DR. MARION MEREDITH, who died at Vinton, Iowa, December 28, 1904, had been successfully engaged in the practice of medicine here for over forty years, during which time he was prominently identified with the best interests of the town and county.
Marion Meredith was born in Greensburg, Indiana, in 1831. The death of his parents left him an orphan before he was ten years of age, and in early life he had a struggle to obtain an education. He prepared himself for the practice of his profession at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, where he graduated about the time the Civil war was inaugurated. Tendering his service to the Union cause, he entered the army as surgeon of the Sixty-eighth Indiana Regiment, and remained on active duty until the war was over. Then he came west to Iowa and settled at Vinton, where he established a practice with which he was identified up to the close of his life. He had been in failing health for several years but was able to be in his office, and conducted his office practice until a short time before his death.
Dr. Meredith was an enterprising, public-spirited citizen, interested in various business enterprises. He helped to organize the Vinton Canning Company, the first institution of the kind here and one of the first in Iowa, and was its president until his death. He was also a stockholder in the canning factory at Waterloo, and he assisted in the organization of the Peoples Saving's Bank and was a stockholder in it.
For years Dr. Meredith was prominently connected with the Masonic Order at Vinton, belonging to the Blue Lodge, the Chapter and the Commandery, and participating in the work of each. He was a member of the Benton County Medical Society, and was for years its president. Politically he was a Republican, well posted in politics, and a conscientious voter; but he never in any sense was a politician, nor would he ever accept office for himself. While he was generous in contributing to the building and support of the various churches in the town, he was not a member of any church.
At Greensburg, Indiana, he married Miss Sarah F. Lathrop, a native of that place and a sister of Dr. W. P. Lathrop, who died at Glenwood, Iowa, when on a visit there in 1876. He was a graduate of the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, and had come to Vinton and engaged in practice about 1854. Mrs. Meredith's parents, Harvey and Louise Lathrop, when well advanced in life came from Indiana to Iowa, and died at Vinton soon after. In Indiana Mr. Lathrop was a dry goods merchant. To Doctor and Mrs. Meredith one child was born, Marion Harley, now the wife of E. F. Young of Vinton.
Picture of Marion Meredith