|Source:||History of Pomona Valley, California|
|By Frank Parkhurst Brackett.
Historic Record Co., Los Angeles, Cal. 1920.
In the growth of the modern civilization it is the boy reared on the farm that gives new impetus and furnishes the enthusiasm and vim necessary to the successful business life of our cities.
John G. Robertson was born in Delaware County, N. Y., October 4, 1845. At the age of fourteen, like many another youth, he wended his course toward the great metropolis of our country, New York City. Later he located at Belle Plaine, Benton County, Iowa, where he was engaged in a general store. He was prominent in the civic life of the place, served as city trustee, was trustee of the Congregational Church in that city, and for ten years was a member of the Belle Plaine fire department. He came to Pomona for his health November 30, 1890.
The Packard Orange Grove Tract was then being set out and he purchased nine and one-half acres in this tract, five acres of which had just been set out to trees by Mr. J. E. Packard. The remainder of the property Mr. Robertson set out himself. Forty men were employed in grading, laying out and planting the Packard Tract and their camp was located opposite Mr. Robertson's ranch. In the early days part of the ranch was in deciduous fruits, later these trees were taken out and orange trees planted. Mr. Robertson's ranch is a fine producer, both as to quality and quantity of fruit, and bespeaks the good care bestowed upon it.
He married a native of the Pine Tree State, Miss Louisa Wass, who was born in Machias, Maine. Of their three children, Helen L. is at home; George W. of the United States Navy served on the steamship Nevada during the World War; and Jane C. is a teacher at Glendale, Cal.
Mr. Robertson is a charter member of the Pomona Fruit Growers Exchange, was one of the first men to sign up to the association and was a director for many years in the institution. He was director in the Packard Orange Grove Water Company. In his religious convictions he is a member of the Congregational Church, and fraternally is a charter member of Pomona Lodge No. 246, F. & A. M.; also belongs to the Chapter and Commandery in Pomona, and to the Modern Woodmen of America. Both he and his wife are charter members of the Pomological Club of Claremont and Mrs. Robertson and daughter Helen are prominent members of the Woman's Club and of the Order of Eastern Star at Pomona.
Transcriber's Note: According to the 1880 Belle Plaine, Benton Co., IA census, John G. Robertson was the son of Daniel Robertson, who was born abt 1819, in New York, the son of Scottish parents. John & Louisa were married 04 Jan 1876, in Benton County, Iowa.