After 54 years of marriage, Mr. Olson died on March 3, 1945, aged 81 years. Mrs. Olson died on July 29, 1955, aged 90 years. Both are buried in Prairie Lawn Cemetery east of Boxholm. Their farm in Grant Township was owned by Mr. Olson up until his death and is currently owned by Bob Petty. None of their descendants currently reside in Grant Township.
Boone Biographies maintained by Jan Bony.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen