M[artin] S. MONROE, foreman of the round-house and shops of the C. & N. W. R. R. Co. at Belle Plaine, Iowa, was born in Upper Canada, Sept. 29, 1856, and is the son of Martin and Ellen (Garry) Monroe. He came to Iowa in 1860, and entered the service of the C. & N. W. R. R. Co. at the Clinton machine-shops. In 1874 he learned the machinist's trade, and continued to work for the company at Clinton until February, 1884, when he was appointed foreman of the roundhouse and shops at Belle Plaine, which position he has filled the past two years. It will be seen that Mr. Monroe occupies a very responsible position, and one which requires superior skill and management, the importance of which is apparent when it is understood that Belle Plaine is headquarters for the Iowa Division, that the round-house accomodates thirty engines, and that the shops and other institutions under his care are new and have to be perfected.
Mr. Monroe was united in marriage at Chicago, the city of his wife's nativity, on the 25th of May, 1884, to Miss Delia Garrity, a daughter of Thomas Garrity.
Source Citation: "1887 Benton County, Iowa Biographies" [database online] Benton County IAGenWeb Project. <http://iagenweb.org/benton/>
Original data: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Benton County, Iowa." Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887, p. 273.
Transcribed by: Sue Soden. Submitted to the Benton County IAGenWeb Project on February 9th, 2009. Copyright © 2009 The IAGenWeb Project.