The side track at Mount Auburn was laid in June, 1870, and the turn-table, which had been placed while this point was the temporary terminus of the road, was taken out and removed to La Porte.
Mr. Soesbe was the first Station Master and the first merchant, and Mr. Grudgel built the first grain warehouse.
Sept. 15, 1871, Freddie Lewis, son of the Postmaster, was smothered to death in the hopper of the elevator at that place.
The teachers of Cedar Township held an Institute at the school house in this place Jan 20, 1872, which was well attended.
July 13, 1872, the Methodist Episcopal Church at Mount Auburn was dedicated for worship, Rev. J. W. Clinton officiating. Five hundred persons were in attendance. The debt on the church was fully cleared on that day, and a surplus of $441 raised besides. The building is a frame, 35x56 feet in size, with a half octagon extension for the pulpit. It cost $2,900.
The Christian Church was dedicated March 2, 1873, Rev, G. N. Mapes, of Princeton, I11., officiating.
A cheese factory was established at Mount Auburn in 1873 by a stock company, A. Kile, President and Manager. In 1874, the quantity of cheese made was 27,484 pounds; sold for $3,591,44, or a small fraction over thirteen cents a pound. The number of pounds of cheese to each cow was 280.
Mount Auburn occupies an elevated position with reference to the surrounding country. In clear weather, Vinton can be clearly seen from this town, and the smoke from locomotives four or five miles south of Vinton. It is also said that the smoke from engines on the Illinois Central road, fifteen miels [sic] to the north, can be distinguished sometimes.