The Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School (IBSSS) was founded by Samuel Bacon in 1852 as a private school in Keokuk, Iowa. Within a year, it was established by the State Legislature and relocated in Iowa City. In 1858 the General Assembly sought a permanent location for the School.
Through the efforts of Captain Thomas Drummond, editor of the Vinton Eagle, the community of Vinton met the necessary requirements of land and money. The commission met at Vinton in May, 1858, and selected the site--a gift of 55 acres of land donated by J.W.O. Webb of Vinton. In 1862 the School was moved to Vinton and students were housed in a newly constructed building which is still in use today.
Bibliography: Gleanings from Our Past, A History of the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School, Vinton Iowa, Pgs. 23-29.
Published by The Iowa Braille & Sight Saving School 1984. Copyright 1984 by Iowa Braille & Sight Saving School.