JOHN G. FLECHNER owns and operates his farm of two hundred acres on section 25, Monroe township, which he has finely improved and which has been his home for the past twenty-four years. He came to Vinton on the 3rd of October, 1873, with practically no capital, and his first work was in Big Grove township for John Bause, a farmer, with whom he remained for several years, working by the month. In that time he saved five hundred dollars, and for two years he was a renter in section 36, Monroe township. In the meantime he obtained his foothold in business, and returning to Big Grove township farmed as a renter there for three years, during the following four years conducted the Henry Lauderbach farm in that township, and then came to the farm he now owns, but during the first two years here he rented the land from his father-in-law, and the nucleus of his present estate was eighty-five acres, adding thereto from time to time until the farm has reached its present large proportions. He has been a general farmer and very successful, and he also handles good stock.
M. Flechner was born in Prussia, Germany, January 3, 1843, a son of Frederick and Louisa (Lechet) Flechner, both of whom lived and died in that country, the father reaching the age of eighty-six years. They were Lutherans in their religious affiliations, and the father was a farmer. Mr. Flechner has a brother residing in Prussia, William Flechner. John G. Flechner was reared and educated in his native country, receiving a common schooling, and in his early life he assisted on the home farm and also worked for other farmers. Having relatives in Benton county, Iowa, he finally decided to come to the United States in 1873, and he has ever since been a loyal citizen of his adopted country. He married here Sarah Blough, born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, April 3, 1855, a daughter of Joseph and Mary (Fike) Blough, both natives of Pennsylvania and both members of the Dunkard church. The mother died at the age of seventy-four years. The father became a Benton county citizen in 1869 and he resided here until his death some few years ago at eighty-two years, owning two hundred and forty acres of land in Monroe township and eighty acres in Jackson township. He was a successful farmer and business man. Mrs. Flechner was about fourteen years of age when she came to Benton county, and she attended school here. The seven children, four sons and three daughters, born of this union are: Mary Louise, Ida Anna, Susan Sybilla, William F., Joseph C., and John A., twins, and Verne, all born in Benton county and all at home with their parents. Mr. Flechner is a Republican in his political affiliations, and he has served his community ten years as a school director. Both he and his wife are members of the Dunkard church.