O. P. Rocksvold, a Glenwood Township pioneer, states that Gjermund Johnson was the first Norwegian settler in Township 98, North Range 7 West, which is the way the township was described and known in early pioneer days. He located in the southwest quarter of section 31 and built the first residence in the township on a farm now owned by Ray Rucker.
Samuel Drake came in 1850 and settled on section 7, now the home of Dr. E. H. McMasters, while Timothy Ruller, Russell and Benjamin Goodwater, Wm. Smith and Levi Barnhouse arrived in 1851. In 1852, Knut Evenson, Han O. Eggebraaten, Hans Blegen, Ole and Hans Patterson arrived. Nels Throndson and Andrew Gulbrandson Haugen came later and settled on section 32.
In 1852 Norwegian immigrants arrived directly from Norway and continued to come until the outbreak of the Civil War. After this even larger numbers of Norwegians came so that soon every acre of available land in the township was taken up, according to Rocksvold.
On Trout River in 1853, Wm. Smith built a sawmill and with it supplied the first settlers with lumber. In 1880 the Waukon and Decorah Railroad branch was graded through Glenwood township, which according to early historians, made it possible for the townships to show a population of 1190, because professional railroad hands were counted as citizens.
The early day residents were proud of the fact that Thrond Steen and wife, of the township, sent six sons to the Union Army with the seventh and oldest brother drafted in 1864. However, when it became known that he had six brothers in the Army, this son was sent home to take care of his old parents, according to Rocksvold.
Records show that two flourmills were erected in Glenwood Township. One was built in 1867 and was known as the Stone Mill on the Trout River, which maintained adequate waterpower for a number of years afterward. B. B. Sander on the same stream further down, built a mill in 1872, but after a few years the water gave out. The machinery was sold and the building was than converted into a creamery.
Three regular plotted cemeteries are located in Glenwood Township with three additional known burial places. In section 25 is located the East Glenwood Lutheran Cemetery with land given for this burial place by George Rogen. South of the Glenwood Lutheran Church located in section 26 is the Pontopidian Cemetery with one acre of land set aside for this purpose on November 14, 1889, with land secured from James L. Johnson.
Near the Glenwood Lutheran church is what is known as the West Glenwood Lutheran Church cemetery, in section 26, with one acre of land set aside on December 31, 1883 from the farm of Hans Anderson.
In the extreme southwest corner of Glenwood Township, in section 31, is what is well known as the Pioneer Cemetery, which became a burial place in the 1850's. A monument to the final resting-place of some 35 pioneers was erected and is located on the site. John T. Olson donated the land for the cemetery.
In the northeast corner of the L. H. Teslow farm is the burial place of 4 persons, last burial being made in 1886. Most of the headstones show "Dahlen" family members buried at this location.
On a hill south of the former Baker public school in section 21, are several graves which can be traced back to earlier pioneer days, but no records are available as to the persons buried there. The name of Smith is recorded on two headstones, which are at the site, but they were in very bad condition.
Please, contact the county coordinator to submit additions or corrections.
Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home * Township Index
Copyright © IAGenWeb2008 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~