|St. John's Evangelical Lutheran congregation was formally organized on August 1, 1875. Prior to 1875 an itinerent clergyman, Rev. Merten, traveled the area, holding infrequent services at approximately 120 preaching stations. The settlers desired more frequent services and invited Rev. Horn of Dexter to provide them. Rev. Horn's more frequent visits and direction helped lead to the organization of the congregation.
Church records contain only baptisms for the first two years. The first death was recorded in 1877, the first confirmations in 1880 and the first marriage in 1881.
The original church building is visible in the background of the Red Cross Quilt Auction-1918 photo.
Immanuel Lutheran in Adair was eventually founded by members of St. John's who moved into town after retiring from active farming.