CARL DELFS, a prominent and successful farmer of Cedar township was born March 13, 1867, in Port Byron, Rock Island county, Illinois. He was brought to Benton county in 1867, October 9, when but a few months old. His father had purchased land in Cedar township, and the son remained at home until he reached his majority. He received a common school education, and later went to business college in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for three months. He then entered the store of Boggs & Conner, where he remained five years, after which W. C. Boggs and Mr. Delfs purchased the grocery stock and began business under the firm name of W. C. Boggs & Delfs. Two years later Mr. Delfs sold his interest to his partner and in 1895 moved on to the old home farm, where he has since remained. He owns city property in Vinton, and other towns, and operates one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 31 in Cedar township, the old home.
Mr. Delfs is an up-to-date, hustling farmer, and has made agriculture pay. He has good business judgment, and pays close attention to the improvement of the farm. Politically he is a Republican, and has served his township as assessor, school officer, etc., standing high in the opinion of his neighbors. He attends the First Presbyterian church of Vinton with his family. Fraternally he is a member of Vinton Lodge No. 83, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his wife was a member of the Rebekah Order. He married, February 24, 1892, Minnie M., daughter of F. G. and Susan (Wood) Dresser, who lived west of Vinton on a farm; Mrs. Delfs died October 24, 1908, leaving one son, Claus G., now a medical student, at Drake University; besides there are two adopted children, Josephine Caporilla, now in Denver, and John Peteley, of Bruce township, Benton county.