This little village is seven miles west from Vinton, and was laid out in the Fall of 1872, on the farm of J. Barkdall. January 1, 1873, all there was of the town was a sign-board, ten feet long, bearing the name of Benton. Since that time, a village has sprung up. Considerable grain is handled here, and a fair trade is done in dry goods.
With the general revival of business soon to come, Benton will become quite an important little town.