Gasolene Explosion Kills Chr. Petersen (1918)
Posted By: Cheryl Siebrass (email)
Date: 2/25/2010 at 21:40:36
Date of Death - January 2, 1918
Kimballton-Elk Horn Record
Gasolene (sic) Explosion Kills Chr. Petersen
Gasolene Torch Bursts, Soren Jensen Also Badly Injured
A frightful explosion occured in the basement of the J. P. Carlsen house on Washington Ave. at 3:30 Wednesday, when a gasoline torch into which Chris Petersen Jr. was pumping pressure with a foot pump burst, blowing gasolene all over the room in which they were working. The gasolene immediately ignited and in a flash everything was in flames. Soren Jensen rushed out of the basement and succeeded in putting out the fire in his clothes, but Chris Petersen did not fare so well. His clothes had evidently been drenched with gasolene, and when he emerged from the basement his clothes were almost burned from his body. At a cry for help a crew of men who were working on the new school building near by rushed to the spot and they with the aid of Soren Jensen tore the burning clothes for the body of Chris Petersen and smothered the flames with a quilt.
Doctors were immediately telephoned for. Chris Petersen was taken to the A. G. Boose home for attention, and Soren Jensen to the Nis Petersen home. Later in the evening Mr. Petersen was carried to his home, and at 7 o'clock apparently resting easy. However, the shock of the explosion had been too violent for him to stand, and at 10 o'clock breathed his last.
The sad news of the untimely death of another of the sturdy young men of Elk Horn comes as an appalling shock to the entire community. Many did not know of the accident and more had no idea of the seriousness of the consequences.
Soren Jensen is in the Atlantic Hospital. Most of his burns were as a result of trying to help put out the fire in Mr. Petersen's clothes. His burns are not thought so serious and he will undoubtedly recover in course of time.
No announcement has yet been made for the funeral of Chris Petersen.
The J. P. Carlsen residence was somewhat damaged by the fire. Several windows blown out, and the paint and varnish on the wood work in the hall leading to the basement badly seared. The explosion of the gasolene was not violent enough to do much damage, and the flames were put out in short time by the chemical engine and a volunteer fire team.
Audubon Obituaries maintained by Cheryl Siebrass.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen