Beatrice. Peter married Lizzie Kelly and had six children: John, Catherine, Raymond, Joseph, Helen and Edward. Sarah (7 May 1863-17 Nov 1918) married William McConnell (4 Sep 1861-12 Dec 1938) and had five children: Raymond, Jennie, Emmett, Mary and Thomas. John (1865-1944) married Mayme Carolan (25 Oct 1865-24 Jan 1905) and had three children: Phillip, Mary (Wm. Brown) and James. Frank (29 Dec 1867-8 Mar 1959) married Mamie Gallagher and had six children: Alocque, Helen , Margaret (O'Connor), Patricia ( Brinkmoeller), Francis and Raymond (Ann Sutton). EHa (29 Dec 1867-12 Oct 1958) married Phillip Carolan and had 11 children: Mae (Cronin), Bessie (O'Brien), Theresa (Drew), Richard, Peter, James, Robert, William, Ellen (Sutton-Van Steenhuyse), Sylvester and Melvin. Margaret (26 Apr 1871-13 Jan 1953) married Thomas Carolan (17 Mar 1868-25 Sep 1954) and had eight children: Frank, Stella (Courtney), Henry, Stephen, Raymond, Bernadine (Courtney), Vincent and Raphael. They also had three who died in infancy.
Patrick Donlan died in 1899 and is buried in St. Bridget’s Cemetery, Bluffton, IA along with Bridget who died 10 Dec 1916 in Decorah.
Dostal, Jan and Teresie (Kvapil)
(JoAnn C. Dostal and Cyril M. Klimesh)
Jan and Terezie Kvapil Dostal
Jan Nepomucky Dostal was born 20 Oct 1807 in house #56, Bohousova, County Zamrsk, Bohemia, to Frantisek and Veronica (Krchmarova) Dostal. Frantisek was the son of Jan Dostal born in Usti nad Orlice, Bohemia. Teresie Kvapil was born 18 Dec 1816 in Orlice, Bohemia, to Josef and Rozalie (Vondrova) Kvapil. Jan and Teresie were married 4 Feb 1838, in Kysperk, Bohemia, after the death of Jan’s first wife, Lidmila Kafka. They made their first home in house #42 Kuncice, County Zamrsk, Bohemia where all but one of their seven children were born. Jan had a small farmstead and worked as a master Cartwright.
In 1854 Jan and Teresie with their children: Frank, Anna,
John, Joseph, Anton and Leopold departed from Hamburg, Germany to make the journey to America. They landed in New York twelve weeks later.
Their introduction to the United States was a disheartening one, especially for Teresie. On leaving the ship, they failed to find their baggage. Unable to speak English, they were given to understand that the chests packed with their clothing, kitchen utensils, prized goose down feather beds and mementos of Bohemia had been shipped on ahead to their destination. Much later they realized the truth; their possessions had been stolen. Teresie was especially vexed about the theft of the feather beds, the down for which had taken her years to gather. Jan took the theft of their goods less seriously, “We each have two strong arms, we will get more.’’
From New York they went to Racine, Wl arriving there in Nov 1854. Being too cold to travel any farther, they spent their first winter living in a one room log cabin with the Korab and Lorence families.
In the spring of 1855, the Dostals resumed their journey. They settled in Davenport, IA which then was described as a clearing containing a small settlement. Jan secured employment as a deck hand on one of the many river boats used to ferry the thousands of wagon train immigrants heading for the newly opened Iowa frontier. With the older boys working to supplement their merger income, the family managed to survive as well as save a little of Jan’s $1.50 a day wage. While living in Davenport, their youngest daughter, Barbara was born 13 Jun 1856.
After two years at Davenport, Jan, spurred on by the promise of their own fields and wooded pastures, obtained a wagon and oxen, and moved his family to Spillville, IA where a settlement of his countrymen had been established. Not long after the Dostals constructed their permanent home, Father Kroutil, a Czech missionary priest, celebrated Divine Services in their residence since there was no church in the settlement. In Spillville Jan resumed his trade of a wagon maker. He developed considerable proficiency at this trade and operated his wagon shop for many years. Jan and his sons constructed a frame house in Spillville which still stands today. It is located south of the Bily Clocks Museum building.
About 1860 the Spillville settlers, as well as others in the county, were alarmed by a report that an Indian war party was approaching. While her brothers hurriedly rounded up the oxen in the woods, Barbara (the youngest daughter) made ready to flee - with a loaf of bread under one arm and a doll under the other. Happily the alarm proved to be a false one.
Jan and Teresie died in 1889 and 1899 respectively. They are both buried in St. Wenceslaus Cemetery.
Jan and Teresie had seven children: Frantisek Xavier “Frank” (b. 30 Nov 1938). On 18 Jan 1864 Frantisek married Josephine Pribyl in Spillville. In 1878 they moved to a farm near Manly, Worth Co., IA where they died. Frantisek and Josephine had five children. Jan Nepomucky John” (b. 2 Sep 1840) married Mary Riha on 2 Apr 1866 in Winneshiek Co. John died in St. Paul, MN in 1925 and is buried in Manly. John and Mary were the parents of eight children. Josef 'Joseph” (b. 12 Dec 1842). Joseph mar-
Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Sunday, 28 March 2021