JOHN M. BEATTY, one of the prominent men of
affairs of Benton county, has been a resident of Vinton for the past
seven years, where he owns what is known as "Watson Park" and where he
has built a beautiful home.
Mr. Beatty was born in Linn county, Iowa, in 1861, son of Charles and
Mary (McAllister) Beatty, both natives of the "Emerald Isle." Charles
Beatty came with his father, Walter Beatty, from Coshocton county,
Ohio, to Iowa in 1855, and settled north of Palo, in Linn county, on a
farm which is still in the Beatty family, now being owned and occupied
by an uncle of John M. Walter Beatty died there about 1876, at the age
of eighty-one years, his wife's death occurring a year later. Charles
Beatty farmed in Linn county and also near Atkins, in Fremont township,
Benton county. He died at the latter place in May, 1907, at the age of
seventy-six years. Both Walter and Charles Beatty were prominent and
influential men in their day. The former was a minister of the
Methodist Episcopal church, and both his life and his teachings told
for good in the cause he espoused. Charles was active in local
politics, affiliating with the Democrat party and serving efficiently
in various township offices. Fraternally he was a Mason. He was twice
married and had two sets of children, namely: John M. and C. E. Beatty,
the latter a resident of near Shellsburg, Iowa, and two daughters, one
in Benton county and the other at Laporte, Black Hawk county, Iowa. The
children of the second marriage are W. J., residing at the old
homestead near Atkins, and Joseph I., who lives near Palo, Iowa.
Since his early childhood John M. has been a resident of Benton county,
and the greater part of his life has been devoted to farming and stock
raising. From time to time, however, he has become interested in other
enterprises and has made a financial success of almost everything he
has undertaken. He is still actively engaged in operating his large
farms in Canton and Benton townships. He is president of the Peoples'
Savings Bank at Shellsburg, and is interested in the Farmers Telephone
Company, of which he is an officer. Also he has made investments in the
west including a section of land near Cheyenne, Wyoming.
In 1893 Mr. Beatty married Miss Myrtle Bowe, a native of Benton county
and a daughter of R. E. and Eliza (Gates) Bowe, pioneers of Benton
county and now residents of Vinton. This union has been blessed in the
birth of one daughter, Zola, now six years of age.
Mr. Beatty was for many years a member of the United Brethren church,
but there being no organization of this denomination at Vinton he and
Mrs. Beatty have affiliated with the Presbyterian church, and for some
years he has been superintendent of the Presbyterian Sabbath-school.
Politically he is a Democrat; has always shown a commendable interest
in local affairs, and has served Vinton as a member of its city
council. Fraternally he is in good standing in both the Masonic Order
and the Knights of Pythias.