J[ohn] W. O. WEBB, of Vinton, one of the early settlers of Benton County, was born near Frankfort, Shelby Co., Ky., March 21, 1824. He is the son of Aaron and Ruth (Pemberton) Webb, the former a native of Virginia, born in 1766, and the latter of Kentucky, born in 1795. Our subject was reared in Kentucky until fifteen years of age, attended the subscription school for awhile, when he went with his parents to Johnson County, Ind.
In 1851 Mr. Webb was married to Mary Van Dyke, a native of Indiana, born in Johnson County in 1831; she died about two years after their marriage. Mr. Webb came to Benton County in 1851 and purchased land, to which he removed two years later. April 15, 1857, he was again married, Elizabeth, daughter of John and Sarah (Lamb) Harrison, becoming his wife.Mr. Webb is by trade a blacksmith, and after coming to Vinton he opened a shop and made the first plow, ironed the first wagon, the first harrow and the first buggy in the county. He followed the business for some ten years, and in 1869 built what is known as the Eagle Mills, but after five years sold out and engaged in various occupations at different places, returning to Vinton in 1885. He has been an active business man, prominently identified with many of the enterprises of the county.
Source Citation: "1887 Benton County, Iowa Biographies" [database online] Benton County IAGenWeb Project. <http://iagenweb.org/benton/>
Original data: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Benton County, Iowa." Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887, p. 312-313.
Transcribed by: Sue Soden. Submitted to the Benton County IAGenWeb Project on February 13th, 2009. Copyright © 2009 The IAGenWeb Project.