E[mmett]. H[ugh]. MORROW,
the pioneer merchant of Newhall, was born in Guernsey county, Ohio,
June 1, 1860, and is a son of William and Mary Ann (Burns) Morrow, both
natives of Ireland. William Morrow died in 1872, at the age of
sixty-two, and his widow died in 1878, at the age of sixty-one years.
They were parents of nine children, four of whom survive, namely: John,
of Miller, South Dakota; Anna, wife of Samuel MeGrahanan, of Newhall;
William, of Omaha, Nebraska, and E. H., of Newhall, Iowa. William
Morrow came to the United States in 1844, and first made his home in
Belmont county, Ohio, where he was joined by his wife in 1846; they
removed to Guernsey county, Ohio, and in 1866 came to Linn county,
Iowa, where both he and his wife died. He was a farmer all his life.
E. H. Morrow was reared on a farm and received a common school
education. His father died when he was twelve years old, and his mother
when he was eighteen. He began working on a farm, and in the fall of
1881, having reached his majority, he went into the lumber business at
Newhall, this being the first business started in the town; the
railroad was then being built. He had several different partners, and
at one time conducted the lumber, grain, live stock, coal, hardware and
implement business of the town. In 1900, after the death of Mr.
Morrow's partner, the business was divided, and he retained the lumber
and hardware business. He afterwards sold the lumber business, and in
1905 sold his entire business, but in 1907 he repurchased the hardware
and implement business, which he now carries on with profit.
For a number of years Mr. Morrow owned and operated the tile factory at
Newhall; he still owns it, but for the past two years has rented it. He
owns his store buildings, besides a beautiful modern house in Newhall,
and also owns two hundred and forty acres of improved land in Madison
county, Iowa. Politically Mr. Morrow is a Democrat, and he served as
township clerk several years, also in various other offices. He is a
progressive and energetic business man and a public-spirited, useful
citizen. He is actively interested in public affairs, and has the
confidence of his fellow townsmen. He and his family attend the
Presbyterian church, and he is a member of Valentine Lodge, Knights of
Besides his other business interests Mr. Morrow is vice president of
the Newhall Savings Bank, which office he has held since its
organization in 1894. He has been very successful in all his business
Mr. Morrow married, December 23, 1884, Jennie E. Wilson, who was born
in Eden township, Benton county, Iowa, April 2, 1861, and is a daughter
of Robert M. and Isabella (Evans) Wilson. Mr. Wilson was born in
Hancock county, Ohio, November 9, 1827, and died September 8, 1891.
Mrs. Wilson was born in Brown county, Ohio, January 5, 1835, and now
lives in Pueblo, Colorado, with a daughter. They were parents of
thirteen children, eight of whom are living, namely: Elmer E., of
Huron, South Dakota; Mrs. Morrow; James P., of Oklahoma; Margaret, wife
of E. M. Baldridge, of Jackson township, Benton county; Frank, of South
Dakota; Rose, wife of W. Y. Worrell, of South Dakota; Delia, wife of
Frank Parkwell, of Eads, Colorado; and Sadie, wife of Frank Downley, of
Pueblo. Mr. Wilson was married in Indiana, and in 1857 came to Iowa,
driving a wagon; they located in Eden township, Benton county, where
they entered one hundred and sixty acres of land. They improved the
land, and cultivated it until 1888, and then removed to South Dakota,
where the father died. Mrs. Wilson returned to Benton county, where she
lived three years before removing to Pueblo.
Mr. Morrow and his wife have three children, as follows: Merrill, of
Cedar Rapids; Hazel E., attending college at Cedar Rapids; and Wilson
E., at home.