CLINTON O. HARRINGTON is Secretary of the Farmers' Loan and Trust Company, of Vinton, which was incorporated Aug. 4, 1873, with an authorized capital of $100,000. S. A. Knapp was elected President; E. B. Kephart, Vice-President; C. O. Harrington, Secretary. In 1878 Mr. Knapp resigned and George Horridge was elected to fill the vacancy, which position he yet fills. George Knox is the present Vice-President. The present Directors are George Horridge, George Knox, W. C. Ellis. J. E. King, R. H. Quinn, James B. Locke and C. O. Harrington. The company does a general banking business, having as correspondents the First National Bank, Chicago, and the Fourth National Bank of New York. A surplus of $22,000 has accumulated in addition to the $65,000 stock which has been paid in. The company has a fire-proof vault for storing valuable papers, and burglar-proof safe, with Yale time lock. The place of business of the bank is on Washington street.
Clinton O. Harrington is a native of Norwich, Chenango Co., N. Y., born Oct. 14, 1843. His father, Fordus Harrington, and his mother, Angeline (Chapman) Harrington, were also natives of New York. In 1845, when Clinton was but two years of age, his parents moved to Piqua, Miami Co., Ohio, where his father engaged in the hardware trade. The following year his mother died, leaving another son beside Clinton — Benjamin F. She was a devout member of the Baptist Church and greatly loved by all. About 1851 his father again married, taking for his wife Naomi Tucker, by whom he had three children. In 1859 the family came to Iowa and located in Iowa County, where they remained some years. Fordus Harrington was originally a Democrat, but of Free-soil proclivities, and when the Republican party sprang into existence he naturally formed one of that organization, and continued to act with that party till his death, which occurred at the residence of his son, Clinton, at Vinton, Feb. 10, 1885. During the Rebellion he took an active interest in procuring enlistments, giving time and money in defense and support of the Government. He was always quite an active politician, and was frequently a delegate to county and State conventions. He was honored with several local offices of trust. In early life he was a member of the Baptist Church, but during his later years he was connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Clinton O. Harrington was educated in the common schools of Ohio and Indiana. In 1859 he came West with his parents, and in October, 1861, enlisted in Co. E, 4th Iowa Vol. Cav. The first service participated in was in Missouri in search of the notorious Gen. Marmaduke, now Governor of that State. It was subsequently in the siege of Vicksburg, being the only cavalry regiment there at the opening of the siege. It also participated in the first and second battles of Jackson, Miss., and in what is known as the Meridian raid. After the raid the regiment returned to Vicksburg, where it veteranized, a majority of the men re-enlisting and receiving a short furlough to return home. Among those re-enlisting was Mr. Harrington. On the expiration of its furlough, the regiment was sent to Memphis, and subsequently fought in the battle of Guntown, where it lost heavily in killed and wounded, and where Gen. Sturgis suffered defeat. Returning to Memphis, it became part of the command of Gen. A. J. Smith, and under that officer participated in the battle of Tupelo and then Oldtown. The next important service was against Gen. Price. In the winter of 1864-65 the regiment was stationed at Louisville, and the following spring participated in Wilson's raid. While at Macon, Ga., the news came of the surrender of Gen. Lee and Johnston's armistice. On the 25th day of the following August the regiment was mustered out at Davenport. Mr. Harrington served four years. He received a gunshot wound in the hand at Helena, Ark., and was confined for a time in the hospital. Once before he had been in the hospital, but only for a short time. On receiving his discharge Mr. Harrington returned to his home in Iowa County, and soon afterward entered the State University at Iowa City, graduating therefrom in the Literary Department in 1870. In the fall of that year he accepted a position in the Iowa College for the Blind and served one year, when he resigned his position. It was while engaged in this institution, in company with Prof. S. A. Knapp, that he conceived the idea of founding the Farmers' Loan and Trust Company. On resigning his position, he went to Wyoming and Utah, where he spent one year. Returning, he spent four months in the First National Bank of Dubuque, to acquire, a practical knowledge of banking. In 1873 he was one of the leading spirits in the organization of the bank, with which he has since been connected as Secretary.Mr. Harrington was married, Aug. 24, 1876, to Miss Anna L. Hughes, a native of Pennsylvania, a daughter of Daniel L. and Elmira Hughes. They have one child — Clinton Oakley, born June 7, 1881. Mr. Harrington at present is President of the Board of Trustees of the College for the Blind, and has been Trustee for a number of years. He is also Secretary of the Creamery Company, established in 1881; a member of P. M. Coder Post, G. A. R., of Vinton, and Lodge No. 83, I. O. O. F.
Source Citation: "1887 Benton County, Iowa Biographies" [database online] Benton County IAGenWeb Project. <http://iagenweb.org/benton/>
Original data: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Benton County, Iowa." Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887, p. 274-275.
Transcribed by: Sue Soden. Submitted to the Benton County IAGenWeb Project on February 9th, 2009. Copyright © 2009 The IAGenWeb Project.