submitted by: Julia Johnson -
[Crawford, Bertha Mae]

Bedford Free Press

Thursday    February 23, 1899    [p. 1]


May Crawford Commits Suicide Rather Than Marry One She Did Not Love.

Last Sunday night Miss [Bertha] May Crawford, two miles south of New Market, committed suicide by taking laudanum. The cause for this terrible deed lay in the fact that her parents opposed her marrying a young man named Cute [Cuit] Adams and wanted her to marry another man who was wealthier. She left a note, stating that death was preferable to marrying a man she did not love. Her heart was given to young Adams. She also requested that she be buried with a ring given her by Adams, but the watch he had given her must be returned to him.

Tuesday the body was interred in the Memory cemetery near New Market without funeral exercises.

[Crawford, Bertha Mae]

Bedford Free Press

Thursday    March 2, 1899    [p. 1]

Carbolic Acid, Not Laudanum

We learn from the New Market Herald that Miss Mae Crawford committed suicide by taking carbolic acid instead of laudanum, and so strong was the drug that the stomach was burned to the surface. The note left by the young lady for her lover, Adams, is as follows:

DEAR CUIT — I am going to end my life tonight. I'll tell— I have trouble that I cannot stand any longer. I have told you all of it lots of times—well most all of it anyway. I want you to leave these rings on my hands, but the watch you take and do just as you please with it. I expect people will say I was crazy, but I am no more crazy than I ever was, but I'll tell you for I am worried to death. As I guess that's all so good by. Cuit, be a good boy and you'll never regret it. I've tried to be a good girl; you know that.

            MAE ---

The New Market Herald further adds: "The letter failed to explain matters satisfactory to Mr. Crawford, and Cuit Adams, to whom the letter was addressed and with whom Mae was desperately in love, was sent for believing that he alone could explain what the language of the note, meant. Mr. Adams believed she referred to the courtship between them, and rather than marry him against the wishes of her parents and not caring to live without him as her husband, ended the matter as she did. The fact that she often complained about her parents not allowing her to bring Mr. Adams to her home while they permitted her sister to bring her escort into the house, and that she thought she was just as good as her sister, are in harmony with Mr. Adams' explanation of the language of the letter. A strange feature of the whole affair is the fact that Mae's conduct and nothing that she said showed the slightest nervousness on her part. Even the letter, which was undoubtedly one of her last acts before swallowing the fatal drug, when compared with considerable other writing of hers, showed that it was penciled with a steady hand and at least a reasonably clear mind. To us this is a case of most wonderful love. Faithful to the uttermost extreme to the young man she loved and obedient to an equal extreme to the wishes of her parents. This sad ending of a young life should be a lesson to other girls to not give their affections to a young man before first counseling their parents, if they would be obedient to the wishes of their parents, and obedience to parents is the noblest virtue of childhood.

Miss Bertha Mae Crawford was born in Dallas Township, Iowa, April 18, 1880. She was a bright studious young lady, and her friends can only be numbered by her acquaintances. Her sad death brought to the entire community a shock from which it will not soon recover.

[Crawford, Cecil Mark, 1943-1964]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    November 5, 1964    [p. 1]

Hunter Dies Near Bedford

Cecil M. [ark] Crawford, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dale Crawford, was found dead of a gunshot wound about 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 1.

Taylor County Medical Examiner M. T. Gordon ruled the death accidental and said there would be no inquest.

Young Crawford apparently had started to hunt squirrels on his father's farm about 3:30 p.m. five miles south of New Market.

Taylor County Deputy Sheriff Allen Akers reported that young Crawford's body was found on the north side of the barn; nearby was a .410 gauge magnum shotgun.

When young Crawford failed to return to the farm home at dusk, the parents asked neighbors to help in a search. The body was found by George Stanley.

Survivors besides the parents are two brothers, Tom 15, and Mike, eight; sister, Mrs. Kathryn Cahill of New Market.

Funeral services were held Wed. at Walker Funeral Home in Clarinda. Burial was at Old Memory cemetery near New Market.

[Crawford, Cecil Mark, 1943-1964]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    November 12, 1964    p. 4

Cecil Crawford Rites Nov. 4

Funeral services for Cecil Mark Crawford of New Market were held Nov. 4 at the Walker Funeral Home in Clarinda, Ia., with Rev. Clarence Potter of the New Market Christian Church officiating, assisted by Erwin Stickelman of Clarinda. He died at his home Nov. 1 at the age of 20 years, 11 months and 11 days. Interment was at Old Memory cemetery at New Market.

Cecil Mark, son of Dale and Mabel Frazier Crawford, was born Nov. 20, 1943, at Cherokee, Iowa. When Cecil was two years of age he moved with his parents to their present home northwest of Siam.

He received his elementary education in the nearby North Star country school, and was graduated from the New Market High school with the class of 1962.

He attended Junior College at Clarinda for one and one half years. He then began working at the Hy-Vee Store at Clarinda, endearing himself to the friends of the store by his courteous ways. Cecil was an industrious young man, admired by the older people as well as his young friends.

He is survived by his parents; one sister, Mrs. Richard (Katherine) Cahill of New Market, Iowa; two brothers, Thomas and Michael of the home; a brother-in-law, Richard Cahill and two nephews, Chris and Allen Cahill of New Market; his paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. George Crawford of Clarinda, a number of uncles, aunts, cousins and many, many friends.

[Crawford, Edna Indiana Baker]

Taylor County Herald

Thursday     April 13, 1944    [p. 1]

Mrs. Crawford Dies Monday in Clarinda

Mrs. Cecil [Mark] Crawford [Edna Indiana Baker], 45, died Monday night, April 11, at the Clarinda Municipal hospital after a short illness. Her husband, former Page county sheriff, was killed just a year ago on the same date.

She is survived by her mother and three sisters.

Funeral services were held from Walker funeral home in Clarinda Wednesday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. Roe of the Methodist church. Interment was in Clarinda cemetery.

[Crawford, Elizabeth Leora "Lizzie" Alexander]

Bedford Times-Republican

Thursday    November 22, 1928    [p. 1]

Mrs. Lizzie Crawford

Howard Hensley handed this office the following obituary of his niece, Mrs. Lizzie Crawford, taken from the New Market Herald:

Lizzie [Elizabeth] Leora Alexander, daughter of [Samuel] David and Eliza [Hensley] Alexander, was born in Monroe County, Indiana, February 15, 1862, and passed away at her home near New Market, Iowa, November 4, 1928, at the age of 66 years, 8 months and 20 days. When nine years of age she came with her parents to Taylor county, Iowa, and on September 11, 1878, was united in marriage to Samuel J. [ames] Crawford. To this union twelve children were born, six boys and six girls. Her husband passed away August 2, 1921. Also three daughters have passed away: Myrtle, January 5, 1895; [Bertha] Mae, February 19th, 1899; and Mrs. Ruby [Elizabeth] Ingram, May 18, 1925. The living children are Mrs. Iowa Weaver, Palmyra, Nebr.; Mrs. Ella Hills, Linneus, Mo.; Mrs. Anna [Mary Ann] Ginther Meadville, Mo.; Oren [Oliver], [Samuel] Dennis, George [Marion] and Howard, reside near New Market; Cecil [Mark] and Ledger [Nathan], near Clarinda. Besides her children she leaves three sisters, Mrs. Maggie Crawford, Caldwell, Idaho; Mrs. Pearlie Wagoner, Holly, Colo.; and Mrs. Ollie Jamison, Knowles, Okla.; also eighteen grandchildren and six great grandchildren. When young, she accepted Christ as her Savior and united with the Baptist church, which she loved so well. Most of her life has been spent in this neighborhood, having lived at the old home for almost 55 years. She was greatly devoted to her husband and the care of the large family given her, but with the many problems that necessarily belong with raising such a large family, she was always ready to do her full share for the welfare of the community in which she lived. She was a member of the Valley Sunshine Club, which she greatly enjoyed. Although her passing came suddenly and peacefully, she has been in failing heath for several months and has often said to those around her she was ready to go when her Savior called her.

"The precious one from us has


The voice we loved is stilled.

A place is vacant in our home,

Which never can be filled."

The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon, November 7, from the New Market Baptist church in charge of Rev. Dice and burial was made in Memory cemetery.

The sincere sympathy of the community is extended to the sorrowing ones in their bereavement.

[Crawford, Ethel Pearl Shore]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    October 29, 1959    p. 4

Mrs. Pearl Crawford Of New Market Dies

Mrs. [Ethel] Pearl [Shore] Crawford of New Market passed away Friday morning, October 23 at an Iowa City hospital. She leaves to mourn her passing a son, Kenneth Crawford of Auburn, Calif.; a daughter, Mrs. Ethel Anderson of Durant; a brother, Victor Shore of Winterhaven, Florida; two sisters, Mrs. George Webb and Mrs. Tommy Harris of New Market.

Funeral services were held at the New Market Methodist church Monday afternoon, with burial at New Market. Rev. Lacy Thompson officiated.

[Crawford, George Marion]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    October 28, 1965    p. 4

Geo. Crawford rites oct. 24

Funeral services for George [Marion] Crawford, 70, lifelong farmer and stock buyer in Page and Taylor counties, were held Oct. 24 at the Clarinda Christian Church. Mr. Crawford died Oct. 21 at Clarinda Municipal Hospital. Interment was at the Clarinda cemetery.

Mr. Crawford was born [January 25, 1895] on a farm near Gravity. His wife is the former Nina Moore of Gravity to whom he was married in 1914.

 Mr. Crawford farmed in Taylor County until moving to Clarinda several years ago. At the time of his death, he was vice-president of the Federal Land Bank Assoc. and had been a partner in the Clarinda Auction Co. for 28 years.

Survivors include his wife, Nina; four sons, Wade, Clark, Dale and Ralph Crawford, all of the Clarinda community; two brothers, Ledge [r Nathan] Crawford, New Market, Iowa, and Howard [H.]Crawford, Minneapolis, Minn.; two sisters, Mrs. Anna [Mary Ann] Guenther [Ginther], Meadville, Mo., and Mrs. Ella Hills, Chillicothe, Mo.; 11 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

[Crawford, Howard H.]

Clarinda Herald Journal

Monday     February 4, 1974

New Market burial for Howard Crawford  

Services for Howard [H.] Crawford, 76, will be held at 2 pm Wednesday [February 6, 1974] at the Lavelle Funeral Home with Rev John Clark officiating. Burial will be in Old Memory Cemetery at New Market.

He died early Monday morning [February 4, 1974] at the Municipal Hospital in Clarinda after being hospitalized for two weeks.

He was born Aug 30,1897, near Gravity, the son of Samuel [James] and Lizzie [Elizabeth Leora] Alexander Crawford. He was reared in the Gravity and New Market areas.

He was married to Helen [M.] Grove on May 17, 1923, at Bedford. They lived in Bedford and Minneapolis, Minn, before moving back to Clarinda four years ago, the home being at 601 East Main.

He was a member of the Christian Church in Clarinda.

He was preceded in death by his parents, six sisters and five brothers.

Survivors include his wife, two sons, Stanley of Minneapolis, Minn, and Allan of Meriden, Conn, four grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

[Crawford, Ida Glenn Cade]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    December 31, 1964    [p. 1]

Mrs. I. Crawford Dies In Clarinda

Funeral services for Mrs. Ida [Glenn Cade] Crawford were held Dec. 28 at the Walker Funeral Home in Clarinda with Rev. Ralph G. Allen in charge. Mrs. Crawford died in her home Dec. 26. Interment was at the Memory Cemetery, New Market.

A native of New Market, she had moved to Clarinda from New Market shortly after the death of her husband, [Samuel] Dennis Crawford, in the fall of 1959. Her entire lifetime was spent in Page and Taylor counties. When able to work she had been superintendent of the employees lodge at the Mental Health Institute for 15years. She was a member of the Christian Church in Clarinda.

She is survived by a sister, Mrs Newt (Carrie) Jones, New Market, five nieces, and three nephews.

[Crawford, Ledger Nathan "Ledge"]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    February 3, 1966    p. 4

Ledge Crawford Rites Jan. 31

Ledge [r Nathan] Crawford, 78, well known New Market resident, died at the Clarinda Municipal Hospital Jan. 29, having been in failing health for about four years.

The son of the late Samuel [James] and Lizzie [Elizabeth] Leora Alexander Crawford, he was born [December 2, 1887] on a farm near Gravity and spent most of his life in Taylor County.  His lifetime work was farming, but from 1933 until 1953, he lived at Lincoln where he was employed at the Mental Health Institute.  He had also worked at the Clarinda MHI. He has lived the last 13 years in and around New Market.

Surviving him are his wife, the former Pearl Bates of New Market; three daughters, Mrs. Oma Morgan of Iowa Falls, Mrs. William Hohman, and Mrs. Bennie (Waive) Wolfe, both of Cherokee; a stepson, Orville Bates of St. Joseph, a brother, Howard [H.] Crawford of Minneapolis; and two sisters, Mrs. Scott [Lee] (Anna) [Mary Ann] Guenther [Ginther] of Meadville, Mo. and Mrs. Ella Hills of Chillicothe, Mo.

Funeral services were conducted from the Walker Funeral Home Jan. 31 with Preacher Glen Mitchell from the New Market Church of Christ in charge.  Burial was in Memory Cemetery near New Market.

[Note:  Source of birth date:  World War I Draft Registration card]

[Crawford, Oren Oliver]

Bedford Times-Republican

Thursday    January 3, 1929    [p. 1]

Oren O. Crawford

Oren O.[liver]  Crawford, son of Samuel J. [ames] and Lizzie L. [eora Alexander], was born in Page county, Iowa, August 31st, 1882, and departed this life December 23, 1928. He was 46 years, 5 months and 22 days of age at the time of his passing away in his home, following a fight of several weeks against the grim reaper. On Nov. 14, he fell from his garage, injuring his back and spine, which together with complications was the direct cause of his death. All that loving hands and medical skill could do was done, but all to no avail. His untimely death comes as a severe blow to his relatives and friends.

 When but an infant he, with his father and mother, moved to Taylor County some 5 miles northeast of New Market. Here was the scene of his development and of affection. He attended the Frog Valley School. He was married March 15, 1904, to Ethel Pearl Shore who shared with him a happy life for nearly a quarter of a century. They were blessed with three children, Harry Robert who died in infancy, Kenneth Miles and Ethel Lucile. The family has lived 22 years in their present home. Next to his family and neighbors he loved the Masonic lodge best of all, having been an active member for several years. He was a member of Covenant Lodge No. 453 A. F. & A. M. He has served as Trustee of Dallas Township and in other ways contributed to civic betterment of the community in which he lived. Oren was of a generous disposition, always ready to assist in any worthy undertaking. He was a fine citizen and will be sadly missed by his neighbors and his friends as well as by the immediate family circle. His father and mother and three sisters, Myrtle, [Bertha] Mae and Mrs. Ruby Ingram preceded him in death. He leaves to mourn his demise, his loving wife, his son and daughter, his three sisters, Iowa Weaver of Palmyra, Nebr., Ella Hills of Linneus, Mo., Anna [Mary Ann] Ginther of Meadville, Mo.; five brothers, Ledger [Nathan] and Cecil [Mark] of Clarinda, [Samuel] Dennis, Howard [H.] and George [Marion] of New Market; a large number of relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held in the New Market M. E. church December 26, 1928. The pastor, Rev. C. F. Smith, officiated. Interment was in the Old Memory cemetery, this service being conducted by the Masonic Order.

[Crawford, Pearl Sturm Bates]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    December 8, 1966    p. 6

Final Rites Are Held For Mrs. Crawford

Funeral services for Mrs. Ledge (Pearl) Crawford, 80, of New Market were held November 27 at the Walker Funeral Home in Clarinda with Preacher Glen Mitchell in charge. Mrs. Crawford died November 25 at Clarinda Municipal Hospital. Interment was at Memory Cemetery, New Market.

Mrs. Pearl Crawford was born July 9, 1886 near Dunlap, Ill. She was the daughter of T. [homas] J. [efferson] and Nora Sturm [Eupha Lenora Hegwood]. When she was eight years old, the family moved to a farm near Sharpsburg, Ia. In 1904 Pearl was married to Roy Bates. To this union one son was born, Orval Edwin Bates. They lived on a farm near Sharpsburg until Mr. Bates died.

On July 9, 1929 she was married to Ledge Crawford. Pearl and Ledge worked in Lincoln, Nebr. at the Mental Health Institute until 1951. They moved to a farm northeast of New Market.

In 1958 they moved to New Market and lived in the house in northwest New Market until the recent illness of Mrs. Crawford. Ledge died on Jan. 29, 1966.

She was preceded in death by her parents, and one brother and sister.

Besides her son Orval of McCook, Nebr., and three stepdaughters, Mrs. Oma Morgan of Iowa Falls, Mrs. William Hohman and Mrs. Waive Wolfe of Cherokee, she is survived by two sisters, Olive Cummings of Council Bluffs and Lula Beemer of Creston, and two brothers, Hari [Harlie] Sturm of Gravity, and Irve [Irvin] Sturm of Belt, Mont. She had four granddaughters and 12 great grandchildren.

She was an avid writer.  She loved to receive cards and letters and many people have received cards and letters expressing her concern for their welfare.

Pearl was a member of the New Market Church of Christ and attended as long as health permitted.

[Crawford, Samuel Dennis]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    August 27, 1959    p. 7

new market

Obituary Dennis Crawford

[Samuel] Dennis Crawford, 70, son of Samuel [James] and Lizzie [Elizabeth Leora Alexander] Crawford, was born in Taylor County, Iowa, on August 3, 1889 and died Thursday Aug. 20.

His entire life was spent farming in this vicinity with the exception of 13 years when he was employed at the Clarinda State hospital.

He was united in marriage to Ida G. [lenn] Cade on October 11, 1911.

He was united with the Church of Christ in New Market and was baptized on April 22, 1959.

He leaves to mourn their loss his wife; three brothers, Ledge of New Market, George [Marion] of Clarinda, and Howard of Spokane, Washington; three sisters, Iowa Weaver of Burley, Idaho, Ella Hills of Chillicothe, Mo., and Anna [Mary Ann] Ginther of Meadville, Mo., his nephews and niece and a host of friends.


Relatives from a distance attending the funeral for Dennis Crawford were: Howard Crawford of Spokane, Wash.; Kenneth Crawford of Auburn, Calif.; Mrs. Helen Crawford and son Stanley of Minneapolis, Minn.; Mr. and Mrs. Bennie Wolf of Cherokee; Mrs. Oma Morgan of Mondamin; Mr. and Mrs. Guenther [Ginther] of Meadville, Mo.; Mrs. Ola Eubanks and Mrs. Velma Jones of Kansas City; Mr. and Mrs. Don Jones of Shenandoah; Mr. and Mrs. Frey of Kansas City, Mo.

[Crawford, Samuel James "Sam"]

Bedford Free Press

Thursday    August 11, 1921    p. 5

Sam Crawford Dies Suddenly.

Tuesday morning, soon after arriving at Clarinda, on the morning train, Sam Crawford died before medical assistance could reach him, at the Burlington hotel in that city.

In his usual health, Mr. Crawford left home Tuesday morning to go to Ladoga, where he would take the morning train to Clarinda, walking over from the farm, which is not far. He feared he would miss the train so hurried along, running part of the way. Arriving at Ladoga he complained of feeling badly but with assistance he was able to get on the train when it arrived.

R. J. Wallace of this place, was on the train and advised that he get off at New Market and see a doctor. Mr. Crawford insisted in going on and Mr. Wallace took care of him as far as Clarinda when he was taken over by Allie Pullen and Grant Taylor, who got on the train at New Market.

At Clarinda his condition was found to be serious, and he was assisted to the Burlington hotel near the depot, and medical assistance called. He suddenly grew worse and passed away before the doctor arrived.

The family was notified and his sons were soon in Clarinda. The hearse from New Market was ordered and the body brought back to the family home west of here.

The funeral was held Thursday afternoon from the Baptist church in New Market at 2 o'clock. —Gravity Independent.

[Crawford, Samuel James "Sam"]

New Market Herald

Thursday    August 4, 1921    p. 3

Sam Crawford Dead

Sam Crawford died Tuesday morning at the Burlington hotel in Clarinda. He left home that morning to walk to Ladoga to take the train for Clarinda and in order to do so he had to run quite a distance. Soon after getting on the train he began to feel bad, continuing to grow worse with each passing minute. When the train reached Clarinda he was assisted from the train by Allie Pullan and Grant Taylor who took him to the hotel and summoned a physician. Before the medical assistance arrived he had passed away. It is supposed that he over exerted himself in running and bursted a blood vessel.

The remains were removed at once to his home northeast of town and funeral services were held today, Thursday.

Sam, as he was familiarly called, was one of our well-known and respected citizens and his sudden passing cast a gloom over the entire community. Obituary will appear next week.

[Crawford, Samuel James "Sam"]

New Market Herald

Thursday    August 11, 1921    p. 2

S. J. Crawford

This community was greatly shocked and saddened Tuesday morning, Aug. 2, when the news spread through the community that Sam Crawford had so suddenly passed away in Clarinda.

His death being so sudden was caused by a blood vessel bursting in the heart, causing his death before medical aid could reach him.

Samuel James Crawford was born in Green Co., Ind., Sept. 13, 1856.  Departed this life August 2, 1921, aged 64 years 16 months and 19 days.

In 1876 he came to Taylor Co., Ia.  Here he met and married Lizzie [Elizabeth] Leora Alexander September 11, 1878.  To this union twelve children wee born, six girls and six boys, ten of which are living.  They are Mrs. Iowa Catuska, Bedford, Mrs. Ella Hills, Linneus, Mo., Mrs. Anna [Mary Ann]  Guenther [Ginther], Meadville, Mo., Oren [Oliver], Ledger [Nathan], [Samuel] Dennis and George [Marion] of near New Market, Cecil [Mark], Howard and Ruby [Elizabeth] are at home, [Bertha] May and Myrtle having proceeded him to the better world several years ago. There are fourteen grandchildren and one great grandson.

Besides his wife and children he leaves to mourn his death, an aged father of Washburn, Ill., one sister, Mrs. Belle Ashbaugh, of South Bend, Ind., three brothers, Harry E. and Nelson B. of Washburn, Ill. and John of Caldwell, Ida.

When a young man he united with the Christian church and since, he has been a believer and follower of the Golden Rule.

There is a vacant chair in the home; a husband and father is gone after a life spent in devotion to his family.

The community has lost a friend and neighbor whose place cannot be filled.

The services were held 2:30 Thursday in the Baptist church conducted by Rev. T. H. Dabney.

[Crawford, Samuel James "Sam"]

Bedford Times-Republican

August 8, 1921    p. 8


Samuel J. Crawford from Near New Market Succumbed to Heart Failure

Tuesday morning when Samuel J. [ames] Crawford, who lived near New Market, reached Clarinda on the 10:30 train from the east, he felt ill, and was taken to the Burlington Hotel nearby, by friends on the train to whom he made known his condition.

A doctor was called, but before he arrived, Mr. Crawford had passed away, from heart failure. He had made a strenuous run to catch the train, he told his friends, and apparently the physical exertion had proven too much for him.

Coroner Harmon was called, and viewed the body, but said no inquest was necessary. The relatives were phoned of the sad affair, and drove over promptly, together with the undertaker from New Market, who took charge of the body.

Mr. Crawford was 64 years of age, and has several grown children and relatives. —Clarinda Herald.