DR. CHARLES B. CHENOWETH has been long identified with the medical profession at Newhall, and he has been very successful as a physician. He was born in Eden township of Benton county April 23, 1857, a member of one of the early pioneer families and a son of Isaac N. and Rebecca (Handsicker) Chenoweth, the father born in Vermilion county, Indiana, March 15, 1827, and the mother was born in Frederick county, Virginia, on October 9, 1828. Isaac N. Chenoweth learned the cooper's trade when a boy, and he worked both at that and farming in Indiana, and while living in that state he in 1851 made a trip to Benton county, Iowa, and entered the north half of section 2, Eden township, returning home in the following year of 1852 for his wife and family. They drove through with horses and wagons. This was before the establishment of Vinton, but there was a small settlement at that time at Benton City, although settlers were very scarce throughout the county. Mr. Chenoweth built the second house in Eden township, and he lived there until 1886, retiring in that year and moving to Vinton, and there he died on the 19th of September, 1902. His wife survived him until March 31, 1910, when her death occurred at Cedar Rapids. She was buried at Vinton. He was a successful man financially, well read and he was ever ready to further any movement for the betterment of his community at large. He served Benton county as a supervisor from 1868 until 1878, was county treasurer two years, and he held all the township offices with the exception of justice of the peace. He voted with the Republican party. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Chenoweth, but only the following five are now living: Aurella B. Chenoweth, living in San Diego, California; Charles B., the Newhall physician; J. H., living in Davenport; E. H., of Chicago, Illinois; and Mrs. Ida M. Bryner, of Vinton.
Dr. Charles B. Chenoweth was reared to farm life, attending first the country schools, then the Tilford Academy at Vinton, next the Blairstown Academy, and in 1881 he matriculated in Rush Medical College at Chicago and graduated on the 19th of February, 1884. Coming at once to Newhall he has practiced here during the intervening years, and has gained a splendid reputation as a skilled physician. He is the present health physician and notary public of Newhall, and was appointed the postmaster in 1889, holding that office until 1894, and from 1898 until 1905 he again served as postmaster. He is one of the stockholders and organizers of the Newhall Savings Bank, which was organized in 1894, and he served until 1905 as its president. He also owns one hundred and sixty acres of improved land in South Dakota. He is a member of Florence Lodge, No. 362, A. F. & A. M., at Norway, and of Adoniram Chapter, No. 15, and of the Commandery at Vinton. In politics he votes with the Republican party.
Dr. Chenoweth married on November 12, 1884, Rachel McGranahan, who was born in Eldorado township March 27, 1866, a daughter of Samuel McGranahan. The two children of this union are Charles and Earl. Both sons are attending Coe College at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Dr. Chenoweth and his family are members of the Presbyterian church.