submitted by: Julia Johnson -

 [Darling, Fred Elmer]


Thursday     March 18, 1920

Brought Brother's Body

Mark Darling, who is located at Kimball, Neb., accompanied his brother's body [Fred Elmer] from Cheyenne, Wyoming, to Bedford, where it was laid to rest Tuesday.  Mark gave this office a pleasant call yesterday and informed us that he and his brother Ned were in the restaurant business and were doing fine.  He will return to his western home some time next week.

[Darling, Fred Elmer]


Thursday     March 18, 1920

Attended Father's Funeral

Misses May, Florence and Gertrude Darling, who were here the first of the week to attend their father's funeral [Fred Elmer], returned to their home at Omaha, Nebr., today.

[Darling, Fred Elmer]


Thursday    March 18, 1920


Fred Elmer Darling was born in Jones County, Iowa, April 30, 1870, and departed this life March 14, 1920, at Cheyenne, Wyo., aged 49 years, 10 months and 14 days.

He was the son of C. [harles] H. [enry] Darling and wife [Catherine Alice Murphy].  Was married to Maggie [Margaret Agnes] O'Rourke, in 1896.  The wife preceded him in death, passing out of this life in December, 1916.

Three daughters were born to this union, Mae, Florence and Gertrude Darling, all of whom reside in Omaha, Neb.

Mr. Darling grew to manhood in and near Bedford, Iowa.  About the year 1890 he went west and for the last 10 years has made his home in Nebraska.  He was a member of the local electrical union in Lincoln.  He was a believer in the Gospel truth, and often read from God's Holy Word.

For several months he has been failing in health, and like one of old laid plans for setting his house and business in order.

He leaves to mourn his loss, his three daughters, father, four brothers and two sisters.

Appropriate funeral services were held at the home of Mr. C. [harles] H. [enry] Darling; Rev. John F. Arnold of the Methodist church preached a short sermon.  Interment at Platteville cemetery.

[Darling, Charles Henry]

Bedford Times-Republican

Thursday    December 8, 1927

Charles H. Darling

Charles Henry Darling, son of Charles and Amanda [Tucker Booth] Darling, was born August 14, 1844, in Lake County, Illinois, where he lived until he was 20 years old.  In the spring of 1865, the family moved to Jones County, Iowa.  On Feb. 22, 1868, at Anamosa, Mr. Darling was united in marriage to Miss Katherine [Alice] Murphy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Murphy [Elizabeth Courey].  To this union eight children were born:  William W. [alter], of Lebanon, Mo.; Fred [Elmer], who died March 14th, 1920; Chas. Daniel, who died Dec. 13, 1892; Mrs. Amanda [Elizabeth] Swearingen, of Bedford; George L.[ewis], of Canon City Colo.; Mrs. Katie Ruth Beam of Martensdale; Ned A.[llen], of Kimball, Nebr., and Mark T. [odd], of Oakland, Calif.  There are eleven grandchildren:  Mrs. Faye Swearingen McCrea, of Bedford; May, Florence and Gertrude Darling, all of Omaha, daughters of Fred Darling; Blanche, Charles and John Darling, of Canon City, Colo.; Charles, George, Burl and Max Beam, of Martensdale; and one great grandchild, Betty Lou, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Claude McCrea, of Bedford.  Mr. and Mrs. Darling moved to Taylor County in 1876, and to Bedford in 1895.  Mrs. Darling died Nov. 30, 1916.  Mr. Darling was employed in the United States mail service for 25 years.  Since his retirement in 1920, he has spent the time visiting his children and other relatives, all of whom looked forward with pleasure to his coming and regretted his departures.  He has always considered his home to be in Bedford with his daughter, Mrs. Lewis Swearingen [Amanda Elizabeth], in the property where he had lived since he first moved to Bedford.  He returned here about a month ago and had been in very good health for one of his age, until suddenly taken ill in the post office Monday morning, and at 10:35 Tuesday evening, November 29, he quietly passed away, at the age of 83 years, 3 months and 15 days.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church on Saturday, Dec. 3, 1927, at 2:30 p. m., conducted by Rev. L. T. Goodwin of Shenandoah and Rev. G. T. Roberts of Bedford.  Interment was made at Platteville.

Relatives from a distance who were present at the funeral were the three sons, William, George and Ned; Mrs. Beam and family; Mrs. Pearl Murphy and Mrs. Iva Fluke and daughters Beulah and Viola of Penalosa, Kans.; Mrs. Edna Brown of Kingman, Kans.; Florence and Gertrude Darling of Omaha.  One son, Mark, was unable to be present.

[Darling, Eula Kuhn]


Thursday    January 22, 1931

Mrs. Mark Darling Passed Away Friday

Her Death Followed Operation Performed Monday

Mrs. Lewis Swearingen [Amanda Elizabeth Darling] received a message Friday from Oakland, Calif., announcing the death of her sister-in-law, Mrs. Mark Darling [Eula Kuhn], which occurred that day.  Mrs. Darling submitted to an operation Monday of last week.

[Darling, Eula Kuhn]

Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California)

Friday    January 16, 1931


Darling---In Oakland, January 16, 1931, Eula B. Darling, beloved wife of Mark T.[odd] Darling, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John D. Kuhn of Littleton, Colorado, cousin of Frank M. Brock of Vallejo; a native of Nebraska, aged 29 years.

Funeral notice later.  Friends may call at Truman's, Telegraph Avenue and Thirtieth Street, Oakland.

[Haddock, John McAllaster]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    July 21, 1949    [p. 1]

Hold Haddock Rites Monday

John M. Haddock, Bedford attorney and long-time resident, died unexpectedly Friday afternoon as he was enroute from Hopkins to Bedford with Mr. and Mrs. Wm. T. Meikle and daughter Julia, where they had taken him to consult a physician.

The funeral services were held at the Shum Funeral Home Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Gordon F. MacLean.  Burial was in the Fairview cemetery.

John McAllister [McAllaster] Haddock, son of G. [eorge] B. [oyd] and Cynthia B. [rooks McAllaster] Haddock, was born at Perryville, Ark., March 27, 1872, being aged 77 years, 3 months and 18 days at the time of his death.

Early in life he became a member of the Presbyterian Church.  He was a graduate of the Bedford High School with the class of 1889 and received his law degree from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.

For several years he was a member of the firm of G. [eorge] B. [oyd] Haddock and Sons; later practicing law in Wapello, Iowa and Portland, Oregon.  In 1920 he returned to Bedford to take over the law practice of his father, and had resided here since.

In 1890 he married Miss Margaret Carrigan of Wapello, Iowa.  Their daughter passed away in infancy.  His wife preceded him in death on September 25, 1942.

He is survived by one brother, Ross B. [oyd] Haddock of Shoshone, Idaho, who, with his wife, arrived in Bedford Sunday for the last rites.

[Haddock, Margaret Dorcas Carrigan]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    October 1, 1942 

Margaret C. Haddock

Margaret C. Haddock was born at Wapello in Louisa County, Iowa, on March 20th, 1871.  Her maiden name was Margaret Dorcas Carrigan.  She died at Bedford, Iowa, on September 25th, 1942.

She was educated in the public schools of Wapello and after graduation she taught school in various places in Louisa County.  She taught in the public schools of Clarinda, Iowa, for the school years of 1897-98 and 1898-99 and in June 1899 she was married to J. [ohn] M. [cAllaster] Haddock, who survives her.

She is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Fannie Shaw of Grandview, Iowa; a brother, Lewis Carrigan who lives in California and by numerous nephews and nieces.

Her married life was spent in Bedford, Iowa and in Portland, Oregon, where she and her husband lived for about twelve years.  Upon her return to Bedford in 1921 she became active in church and social affairs.  By her energy and diplomacy, she brought to a conclusion the plans for building a manse for the Presbyterian Church, a project which had languished for a number of years.

The manse is built from plans and specifications of a friend's house in Portland, which she greatly admired and because of the great convenience and practicality of the house they embodied, she procured them for use in construction of the manse.

She was also instrumental in securing for Bedford the Finn Character Building Fund, the details of which were worked out in a lengthy correspondence between herself and the Hon. G. L. Finn of Los Angeles, who was a former resident of Bedford.

She was a good wife, a good daughter, and a good sister.  She returned to her parents' home in Wapello to nurse both her father and her mother during their last illness.  She went to the bedside of her sister, Mary, during a critical illness, and remained with her until all danger was over.  Her sister, Elizabeth Carrigan, died at her home in Bedford in 1925, after careful and tender nursing by her.

She was tender, generous and loving; and was sympathetic and considerate to all with whom she came in contact.

Some time about 1930 as nearly as can now be determined, she began to be afflicted with an insidious and deadly disease, which ultimately resulted in her death.  Whatever name physicians may give to this disease, it is in effect a hardening of the arteries in the brain, thus cutting off the normal supply of blood, which feeds the brain cells and enables them to function.

The results are a very gradual reduction in mental activity and the ultimate loss or serious impairment of one mental faculty after another.   Physicians do not know the cause and they have no remedy for this disease.  Its course is gradual but inexorable; and ultimately all or nearly all mental activity is suppressed.

She knew she was failing and made indomitable efforts to help herself.  She took long walks.  She studied Spanish and French through lessons received over the radio.  She devoted much time to her music and frequently sang the songs she liked best.  One of these, which she sang most often, was "In The Garden," and she appeared to derive great comfort from it.  It was sung at her funeral.

In the fall of 1939 she and her husband moved to an apartment at the rear of his office, where he could be with her constantly, while working at his profession.  During the next two years she sat at a window beside her husband's desk, watching the passing throngs.  She particularly liked to listen to the laughter and banter of the children passing on their way to and from school and many many times smiled and called attention to some boisterous shout or laughter.

As her malady progressed she would tire earlier and earlier each day of her window vigil and ask to lie down; and finally, about a year ago, she became partially paralyzed in her right side and took to her bed.  A hospital bed was at once ordered and she was placed in it in September 1941, and did not leave it until her death.

During all of her illness, from first to last, she uttered no word of complaint.  She accepted the situation but has fought it inch by inch with every ounce of her strength. She would sing or whistle the airs she liked best, for hours at a time; and this at night, when sleepless, as well as in the day time.  Later, to a large extent, she lost the power of speech, but she substituted therefore a species of crooning and various inarticulate noises, which were her own means of keeping up her courage and resistance.

Toward the very last, there were times when she did little but lie in bed, quiet and inert.  But at frequent intervals, even then, she would rouse herself, and begin again the crooning and noises which were her only means of asserting that she was still the captain of her soul; and which constituted her song of defiance to death and desolation.  No human being ever made a more heroic or more persistent fight against overwhelming ills.

The funeral was held from the Presbyterian Church in Bedford, on Sunday, September 27th, at two o'clock p. m.  The service was conducted by Rev. John A. Currie of Tarkio, Missouri, a former acquaintance of the family, who has officiated similarly in previous years in the family of G. [eorge] B. [oyd] Haddock.  Interment was made in the Haddock family lot in Fairview Cemetery.

[Note: The same obituary was published in the Taylor County Herald, October 1, 1942.]

[Haddock, Margaret Dorcas Carrigan]

Taylor County Herald

Thursday    October 1, 1942    [p. 1]

Funeral Services Held Sunday For Mrs. J. M. Haddock

Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian Church Sunday afternoon for Mrs. Margaret C. Haddock who died in Bedford Friday after a long illness of about 12 years.  The Rev. John A. Currie of Tarkio, Mo., officiated at the services.  Burial was in Fairview cemetery.

Mrs. Haddock was born Margaret Dorcas Carrigan at Wapello, Louisa County, Ia., on March 20, 1871.  She was married to J. [ohn] M. [cAllaster] Haddock in June 1899, spending her married life in Portland, Ore., for about 12 years, and the rest in Bedford.

Besides her husband, she is survived by a sister, Mrs. Fannie Shaw of Grandview, Ia.; a brother, Lewis Carrigan of California; and numerous nephews and nieces.

[Haddock, Paul Stewart]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    January 14, 1943    [p. 1]

Paul S. Haddock Dies In Idaho

Paul S. [tewart] Haddock, a former resident of Bedford, died at his home in Shoshone, Idaho, January 9, 1943, after an illness of about six weeks.  He was sixty-nine years of age.

He was a son of the late Attorney and Mrs. G. [eorge] B. [oyd] Haddock [Cynthia Brooks McAllaster], Bedford, and a brother of Atty. J. [ohn] M.[cAllaster] Haddock of Bedford.  He was at one time a member of the law firm of Haddock & Son of Bedford.  He left Iowa about 1906 and located in Shoshone, Idaho, where he had since resided and where he was engaged in the handling of irrigated tracts of land.

He is survived by his widow, Maggie Haddock, who was formerly Maggie Fowler of Bedford; and by two children, Geo. B. [oyd] Haddock of Denver, Colorado, and Lucile Haddock of Burbank, California; two grandchildren, Cynthia Haddock and Terry Haddock of Denver; and by two brothers, Ross B.[oyd] Haddock of Shoshone, Idaho, and J. [ohn] M. [cAllaster] Haddock of Bedford.

[Haddock, George Boyd]


Thursday    June 5, 1919

G. B. Haddock Died At Rochester, Minn.

Bedford's Ex-Mayor Passes Away Tuesday Morning At Hospital

One of Bedford's Foremost Citizens Joins the Silent Caravan and Remains Are Brought To Former Scenes of Activity For Burial

A bow of black crepe hanging on the door of the office of Haddock & Son Tuesday morning was the first intimation many of the people of Bedford had that G. [eorge] B. [oyd] Haddock had passed away.  The remains were brought to Bedford Wednesday afternoon from Rochester, Minn., where the death occurred, accompanied by his sons, Paul and Ross, both of whom were with him at the time of his death.  The other son, John, who is an attorney at Portland, Ore., was unable to arrive in time to see his father before his death but will be here for the funeral.

 Mr. Haddock went to Rochester five or six weeks ago for an operation for an enlarged prostate gland.  His weakened condition made it advisable not to operate at that time, and he was taking treatment at the Mayo Brothers hospital to regain his strength before undergoing the ordeal.  It was while in the hospital that he received a backset and pneumonia followed, terminating in his death at 7:50 Tuesday morning.

George B. [oyd] Haddock was born in Ireland, July 8, 1846, but came to this country with his parents when but a young lad.  They located first in Pennsylvania, but soon moved to Johnson County, Iowa.  Here they farmed until Mr. Haddock left for Russellville, Ark., to accept a position to teach school, just about the close of the Civil War.  Here he maintained his independent thinking and upheld the cause of the Union.  The strife that continued in that locality at the close of the war made this quite unpopular and a position most difficult to maintain.  He remained there, however, until one day one of his northern friends was shot and not a man had the nerve to go out and give him a respectable burial.  The young schoolmaster went out and performed this last sad rite unassisted, but he found it the part of expediency to immediately vacate the locality.

While there he met and won the affections of Miss Cynthia McAllister [McAllaster] and after their marriage they left for Iowa City.  Here Mr. Haddock entered the law department of the University and graduated with the class of 1877.  The following year they moved to Bedford and Mr. Haddock entered the employ of the abstract firm of Thompson & Burlingame.  Soon after he entered the practice of his profession with H. M. Grimes, since judge at North Platte, Neb.  After a short time he formed a partnership with the late W. [illiam] E.[dwin] Crum, which lasted until 1898, when it was dissolved that Mr. Haddock might take his son, John, into the firm.  The firm of Haddock & Son has continued until the present time, first with John, then Paul, and now with Ross.

His boyhood sweetheart and lifetime helpmeet was called by death on October 16, 1917, leaving him to meet life's last days without her loving care and help.  He has since made his home with his son, Ross, and family.  On the death of the late H. C. Webb, Mr. Haddock was appointed to the unexpired term of mayor of Bedford, which position he resigned when he found his time would be largely taken up in trying to recover his health.

Early in life he became a member of the Presbyterian Church and for many years has served as an elder in the local organization.   He was a man of upright character, strictest integrity, honorable in all his dealing.  He will be sadly missed by his boys as a loving father and adviser, and by the community as one of its best citizens.

A large number of friends, including the bar association, of which he has been president, met the remains at the depot.  Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced.

Upon meeting a few of his closer associates and the question asked as to what they considered his most pronounced characteristic in life, the following replies were made to the writer.

W. E. Crum, Jr.---His strict integrity.

C. V. Dinges—His absolute fearlessness when he thought he was right.

J. P. Flick---His Americanism and good citizenship.

H. P. Jaqua---His real manhood.

W. M. Jackson---His application to business and never was whipped.

[Haddock, George Boyd]


Thursday    June 12, 1919    [p.  1]

Memorial Services For G. B. Haddock

Bar Association Holds Meeting In Honor Of Late Lawyer

Judges Winter and Maxwell Lead Lawyers In Many Beautiful Tributes To the Unselfish Life Of Hon. G. B. Haddock Who Died Recently

The Taylor County Bar Association met Monday night in the courtroom in eulogy of the death of Hon. G. [eorge] B. [oyd] Haddock.  Judge Winter and Judge Maxwell were present.  Speeches were made by the members, which contained many beautiful tributes to the memory of the deceased lawyer.  The following resolutions were adopted:

In Memoriam

Resolution in commemoration of the life and death of Honorable G. [eorge] B.[oyd] Haddock, attorney at law, which occurred at Rochester, Minnesota, on the 3rd day of June, A. D., 1919.

Whereas, it has suited the divine purpose to call hence a comrade and colleague, it is but a fitting recognition of his services and a proper solace to our memory, that we so far as possible erect some lasting if unsubstantial monument in memory of his life.

Therefore, be it resolved by the Taylor County Bar Association of Taylor County, Iowa, That as a body of which he was an honored member and over which he presided as president for a time, we deeply deplore the fact of his departure; that we shall always remember him with affection and esteem.

That we desire to leave this record as our unbiased and final opinion that: as a lawyer he employed neither guile nor garnish, but sought diligently, sincerely, to know the law and apply the law to the truth that through their union justice might be crystallized there from.

In his oral arguments he was concise, lucid, cogent.  His written ones contained the same qualities, and sometimes they approached the dignity of a classic.  He probably embraced more, with fewer words in his written pleadings than any other man known to this bar.  To be compelled to say more was an anomaly; to have anything stricken is not remembered.

As a man, friend and neighbor his whole life exhaled amiability.  The words 'hate' and 'enemy' were not in the dictionary of his life.  To a plea for the exercise of charity, forgiveness or toleration, he possessed a soul as yielding as the mist, but he was in no sense a yielding character.  Against the aggression of wrong, oppression, injustice or sin that yielding soul became a thing of adamant.

In morals, in the conflict of right against wrong, to him no thought of compromise or scheme of divided allegiance ever presented itself; and he was not content with simply doing right—he sought above all to be right; right with his friends, with the world, with the Master.

As a citizen and Christian, for the former in the higher sense is a true yoke fellow of the latter, within the compass of his and our little world, he constantly endeavored to alleviate and lighten; to straighten his neighbor's path and engine his heavier load up the mountain side.  It has been said generally that 'The evil man does lives after him; the good is too often interred with him.'  That can not be true in this case; no man can point to any evil.  Everyone who knew him will remember some good that can not be encompassed by the darkness of the tomb.  He touched elbows with suffering, and no hand outreached for sympathy and encouragement failed to find his grasp.  He gave of his substance, of his influence and life for good.

In a well-known poem a visioned angel was prayed, 'Please write me down as one who loved his fellow man.'  It must be that without being asked to do so this angel has inscribed across an imperishable record of him, 'He loved his fellow-man.'

To the relation of father and husband he brought all of these qualities in a supreme degree and so was affectionate, tolerant, charitable, helpful, and with all a never failing friend and comrade.

Be it further resolved That we ask the court to order these resolutions to be placed on record in the proceedings of the district court of Taylor County, Iowa, and further, that the telegram of Hon. H. M. Towner, a former judge, now a member of congress from this district, and the letter of Hon. Homer A. Fuller, one of the judges of this district, unable to be present, also be entered upon the records in connection with this resolution signed by our president and secretary, to be delivered to the family of the subject hereof.

The above resolution was presented and unanimously adopted at a called meeting of the Taylor County Bar Association of Bedford, Iowa, on the 9th day of June, A. D. 1919.

                        H. P. Jaqua, President

                        R. T. Burrell, Secretary

[Haddock, Cynthia Brooks McAllaster]


Thursday      October 18, 1917    [p. 1]

Mrs. G. B. Haddock Is Laid To Rest

Funeral Services Were Held Wednesday Afternoon

After Several Months of Declining Health Mrs. Haddock Passed Away At Her Home In Bedford October 15, at 1 A. M.

Mrs. G. [eorge] B. [oyd] Haddock died at her home in Bedford Monday morning at 1:00 o'clock, aged 71 years.  The funeral services were held at the home Wednesday, October 17, conducted by Rev. John A. Currie, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church.

When ill health overcomes a noble character in their declining years it gives pleasure to review the life like the one just departed, that of Mrs. G. [eorge] B.[oyd] Haddock.  For several months Mrs. Haddock had been confined more or less to her home.  Always cheerful, never complaining and seemed to get a great amount of pleasure in being out in the open, studying the habits of birds and noting the growth of plants and the several varieties of forest trees that surround her beautiful home.  Mrs. Haddock was held in the highest esteem by all her friends and neighbors.

Cynthia B. [rooks] Haddock was the daughter of Major P. [owers] and Nancy A. [nn Stewart] McAllaster.  She was born at Iowa City, Iowa, December 6, 1845.  At the age of 16 she began teaching school in Butler Co., Iowa, where the family then resided.  In 1870 she went to Arkansas as a schoolteacher and while engaged in that work met G. [eorge] B. [oyd] Haddock who was engaged in similar work at that time.  On May 27, 1871, they were united in marriage near Russellville, Arkansas.  Two of their sons, John M. [cAllister] and Paul S.[tewart] were born in Arkansas.

They came to Bedford in the year 1877 and since that time continued to make this city their home.

With her husband she united with the Presbyterian Church of Bedford, November 24, 1878.  She was a devoted worker and lived a consistent Christian life and had the love and good will of all who knew her.  About a year ago, her health began to fail and in spite of all that could be done by medical skill, she gradually declined.  She passed away Oct. 15, 1917 at 1 a. m., aged 71 years, 10 months and 9 days.

Besides the bereaved husband she leaves to mourn her departure three sons, John M. [cAllister] Haddock of Portland, Oregon, Paul S. [tewart] Haddock of Shoshone, Idaho, Ross B. [oyd] Haddock of Bedford, six grandchildren and a host of friends.

[Haddock, Ross Boyd]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday    January 8, 1953    [p. 1]

Ross Haddock Dies In Idaho

Probate Judge Ross B. [oyd] Haddock, 71, died in his sleep at his home in Shoshone, Idaho, early Sunday morning.  He had been ill for some time with a heart condition.  He had been probate judge in Lincoln County continually since 1945 but had served in the same office off and on since 1932.  He served several terms as prosecuting attorney for Lincoln County, resigning in 1945 to return to the bench.

Judge Haddock was born Nov. 17, 1881, at Bedford.  He was a graduate of Iowa State University and because his father, two brothers, two uncles and an aunt were attorneys it was natural that he took up the practice of law.

Judge Haddock went to Shoshone in 1906 to work in the bank.   His brother, the late Paul Haddock, was practicing law in Shoshone at the time and had started the Haddock Land Company.  In 1908 Judge Haddock moved to Jerome to manage the branch of the land company there and practiced law.  He married Hazel [Anna] Fowler of Bedford in Shoshone on Feb. 16, 1909, and they lived in Boise in 1911 and 1912.

Elected in 1932

In 1912 he returned to Bedford to practice law with his father and then returned to Shoshone in 1919 to set up practice with his brother.  He was elected probate judge in 1932 and served several terms before being elected prosecuting attorney.  In 1946 the office of probate judge was vacated and Judge Haddock resigned as prosecuting attorney to accept the appointment to the bench.

Judge Haddock was secretary of the Shoshone Chamber of Commerce for many years; secretary of Idaho Grazing district five; secretary and treasurer of the Lincoln County Cemetery Association and served as attorney for Shoshone and Richfield for many years.

Survivors Listed

Surviving are his widow; one son, Robert [Boyd] Haddock, Shoshone; three daughters, Mrs. Ellen [McBride] Miller, Shoshone; Mrs. Mary [Frances] Sipe, Tarzana, Calif., and Nancy [McAllaster] Haddock, Los Angeles, and eight grandchildren.

Funeral services were held at the Burdett mortuary chapel with the Rev. E. Leslie Rolls, rector of the Episcopal church in Twin Falls, officiating.  Burial in the Shoshone Cemetery.

[Haddock, James Nesbit]

Bedford Free Press

Thursday    July 13, 1911    p. 3

J. N. Haddock Dies

J. [ames] N. [esbit] Haddock, a former prominent citizen and lawyer of Greenfield, died at the home of his daughter in Cambridge, New York, on Saturday afternoon, July 1, 1911.  He was aged 77 years, 1 month and 1 day.

Mr. Haddock has been failing in health for the past three years.  After his wife died in Greenfield in September, 1908, he abandoned housekeeping and has been making his home with the different members of his family.  About a week before his death, while visiting his daughter, he was taken suddenly ill and as the days passed he grew gradually worse until death intervened and ended his suffering.

James N. [esbit] Haddock was a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was a son of John and Eleanor (McBride) Haddock.  He was the third child of a family of six children.  In 1858 he came to Iowa City, Iowa, and was there engaged in the study of law until 1861, when he returned to Philadelphia and served some time as one of the home guard during the war.  In 1865 he returned to Iowa, where he completed his law course, and after attending the law department of the State University one term, was admitted to the bar.  He practiced at his profession some time before coming to Fontanelle, Adair County, where he practiced with J. H. Bailey, and so continued until 1877, when the partnership was dissolved.  In 1873 he was elected Clerk of the District Court and was re-elected his successor in 1880 and 1882.  He was Clerk of the Court when the county seat was moved from Fontanelle to Greenfield, and for thirty-three years was a resident of Greenfield.  At the conclusion of his third term as County Clerk he took up again the practice of law in Greenfield and enjoyed not only a large business in his chosen profession, but always held the confidence and esteem of his clients.  For several years he was associated with ex-congressman A. L. Hager and later with his son, Rush Haddock.  From 1904 until 1907 he served as Mayor of Greenfield, and in this office as in the others he held, his administration was characterized by integrity and ability.  He was married to Miss Ann J. [ane] Smiley, a native of Pennsylvania in 1862.   To them were born four children, all of whom are still living.  They are Mrs. Nellie J. [osephine] Scott, of Cambridge, New York; George C. [hipman] of Bridgewater; W. [illiam] Rush, of Gooding, Idaho; and Frank, of Brooklyn, New York.

The deceased in the practice of law and as a public servant always enjoyed the confidence of the public.  At no time has he ever been accused of charging an exorbitant fee for his services or appropriating money that wrongfully belonged to him.  The latter days of his law practice were taken up chiefly in the settlement of estates, the people having such confidence in his integrity that he got the major portion of this business to settle.

The body arrived in Greenfield Wednesday morning and was taken to the United Presbyterian church where the funeral services were held at 10 o'clock a. m.  Rev. John Young preached the sermon and Rev. Howie conducted the service, after which the remains were taken to the Greenfield cemetery and laid to rest by the side of his life companion who preceded him to the tomb about three years ago.---Greenfield Free Press