submitted by: Julia Johnson -

Brush Tribune (Brush, Colorado), Friday, January 19, 1912, [p. 1]
Death of Mrs. Amrine
Mrs. Stephen K. Amrine died at her home near Gary, Tuesday, January 16th, after a protracted illness, at the age of 66 years, 9 months and 22 days.
Mrs. Amrine, whose maiden name was Mary J. [ane] Curry, was born at Maysville, Ky., on March 24th, 1845, where she spent her childhood days. In 1863 the family moved to Iowa and on January 30th, 1866, she was married to Stephen K. Amrine of Bedford, Iowa. Twelve children were born to this union, nine of whom remain to mourn her death. Two sons, Bert and William, and two daughters, Mrs. C. F. Gorsuch and Mrs. V. V. Stoops, are residents of this vicinity. A daughter, Mrs. Fair, of Lincoln, Neb., was present at the funeral.
Mrs. Amrine joined the church at an early age and had been a member of the Methodist church nearly all her life. She was a woman of deep spiritual life and was greatly loved in her home and community. The Amrine family have been residents of Morgan county about five years.
The funeral services were conducted from the M. E. church in Brush yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. Guy E. Konkel officiating, after which the remains were laid to their final rest in the Brush cemetery. 

Bedford Free Press, Thursday, April 14, 1921, p. 5
Death Came Last Friday After Operation at St. Joseph Hospital
Funeral services were held in the Methodist church last Monday afternoon for the late A. L. Bibbins and interment made in Fairview cemetery. The services were conducted at the church by Rev. Gable and at the graveside by the K. P. Lodge. A large crowd of friends and relatives paid last tribute at the passing of a long-time business man and resident of Bedford. Following is the obituary as read by the pastor:
Abram Lent Bibbins, the fifth son of Captain James Orsemus Bibbins and Lovisa Storm Bibbins, was born in Hanover, Jackson County, Michigan, October 25, 1855.
His parents who were of Welsh and Holland-Dutch lineage, from among the oldest New York Colonial families, were Michigan pioneers of 1837, and his ancestors included several officers in the Colonial wars, the American Revolution and the War of 1812, and Mr. Bibbins was accordingly entitled to membership in the several patriotic organizations representing these wars.
The Revolutionary Commission of his great-grandfather, Lieut. James Storm, signed by Governor George Clinton, of New York, is among the prize possessions of the family. This ancestor's tomb is in the historical Dutch burial ground at Sleepy Hollow, near Tarrytown, New York, his wife being a direct descendant of William Barneveldt, who fled to this country after the disaster which came to his family at the Hague after the beheading of his father, who was Prime Minister of Holland, by Prince Maurice, for opposing and curbing his imperial ambitions, and for his devotion to the then new doctrine of Arminianism, which is now virtually accepted by every Christian denomination.
Mr. Bibbins, as the son of a pioneer, passed through all the rugged experiences incident to the subduing of the land. He held the breaking-up plow over many stumpy and stony field, and this experience, among others, served to fit him to overcome those obstacles, which everyone must meet who strives for success.
He was educated first in a typical country school and later in the excellent high school in the village of Hanover, of which his father was one of the founders. He later attended the great commercial college at Valparaiso, Indiana, to fit himself for the business career upon which he had determined. He chose this course instead of going to a college of liberal arts, though Albion College, of which his father was one of the original promoters, and a possessor of scholarships, was only a few miles distant. He was, however, a staunch advocate of university training for young people and amply backed this sentiment by giving financial aid to needy college students.

The balance of Mr. Bibbins' training came from actual experience as a clerk in the drug store of his cousin, Dr. Madison Weed Bibbins at Marshalltown, where he began at the very bottom of the ladder and qualified himself by industry and private study to pass the state examination in pharmacy.
Mr. Bibbins came to Bedford in 1883 as an associate to Mr. W. M. Ramsay, whose interest in the business of Ramsay and Bibbins he later bought and thereafter conducted it under his own name, until the disastrous fire of Christmas, 1910, which put a sudden end to a highly successful business, and nearly wrecked his health as well.
While conducting this enterprise he was assisted by several different young men who learned the drug business with him, just as he had done under his cousin in Marshalltown. Among those who profited by this practical experience was his nephew, Mr. Walter E. Dean, who later married Miss Cordius Cole, the daughter of a former resident, and is now doing business in Compton, California. Mr. George Graff, now of Des Moines, and later another nephew, Mr. Arthur W. Bibbins gained similar valuable experience in his store; the latter having recently returned from service with the American Expeditionary Forces in France as a Lieutenant of Artillery and now occupying an important position as chemist in one of the large mining companies at Virginia City, Wisconsin
Having made his home at the Hotel Garland almost from the date of his coming to Bedford, and finding congenial surroundings there, he purchased this property in 1911 and has from time to time personally managed it with success; while he has conducted therefrom, as a base, a number of other lines of business, including real estate.
Mr. Bibbins' love for the study of nature manifested itself while a lad on the farm, in the glaciated section of southern Michigan, in his habit of collecting singular and beautiful stones of every kind to adorn the various rockeries about his home. These collections were later found by a trained geologist to be of distinct value to an eastern museum, and many of the specimens were secured for illustrative purposes. His love of nature also found expression in his passion for flowers and for the housing and feeding of wild and domestic birds and animals of many kinds.

Mr. Bibbins was reared in a typical Methodist family of the old school, whose traditions date back to the days of the emissaries whom Bishop Asbury sent up the Hudson and under whose influence his ancestors became Christians and factors in early American Methodism. To these facts he owed his sturdy moral character, his tender heart, and purity of life, his generous altruistic impulses and his keen interest in educational matters to which all Methodist are pledged, by reason of the birth of their denomination in old Oxford University.
Though Mr. Bibbins had in fact been in very delicate health for a number of years, almost no one was aware of it, not even his nearest kins people, to whom the news of the immediate necessity of a serious operation came as a distinct shock. The operation was performed by his physician and Dr. Schmidt at Ensworth Hospital, St. Joseph, Mo., where he passed away, very peacefully on Friday, April 8th, 1921 some hours later.
He was a member of the Bedford Lodge, Knights of Pythias, No. 101, also of the Bedford Lodge of Odd Fellows, No. 91.
Mr. Bibbins is survived by a sister, Mrs. Emma Bibbins Dean of Albion, Michigan, whose son, Mr. George E. Dean is president of the Union Steel Product Company Limited of that city; also by two brothers, Mr. Olin A. Bibbins, now in Alaska, and Dr. Arthur B. Bibbins, who for twenty years was in charge of a department of geology of Goucher College, Baltimore, a former member of U. S. and Maryland Geological Surveys and now president of the Maryland Academy of Sciences.
The relatives of Mr. Bibbins fully expected to have his remains interred in the family burial ground near his old home in Michigan but found that he had made every provision for burial here, where, as he remarked, "everyone knew him" and where he had lived and wrought for some thirty-eight years amid congenial spirits and surroundings.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 24, 1898
--The mother of A.[bram] L. [ent] Bibbins died at her home in Hanover, Mich., Monday of last week and was buried Wednesday. Mr. Bibbins' many Bedford friends will sympathize with him in this his most painful of all bereavements and misfortunes.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), December 13, 1928, p. 6
Margaret Scott Blane – Margaret Nancy Scott was born near Kenton, Ohio, on the 12th day of April 1845 and departed this life from the home of her son, Guy Blane, in Shenandoah, Iowa, on the 5thday of December 1928, at the age of 83 years, 7 months and 24 days. Mrs. Blane's illness was of a very short duration and almost before her loved ones realized her serious condition, she passed on. However, all that human agency could do was done, looking toward her comfort, but as in many cases in life it was God's will that Grandma Blane be taken. On the 6th day of October 1868, she was united in marriage to W. [illiam] F. [rancis] Blane and to this happy union 10 children were born as follows: Charles and Paul of Bedford; Guy and Frank of Shenandoah; Iris Fox of Bedford; Lida Wood of Conway; Anna Marsh of Wallace, S. Dak.; and Edith Anderson of Lohrville, Iowa. There are eight living children, two having preceded their mother in death. She also leaves 24 grandchildren and ten great grandchildren. She also leaves many friends and relatives whose names do not appear in this life sketch. Soon after her marriage to W. [illiam] F. [rancis] in 1868, she moved with her family to the state of Illinois, where she spent twelve years of her life. Following these years spent in in the state of Illinois she moved with her family to the state of Iowa, spending 20 years in Taylor county and 4 years in Shenandoah. Very early in life Mrs. Blane united with the Christian church and was a faithful follower of the Master at the time of her death. We have been told by her loved ones that she appreciated her home and family, and in reality, lived for her home and her children. We recognize in her that splendid value in human character, a home maker and a good mother.
Funeral services were held at the Wetmore Funeral Home in this city Sunday, Dec. 9, at 1:30 p. m. conducted by Rev. Clark M. Crowell. Interment was made in the Fairview cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 1, 1893, p. 4
To Bedford – Rev. E. W. McDade was called to Bedford to preach the funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth Brown which took place last Sunday. Mrs. B. was the mother of Mr. Fitzgerald of New Market and also of the Mr. F. who is the C. B. & Q. agent at Villisca. She was an especial favorite of the Bedford people from the fact that her goodness of heart drew all to her. Her death was sudden, taking place while sitting at the supper table of a neighbor where a company of friends were assembled.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 8, 1893, [p. 1]
SHENANDOAH – Mrs. G. W. Ladd returned Saturday evening from a month's visit in Gravity, Taylor county. While there she was present at the death and burial of her aunt, Mrs. C. [alvin] Cary, a former resident of this place.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 4, 1895
Mrs. Jud Chamberlain Dead
Mrs. Jud Chamberlain died Tuesday morning, July 1, at her home five miles southeast of Bedford.
The funeral services will be held at 4 o'clock this (Wednesday) evening, Rev. J. C. Lewis conducting the services.
Friends of the family invited.
[Note: The last name is spelled Chamberlin on the family headstone. Her husband's obituary gives her death date as July 2, 1895.  If she died on Tuesday, as stated in the death notice, then the correct date would be July 2nd.]

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 11, 1895
Funeral services for Mrs. Judd Chamberlain were held at the First Baptist church at 4 o'clock p. m. on Wednesday, July 3, and were conducted by the pastor, Rev. J. C. Lewis. There was a large attendance of friends of the family. The remains were interred in Fairview.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 22, 1895
Died on the Train
A very sad death occurred on passenger train No. 2 near Villisca Sunday evening. Chas. M. Clifford of Wren, Van Wert county, Ohio, was returning from Colorado, where he had been for four weeks in hopes of improving his health. He was a victim of consumption and finding no relief had started home where he might die surrounded by relatives. But while the train was speeding along bearing him toward home, wife and child, his spirit took its flight. The remains were taken to Creston, embalmed and forwarded to his wife.

[CRITTENDEN, R. L., MRS., - 1901]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 21, 1901
Laid to Rest – The funeral of Mrs. R. L. Crittenden occurred at 2 p. m. today, at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. H. [arley] U. [mberfield] Greenlee, in the east part of this city. Mrs. Crittenden was a sister to Mrs. Greenlee and was aged about 60 years. She came from Colorado to Bedford about a month ago.
Her death occurred at 2:30 p. m. yesterday at the Greenlee residence. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. D. W. Griffith, pastor of the Bedford Baptist Church. The interment was in the Bedford cemetery.

[CRITTENDEN, R. L., MRS., - 1901]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 28, 1901
Obituary – The funeral services of Mrs. R. L. Crittenden took place from the home of her sister, Mrs. H. [arley] U. [mberfield] Greenlee, on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Mrs. Crittenden was a widow. Her only child, a daughter, was buried in Bedford in 1885. Mrs. Crittenden was a great sufferer for about a year. She came here from Grand Junction, Colorado, a month ago to stay with her sister, Mrs. H. U. Greenlee.
Everything that kind hands could do was done to alleviate her sufferings.
A goodly number was present at the service conducted by Rev. D. W. Griffith, pastor of the Baptist Church, who chose for the text on this occasion, Psa. 116: 12: "So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."
The singing was excellent and the floral offerings very beautiful.
Interment took place at Bedford cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 17, 1921
Mrs. J. R. Crum Dead
Alex John received a message yesterday morning announcing the death of Mrs. J. [ames] R. [obert] Crum at Ashland, Ills., where Mr. and Mrs. Crum were spending the winter. No particulars was stated in the message.
The funeral will be held Friday at 2 o'clock and the body will be laid to rest in the old family lot at Ashland, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Crum left Bedford several weeks ago to spend the winter with relatives at their old home in Illinois, expecting to return to Bedford this spring. The family have been residents of Taylor county and Bedford for many years and stand high in the community. She had many warm friends who will be grieved to hear of her sudden death.
Another good mother called to her reward. She had passed the 80-year mark at the time of her death. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the grief-stricken husband and children in their great loss.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 24, 1921
Death of Mrs. Robert Crum
Hannah Eleanor Stout was born July 19, 1840 in Morgan county, Ill. and departed this life Feb. 16, 1921, age 80 years, 7 months and 26 days. October of 1859 she was united in marriage to James Robert Crum. To this union eight children were born; two boys and six girls. One son, George A., and three daughters, Martha Ellen, Mary E. and Mrs. Z. L. Rexroat having preceded their mother in death.
Mr. and Mrs. Crum lived in the vicinity of Ashland until 1896, when they moved to Bedford, Iowa where they have since resided. While visiting here with her daughter, Mrs. E. A. Wallbaum, she was taken ill and passed to her eternal reward.
The deceased was baptized into the fellowship of the Baptist church of Ashland, thirty-three years ago, transferring her membership to the Baptist church of Bedford, Iowa. She died triumphant in the faith of her Saviour. Her last message to the comfort of her family was "Jesus Lover of My Soul, Let Me to Thy Bosom Fly."
Mr. and Mrs. Crum celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary in Bedford, Iowa, Oct. 25th, 1920, with the reunion of the Senior Bible class of the Baptist church of which they were members, the youngest being present was 52, the oldest 90 years of age. One remarkable thing is, that all the children and grandchildren who have reached the years of accountability are in the church.
She is survived by her devoted husband, one son, David W. of Iowa City; three daughters, Mrs. Ida Crum of Rock Island; Mrs. Ada Wallbaum of Pleasant Plains, Illinois, Mrs. Lila Terwilliger of Cleveland, Ohio; three brothers, [?] of Athelstan, Iowa; W. C. Stout, George W. Stout of Ashland; 5 grandchildren and six great grandchildren; besides a host of friends.
Funeral services was held at the Baptist church in this city this Friday afternoon at 2:30, conducted by the pastor, Rev. F. V. Wright and interment was made in the Ashland cemetery. –Ashland, Illinois, Sentinel

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, May 4, 1892, p. 7
SIAM – News came to Mr. John Adams of the death of his sister, Mrs. Dakin. She, with husband and family, were among the early settlers of our little village. They moved from here to Summer Co., Kans., where Mr. D. died after which she and her two girls went to Colorado to live with her son, Eugene. She had hosts of friends in this vicinity who are sorry to hear of her death.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 16, 1902, p. 3
A Bud of Earth Now Blossoms in Heaven (From Saturday's Daily)
"Suffer little children to come unto Me and forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.
Died, this morning at 8:10 o'clock, Marjorie Dean Daugherty, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Daughtery, aged five- and one-half months.
The funeral services will be held at the parent's residence in the southwest part of town, tomorrow, Sunday, January 12, at 2 o'clock p. m. Rev. Griffith will conduct the services.
General sympathy goes out to the bereaved parents.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 26, 1901
Dust to Dust (From Tuesday's Daily)
The funeral of Mrs. Mary Davis occurred at 3 p. m. yesterday at the home Mr. and Mrs. Israel Boyd in this city.
Mrs. Davis was the wife of Wm. Davis. She was a sister of Harry and Dick Johnson Gravity and to Mrs. Israel Boyd and Mrs. Green Lucas of this city.
He death occurred Thursday, Dec. 19th, at Galesburg, Ill. She was aged 45 years. As her relatives live here the remains were brought here for burial. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. R. H. Phillips, pastor of the A. M. E. church at Clarinda.
The floral offerings were profuse and very beautiful and the presence of a large number of friends at the funeral services attested their respect for the memory of deceased. The interment was in Fairview Cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 26, 1901
Body Shipped to Bedford
The body of Mary Davis who died at her home in Galesburg, Illinois, was shipped to Bedford. The funeral services were conducted at the home of Israel Boyd on Monday by Rev. Ream, deceased being a sister of Mrs. Boyd. The interment was made in the Bedford cemetery.

[DOW, JAMES AUGUST "GUSSIE", 1881 – 1893]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 5, 1893, [p. 1]
NORTH GROVE – Last Saturday morning Mr. Dow's little boy, eleven years old, fell through the bridge near the Porter farm and was drowned. The body was not found until Sunday morning. The parents have the sympathy of neighbors and friends in this sad affliction.

[DOW, JAMES AUGUST "GUSSIE", 1881 – 1893]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 5, 1893, p. 5
Drowned – Last Saturday morning three little boys, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Ichabod Dow, living just across the line in Taylor county, opposite Valley township, went down to the river to top maple trees. When starting home, one of them, named Gussie, about 11 years old, was walking across a bridge, pounding the railing with a hatchet, and not noticing where he was stepping, when he fell through a hole. His brothers heard the splash and ran to the place and threw sticks to him, but through fright and cold he could not help himself. On account of the swollen condition of the stream the water was quite deep and swift, and the body was not recovered until Sunday forenoon. The little boy was a great favorite with the family and neighbors and the sad affair has caused many hearts to mourn.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 26, 1901
To Attend Funeral (From Friday's Daily)
Mrs. A. L. Sebille was called to Prairie City, Iowa, today on account of the death of her brother, Ashford Dowden, who died Monday in Phoenix, Arizona, where he had gone in the hope of improving his health.
Mr. Dowden was the patentee and manufacturer of the Dowden Potato Harvester and is well known in manufacturing circles.
The interment will probably occur Sunday, December 22, at Prairie City, the old home of the family. 

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 29, 1900, p. 3
Dr. Austin L. Flint Found Dead
On Thursday, March 22, 1900, Coroner Milo B. Dunning was called to the house of A. D. Valentine, in Holt township, two and one-half miles east of Guss post office, to view the dead body of Austin L. Flint, M. D. On the evening of Wednesday, March 21st, Dr. Flint called at the home of A. D. Valentine to make a professional visit. He finished his work at 11:30 p. m. and it being so late he was prevailed upon to remain the balance of the night at the home of Mr. Valentine, and was assigned to a room upstairs and retired at about 12:30. Mr. Valentine retired to his room at about 2 o'clock in the morning and got up at 5 o'clock. The Doctor had requested to be called for breakfast at 6 o'clock. Mr. Valentine went to his room and knocked three times, but receiving no response, entered the room and taking Dr. Flint by the shoulder attempted to awaken him by shaking him and failing laid his hand on his cheek and found that the Doctor was dead. He immediately closed the door of the room, locked it and sent at once for Coroner Dunning. Mr. Valentine states that on the evening before retiring the Doctor had talked freely with him concerning his cases, seemed to be in the best of spirits, and that so far as he was able to judge was not under the influence of any drug, did not seem depressed in any way and just before retiring smoked a cigar.
Mrs. Valentine says that about one hour after the Doctor retired, she heard noise coming from his room, first groans very loud and after ceasing for a few moments, then commencing again lower and finally ceasing. Mrs. Valentine attempted to call her husband but failing to awaken him and the groans ceasing she thought the Doctor had been making the noises in his sleep and did not think any more of it.
The deceased was 73 years of age and had been a physician since early manhood. He was a contract surgeon during the war and for 15 years an assistant surgeon in the regular army, ranking as first lieutenant, making his service in the army twenty years. Although it was not generally known in the neighborhood in which he practiced, he was a member of a family which has furnished many distinguished physicians to the world and a direct relative to Dr. Austin Flint, Sr., the eminent author and specialist of New York. He was a member of the Modern Woodmen. Dr. Austin had been located at Holt for only one year, engaged in the practice of medicine. He was an able professional man and a respected citizen.
Coroner Dunning files his report stating that the deceased came to his death from Angina Pectora at 3 o'clock a. m. March 22d, 1900, and that his death was due entirely to natural causes.
No arrangements had been made for the funeral at this writing.
[Note: The first name is given as Amos on his headstone.]

Villisca Review (Villisca, Iowa), Thursday, March 29, 1900, p. 7
Obituary – The death of Dr. A. [mos] L. Flint occurred near Guss, Iowa, March 22, 1900. His remains were brought to Villisca, to the home of his daughter, Mrs. M. G. McNaughton and the funeral took place from the house Friday, at 3 p. m., conducted by Rev. Hunter. Dr. Flint located at Guss about a year ago. He was in fair health though not robust but when in Villisca a short time before his death complained of pain in the region of the heart. On Wednesday evening he was called to visit a patient east of Guss. He remained so late that he was urged to stay overnight and after chatting awhile with his host, retired about 1 a. m. in apparent good health. When called for breakfast he failed to respond and it was soon discovered that death had come in the night, sudden and painless. Dr. Flint was born in 1828 in Rome, N. Y. He was a graduate of Michigan State University Medical school and served as surgeon in the northern army during the Civil war and later went into the regular army as assistant surgeon and remained for 16 years in that service. He was a member of a family of physicians and was a relative of Dr. Amos Flint, of New York, also of Dr. Austin Flint the well-known physician and writer of medical text books. He spent several months in Europe and studied for a time in the Vienna hospitals. He made many acquaintances in this place during his visits here and impressed all with his friendly, courteous manner and his wide information on general topics.

Villisca Review (Villisca, Iowa), Thursday, March 29, 1900, p. 3
--Fred McNaughton arrived from Lincoln, Neb., Friday, to attend the funeral of his grandfather, Dr. Flint.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, July 13, 1894
Alice Hepperly committed suicide at Clearfield yesterday, by hanging. She was 23 and unmarried.

[HILL, INFANT, - 1895]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 18, 1895
A little infant daughter of Mrs. Hill, whose home is in Gravity, died on Tuesday, July 16, 1895, the funeral services being held on Wednesday.

Santa Cruz Evening News (Santa Cruz, California), Tuesday, September 27, 1910, [p. 1]
Mrs. C. L. Hoover Dies at Soquel
Gissie, the wife of C. [harles] L. [Sumner] Hoover, died at her father's home, Soquel, Monday, the 26th, at 11 A. M.
Mrs. Hoover and her husband have had charge of the Capitola office of the Hihn Co. during the summer. Rev. Charles Fish will officiate at the funeral.

Santa Cruz Evening News (Santa Cruz, California), Tuesday, September 27, 1910, p. 5
Hoover – In Soquel, September 26, 1910, Gissie Hoover, wife of C. [harles] L. [Sumner] Hoover.

Burlington Hawk Eye Gazette (Burlington, Iowa), Saturday, March 18, 1944, p. 18
John Hough Dies After Illness
Winfield, Ia. – John W. Hough, 86, died Friday night at St. Luke's hospital at Davenport, after short illness at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Frank Knutson. He had been in failing health for many years.
Son of Anna Brown Hough and Jeremiah Hough, he married Eliza Amanda De Harppart in Missouri in 1877. They made their home in western Nebraska and Iowa until 1894 when they moved to a farm near Winfield. In 1911 they came to a home in Winfield.
Surviving are 3 daughters, Mrs. Bertha Metzger, Winfield; Mrs. Jennie Knutson, Davenport; 4 grandchildren; 6 great grandchildren; and a half-sister, Mrs. Mary Kingsley of Grandview, Wash. His wife and an infant son are dead.
Funeral services will be held Monday at 1:30 p. m. at the Winfield Methodist church, of which he was a member.
Burial will be in Winfield Scott township cemetery.

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 13, 1944, [p. 1]
John W. Hough, Former Resident Dies
Mrs. Anna Hough of Conway received word that her brother-in-law, John W. Hough, died March 17 at Davenport, Iowa, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Alla Knutson, where he was visiting. He lived in Taylor County when a young man. His home was in Winfield, Iowa, where the funeral services were held. He was an uncle of Lewis Coy of Gravity.

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 2, 1934, p. 2
Former Resident of Conway Dies
Thomas Emerson Hough, 66, a former resident of Conway, died at his home in Cushing, Okla., Wednesday, July 25. Burial was made at Cushing.
He was born near Melrose, Monroe county, Iowa, Jan. 12, 1868. When a small child he moved with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jerre Hough to a farm west of Conway, where they resided for many years. He graduated from the Conway high school in the class of 1887.
October 15, 1898 he was married to Alice Harris. To them were born six children, five of whom, with the mother, survive. They are Mrs. F. M. Raffily, Mrs. L. E. Faling, Miss Norma Hough, Louis Hough and Donald Hough. One daughter died in infancy.
Other surviving relatives are his mother, Mrs, Susan Hough and a sister, Mrs. Mary Pitman, both of Grandview, Wash., two brothers, John Hough and George Hough of Iowa and six grandchildren.
Hough moved from Taylor county to Oklahoma in 1897, where he had been employed as a banker and farmer. Since February 1920 he had served as city clerk of Cushing. He was a member of the Baptist church.
The brother, George Hough of Conway, attended the funeral services.

[ISOM, FRANK, - 1901]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 19, 1901
Daniel Isom received a communication Saturday informing him of the death of his brother, Frank Isom in Kentucky. Death resulted from smallpox, of which there are many cases in that part of Kentucky. Mr. Isom's older brother also died in Kentucky several months ago.

[JACKSON, JAMES C., 1846 - 1902]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 13, 1902, [p. 1]
Death By Drowning
James C. Jackson Meets With a Horrible Death in Stock Pond Sunday
James C. Jackson, residing three miles south and east of Siam, met with a horrible death Sunday about 1 o'clock p. m. Mr. Jackson is a stock buyer and stock raiser and is considerably away from home. Saturday night he returned from St. Joseph and Sunday after dinner he went to the pond to see if the holes in the ice were sufficiently large for the cattle to drink from. He took an ax and went to the pond which is in sight of the house. After about two hours one of the boys went to look for his father; upon reaching the pond he discovered his father's mittens and ax lying on the ice. Fearing the worst, he hastened home and with one of his brothers returned to the pond. Upon looking into the hole which Mr. Jackson had been enlarging, they were horrified by the sight of their father at the bottom of the pond. Assistance was immediately procured, and the unfortunate was taken out, but life was wholly extinct.
An attempt was made to reach Coroner Dunning by telephone, but for some reason the attempt failed, so Sunday night Justice W. T. Allen empaneled a jury and proceeded with an inquest. The jury was: Alfred Bordner, Silas Sheley and H. S. Goodrich.
The finding was to the effect that deceased came to his death accidentally by drowning in water pond and that no violence was used.
Yesterday morning the county coroner, having been notified, went out and made a thorough investigation and found that the verdict was in strict conformity with the facts surrounding the case.
The evidence showed that the hole through he fell was 23x26 inches, the water about two feet deep and the ice about one foot thick. He was face down in the mud; it seems that the shallowness of the water would not permit him to turn around to enable him to get back through the hole in the ice.

Deceased was over fifty years of age and leaves a wife and seven children. The funeral it is thought will take place Thursday, as they will wait for the arrival of three sons from Wyoming who have been notified.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 31, 1899, [p. 1]
Obituary – Myron, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. C. [larence] M. Jenks, died at the home of his parents, in Blockton, at 9 a. m., Monday, August 28, 1899. The little one was about a year old and had been sick about two weeks. The funeral occurred at 2 p. m. today.
Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Jenks, of this city, went to Blockton this morning to attend the funeral. Mr. Jenks is a brother to the child's father.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 21, 1957, p. 3
Funeral For Former County Resident at Conway Thursday
Local relatives received word Monday of the death of Mrs. Andrew (Annie) Jones, 79, at the home of her son in Mt. Ayr.
Mrs. Jones, the former Annie Preston, was the daughter of the late George R [ichardson] and Armilda Preston. 
She spent her early life on a farm in southwest Page County.
Mr. Jones died Sept 18, 1954.
She is survived by four sons, Forrest of Mt Ayr, George and Alva of Lenox, Hoarce [Horace] of Clarinda; two daughters, Mrs A R (Hazel) Creveling of Clarinda and Mrs Verl (Vivian) Baker of Fort Collins, Colo; a sister, Mrs Lizzie Snodgrass; two nieces, Mrs Lesta Radke, Mrs Elsie Wiggins and a nephew, Finley Snodgrass, all of Clarinda.
Funeral services will be Thursday at 2 p m at the Methodist [church].

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 28, 1957, p. 9
New Market, March 26 -- Attend Funeral
Mr. and Mrs. Merrill Thompson attended the funeral of Mrs. Annie Jones, 79, at the Methodist Church in Mount Ayr Thursday, Mrs. Jones was the mother of Mrs. Verl Baker. Mr. and Mrs. Baker, former residents of this community, are now living at Fort Collins, Colo. 

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 13, 1895, p. 2
Mrs. Sarah E. Knot[t], aged 82 years, died on June 1st at the home of her son, John Knot[t] in Grove township. Her remains were taken to Peoria, Ill., for interment.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 14, 1899, p. 8
Obituary – Died at her home 3 miles north of Bedford, on Friday at 11 a. m., Mrs. Nancy J. [ane] Lindley, wife of H. [enry] M. Lindley, after an illness of over a year. The funeral services were held at the home Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock conducted by Rev. McMasters. Interment at Bedford cemetery.
Nancy Jane Gray was born in Pennsylvania in 1855. When only a small child she came with her parents to Iowa and settled in Henry county. There she resided until she had grown to womanhood and there she was wooed and won by the husband who survives her. They were married October 25, 1876 and immediately after came to Taylor county and settled near Sharpsburg. Ever after Taylor county was her home. Five children were born to this union, 2 boys and 3 girls. All except the youngest have reached maturity and all were by their mother's side when she passed away. Over a third of a century ago Mrs. Lindley united with the Baptist Church and was ever after a consistent, zealous member. She was a kind mother, a loving wife and a good neighbor and her death has caused sincere sorrow to all who knew her.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 1, 1895
A Fatal Accident Little Frank Linebaugh Meets With a Terrible Death by Fire
Died, at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Linebaugh, in Bedford, Iowa, at 8 o'clock p. m., July 26, 1895, Franklin Linebaugh, aged 4 years, 7 months and 12 days. Funeral services were held at the residence Saturday, July 27, at 4 o'clock p. m., Rev. J. C. Lewis officiating. Interment took place in the Fairview cemetery.
Little Frank came to his death in a most terrible manner. At about twilight on the evening of Thursday July 25th the little fellow went out into the yard for a romp. His mother is an invalid and his grandmother, Mrs. A. W. Majors, was at the Linebaugh home taking care of her daughter. Neither of the ladies paid more than a passing attention to the boy's absence until an agonized scream from the yard attracted their attention. Grandmother Majors rushed out into the yard and to her horror found little Frank completely enveloped in flames, his clothing having caught fire in some unknown way. Mrs. Majors attempted to remove the burning clothing, but the writhings of the child made the task a slow as well as a difficult one to perform. With a heroism that has rarely been paralleled and at the eminent risk of her own life, Mrs. Majors caught the little fellow in her arms and drawing him close to her person, folded her skirts about his burning form and in that way managed to extinguish the flames.
Drs Paschal and Archer dressed the wounds, the most severe being about the abdomen; but the little fellow was injured beyond recovery and died after several hours of the most intense agony. Mrs. Majors was severely burned about the hands, but her friends have reasons to congratulate her for the bravery she has displayed.

[MAHAN, LONNA, - 1895]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 25, 1895
Died, Saturday, July 21, 1895, a little son and only child of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Mahan, aged one year, five months and five days. The funeral services were held at High Prairie church and were conducted by Rev. Phillip Jackson. The remains were interred in the Lewis cemetery.

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 21, 1946, p. 7
Former Resident Dies
Mrs. D. E. McAlpin Succumbs in California
Word has been received by Mrs. J. B. Marsell of the death of her cousin, Mrs. D. [avid] E. [fford] McAlpin, which occurred at a hospital in Long Beach, Calif. March 14, following a week illness. Funeral services were held March 18 at Long Beach after which the body, accompanied by her sister, Miss Clara Hicks and granddaughter, Libby Ann McAlpin, will be brought to Boone, Iowa, for burial. Services will be held there, Monday March 25.
Mrs. McAlpin was the wife of the late Dr. Efford McAlpin and has many relatives and friends in New Market and vicinity.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, August 1, 1966, [p. 1]
Charles McAlpin rites Wednesday
Funeral services for Charles McAlpin, 61, will be held at Jamestown, N D, Monday and at Clarinda Wednesday, the arrangements being delayed when he died en route on vacation and during the air strike.
Clarinda services will be at 3 p m Wednesday at the Walker Funeral Home and burial is at the Clarinda Cemetery. The family is to arrive in Clarinda Tuesday evening, local families including the Virgil McAlpins and Howard Caskey. The Rev John Beebout of First Methodist Church in which the McAlpins worked while in Clarinda, will be in charge. Soloist and organist is Mrs C Bruce Grossman. Casket bearers are George Woolson, Lewis Wells, Nick Roberts, Elvin Campbell, William Cundiff, and Clinton Turner.
Masonic rites were part of the services at Jamestown, Mr McAlpin being master of the blue lodge there. He had been prominent in Masonic work here, including the Royal Arch Masons and Eastern Star.
The family have suggested memorials can be made to the heart association.

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 11, 1966, p. 6
Charles McAlpin Rites in Clarinda
Funeral services for Charles McAlpin, 61, of Jamestown, N. Dak., a former Gravity resident, were held Aug. 1st at Jamestown and Aug. 6 at the Walker Funeral Home in Clarinda with Rev. John Beebout of First Methodist Church officiating. Mr. McAlpin died en route on vacation. Interment was in Clarinda Cemetery. 
Clarinda relatives include the Virgil McAlpins and Howard Caskey.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 14, 1902, [p. 1]
Accidentally Killed
Charles R. [obert] McAlpin, living near Hawleyville, was accidentally killed last Saturday morning by falling from a load of hay. The young man, who was 29 years of age and unmarried, was assisting in unloading some hay. He had set the fork ready for hoisting and was just lowering the door over head when the boy who was tending the horse on the rope called and asked him if he were ready. He answered no, but the boy understood him to say go and started the horse. McAlpin was standing on the edge of the hay and the fork raising the hay threw him backward, striking the ground with the back portion of his head and shoulders. He lived about twenty-six hours after the accident occurred and although his body was completely paralyzed from the shoulders down, he was perfectly conscious until the time of his death. The young man was a nephew of Mr. L. B. McAlpin of this city and was worthy of the highest respect because of his industry and morality. The funeral services will be held today in the Dallas Center church, Rev. Menoher of New Market conducting the services. The sorrowing mother and other friends have the sympathy of the entire community in this sad bereavement.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 16, 1902, [p.1]
Killed Near New Market
Saturday of last week Chas. McAlpin lost his life at his home near New Market. He had taken a load of hay into the barn and in driving out through the door was knocked off the wagon to the floor and killed. He was unmarried.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 17, 1902, p. 5
--Dr. and Mrs. McAlpin, who came from Boone for the purpose of burying their little five-year-old daughter Cordius, who died of pneumonia, returned Monday to their home. The little body was laid to rest in the New Market cemetery. Many friends join in sympathy in this great bereavement.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 17, 1902, p. 5
--We learn as we go to press that a telegram was received from Efford McAlpin, of Boone, stating that one of his children was dead. The remains will arrive here this evening for burial. This being the second one of his children that has died since he has lived in Boone. The people of this community sympathize with the parents in their sad bereavement. —New Market Herald

Boone News-Republican (Boone, Iowa), Friday, November 5, 1943, [p. 1]
Former Boone Doctor Dead
Word has been received in this city by Russell W. Alexander, 515 Story street, of the death of Dr. D. E. McAlpin of Long Beach, Calif., former Boone osteopath, who died November 3 following a short illness.
He is survived by his wife, a sister-in-law, Miss Clara Hicks, who has been living with Dr. and Mrs. McAlpin in California, two grandchildren, Claude McAlpin and Miss Elizabeth McAlpin, and one great granddaughter.
The body will be brought to Boone, accompanied by the granddaughter, Miss Elizabeth McAlpin, Wednesday, November 10, and funeral arrangements will be announced later.

Boone News-Republican (Boone, Iowa), Saturday, November 27, 1943, p. 4
Dr. McAlpin's Funeral Rites Held in Boone
Former Boone Osteopath at One Time Was Teacher, Death Occurred in California
Funeral services for the late Dr. D. [avid] E. [fford] McAlpin, who died November 3, at Long Beach, Calif., were held in this city Thursday, November 11, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon at the Schroeder funeral home. Funeral rites were held at Long Beach after which the remains were brought to this city for interment.
The Rev. Gaylord Couchman, pastor of the First Presbyterian church officiated. Interment was at Linwood Park cemetery. Those serving as pallbearers were John H. Goeppinger, John L. Goeppinger, Dr. C. L. Updegraff, Joel Carlson, R. H. Barbee and R. T. Duckworth.
The flowers were in charge of Mrs. Updegraff, Mrs. Howard G. Rice, Fred M. Steele and Perry Starks.
Those attending the last rites from out of the city were Miss Elizabeth Ann McAlpin of San Francisco, Calif., granddaughter of the deceased, who accompanied the remains to this city; Claude McAlpin, of Schenectady, N. Y. ; Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Ryan of Chicago, Mrs. Paul Ones and Mrs. Marvin Happe of Ames.
Life Sketch
David Efford McAlpin, son of Susan Swift and Russell David McAlpin, was born May 1, 1860, in Taylor County, Iowa, and died November 3, 1943, at Long Beach, Calif.
The deceased was married in September 1887 at New Market, Iowa, to Miss Anna Hicks and four children were born to them. Three of the children died at an early age and the fourth, son, Claude Ellery, died in 1919. Those surviving include the widow, two grandchildren, Miss Elizabeth Ann McAlpin of San Francisco and Claude McAlpin of Schenectady, N. Y., and one great grandchild.
Was a Teacher
The late Dr. McAlpin attended business school in Davenport and taught school in Taylor county for 18 years. He was graduated from the Kirksville, Mo., School of Osteopathy and came to Boone in 1900. He practiced his profession in this city until 1921, when he moved to California, where he continued to practice until 1940. He was a member of the Masonic lodge and was widely known in professional and fraternal circles. 
While in Boone, the McAlpins resided at 122 Boone street and the family is remembered by many friends in this city. The late Dr. McAlpin was the uncle of Russell W. Alexander, 515 Story street.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, March 30, 1936, p. 5
George McAlpin Is Buried Here Today
George McAlpin, formerly of the Gravity farming vicinity, died at his home Saturday morning just before daylight. He had not been well this winter but had continued his work as farm foreman at the Berry Poultry farm. The funeral service was held this Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Pruitt Funeral Home, Rev. W. H. Meredith, Methodist pastor, being in charge. Mr. McAlpin and family came to Clarinda seventeen years ago. Mr. McAlpin at that time recovering from an operation. He has been constantly employed at the farm since.

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 2, 1936, p. 8
Former Resident Dies
G. [eorge] R. [umbaugh] McAlpin, who suffered a stroke of paralysis at his home in Clarinda recently, died Friday. Mr. McAlpin formerly made his home on his farm north of Gravity.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, April 2, 1936, p. 4
Dallas Twp., April 1 – A large number of relatives and friends attended the funeral of G. [eorge] R.[Umbaugh] McAlpin in Clarinda Monday afternoon. Mr. McAlpin was born and reared in the Prairie Gem neighborhood and a host of friends mourn his passing and extend sympathy to the bereaved family.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, February 10, 1898, p. 7
Mr. and Mrs. E. R. McAlpin of New Market were called to mourn the death of their little babe Friday, Feb. 4, 1898. It had been sick some time with fever. The funeral took place Sunday.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 4, 1898, p. 5
Guy Rounds received the sad news that his niece, Lucile McAlpin, died at her home in New Market this morning. Mrs. Rounds and her daughter had gone over to New Market Tuesday to celebrate the birthday of little Lucile, who was one year old that day. She was suffering with a bad cold then, but it was with shocking effect that he received the news of her death today. Lucile was the idol of her parents and it is certainly heartrending to have her taken from them so suddenly, but it is no doubt all for the best. The parents have the sympathy of their many friends in their bereavement.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 11, 1898, p. 5
New Market
The funeral services of the infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Gus McAlpin were conducted at the home of the grandfather, Russell McAlpin, by Dr. T. C. Smith of Clarinda, Sunday afternoon, Feb. 6. The services were held at the home of the grandfather on account of his illness, he desiring to be present.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, February 10, 1941, [p. 1]
New Market (Special) – Russell McAlpin, 41-year-old farmer living six miles northeast of here, was killed by a falling tree while cutting wood on his farm this Monday afternoon.
Working with a group of neighbors cutting wood, they felled a large tree which trapped McAlpin beneath it, crushing him.
He is survived by his wife, a married daughter, Mrs. Jim Timmerman of Nodaway, Elnora and Jimmy at home.


Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 5, 1901
Obituary – Cornelia E. Wakeman was born in Lockport, N. Y., July 26th, 1844, and died at the home of her brother, A. [lfred] B. Wakeman, Dec. 3d, at 6:40 a. m.
She was married to Elder Palmer, a Baptist minister, who died and subsequently she was married to Mr. McLain and since his death several years ago she has lived, as above stated, with her brother.
She united with the Baptist church in 1865 and has been a Godly, faithful, consistent member ever since, always deeply interested in the welfare of her church and pastor; as well as anxious for the extension of the cause of Christ to the ends of the earth.
She leaves three brothers and one sister: Stephen Wakeman of Grand Rapids, Mich.; R. A. Wakeman of Kansas City, who was present at the funeral, A. B. Wakeman and Mrs. Marsh of Wisconsin.
Mrs. McLain had resided in Taylor and Adams counties during the last fifteen years. She was in frail health during the past ten or more years.
The funeral services were held at 10 a. m. today at the Wakeman residence three and a half miles northwest of Bedford. Rev. D. W. Griffith, pastor of the Baptist church conducted the services. He spoke from the words: "We know that if our earthly hours of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens," Second Cor., 5:1.
The services were very simple and beautiful but informal. The music was of a very pleasing character, Mrs. McLain had before her death, chosen the text for the service and also part of the musical selections.
No words can more appropriately describe the close of her life than the poetic lines:
Asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep,
     From which none ever wake to weep;
A calm and undisturbed repose,
     Unbroken by the last of foes.

[MCKEE, SAMUEL, - 1895]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 4, 1895
CONWAY – Samuel McKee was found dead in bed one evening last week. The cause being heart failure.
Chas. McKee of Nebraska is visiting at home this week, being called here by the death of his father.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 22, 1891, p. 5
"Why Didn't She Cut Him Down"
New Market, Iowa, July 15 – John McLane, aged 31 years, residing one- and one-half miles north of New Market, committed suicide at 11 o'clock last night by hanging himself with a halter. His wife was with him at the barn and he requested her to go to the house saying that he would be there in a few moments. The house and barn are about 100 yards apart. When about 50 yards from the barn, Mrs. McLane heard a noise and called to her husband to come, but receiving no answer went back to the barn and found him hanging, kicking against a beam. He was left hanging till 5 o'clock this morning at which time Coroner McColm arrived from Gravity. The inquest was held at about 6 o'clock. Deceased leaves a wife and one child about two years old. The cause of this sad tragedy is attributed to family troubles. The burial took place this afternoon at Dallas Center. – Bedford Daily Times.


Cameron Sun (Cameron, Missouri), Thursday, January 3, 1929, [p. 1]
C. F. McMahill Passes
C. [harles] F. [remont] McMahill passed away at 3 :30 Tuesday afternoon at Osborn. Death came as the result of an attack of the flu.
Funeral services were held this afternoon at 1 o'clock at the Baptist church in Osborn and burial was made in the Osborn cemetery.
Mr. McMahill is quite well known here.

Plattsburg Leader (Plattsburg, Missouri), Friday, January 4, 1929, [p. 1]
Death of C. F. McMahill
Chas. F. [remont] McMahill who formerly lived in the Osborn community, died Tuesday of this week at his home near Kidder, where he had lived the past few years. Pneumonia was the cause of his death.

Cameron Sun (Cameron, Missouri), Thursday, January 17, 1929, p. 2
Charles F. McMahill – Charles Freemont, son of Thomas Jefferson and Maria McMahill, was born near Kirkwood, Ill., August 22, 1861. He departed this life at 3:40 p. m. January 1, 1929, at the age of 67 years, near Kidder, Mo.
With his parents he moved to Bedford, Iowa in 1881. On February 21, 1886, he was united in marriage with Cynthia McMurtrey, who preceded him in death November 11, 1921. To this union was born five children, two of whom preceded him, Susie, who died at home in June 1906 and Alma Duncan, in November 1916. There remains to mourn his departure three sons, Thomas A., Charles F., Jr., and William F. and 11 grandchildren, all of near Kidder, Mo. Also, two brothers and two sisters besides other relatives and many friends. The family moved to Osborn in 1904.
With his wife and three children he made a profession of his faith in Christ and united with the Baptist church at Bedford, Iowa, in 1900.
Funeral services were held at the Baptist church in Osborn, January 3, at 1 p. m. by Rev. L. A. Wickens, former pastor, and the burial was made in the Osborn Evergreen cemetery.

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 21, 1937, [p. 1]
Mrs. M. C. McMahill Former Resident Dies
Mrs. M. [adison] C. McMahill, 83, a resident of Bedford and community for many years, died at the home of her granddaughter in Pine River, Minn., Monday, Oct. 4, after having suffered a stroke of paralysis the previous Thursday. The body was returned to her home at Elkton, S. Dak. for burial by the side of her husband, who died several years ago
She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Edith Davis and her husband, A. B. Davis of Elkton, S. Dak., and by a son, Fred McMahill and his wife of Coleman, S. Dak. Also, by ten grandchildren and twenty great grandchildren. Mrs. McMahill, in company with Mr. and Mrs. Davis, were visiting in Minnesota when she was stricken ill. She moved from Bedford in 1910.

Bedford Times-Republican, Thursday, November 13, 1902, p. 3
A Fatal Accident
H. McMahill Is Horribly Mangled Under the Cars and Lives Less than Two Hours
The news of the shocking accident and subsequent death of H. McMahill at Clearfield reached here last night. The full particulars cannot be given but as near as we can learn Mr. McMahill was loading iron on a construction train in Clearfield and in some manner he fell under the moving car and both legs and an arm were severed from the body and he died in less than two hours after the horrible accident.
Deceased was a brother to Chas. McMahill of this place and is well known to many here.
We are informed that the funeral will occur at Clearfield Sunday, though definite arrangements have not yet been made.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 13, 1902
Under the Deadly Wheels
Herschel McMahill Meets Death Beneath the Wheels of a Construction Train
Last Thursday evening the awful news reached Bedford that Herschel McMahill, foreman of a construction gang on the K & W, had fallen under the moving train at Conway crossing and had both legs and an arm cut off. His brother, C. [harles] F. McMahill, at once hastened to Clearfield. The unfortunate man lived only about three hours. He leaves a wife and four small children in destitute circumstances.

Bedford Times-Republican, Thursday, November 5, 1925, p. 7
Former Bedford Man Dies at Elkton, S. D.
Madison C. McMahill Died There on October 23rd
Madison C. McMahill was born July 26, 1850 and was married to Francis [Frances] M. [Marian] Sloan on Feb. 8, 1870, near Kirkwood, Ill. He moved to Iowa in 1878 and died Oct. 23, at Elkton, S. D. after an illness of several months.
Mr. McMahill resided in and near Bedford until about fifteen years ago and was well known and respected here. A great many of the older citizens here will be very sorry to hear of his death.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 16, 1918, p. 8
Mrs. George McMahill – Malinda Francis Ray was born in Burlington, Iowa, September 14, 1854.
Her parents died while she was young, and she lived with an uncle till grown to womanhood. When fifteen years of age she united with the Union Baptist church near Berwick, Illinois and continued to live a consistent Christian life till the time of her death—May 4, 1918.
She was married to G. W. McMahill Feb. 15, 1874 at Kirkwood, Illinois, from which place they removed to Bedford, Iowa in 1881 and from there to Akron, Colorado in 1905, locating on a homestead 10 miles southwest of Akron. To this union were born three children, two of whom died in infancy. One son, Edwin, of Otis, Colorado; a sister, Mrs. Carrie Clark of Quincy, Illinois; her husband and a host of friends and neighbors remain to mourn their loss.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 25, 1896, p. 4
Obituary – Died, at her home in Bedford, Ia., June 20, 1896, Mrs. Maria McMahill, aged 68 years, 2 months and 11 days. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Vosburgh [Vosburg] and was born in Hercamer [Herkimer] county, New York, April 8, 1828. She moved to Warren county, Illinois, in the year 1841, where she was converted in 1843 and became a member of the M. E. church, since which time she has lived a Christian life, trusting and clinging to her Saviour through all time, dying with his name on her lips. She was married to T. [homas] J.[efferson] McMahill May 24, 1847, near Monmouth, Illinois and eight children have blessed their union as follows: Jacob C., who died several years ago; Madison C.; George W. of Bedford, Iowa; Henry A. of Nevada, Missouri; Lorinda A. Vandeveer, of Kincaid, Kansas; Ella R. Taylor; Charles F. and Hersie C. of Bedford. Mr. and Mrs. McMahill moved to Bedford, Iowa, in February 1881, where they made their home. The husband and children were all permitted to be with and care for her through the two weeks of suffering, except Henry. She talked to them, begged them not to mourn for her and said she was going home to Jesus. She requested her granddaughter, Gertie, to sing "Happy Day" for her.
It is hard to part with mother, but when we remember her kiss, her hand shake and her "God bless you, meet me in Heaven," we cannot wish her back to this world of suffering, but we can try to follow the beautiful example she set before us and meet her in the land where there is no parting, where all is joy and peace.   Ella Taylor.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 25, 1896
Death of Mrs. T. J. McMahill
Mrs. Mirah [Maria] McMahill, wife of T.[homas] J. [efferson] McMahill, died at her home in the west part of the city at 3:30 Saturday morning, June 20, 1896, aged 68 years, 2 months and 11 days. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. C. Lewis from the Baptist church at 2 p. m. Sunday, June 21. Interment in the Titus cemetery, west of the city.
Mrs. McMahill was born in New York state. In her early years she moved with her parents to Warren county, Ill., where she was united in marriage to the husband who survives her. She leaves seven children, five boys and two girls to mourn the loss of a kind mother. Fifteen years ago Mr. and Mrs. McMahill moved to Taylor county. Four years ago, they became residents of Bedford. The deceased was a devout Christian woman and her death is mourned by a large circle of friends.
[Note: The first name is given as Maria on her headstone.  She is buried with her husband in Bedford Fairview, Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa, not in the Titus, now Graceland, Cemetery west of Bedford.]

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, December 19, 1905, [p. 1]
Death of T. J. McMahill – A telegram was received here Sunday telling of the death at Osborn, Mo., of T. J. McMahill, who had passed away at 9 o'clock that morning. The body was shipped to Bedford, arriving here on the noon train today.
The deceased was for a quarter of a century a resident of Taylor county and was known to nearly everybody in this vicinity. A year ago, his son Charley, with whom he had been living since the death of his wife, emigrated to Missouri and Mr. McMahill decided to accompany him and since that time has made his home there. Seventy-nine years, 1 month and 29 days ago today the deceased first saw the light of day in the state of Kentucky and it was there that his boyhood days were spent. When still in his early teens, with his parents he moved to Illinois and settled at Green Brush in Warren county, where he resided until he moved to Taylor county.
It was while living in Illinois that Mr. McMahill first met the lady who was to be his companion for nearly half a century. Her name was Miss Maria Vosburg. They were married at Green Brush and spent the early part of their married life on the farm near that place.
Twenty-five years ago, they decided to move to a newer country where land was cheaper and where their boys would have better opportunities for getting homes of their own. They therefore came to Iowa, and on arriving here settled on the farm west of Bedford where they lived until about ten years ago. They then moved to Bedford where a year later Mrs. McMahill died. Since that time the deceased has made his home with his children, living most of the time with his son Charley.
During their married life there were born to Mr. and Mrs. McMahill eight children, two girls and six boys. Two of the boys, the youngest and the eldest are dead; the others are: M. [adison] C. McMahill, whose home is at Bedford; George W. of Akron, Colorado; Henry of Omaha; Lorenda Vanderver of Allen county, Kansas, Mrs. Ella Taylor of Spokane, Wash., and Charley at whose home his father died.
The funeral service was held today at the Baptist church conducted by Rev. Griffith of Stanberry, Mo., assisted by Rev. Jones of Bedford.
Interment was made at Fairview cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 21, 1905, [p. 1]
An Old Resident Dead
T. [homas] J. [efferson] McMahill was born in Kentucky in 1826 and died at the home of his son, Charles McMahill in Osborn, Mo., on Sunday, December 17, 1905, aged 79 years, 1 month and 27 days.
Mr. McMahill was formerly an old resident of Taylor county, having lived here about twenty-five years. About a year ago he moved with his son Charles to Osborn, Mo., where he resided until his death.
The body was brought to Bedford Tuesday and funeral services were held at the Baptist church, conducted by Rev. Griffith of Stanberry and Rev. Jones of this place. Interment took place at Fairview cemetery.

[MELCHING, CHARLES,1825 -1891]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 4, 1891, p. 5
Mr. C. [harles] Melching died on Tuesday, Jan. 27, of typhoid fever. He lived 5 miles east of Siam; they brought his remains through the rain to the cemetery east of town to bury.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1902, p. 4
The Silent Messenger Comes and Snatches One of Our Neighbors From the Threshold of Manhood Into Eternity
Died, at 1:30 o'clock p. m. Monday, Feb. 3, 1902, in Bedford, Iowa, William Thomas Meredith, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. A. Meredith, aged 18 years, 7 months and 13 days.
The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church Wednesday, Feb. 5, at 10 o'clock a. m. Rev. E. N. Ware will conduct the services. Friends desiring to view the remains may do so at the house between the hours of 8 and 9:30 o'clock Wednesday morning, as the coffin will not be opened at the church.
Deceased was one of the high school boys, industrious, brilliant and capable. He was raised in this city and those who have watched his development have been gratified by the progress made and the strength of character developed.
He was a member of the Bedford Presbyterian church and stood high in the estimation of both old and young. The many associates who delighted in his association will sadly miss this young man whose future promised such bright and good things.
Words being wholly inadequate to console the mourning relatives, we will simply say that our heart weeps with them.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1902
Will Meredith Dead
Died, at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. [homas] A. [ddison] Meredith, in Bedford, Iowa, on Monday afternoon, February 3, 1902, at 1:30 o'clock, William T. [homas] Meredith, aged 18 years, 7 months and 13 days. Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church at ten o'clock Wednesday morning, conducted by Rev. E. N. Ware. Interment in Fairview cemetery.
Will had been in feeble health some time and when he was taken sick with typhoid fever his constitution was too weak to successfully combat the disease. The bereaved ones have the sympathy of all Bedford in their affliction.
Willie Meredith was a member of the Bedford Presbyterian church, a good Christian boy and had many friends who will mourn his departure. He was one of the high school scholars, bright, studious and intelligent. Many friends today mourn with those whose hearts are breaking.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1902
The Silent Messenger Comes and Snatches One of Our Neighbors From the Threshold of Manhood Into Eternity
Died, at 1:30 o'clock p. m. Monday, Feb. 3, 1902, in Bedford, Iowa, William Thomas Meredith, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. [homas] A. [ddison] Meredith, aged 18 years, 7 months and 13 days.
The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church Wednesday, Feb. 5, at 10 o'clock a. m. Rev. E. N. Ware will conduct the services. Friends desiring to view the remains may do so at the house between the hours of 8 and 9:30 o'clock Wednesday morning, as the coffin will not be opened at the church.
Deceased was one of the high school boys, industrious, brilliant and capable. He was raised in this city and those who have watched his development have been gratified by the progress made and the strength of character developed.
He was a member of the Bedford Presbyterian church and stood high in the estimation of both old and young. The many associates who delighted in his association will sadly miss this young man whose future promised such bright and good things.
Words being wholly inadequate to console the mourning relatives, we will simply say that our heart weeps with them.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 16, 1880
Found Dead. – Mrs. Miller, wife of J. [ames] K. Miller, a very old lady residing in Dallas township, Taylor County, Iowa, was found dead in bed on Saturday morning last. The family with whom she resided got up at the usual time and when breakfast was ready called her but received no response. They then effected an entrance to her room and found her dead, although the body was still warm. Dr. Rumbaugh was sent for and upon visiting the place recommended that the body be kept forty-eight hours before interment took place. The cause of her death or other particulars than those given, we have been unable to learn.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), December 13, 1928, p. 6 
Elizabeth Devereaux Phelan, daughter of Martin and Ellen Devereaux, was born at Manteno, Ill., Aug. 21st, 1850. She was married to Patrick Phelan Oct. 31, 1870. They moved to Union county, at Creston, in 1875, and a few years later to Conway, where they lived for 40 years. Mr. Phelan died July 18, 1921. The living children are, Ed Phelan of Sharpsburg; Will Phelan of Council Bluffs; Mrs. Berryman Green of Denver, Colo.; Mrs. Howard Stewart of Phillips, Neb.; Mrs. E. A. Ford of Amarillo, Tex.; and Mrs. Irene Donaldson, Lenox. A daughter, Mrs. W. H. Cash, and a son, Jno. Phelan, having died some years ago.
Funeral services were held at St. Patrick's church at Lenox and interment was made in the Lenox cemetery. Six grandsons were the pallbearers.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 5, 1893, p. 4
HAWLEYVILLE – Miss Alta Rawlings, who broke her arm last fall and suffered from two amputations, died last Wednesday and was interred at the Dallas cemetery on Thursday. A procession of thirty-eight teams followed the hearse to the cemetery. The pall bearers were Perry Owens, Charley McAlpin, Charley Combe, George Holland and another young man whose name we have not learned. After long suffering she is at rest. The family have the deepest sympathy of all their friends.

[RAY, G. MARION, 1858 – 1895]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 18, 1895
Died, at the residence of S. L. Ray, five and one-half miles north of Bedford, Iowa, at one o'clock p. m., Tuesday, July 16, 1895, G. M. [arion] Ray, aged 36 years, 8 months and 23 days.
Funeral services were held at the residence at 4 o'clock p. m. Wednesday, July 17, conducted by Elder Wm. Cobb.
The deceased was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Gravity lodge, of which deceased was a member, had charge of the funeral. Members of the fraternity of New Market, Conway and Bedford lodges were present and assisted in the ceremonies. The funeral cortege was a large one and all marched in procession to the old Bedford cemetery, where the last solemn rites of the order for the dead were said and the remains laid to rest.
The deceased was born and raised on a farm two miles east of Bedford and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Ray, the latter, before their death, being the oldest and best known of the early settlers of Taylor county. The deceased was an industrious, hardworking young man and those who knew him best speak well of his many generous traits of character. D. M. Ray, of Strang, Neb., and Ira Ray of Woodbine, Ia., were present at the funeral.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, July 30, 1895
TAYLOR COUNTY – Died – Marion Ray died at the home of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Ray, two miles south of Gravity Tuesday, July 16, 1895, at the age of 34 years. Funeral services were held at the house, conducted by the Christian minister from Bedford. The remains were laid in the Bedford cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 20, 1902, p. 3
Mary M. Riggs died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. E. R. Fowler, in this city, Sunday, February 16, 1902, at 2 o'clock a. m., aged 91 years, 2 months and 15 days. She had made the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Fowler her home for the past six years and was well known here, as her gentleness had made friends of all who met her. She was a consistent member of the Christian Church, believing in its teachings and following the Master's footsteps in an humble though earnest manner.
Services were held at the house yesterday at 4 o'clock p. m. by Revs. L. Furgeson, T. J. Ream and E. N. Ware. The remains, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Fowler, were taken to Letts, Ia., the old home of deceased, where interment took place Tuesday, Feb. 18.
Obituary – Mary Magdalene Valentine was born in Germany, Dec. 1, 1810 and died February 16, 1902, being at the time of her death 91 years, 2 months and 15 days old.
She came to America when very young, coming to New Orleans and then to Cincinnati, Ohio, where in 1832 she was married to Daniel Riggs, from which union was born six children: William, Augustus, Jannette, Francis, Christina and Mary.
The husband and three children preceded the wife and mother to the eternal world, leaving Augustus Riggs, Anna Hudler and Mary F. [rances] Fowler, to mourn their loss.
Mother united when young with the Baptist Church at Cincinnati, and when the Disciples Church was organized by Alex Campbell, she became a member of it and remained such till called away.
She was a real Christian woman and was known as a loving mother, a gracious neighbor and generous giver to those in need. She came to Muscatine Co. from Cincinnati, where she lived until about six years ago when she came to Bedford, Taylor County, to live with her daughter.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 5, 1901
Died Suddenly (From Monday's Daily)
Ed P. Sellers died very suddenly yesterday, Sunday, December 1st, 1901, at his home just north of Conway. Mr. Sellers was aged 55 or 60 years and had been afflicted with kidney trouble for some time.
We understand he moved or was moved out on the porch to enjoy for a little while the fresh air and sunshine and while on the porch death came to him very suddenly. Funeral services will be held at 2 p. m. tomorrow.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa)
Thursday December 5, 1901 p. 8
E. P. Sellers Dead
Died, at his home near Conway, Iowa, at about 4 p. m., Sunday, December 1, Edward P.[atterson] Sellers. Mr. Sellers had been in failing health for more than a year but had continued to labor beyond his strength till less than one week prior to his death, which resulted from Bright's disease. Comrade Sellers was born in the state of Pennsylvania and was about 66 years old. He was a good neighbor, always ready to assist others in time of affliction, need or distress; a very companionable man, of more than average mental powers and information. He was a kind and indulgent husband and father. Deceased leaves a wife and nine children, who were overwhelmed with grief as they were brought so suddenly to realise their great loss. All, with the exception of one son, who could not reach here, together with a large concourse of neighbors and acquaintances, followed what was mortal of E. P. Sellers to his last resting place in the beautiful cemetery at Conway.
Obituaries often seem stereotyped or perfunctory, but from an acquaintance of twelve years with the deceased the writer of this feels that no words he can write would be too much praise for his good qualities. Comrade Sellers has a record as a soldier in the war of secession, which will be a subject of pride to his children and descendants. Having enlisted early in the War as a private he was promoted to first sergeant in a company of the 93d Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was in the battle of Iuka, also with his regiment on the left under Sherman at Missionary Ridge, where his colonel and many comrades were killed at the time the confederates fell on Mathias' Brigade in overwhelming numbers; also with his regiment on the Atlanta campaign, was also at Altoona [Altoona] pass when Hood sent Gen. French with a division to capture that place, which contained the bulk of Sherman's supplies, and defended by the 93d Illinois and some detachments; when Sherman signaled from Kennesaw eighteen miles away to Corse, "hold the fort, I am coming;" and that hundreds of heroes did hold the fort, although many of them were killed or wounded by the rain of shells or Minnie balls, which assailed them from every side. That message waved by the little signal flags over the heads of the rebel army furnished the basis of a hymn which has been sung all over the land. And as at present some take pride in some patriotic ancestor who was at Valley Forge, Stony Point or Yorktown, so in after generations it will be the boast of some descendant of the subject of this sketch, "my great grandfather was with Gen. Corse at Altoona." EX-SOLDIER

[SLATTERY, PATRICK W., 1820 - 1894]
Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, November 15, 1894
Mrs. Harry Locke received a telegram Tuesday from Denver bearing the sad news of the sudden death of her father, Mr. W. P. Slattery in that city, and that his remains would be brought east to Lenox, Iowa, their former home for interment. Mrs. Locke went yesterday to arrange for the funeral and Harry goes today.

[SLATTERY, PATRICK W., 1820 - 1894]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, November 16, 1894
Mrs. Harry Locke received a telegram Wednesday that her father, Mr. W. P. Slattery had died at Denver the day before at 4 p. m. and that the body would be brought to Lenox, his former home, for burial today at 10 o'clock. Mrs. Locke left for Lenox yesterday morning and Harry left on the evening train. Mrs. Locke has the sympathy of her many friends here.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 13, 1895
BLOCKTON – Uncle John Stevenson, two miles west of Maloy, died on 7th inst., aged eighty-three years. He was known by many Green county, Penn., folks now living in this county. During the thirty years he has resided with us he has never had an enemy. Though not a professed Christian, he had a fine conception of true Christianity and his life was based upon the principles taught in the golden rule. It may be truthfully said of Uncle John that he was one of nature's noblemen.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 29, 1900
Mrs. Crum's Mother Dead
David Crum returned this morning from Springfield, Illinois, where he was called some time ago together with his mother to the bedside of his grandmother, his mother's mother. They left a week ago yesterday and on arrival found her dead. She was 86 years old. Mrs. Crum still remains in Springfield with her father who is also in poor health.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 29, 1900
At a Ripe Old Age
The Free Press of last week made mention of the fact that Mrs. J. [ames] R. [obert] Crum was called to Ashland, Illinois by the serious illness of her mother. The sad intelligence reaches us that Mrs. Stout passed away before the daughter reached her bedside. We clip the following from the Virginia, Illinois Enquirer:
After an illness of only a few days Mrs. Emly Stout died at her late home near Ashland last Tuesday at 7:30 p. m. at the honorable and advanced age of 82 years. Deceased has been a resident of this county since its early days and together with her aged husband has resided on their present homestead over fifty years. Her bereaved husband is in his 91st year. They were the oldest married couple in Cass county, having celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary February 27 of this year. Deceased was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and her maiden name was Elvira Denney. In an early day she came to Morgan county with her parents, where she was united in marriage to her surviving husband. This union was blessed with the birth of eleven children, eight of whom are now living, as follows: Andrew of Nebraska City; Caroline, now Mrs. Way Epler of King Fisher, Oklahoma; Hannah, now Mrs. Robert Crum of Bedford; Theodore of Virginia, Illinois; George, of Ashland, Illinois; Charles of Missouri; William of Ashland and Lucinda now Mrs. Edwards of Ashland, Ill. funeral services were conducted from her late home and interment at the Baptist cemetery, north of Yatesville.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 5, 1900
Her Own Obituary
It is very seldom one writes one's own obituary. An exception to the general rules was the case of Mrs. Emily Stout, mother of Mrs. J. [ames] R. [obert] Crum, mention of whose death, which occurred near Ashland, was made in our last issue. She left the following short but interesting obituary:
"I was born in Butler county, Ohio, February 18, 1818 and came to Illinois in the fall of 1832 with my parents, Joseph C. and Phoebe Denny. Was married to Emley Stout February 27, 1836. I was baptized in the old school Baptist church in 1835 by Elder John Ray and all these long years I have had a desire to behold the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple, looking for the occupant of that temple, the only true and living God, infinitely good, holy, wise, just and almighty; the sovereign of the universe, whose power is as boundless as his love; the God and father of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the author of our being, the preserver of our lives and the savior of our souls. O, may I feel more thankful and more humble! Bless the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me; bless his holy name. How sweet to have a hope in Christ and leave it all with Him. He is all in all with me."

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 22, 1895
Both Legs Cut Off
Leonard Turner Killed While Switching in the "Q" Yard at Villisca, He Got Caught in a Cattle Guard
Leonard Turner, who was formerly a resident of this city and is a son of G. W. Turner living near the fairgrounds, met with an accident at Villisca last Saturday that cost him his life. Turner was a brakeman on a "Q" freight train, having been engaged in railroading for about two years with headquarters at Creston. At an early hour Saturday morning the train on which he was braking pulled into the Villisca yards and began switching. It was while engaged in this work that Turner stepped between two cars to uncouple the air brake. The coupling happed to be over a cattle guard and as Turner attempted to back out from between cars his foot caught between two guard rails and before he could extricate himself the engine passed over him, severing both legs from the body. The left limb was cut off just below the knee and the right one close up to the trunk of the body. The lower portion of the body was also more less bruised and injured.
The trainmen picked up the mangled form of their fellow workman and carried him to a physician's office, but it was apparent that the unfortunate man's injuries were beyond the power of human aid to heal. The accident occurred about 5:35 o'clock and Conductor Rutherford sent word to Creston relating the accident. About 8:30 the next morning a special train in charge of Conductor Felker, with Mrs. Turner, wife of the injured man, and Mrs. Chas. Connett on board, were sent to Villisca. The injured man was taken to Creston but died in about ten hours after the accident. Turner lived in Creston and has a wife and two small children. He was formerly employed on the bridge gang of the "Q" but about two years ago got a berth as brakeman. He was one of those large-hearted generous fellows, genial and agreeable, and had the friendship of all who were acquainted with him. The funeral services were held in the Christian church, Creston, at 3:30 p. m. Sunday. The following relatives of the deceased were present from this city, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Turner, Mr. and Mrs. L. T. McCoun, Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Hays, Wm. Turner, Mrs. Benj. Hankins and Wm. McCoun.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 14, 1901
Little Pearl – Little Pearl, aged fourteen months, the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. [uke] A.[llen] Wheatley died November 9, 1901, at Blackwell, Oklahoma. Mrs. Wheatley is the only child of Mr. and Mrs. H. [enry] D. Bundy of this city. Mrs. Bundy was with her daughter when the little one passed away.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 29, 1900, p. 3
Killed in Orville, Ohio.
Henry Wilbraham, the youngest brother of Mrs. J. P. Lucas and who was here at the time of the funeral of Miss Nettie Lucas, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Lucas, was instantly killed by the cars February 20th. He was quite well known to many in Bedford. His home was in Toledo, where he was working for the railroad company. His death occurred at Orville, Ohio, where he fell under a rapidly moving car, killing him instantly. He leaves a wife and four daughters. His burial took place at his old home in La Porte, Indiana, and his mother, brother and two sisters, together with other relatives, were present.
In a letter from the Rev. J. P. Lucas, he states that the shock was a very heavy one to Mrs. Lucas on account of her delicate health, and that he, Mr. Lucas, was not at home at the time the news came, but preaching at Cripple Creek, where he was conducting a meeting. This will be sad news to the friends of this unfortunate young man and also to the friends of Mr. and Mrs. Lucas, to whom they extend their tenderest sympathy. It seems that Mr. and Mrs. Lucas have been extremely unfortunate, this death occurring very nearly the anniversary of the death of their daughter.

Santa Cruz Sentinel (Santa Cruz, California), Tuesday, December 13, 1994, p. 14
Dorothee Wilhelm – Services will be Wednesday for Dorothee Lucylle Wilhelm, who died Sunday after a brief illness. She was 86.
A native of Soquel, Mrs. Wilhelm graduated from Santa Cruz High School and earned her teaching credential from San Jose State University.
She married, moved to La Grange and taught school in Modesto for 10 years.
Mrs. Wilhelm and her family moved back to Santa Cruz, where she taught first grade at Gault School for 18 years until retiring in 1966 because of poor health.
She tutored children, whom she called "cherubs," as recently as a few months ago. She also tutored adults and wanted her students to become teachers themselves.
Mrs. Wilhelm was a member of Delta Kappa Gamma, Zeta Chi chapter; the California Teachers Association; the National Parent-Teachers Association; the international Honor Society of Women Teachers; the National Retired Teachers Association; and the Santa Cruz High School Alumni Association. She was also a lifelong member of Grace United Methodist Church.
Mrs. Wilhelm promoted the love of Christ and believed there was good in everyone.
She is survived by her son, John Wilhelm of Santa Cruz; her brother, Donald Hoover of Hayward; two grandsons and three nieces.
She was preceded in death by her husband of 32 years, Fred Wilhelm and her son, Michael Wilhelm.
Services will be at 10 a. m. Wednesday at Grace United Methodist Church, 1024 Soquel Ave., Santa Cruz.
Friends may pay their respects from 6-8 p. m. today at Smith and Arnold's Chapel of the Four Seasons, 1050 Cayuga St., Santa Cruz.
Interment will be in Soquel Cemetery.

Santa Cruz Sentinel (Santa Cruz, California), Friday, May 30, 1969, p. 6
Wilhelm – In Santa Cruz, Calif., May 28, 1969, Fred A. Wilhelm. Survived by his wife Dorothy L. Wilhelm of Santa Cruz; two sons, Michael D. and John F. Wilhelm, both of Santa Cruz; one sister, Mrs. Alene Haglund of Minneapolis; and one brother, Lewis Wilhelm of Modesto. Native of Upland, Indiana, aged 61 years. Member of Grace United Methodist Church; Soquel Lodge No. 746, F & AM.
Services will be conducted at Irvin M. Smith and Sons, Chapel of the Four Seasons, 1050 Cayuga Street, Saturday, May 31 at 2:00 p. m. with Rev. Dale W. Baker of the Grace United Methodist Church officiating. Friends are respectfully invited to attend.
Interment in Soquel Cemetery, Soquel.

Santa Cruz Sentinel (Santa Cruz, California), Tuesday, July 22, 1980, p. 24
Michael David Wilhelm – Private services will be held for Michael David Wilhelm who died Sunday in his Santa Cruz residence. He was 35.
He was born in Modesto and he came to this area 30 years ago from La Grange. He had been employed by the Thomas J. Lipton Co. for the past nine years.
Survivors include his mother, Dorothee Wilhelm of Santa Cruz; a brother, John F. Wilhelm, also of Santa Cruz; an uncle, Donald Hoover of San Leandro and two nephews.
Private services will be held at the Soquel Cemetery, Thursday at 11 a. m. with the Rev. Martin Murdock of Grace United Methodist Church officiating.
Friends may call at Irvin M. Smith and Sons Little Pine Chapel, 1050 Cayuga St., Wednesday from 5 p. m. to 9 p. m.
Interment will be at the Soquel Cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 22, 1893, [p. 1]
NEW MARKET – Mrs. Wineinger died at her home in south New Market, March 14, after a short illness and was buried in the Memory cemetery Thursday, March 16. At this writing, her aged companion, Uncle Sammy Wineinger, is lying very low with lung fever and his life is deplored of.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 28, 1901
Obituary – Samuel Sylvester Wise was born near Tipton, Cedar county, Iowa, February 15, 1880. When at the age of eight years he removed with his parents to Bolivar, Mo. and to Bedford, Iowa, in 1894 where he attended the public school for one year, since which time he has lived at his home in Mason township. He departed this life November 13, 1901, aged 21 years, 8 months and 28 days. His illness, resulting from typhoid fever, was of four weeks duration, marked by much suffering. The last days were spent in delirium and unconsciousness and the angel of death came as a relief. He was the youngest member of the family and leaves a father, four brothers and two sisters to mourn his loss, all of whom were present except one brother. Sylvester was a young man of promise, just entering into manhood with bright prospects before him. He was liked by everyone for his honesty and uprightness of character and was a regular attendant at church services and active in Sunday School work. In his home he was beloved by all and will be sadly missed. One of his chief pleasures was the study of birds and bird life and many of his leisure hours were spent in observing their habits. Short funeral services were held at the residence by Rev. Minors of New Market, after which the hearse was followed by a large concourse of relatives and friends to Old Memory. After the burial service and the singing of his favorite song, "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder I'll be There," the body was lowered into the grave to await the resurrection morn. The pall bearers, selected from friends of his own age, were Will White, Frank Wineinger, Willis Ayer, Guy Leverton, Elmer Couch and Willie Cunningham. 

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 14, 1901
Death of Silvester Wise
The many friends of Silvester Wise will be pained to learn of his death in Mason township on Tuesday, November 12. Silvester Wise was twenty-one years old and a son of Owen Wise, at one time a resident of Bedford. He was also a brother of W. Wise, who resides in the north part of Bedford. The funeral services were held at the home at 11 o'clock this morning. The remains will be laid to rest in Old Memory cemetery. The Free Press unites with his many friends in extending to his relatives their heartfelt sympathy.