[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

ANDERSON, Andrew died 1877


Posted By: S. Ferrall - IAGenWeb volunteer
Date: 5/5/2024 at 14:22:12

Andrew Anderson, aged 17, the only son of a widow residing in South Lansing, and a most steady, quiet and ineffensive boy, borrowed from a neighbor a rifle, and, complaining to his mother that he was tired of remaining in-doors, said that he would stroll into the country with it. She remonstrated, both as against the day chosen, and his use of the rifle, but he quieted her apprehension, and taking his dinner, started in the direction of the premises of Mr. L. Crane, west of town, and was seen to pass the house by some members of the family about eleven o'clock.

Shots had previously been heard, and an additional report very soon afterward. This proved to be the last shot, as the young man was not seen, nor was any report heard, during the afternoon.

On Monday morning, about half-past nine o'clock, a woman who resides in the vicinity started to this place, and contrary to her usual custom, left the road and walked across some fields. Near a fence, on the premises of Mr. Crane, she observed the body of a man lying on the ground, with a gun by his side. Frightened at the circumstance, she hurriedly gave the alarm and several men working in the adjoining fields hastened to the place, while Mr. John Haney drove to town at once for medical assistance.

It proved to be the body of young Anderson, in whose head, just above the right eye, was lodged the whole or a part of the breech pin of the gun, it having blown off when fired. Life was not extinct, although he had probably lain in that semi unconscious state for twenty-two hours, a part of his brain oozing from the ghastly wound, and the ground around and under him saturated with his blood.

He was conveyed to the home of his mother, and notwithstanding the terrible extent of his injuries, was at times conscious until Wednesday night. His case is one of the most remarkable on record. In the hearing of the writer on Wednesday, he recognized and called by name several of the bystanders, asked for water, complained of pain in his right breast, and for the only time, pointed toward his head as the source from whence "most pain" proceeded. His left side was in a manner paralyzed, but at intervals he was perfectly conscious for a brief time.

Death took place at a quarter before three Thursday morning, and he has thus lived from Sunday noon. The post mortem examination was held yesterday afternoon by Drs. Craig, Taylor and Brockhausen, and the missile extracted. It weighed one and three-eighth ounces; was one and three-fourth inches long, and about three-forths of an inch through, although at one end the screw, one and one-forth inches long, adhered to the pin. Its every appearance was suggestive of untold danger.

~Lansing Mirror, Friday, April 27, 1877; pg 1

Burial is in Oak Hill cemetery


Allamakee Obituaries maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]