ADAM H. WILSON is operating his splendidly improved farm of four hundred and eighty acres, four hundred acres of the estate, his homestead, lying in Jackson township and the remaining eighty acres in Monroe township. He came to Benton county in the spring of 1869, locating first in Homer township, and he is numbered among the self-made men who have achieved both wealth and position from the fertile lands of Benton county, for when he came here his capital did not exceed perhaps two hundred dollars. About two years after this he bought eighty acres in Homer township, and resided there for some years, in the meantime adding to his landed possessions until he owned a farm of two hundred and forty acres. In about the year of 1901 he moved from there to his present home in Jackson township, purchasing land in sections 30 and 31. He had improved his Homer township farm, and he has also improved his estate here and has been very successful in his operations. During the past twenty years or more Mr. Wilson has bred and raised Hereford cattle, and now has the largest herd of thoroughbred Herefords in Benton county, owning from one hundred to one hundred and fifty head, his market covering this community as well as territory outside of the state, shipping in car load lots. He has also been identified with other lines of business, including the operation, with others, of a cheese factory, and he is the president of the Peoples Savings Bank of Garrison.
Mr. Wilson was born in Grenville county, Ontario, Canada, June 9, 1850, a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Erratt) Wilson, the former of Scotch descent and the latter a native of Canada and a daughter of a Methodist Episcopal minister. They were married in St. Lawrence county, New York, and located then in Ontario, Canada. Samuel Wilson was by trade a brick layer, although he owned a farm, and in about 1873 or 1874 the family came to Benton county, Iowa, which continued as the parents' home until death, Samuel Wilson dying at his homestead in Homer township in the early '90s, aged about seventy-three years, and his wife died not long since at the age of seventy-four. She was several years younger than her husband. Adam H. was the first born of their eight children, seven sons and a daughter, and all are living. James C. Wilson, the second son, is now a resident of Corning, California. In former years he was a large farmer in Benton county, and he now owns a section of land in California and is extensively engaged in raising fruit. John Wilson, a resident of Reinbeck, Iowa, was the cashier of a bank there for twenty-eight years and is now the president of the Bank of Reinbeck. Mrs. N. Minish resides in Cedar Falls, where her husband is a retired farmer. Matthew Wilson is a farmer in Homer township, and he is also a mechanic and an inventor. Albert Wilson resides near Hudson, Iowa, a farmer. The Rev. Edward E. Wilson, a Methodist Episcopal minister, was a missionary for eight years to Chili, South America, and during the past five or six years he has been stationed at Porto Rico. Dr. William H. Wilson is a practicing physician and surgeon in Chicago, Illinois, a member of the faculty of the Hahnemann Medical College.
Adam H. Wilson was married in Illinois to Miss Mary J. Yalden, born in St. Lawrence county, New York, but she came to Illinois when a child with her parents, who were farming people. Six sons have blessed the marriage union of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson: Vernon H., the cashier of both the Grundy County National and the Grundy County Savings Banks at Grundy Center, Iowa, married Maude Butrick, of Benton county; William B., farming at home with his parents; Hillis R., attending the Ames Agricultural College; John H., assistant cashier of the Peoples Savings Bank at Garrison; and Ernest S and Walter I., both in school. Mr. Wilson is a Republican voter, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Picture of Adam Wilson