|Source:||History of Pomona Valley, California|
|By Frank Parkhurst Brackett.
Historic Record Company. Los Angeles, Cal. 1920.
The rich returns yielded by California's fertile soil has brought residents from all states of the Union to her environment, who have made homes and acquired competencies in the occupation of horticulture. Among these the late Henry H. Williams was well known to many of the residents of Pomona Valley. He was born in Miami County, Ohio, and when twenty-one years of age removed to Tama County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming a 200 acre farm. He was a veteran of the Civil War and served in Company G, of the Fourteenth Iowa Infantry under Col. W. T. Shaw of the Sixteenth Army Corps under General Grant. He took part in thirteen battles while in service, among them the battles of Shiloh, Donaldson and Pleasant Hill. He was taken prisoner at Shiloh and confined in four different prisons, viz., Memphis, Mobile, Cabala and Macon. He was mustered out of service November 8, 1864, at Davenport, Iowa, and afterwards went to Belle Plaine, Benton County, Iowa, and followed the occupation of farming. He was a merchant in Belle Plaine for eight years and was a member of the I. O. O. F. and also of the G. A. R. Post in that city. In 1883 he came to Pomona, Cal., and purchased fifteen acres of unimproved land, a part of the Hixon ranch, at the corner of San Antonio and San Bernardino avenues. He planted an orange orchard, developed water by sinking an artesian well, installed a pumping plant and piped the water to his land, which he brought to a high state of cultivation and which yielded a rich return for his investment and the labor bestowed upon it.
Mr. Williams married Caroline R. Prill, a native of Ohio, by whom he had two daughters. Dilla, is now Mrs. Bailey of Los Angeles, Cal., and is the mother of two sons, both of whom saw oversea service in the late war. Her oldest son, Capt. Le Roy H. Bailey, graduated from Hahnemann Medical College, New York, and was practicing medicine in Los Angeles when he enlisted. He was surgeon in the Military Police Division and is now with the Army of Occupation in Germany. The second son, Elba N., was attending the University of California at Berkeley at the time he enlisted. He attended the ordnance school, was attached to the Mobile Artillery Repair Shop; he saw active service in France and was top sergeant when discharged. Mrs. Williams' second daughter is Mrs. Gertrude Henry, of Los Angeles, Cal., and she is the mother of a son, Lieut. George W. Henry, D. D. S., who enlisted in the Officers' Reserve Corps, but did not go to France.
Mr. Williams was Past Commander of Vicksburg Post, G. A. R., at Pomona, and was also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and donated liberally to the church. He was widely esteemed for his public spirit and his interest in the upbuilding and advancement of the community in which he resided, being ever ready to do his part in advancing the interests of the Valley. His demise, which occurred October 17, 1902, was deeply lamented by his many friends.
Transcriber's Note: According to the 1900 census of Pamona City, Los Angeles, CA, Henry was born in December of 1837, his wife Caroline was born in November of 1843 and they had been married for 33 years.
LDS - IGI: Henry Harrison Williams, b. Dec 1837, Miami, Ohio; d. 17 Oct 1902. Parents: George S. Williams and Maria Long. Married Caroline R. Prill, 28 Oct 1866, Tama, Iowa. Caroline b. Nov 1843, Miami, Ohio. George & Maria's family can be found in the 1860 census of Salt Creek, Tama Co., Iowa.