|Source:||A History of Northwest Missouri, Vol. III|
|Edited by Walter Williams.
The Lewis Publishing Company. Chicago - New York. 1915.
Perry Nichols, M. D. As one scans the progress of medical science during past ages and more particularly during the present and preceding century, amazement and admiration are aroused and faith grows where doubt once prevailed. While marvelous things have been accomplished in the domain of medicine there have been a few ills that afflict mankind that, until recently, have seemed entirely resistent to every treatment and perhaps none have been more dreaded and fatal than cancer. The general reader is not unacquainted with the progress of research along the line of cure for this cruel disease, which attacks every class, irrespective of wealth or station, and, if humane and sympathetic, must feel keenly regret and disappointment when one heralded cure after the other has been swept aside as entirely inadequate. Hence great interest all over the country has been aroused by the astounding success which has attended the scientific treatment and cure of cancer by one who has made the study of this scourge of mankind his life work, Dr. Perry Nichols, founder of the Nichols' Sanatorium, located at Savannah, Missouri.
Perry Nichols was born at Shellsburg, Benton County, Iowa, March 20, 1863, and is a son of Ira S. and Anna (Carrier) Nichols. The father was born in New York and the mother in Vermont. They were married in Wisconsin and then moved to Benton County, Iowa, and there spent the rest of their lives. They had two sons, Frederick and Perry, both residents of Savannah.
The duties pertaining to the cultivation of the home farm claimed Perry Nichols until he was about twenty years of age. He had, however, excellent educational opportunities, attending school at Iowa City, afterward spending two years in the Iowa State University, in the meanwhile pursuing his medical studies and in 1901 was graduated from the medical department of the University of the South. He immediately entered into practice at Watertown, South Dakota, three years later removing to Hot Springs and three years afterward came to Savannah. For the past eighteen years he has devoted his attention almost entirely to the treatment and cure of cancer and maintains his sanatorium at Savannah, Missouri. The sanatorium was incorporated June 25, 1914, with a capital stock of $500,000. It is under the management of the following staff: Perry Nichols, B. S., M. D., formerly professor of malignant diseases in the Lincoln Medical College, Lincoln, Nebraska, president; W. A. Stearns, vice president; J. H. Reaugh, treasurer; Edith Eason, secretary. The board of directors is made up of the above officials and also W. H. Bailey, M. D., Ella Nichols and Lydia Reaugh. Dr. W. H. Bailey is medical director.
Doctor Nichols lives a busy life, but will never complain as long as he sees the beneficent results arising from his enterprise and his scientific discoveries. It was only after many years of research and diligent study that he discovered a safe and sane cure for the malignant disease of cancer without the use of the surgeon's knife and the miraculous cures that he has performed entitle him to the gratitude of thousands of patients and should give him eminent standing among the benefactors of mankind. His institution is modern in every way, with skilled medical practitioners and corps of trained nurses, and the location of the building is in a section where may be found every requirement of health. Although Doctor Nichols has built up this enormous business in but a few years and has comfortable accommodations for many patients, coming from every section of the country, at the present writing (1915) he is contemplating further extension, which means still further humanitarian usefulness.
Doctor Nichols has three children and all are pupils in the high school. They are George, Helen and John.