submitted by: Julia Johnson -

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 10, 1904
In Memoriam
In memory of Eliza Agee who died at her home near Wool Wine, Virginia, October 9, aged 90 years and ten months.
She realized that she was soon to be called home and bade them all good bye. She was preceded to the better world by her husband, Austin Agee and two sons William and Taswell, and one daughter, Mrs. Louanna Lee. She leaves four sons to mourn her loss, Marion Agee, Honey Grove, Texas; Ari Agee, Delphos, Iowa; A. [ndrew] J. [ackson] Agee, Blockton Iowa and J. [esse] J. Agee, Wool Wine, Va. She was always thoughtful and kind and will be missed by all who know her.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, July 18, 1905
Dies By His Own Hand
Clifton Arnold, A Young Farmer, Drinks Carbolic Acid—Found Dead Sunday Morning
Unrequited Love the Cause Was in Bedford to the Band Concert Saturday Night—Bids Sweetheart a Last Farewell
Clifton Arnold, a young farmer 23 years of age, who resided five miles west of Bedford, committed suicide Saturday night, his dead body being found in the field near the house at 2 o'clock Sunday morning. An empty bottle labeled carbolic acid and a letter addressed to his sweet heart, which was found in his pocket, told the sad story of a life of unrequited love and a lonely death in the still hours of night, by his own hand.
On Saturday evening young Arnold and his sister attended the band concert in Bedford. While here, he met the girl with whom he was in love and they were together for some time and it was during this conversation that she told him that his love was not returned, and she could be no more than a friend to him. He bid her good bye but afterwards went to her and again and again bid her farewell. Still thinking that she might relent or else realizing that it was for the last time he again bid her a fond farewell, before starting for home with his sister.
Arriving home, his sister went to the house while Clifton cared for the team. As the hours passed on and the young man did not come to the house, his brother became alarmed and calling the men who were at the house and also the near neighbors, a search was begun. About 2 o'clock Sunday morning the body was found in the field near the house. Life had long since departed; there was no indication of a struggle such as would be expected where death from the effects of such a drug. The body rested on the back, the limbs resting naturally, and one arm was thrown across his bosom.
While in Bedford Clifton had secured a bottle of carbolic acid, but he had not used it. The poison which ended his life was taken from a shelf in the brother's house. He had also taken with him a cup of water with which to help swallow the burning fluid.
While here the young man had also purchased a writing tablet, one leaf was torn out and on this he had written his last farewell. The letter was no doubt written in town for it was written with ink and was as follows:
Dear Ethyl: My troubles are such that I can't stand it any longer. I'm going to end my troubles.  I pray that you will be a better girl in the future than you have been in the past. You are the cause of it all.        From one who loves you, Clifton
There is no doubt but that Clifton had decided while in town to end his life and went about the accomplishment of his purpose [?]
His parents who reside at Grant City, Mo., were notified and arrived here Sunday night. The funeral was held at Morning Start church yesterday at 2 p. m. and attended by a large concourse of friends. The services were conducted by Rev. Thompson of Bedford and interment was made in the Titus cemetery. . . . .

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 20, 1905
He Committed Suicide
Clifton Arnold Takes Own Life Drank a Quantity of Carbolic Acid and Was Found Dead in a Cornfield—Result of Love Affair
A young man named Clifton Arnold committed suicide last Saturday night by drinking carbolic acid. Clifton was about 22 years old, strong and handsome and had become enamoured of one of the girls in his neighborhood who was of a fickle turn of mind.
It seems young Arnold who was working with his brother Emmett, on Wm. Meikle's farm had been keeping company with a certain young lady and that his attentions to her were more ardent than hers were to him, in consequence of which his jealousy was aroused. Gloomy and morose, his mind turned upon morbid thoughts and he determined to kill himself rather that further submit to her vacillations of love.
He came to town Saturday and after visiting around with his friends, purchased a quantity of carbolic acid for disinfectant purposes and drove home. He went about his work as usual and had completed his chores late in the evening but failed to return to the house.
His brother and family became alarmed at his non-appearance and the lateness of the hour and instituted search. About 2 a. m. his body was found out in the field where he had doubtless wandered in his last struggle against the morbid state of his mind. Here was enacted the tragedy of his life. Every step taken towards that field was a chapter in his death struggle. No doubt his mind became unbalanced by constant brooding over his blighted love and the unnatural temptation to end it all finally conquered. The length of time which ensued after he had purchased the carbolic acid showed that his mind was not fully made up to die.
In his pocket when the body was discovered was found the following letter:
Dear Ethel: My troubles are so much I can't stand them any longer, so I take this way of getting rid of them. You are the cause of it all, and I will forgive you and the Lord [?] will forgive you too. My prayer is that you will give your heart to Him and live a better life in the future than you did in the past.
         From one who loves you, Clifton
Coroner Bennett of Lenox was immediately notified but it being impossible for him to attend he designated Justice R. M. Williams.
  Jury and witnesses were summoned and brought in this verdict. [?] of Iowa, Taylor County, ss.
An inquisition holden at the home of Wm. Meikle in Mason township, Taylor county, Iowa, on 16thday of July 1905, by R. M. Williams, J. P. acting as coroner of said county upon body of Clifton Arnold, there [?] by the jurors whose names are hereto subscribed, the jurors upon their oath do say, having heard the evidence and examined the body, we do find the deceased came to his death by carbolic acid poisoning administered by his own hand. . . .
His life was a happy one aside from the unfortunate love affair and the deepest sympathy goes out to the broken-hearted family. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold, parents of the boy, lived at Grant City and are highly thought of. They were immediately sent for and arrived the next morning. The funeral was held from the Morning Star church at 2 p. m. Monday, conducted by Rev. W. B. Thompson. Interment in Titus cemetery.

Henry Clifton Arnold was born in West Virginia on Nov. 22, 1881. Came to Iowa with his parents in 1888. Was converted at the age of ten years and joined the M. E. church of which he was still a member, having recently placed his membership with High Prairie church. His was singularly sweet Christian life and he was devoted to the service of the Master. Died July 15, 1905, aged 23 years, 7 months, 23 days. He leaves to mourn his early death a father, mother, two brothers and two sisters.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 27, 1905
--Miss Neva Arnold died at her home near Grant City, Mo., Saturday night at about ten o'clock. She was a young lady about fifteen years old and was a sister to Clifton Arnold. We were unable to find out the particulars about the funeral.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Friday, July 28, 1905
A Double Sorrow
"Troubles never come singly." This saying came home with awful force to Mr. and Mrs. Arnold of near Grant City, Mo., father and mother of Clifton Arnold whose life came to such a sad and sudden end a week ago Saturday night. Like a bolt of lightning from a clear sky came to them the news of their son's death. They came in response to the sad message and laid their boy away. At that time, at their Missouri home their daughter was lying ill and just one week later, almost to the hour, her spirit too passed away, leaving the parents' hearts anguish stricken, their home doubly desolate. I. H. Herbert attended both funerals and he says the funeral of the girl was one of the largest ever held in that vicinity. It occurred at 4 p. m. Monday and over 100 carriages were in the sad procession that followed to the grave. All that friends could do was done but at such a time human sympathy seems of little avail and the hearts of the father and mother are filled to breaking with anguish and woe.

Call-Leader (Elwood, Indiana), Thursday, May 18, 1905
Funeral of Mrs. Baker
The funeral of Mrs. Sarah Baker, whose death at 1908 South F street was mentioned yesterday, took place at the Main street Christian church this afternoon at 2 o'clock. The members of the lodge of Daughters of Rebekah and Wyoming council, Degree of Pocahontas, of which the deceased was a member, attended in a body and the burial was with their beautiful ceremonies. Escorts were also in attendance from the Odd Fellows and Red Men. Rev. Sellers conducted the services.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Friday, June 2, 1905
Death of a Former Bedford Lady
This morning at the late home at 1908 South F street occurred the death of Mrs. Sarah J. Baker, age 63 years. She had been ill for some time but suffered patiently and uncomplainingly. She had won many friends during her residence in this city and her loss will be mourned sincerely by all who know her. The funeral will take place Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Christian church with the Rebekahs of which she was a member, in charge. The remains will be interred in the city cemetery. – Elwood (Ind.) Call Leader.
Mrs. Baker, whose death is mentioned above, formerly lived in Bedford and is well known to all those who resided here at that time.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 20, 1904
--Miss Mabel Warren was called to St. Joseph by the death of her father, M. H. Buckmaster, which occurred   Sunday morning. Mr. Buckmaster was at one time in the barber business in Bedford. His daughter Mabel was adopted when a child into the family of G.[eorge] B. Warren.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 20, 1904
Monday's Items
Miss Mabel Warren received a telegram this morning stating that her father, M. H. Buckmaster, died at 5 o'clock Sunday morning at St. Joseph and she left for that place on the afternoon train today. The deceased ran a barber shop here many years ago and was well known in this vicinity. Miss Mabel is his daughter but when quite small was adopted by G. [eorge] B. Warren.

Ottawa Daily Republic (Ottawa, Kansas), Friday, February 24, 1905
Death of Mrs. Burnside Funeral Will Be Held at Residence Saturday Noon
Mrs. Robert Burnside, 931 south Locust street, died about 7 o'clock last night, of a cancer. She was 64 years of age and leaves a husband and six children.
Mrs. Burnside came to Ottawa with her husband about 18 years ago, from Osage City. The remains will be taken to that city for burial. Funeral services will be held at the residence at 12 o'clock tomorrow, Rev. A. R. Maclean officiating.
Mr. and Mrs. L. G. Cobb, of Osage City, have arrived to attend the services. Mrs. Cobb is a daughter of the deceased.

Ottawa Daily Republic (Ottawa, Kansas), Monday, February 27, 1905
Obituary – Annie Headman Burnside was born August 31, 1842, at Philadelphia, Pa. At the age of seven years she entered the convent at Baltimore and remained there until twelve years of age, at which time she with the entire family united with the Chestnut Street M. E. church. At the age of 18 years she went west and on February 8, 1863, was married to Robert Burnside. After living twenty years at Bedford, Ia., she with her husband and children went to Osage City and having lived there a number of years, moved to Ottawa, where she spent the remaining days of her life.
She was always a devoted wife, loving and sacrificing mother; a loyal friend and kind neighbor in sickness and trouble.
Even up to the time of her death, lying on a bed of pain, she thought first of others. During her long illness, she never once uttered a word of complaint and always greeted one and all with kind words and smiling countenance. She was called home February 23, 1905 and was 62 years, 5 months and 23 days old. She leaves a husband, R. Burnside; three daughters, Mrs. Cobb of Osage City; the Misses Libbe and Hettie Burnside, of this city; three sons, George Burnside, of California; Hugh Burnside, of Illinois and Robert Burnside of this state; two brothers, Charley and Al Hedman of Pennsylvania; one sister, Mrs. Carty, also of Pennsylvania, to mourn her loss.
[Poem not transcribed.]

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 2, 1905
--John Burnside received the news last week that his aunt, Mrs. Robert Burnside, died at her home in Ottawa, Kansas.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday December 29, 1904
Death of Samuel C. Calhoun
Mr. and Mrs. J. [oseph] C. [arnahan] Calhoun, accompanied by their daughter, Mrs. Mary E. Bell, left on the evening train yesterday for Toledo [Aledo], Ill., in response to a message conveying the sad intelligence of the death of Mr. Calhoun's brother, Samuel C. [ochran] Calhoun. The sad tidings were not entirely unexpected for a letter was received several days ago stating that Mr. Calhoon was in a very critical condition and but little hopes could be entertained for his recovery. He had been in poor health for several months, though it was only a week ago that he was taken dangerously ill. His death, due to heart failure, occurred at 4 p. m. Saturday, his age being 71 years and 5 months.
Of eight brothers, two only remain, one of whom is J. [oseph] C. [arnahan] Calhoun of this place.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 29, 1904
Called on a Sad Mission
Last Sunday the sad message reached Bedford that Samuel C. [ochran] Calhoun had died at his home in Toledo [Aledo], Illinois, after an illness of about a week but he had been in poor health for a number of months. Heart failure was the cause of his demise, which occurred last Saturday afternoon, he being 71 years and five months old. His brother, J. C. Calhoun, wife and daughter, Mrs. Mary Bell, left Sunday to attend the funeral.

Des Moines Tribune (Des Moines, Iowa), Saturday, April 12, 1947, p. 8
Mrs. Campbell Dies Here at 77
Mrs. Mary Ann Campbell, 77, of 2825 Grand ave., died Saturday at Iowa Lutheran hospital. She had suffered from cancer for three years.
Mrs. Campbell, born in Bowen, Ill., had lived in Iowa most of her life. She attended schools in Lenox and lived in Blockton 21 years before coming to Des Moines 36 years ago. She was a member of Waveland Park chapter of Eastern Star and Grace Methodist church.
Surviving are her husband, Z. [eno] A. [ndrew] Campbell, one son, Floyd; and a granddaughter, Mrs. Luana Chinn, all of Des Moines. Services will be at 3 p. m. Monday at Harbach's funeral home, with burial in Glendale Masonic cemetery.

Des Moines Tribune (Des Moines, Iowa), Wednesday, January 26, 1955, p. 18
CAMPBELL – Zeno A. [ndrew], 89, of 2825 Grand ave., died Wednesday at home.

Des Moines Register (Des Moines, Iowa), Friday, January 27, 1955, p. 17
CAMPBELL – Services for Zeno A. [ndrew] Campbell of 2825 Grand Ave., will be held at Dunn's Funeral home, Friday, 3:00 p. m. Interment Masonic Cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 5, 1905
Death Visits a Blockton Home
Oscar Carr died at his home near Blockton on Monday, after an illness of several months. The deceased was born and grew to manhood in Jefferson township and has an extensive acquaintance all over that section of the country. He was a young and enterprising farmer, energetic to a fault. His life has ended just on the threshold of what promised to be a useful career. A wife and children are left, grief stricken, to mourn his loss.

Adams County Union-Republican (Corning, Iowa), Wednesday, March 18, 1903
A. [aron] P. [utnam] Child passed from this life to the life beyond, March 9, 1903 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Kate K. Kiplinger in Colorado Springs, Colo., at the age of 76 years. He was sick less than a week with the grip and pneumonia, combined with Bright's disease. The deceased was born January 25, 1827, in Exeter, Otsego county, N. Y. and where his boyhood days were spent. He was the 11th child of a family of 13 children. In early manhood he went to Connecticut and spent a few years with relatives, working on a farm the most of the time, then he returned to Exeter and taught school for several years. He was married September 2, 1855, to Emily L. Babcock of Westford, N. Y. and the following spring moved to Oneida, Ill., where three children were born to them, one son, Charles, who died in early manhood and two daughters, Mrs. Flora A. Rightmire and Mrs. Kate K. Kiplinger of Colorado Springs, Colo. He combined farming and school teaching and, in the spring of 1873, in company with his younger brother, F. [loyd] C. [ushman] Child and family, moved to Creston, Iowa, which place has been his home until three years ago [he] went to Colorado Springs to live with his daughter. He came to Creston soon after the town was started and has seen it grow to quite a large city. He united with the Congregational church in Exeter, N. Y. and was a prominent member of the Congregational church in Creston in its earlier days, raising most of the money and doing most of the carpenter work on the chapel and was a member and deacon of the 2d Congregational church in Colorado Springs, Colo. at the time of his death. The remains were brought to Creston for burial and was accompanied by his two daughters and grandson, Lawrence Kiplinger. The funeral was held in the Congregational church Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. E. E. Flint conducted the services over the pulpit which the deceased made for the old chapel and the interment was made beside his wife who preceded him in 1888 and his son, in Graceland cemetery. The casket was nearly covered with flowers contributed by friends in Creston and Colorado Springs, and there was a large attendance of old friends and acquaintances at the funeral. Besides his two daughters and grandson, he leaves two sisters, Mrs. D. M. Sumner of Cromwell, nearly 90 years old, and Mrs. F.[idelia] T. [odd] Ferris of St. Croix Falls, Wis., and two brothers, Erastus Child of Bedford and F. [loyd] C. [ushman] Child of Cromwell. The relatives present at the funeral from abroad, were a brother, Erastus Child and a nephew, Fielding B. Webb of Bedford, Iowa, and a brother, F. [loyd] C. [ushman] Child and wife from Cromwell. The relatives have the sympathy of the community.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 12, 1903
--Died, at Colorado Springs, March 9, 1903, A. [aron] P.[utnam] Child, brother of E. Child, of this city, aged 76 years. Funeral at Creston, Iowa, Thursday, March 12. Interment in family lot, Creston cemetery. He was the father of Mrs. Rightmire, well known in Bedford and vicinity.

Adams County Free Press (Corning, Iowa), Saturday, March 30, 1918
The death of F. C. Child, one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of Cromwell, occurred Saturday, March 23, following an illness of over a year in bed. A short time ago he suffered a stroke of paralysis, since when he rapidly declined, his death occurring from natural causes, incident to old age. The funeral was held Monday afternoon at 2:30 at the Congregational church, the services being conducted by Rev. Owen Thomas, pastor, assisted by the Methodist pastor, Rev. R. A. Grigsby, the sermon being delivered by Dr. W. L. Ferris, Congregational pastor and a nephew of deceased. Interment was made in Maple Hill cemetery beside his wife, who died November 21, 1908. Floyd Cushman Child was born at Exeter, N. Y., November 19, 1831 and was aged 86 years, 4 months and 4 days. He removed to Oneida, Ill., in 1862, returning to New York, where he was married to Miss Sarah Jane Felton at East Pharsalia, February 24, 1869, returning immediately to Oneida, where they resided four years. In 1873 they emigrated to this locality and have since lived in Adams and Union counties. In 1906 they moved to Cromwell which has since been the home. One child was born to them, Miss Elta, who survives her parents and for many years a faithful attendant of her parents. Also, an adopted son, Judson Child, who passed away a few years ago in this vicinity. Deceased gentleman was for many years identified with the Congregational church, where he was a trustee for several years and for some time was treasurer. He was the last member of his parents' family of thirteen children, nearly all of whom lived to an old age. The relatives from a distance who attended the funeral were three nieces, Mrs. Sarah Webb, Mrs. Flora Webb of Bedford, and Mrs. Kate Kiplinger of Des Moines, and the nephew, Dr. W. L. Ferris of Shenandoah.

Adams County Union-Republican (Corning, Iowa), Wednesday, November 25, 1908
Mrs. Floyd C. Child passed away at her home in Cromwell, Iowa on Saturday morning, November 21, 1908, at 7:15 o'clock. She had been in poor health for the past year, but it was known that she had that terrible disease, a cancer of the abdominal organs. Sarah Jane Felton was born in Marlboro, Massachusetts, September 3, 1842, and passed away at the age of 66 years, 2 months and 18 days. Her parents moved to East Pharsalia, New York when she was but a few months old and there she grew to womanhood. She was united in marriage with Floyd C. [ushman] Child, February 24, 1869, at East Pharsalia, New York. To this union was born one child, Miss Elta Child. Mr. and Mrs. Child came to Oneida, Illinois on their wedding trip and lived on a farm there for four years. They came to Union County, Iowa, in the spring of 1873 and settled on a farm near Cromwell. When the deceased was in young womanhood, she made a profession of faith in Christ and united with the Congregational church in East Pharsalia, New York. She united with the Congregational church in Cromwell soon after moving to Union County and remained a faithful member to the end of her earthly life. Deceased was a faithful wife, an affectionate mother, a loving sister and a true friend. She leaves her husband and her daughter Miss Elta, who lives at home. Also, an adopted son, Judson H. Child of Corning, Iowa and four sisters, whose homes are in New York, beside many other relatives and a host of friends to mourn her loss. The funeral was held in the Congregational church on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the services being conducted by the pastor of the deceased, Rev. James Kirkwood, who took his text from Luke 20: 36. The songs were "Nearer My God to Thee," "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," and "Shall We Gather at the River?" by the choir composed of Mrs. Fannie Widger, Misses Frances and Evelyn Harrison, Mary Kirkwood, Mabel Kiddoo, W. S. Mills, Elmer Kinkade and W. H. Howell, with Miss Mary Kinkade as organist. The pall bearers were D. H. Brooks, and J. H. Ours, of Creston, R. Colbert, W. H. Harrison, J. S. Stahlnecker and L. Hitchcock. Interment was made in the Maple Hill cemetery. Among the floral offerings was a beautiful piece of yellow and white chrysanthemums from the church. The friends who attended the funeral from abroad were Judson H. Child, the adopted son, of Corning, Iowa; Mrs. F. B. Webb; Mrs. John V. Webb and Mrs. Kate K. Kiplinger, nieces of Mr. Child, from Bedford, Iowa, and a number of friends from Creston.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 26, 1908
Mesdames F. B. and John Webb and Mrs. Kate Keplinger went to Cromwell Saturday in response to a message telling of the death of their aunt, Mrs. F.[loyd] C. [ushman] Child, which occurred on that day. The funeral was held Sunday.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Friday, June 2, 1905
A Martyr For His Country
A Bloody Tragedy of the Early Sixties—Men Die for Principles
No Mercy for Union Men Taylor County Residents Whose Father Died for the Union—Hung by Guerrillas
Dicy A. Chiles died at the home of her daughter in Maryville, Mo., May 12, and was buried at Conway, Sunday, May 14.
Mrs. Chiles husband was Dr. H. [enry] Chiles, who at the time of their marriage was a young physician and their home was in Eastern Tennessee. Eight children were born to them and their home was happy and blissful. They then moved to Texas. The war broke out and sectional feeling ran high. It was neighbor against neighbor, brother against brother, and men lost all semblance of humanity and became blood thirty brutes. Dr. Chiles was a Union man and for this crime (?) was torn from wife and children and hung. Four of these little children are now well-known residents of Taylor county and Mr. Taylor, a man who had a hair breadth escape from the same gang of human blood hounds now lives in Bedford. The incidents of this tragedy as given by the Maryville Republican will be of particular interest to all who know any of these people and some at least of them are known to nearly all our readers.
"Dicy A. Kennedy was the daughter of William and Elizabeth Kennedy and was born in Washington county, East Tennessee, Nov. 2, 1825. At the age of five years she moved with her parents to Hancock county, Indiana, where she grew to womanhood. Here, in 1845, she was married to Dr. H. [enry] Chiles, a young physician of Warrington in the same county. He was a native of Virginia who had come to the west to start in life.
"Dr. Chiles was of a roving disposition and within a few years moved to Iowa and then back to East Tennessee. Here he was joined by two brothers from Virginia, Ephraim and Almus Chiles, and the three brothers with their families moved to Texas in 1860, settling near Gainesville, in Cook county.
"The rebellion coming on soon, these Tennessee-Virginians being strong Union men soon found themselves looked upon with suspicion. As there were a number of Union men in Cook county, they began to devise means for self-protection. Among other things they organized a Union League, in which Dr. Chiles, being somewhat of a leader, was a master spirit. Traitors crept into this organization and in the fall of 1862, they betrayed the names of these Union men to the rebellious mob and they were hunted like criminals rather than as human beings. Dr. Chiles and his brother, Ephraim were among the first captured and they were hung on a tree in Gainesville on Oct. 4, 1862, for no other crime than being Union men. The reign of terror lasted about two weeks, during which 44 men died for their country, nearly all of them leaving destitute families. Almus Chiles was never heard of thereafter, being probably killed in the forest. Among those hung were Wm. Scott, Wm. Norris, an unmarried man, and a Mr. Fields; Charles Taylor, still living in Bedford, Iowa, escaped the researches of the blood-thirsty mob and got away to the north.
"Mrs. Dicy Chiles and her family of eight children, the youngest a babe of only a few weeks old, left the scene of massacre as quickly as possible and settled near Paris, in Lamar county, Texas, where they stayed until 1865 when they moved to Yates City, Knox county, Illinois, where they remained until 1882, when they moved to Taylor county, Iowa. There Mrs. Chiles made her home until a few years ago when she came to live with her daughter, Mrs. Longley, at whose home she died, as above stated."

[Chiles, Dicy Ann Kennedy]

Bedford Times-Republican

Tuesday      May 16, 1905     p. 4

A Long Life Ended

Mrs. Childs [Chiles], the aged mother of J. [ames] F. Childs [Chiles], of Gravity, died at her home in Maryville, Friday, age 79 years. The funeral was held at Conway Sunday. Mrs. Childs [Chiles] had a number of friends in this vicinity. She had been ailing for a long time and her death was not unexpected.

[Chiles, Dicy Ann Kennedy]

Bedford Free Press

Thursday      May 25, 1905     p. 8

Gone to Her Just Reward

Dicy A. [nn] Chiles was born November 2, 1825, in Washington County, East Tennessee, and departed this life at Maryville, Mo., May 12, 1905, aged 79 years, 6 months and 10 days.

At the age of 5 years she moved with her parents, William and Elizabeth [Purcell] Kennedy, to Hancock County, Ind. In 1845 she was married to Dr. [George] H.[enry] Chiles, of Warrington, Ind., where she lived until 1860, when she with her husband and family moved to Gainesville, Cook [e] County, Texas, where in 1862 her husband died. To this union was born eight children, four boys and four girls, five of whom survive her, and are Mrs. R. [obert] M. [assie] Powell [Elizabeth Jane], of Bedford, Iowa, Mr. Geo. W. Chiles and Mrs. J. E. Powell, of Conway; Mrs. J. [ames] F. Longley [Sarah], of Maryville, Mo.; Jas. F.[ranklin] Chiles, of Gravity, Ia.

At the close of the war she with her children moved to Yates City, Knox County, Ill., where they made their home until 1882, when she came to Taylor County, Iowa, residing much of her time with her son, J. [ames] F. [ranklin] Chiles, but more recently with her daughter, Mrs. F. L. Longley, where she died.

She was converted at the age of 13 and united with the Methodist Episcopal church. She loved her church and was always a faithful, loyal member, and no sacrifice was too great for her to make if thereby she might advance its interests. During the recent revival in the church at this place, she was much in prayer for different friends that they might be saved, and when letters would come telling of the conversion of this one and that one, she would fairly shout for joy.

She was a devoted wife and mother, a kind neighbor, a true friend and a faithful Christian worker. But her work is finished; her record is on high---her reward is sure.         C.
[The same obituary was printed in the Bedford Times-Republican, May 19, 1905, page l.]  

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 16, 1905
Called Away on a Sad Mission
Mrs. R. [obert] M. [iller] Williams and Mrs. A. [lbert] J. [osiah] Williams were called last Friday to Genoa, Ill., by the death of their father, J. [ohn] R. [eed] Corson, who was upwards of 80 years of age. The many friends of the bereaved ones extend sympathy in this their hour of affliction.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, March 7, 1905
With the Angels
After weeks of pain and suffering, Saturday night at 11:04 little Paul Coup, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Coup, passed into the great unknown.
Over a month ago, little Paul was taken ill with catarrhal pneumonia and later on a spinal disease made its presence felt. For a long time, his little body was racked with pain, suffering, untold agony that neither loving care nor skillful medical treatment could relieve. Burning up with fever, taking scarcely any nourishment, he wasted slowly away. Being only 8 months old, he could not tell of the pain that was always with him, but none saw him but knew that his suffering was intense. For many days it was known he could not survive, that the alwise Father had need for his pure soul, among the cherubs around His throne, and while it was hard to give him up, those left know that at last he is free from pain and that his soul pure, white and uncontaminated by the cold world, is now one of the brightest jewels shining in the crown of a loving Jesus, with a luster that time nor eternity can dim.
The funeral was held at the house at 2 o'clock this afternoon, conducted by Rev. Thompson. Interment at Bedford cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 9, 1905
At Rest
Paul, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Coup, departed this life Saturday night at 11 o'clock and is now at rest in the arms of the dear Savior. For several weeks the little fellow had suffered but is now where suffering and pain cannot enter. Funeral services were held at 2 o'clock Monday, conducted by Rev. W. Thompson, after which the little body was laid to rest in Bedford cemetery. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of all.

[COX, JOHN, 1838 – 1905]
Adams County Free Press (Corning, Iowa), Saturday, April 22, 1905
John Cox of Holt township, Taylor county, died on Thursday morning at 4 o'clock of heart trouble, aged 66 years, 11 months and 2 days. He had been ailing for some months, but his sickness was not considered serious until thirty minutes before his death. He was born in England and came to this country a number of years ago and for the past 26 years had lived on the farm where his death occurred. For twenty years he had been totally blind, caused from foul air of the mines in which he worked in England. He leaves a wife and five children to mourn his loss. The children are Mrs. John Gunderman of Taylor county, Mrs. Chas. Mooney of Kirksville, Mo., Mrs. Mark Leach of Lone Star, Ok., and R. [ichard] W. [ilkinson]  and J. [ohn] F. Cox, who reside in the neighborhood. The funeral will be held from the Fairview church today at 2 p. m., conducted by Rev. J. W. Ackley. Interment in the Prairie Rose cemetery.

[COX, JOHN, 1838 – 1905]
Adams County Union-Republican (Corning, Iowa), Wednesday, April 26, 1905
HOLT – John Cox died at his home in this township on Thursday, April 20th, of heart disease. He was in the 67th year of his age. Mr. Cox came to this county from LaSalle, Illinois, in 1869 and located on the farm where he lived at the time of his death. He was a native of Durham county, England. A wife and five children survive him, beside a brother in Colorado and a sister in England. The children are Mrs. John Gunderman, of Grove township; Mrs. Charles Mooney of Kirksville, Missouri; Mrs. Mark Leach, of Lone Star, Oklahoma; Richard, at home; and John, married and living near the home place. The funeral services were held last Saturday at the Fairview church, conducted by Rev. J. W. Ackley and interment made in the Prairie Rose cemetery.
Mrs. Charles Mooney, of Kirksville, Missouri, was called here by the death of her father, John Cox.

[COX, JOHN, 1838 – 1905]
Adams County Free Press (Corning, Iowa), Saturday, April 29, 1905
Died Very Suddenly
John Cox, sr., was born May 17, 1838, in the county of Durham, England. He came to America in 1863 and settled in La Salle, Illinois. He was married October 4, 1865, to Miss Hannah Wilkinson and to them were given six children, five of whom are living, three daughters and two sons. The family came to Iowa in 1879 and located eight miles south of Corning on the farm which has since been their home. Mr. Cox lost his eyesight some twenty years ago and recently has been failing in health. Death came very suddenly and unexpectedly on Thursday morning at five o'clock April 20, 1905. His age was 66 years, 11 months, 3 days. Besides his widow and children, he leaves a sister in England and a brother in Colorado. Our departed friend was a man of abiding faith in God. He had been associated with the church in England and with the Evangelical church in the United States.
Mr. Cox was an early settler of Taylor county and did his part in building up and developing the country. He had a large circle of warm friends who speak well of him.
He was a kind and loving husband and father, a good neighbor, a loyal citizen. He has laid down the burden of life and gone to his reward.
Funeral services were held Saturday at 2 p. m. at Fairview Christian church conducted by the pastor, Rev. J. W. Ackley and the body laid to rest in Prairie Rose cemetery attended by a large company of sorrowing friends. The family have our deepest sympathy in their bereavement.

[COX, JOHN, 1838 – 1905]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 4, 1905
Death of John Cox
John Cox, of Holt township, died at his home on last Thursday morning of heart trouble. He was 66 years old and has been ailing for some time, but his sickness was not considered dangerous until about 30 minutes before he died. He has been totally blind for over 20 years, caused by foul air in the mines in which he worked in England, his native land. He leaves a wife and five children, all of whom are grown to manhood and womanhood. Funeral services were conducted Saturday at Fairview church and interment made in Prairie Rose cemetery. – Gravity Independent

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 2, 1905
Called On a Sad Mission
G. [ilbert] A. [twood] Davidson was called to Grant City last week on a sad mission. Saturday night his mother breathed her last. She had been in feeble health for a number of years but was stricken with paralysis on Wednesday and soon passed away, aged 89 years. The body was laid to rest in Grant City cemetery Monday afternoon following her death. She leaves eight children, four sons and four daughters.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 2, 1905
A Long Life Ended
G. [ilbert A. [twood] Davidson returned home today noon from Grant City where he was called Wednesday evening by a message announcing the serious illness of his mother, Mrs. T. [homas] L. [akin] Davidson. She had suffered from a stroke of paralysis and gradually sank into that sleep which knows no awakening.
The funeral occurred at 1 p. m. Monday at Grant City.
The deceased was 84 years of age. Eight children, four sons and four daughters, survive her. Her husband preceded her to the other world many years ago.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, April 18, 1905
Take Body to Osceola
From Monday's Daily
The body of Mrs. P. E. Dean passed through here today and will be taken to Osceola for interment. The body was accompanied by Mrs. Dean's son, Jasper Dean. She died at Newton, Kas., Saturday.
Mrs. Dean formerly resided in Taylor county but left here about three years ago and has since been making her home in Kansas. During the last few years of her residence here she made her home with her daughter Mrs. Arthur Spacht. She has several relatives and many friends still residing in this vicinity.
Jasper Dean, who accompanied the remains, at one time lived in Taylor county but left here about 15 years ago. He will be remembered by the old settlers and several old friends were at the depot to meet him.

Osceola Democrat (Osceola, Iowa), Thursday, April 20, 1905, April 20, 1905
Mr. and Mrs. D. O. McPhail of Omaha, W. J . Dean of Conway, Kansas and Geo. W. Dean of Blockton came to Osceola, Monday, on the sad errand of laying their mother's body beside that of their father in Pleasant Ridge cemetery.

Osceola Democrat (Osceola, Iowa), Thursday, April 20, 1905
Priscilla Sudduth was born near Wheeling, West Virginia October 23, 1818 and early in life emigrated to Union county, Ohio, where she was married to Moses Dean. To this union nine children were born, five boys and four girls.
The family moved to Clarke county, Iowa, in the fall of 1860 and settled on the old home farm in Ward township which became the center of home influence and so remained until 1885 when death summoned the husband and father and Moses Dean was laid to rest in Pleasant Ridge cemetery on Christmas day. Since that time Mother Dean has made her home most of the time in the homes of her children.
Mother Dean had the happy distinction of being the mother of two soldier boys, James H. the elder losing his life at Chickamauga. Frances J. answered the final roll call about 25 years ago from Fort Smith Arkansas. Elizabeth the eldest daughter also preceded her mother in death. Six children are living to share in this grief, three of whom are present today, Eliza J . McPhail of Omaha, Nebraska, Geo. W. Dean of Blockton, Iowa and W. J. Dean of Conway, Kansas, at whose home Mother Dean passed away. The others are Mary Smith of Red Willow, Nebraska, F. J. Dean of Polk Co. Ark. and Angeletta Zink of Conway, Kansas. Mrs. Dean was converted and with her husband united with the New Light church in Ohio in 1857 or 1858 and when they came to Iowa there being no organization of that church in reach they joined the Methodist Protestant church, when the class worshiped at the Barnhill school and has never moved her membership and through all the trials of such a long and eventful life her faith was not shaken.
She had been for two years up to February last in more than her usual health, since which time her health rapidly failed and April 15 she went on to enjoy the Christian's rest, aged 80 years, 5 months and 22 days.
C. C. D. 

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 4, 1905
NEW MARKET - Mrs. Harve Drennen, aged 59, was found dead in her bed at her home 3 miles southeast, Friday morning. The cause of her death was dropsy, from which she had been ill for several months. Funeral Sunday at the Baptist church in New Market. Interment at Memory.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 1, 1904
--Albert Ethridge [Etheridge], a former resident of Blockton, but for a year or more of Boise, Idaho, died at his home recently. Albert was one of the exemplary young men of Blockton and his family and friends will grieve over his departure.

Salina Evening Journal (Salina, Kansas), Saturday, June 17, 1905
Death of J. A. Fouts
He Succumbed Yesterday at the Salina Hospital
J. [ude] A. Fouts died at the hospital yesterday afternoon of organic disease of the heart.
Mr. Fouts had been sick about two years but had been in the hospital about a week. His sickness was the result of an electrical shock received from a wire.
At the time he received the shock a house was being moved, which necessitated the cutting of a telephone wire. He started to carry the wire across the street out of the way when it came in contact with a telegraph wire. Mr. Fouts began treatment at once but has not been confined to his bed until the past few weeks. The past spring, he made a trip with his mother to Oklahoma and Tescott, returning about six weeks ago.
Mr. Fouts came to Salina from Gravity, Iowa, with his mother a little more than two years ago and has made his home in Salina since that time. A brother, A. J. Fouts, came to Salina from Lincoln county about the same time and is living just east of town. Another brother, S. [mith] E. [ri] Fouts lives in Tribune. Three sisters also survive him, one living near Tingley, Iowa, one at Alva, Oklahoma, and one at Prescott, Arizona. S. E. Fouts arrived from Tribune today.
Mr. Fouts was about forty-five years of age. He had been for years a member of the Methodist church and was a member of the Epworth League. His intellect was keen, his character above reproach. He was respected and admired by a large circle of acquaintances and his death, although not unexpected, brings sadness to his many friends.

Salina Evening Journal (Salina, Kansas), Monday, June 19, 1905
Mr. and Mrs. S. [mith] E. [ri] Fouts and little son, Francis, of Tribune, arrived Saturday to attend the funeral of Mr. Fouts brother.

Salina Semi-Weekly Journal (Salina, Kansas), Tuesday, June 20, 1905
Funeral of J. A. Fouts Held Yesterday—Body Shipped to Iowa today
From Monday's Evening Journal
The funeral services of J. [ude] A. Fouts was held yesterday afternoon at the home of his brother, A. [sbury] L. Fouts, on South Ohio avenue. The sermon was preached by Dr. C. C. Woods. The music was in charge of Misses Grace and Blanche Stauber, Mamie St. John and Frank Eberhardt. Three hymns were sung, "Jesus, Lover of My Soul," "Nearer My God to Thee," and "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." Many beautiful floral remembrances were brought, among them a beautiful design from the Epworth League of which Mr. Fouts was a member.
Mr. Fouts was born in Bedford, Ia., January 21, 1859. His home had been in the same county all his life until two years ago, when he came to Salina, to meet with the accident which after two years of suffering, caused his death. The pallbearers yesterday were W. M. Morgan, W. A. Austin, C. H. Wyatt, T. H. Elrod, J. V. Kerr, Thomas Wellman. The body was taken this morning over the Missouri Pacific to the old home in Gravity, Ia., accompanied by a brother, S. [mith] E. [ri] Fouts, of Tribune.

Leoti Standard (Leoti, Kansas), Thursday, June 22, 1905
J. A. Fouts Died at Salina
Jude A. Fouts, who lived in this county and was surveyor here about fourteen years ago, died at the hospital at Salina, Kansas, last Friday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, after a long illness, at the age of 46 years.
The funeral services were held on Saturday and the remains shipped to Gravity, Iowa for burial. S. [mith] E. [ri] Foutz [Fouts], of Tribune, a brother of the deceased, accompanied the body to its burial place.
Something over a year ago the deceased was employed in helping to move a building in the city and while handling the wires he came in contact with a live one. The shock was nearly fatal at the time. He rallied after a while, but the unfortunate accident caused other troubles which resulted in his death.
The deceased was unmarried. He located in Salina with his mother a short time previous to the accident. He is said to have been a man of unusual religious fervor and a conscientious church man whose life was ever guided by Christian principles.
The mother and one brother were present at his side when death came. The other members of the family are located in different parts of the country. F. P., E. W. and Lloyd Fouts of Leoti are nephews of the deceased.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, June 27, 1905
S. [mith E. [ri] Foutz [Fouts] left this morning on his return home to Tribune, Kans. He arrived here Tuesday with the body of his brother Jude, who died at Salina, Kans., on the 16th of Bright's disease and was buried at Gravity a week ago today.
Mr. Foutz [Fouts] was formerly a resident of Bedford but left here about twenty years ago. He and his parents will be well remembered by all the old settlers.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 25, 1904
A Sad Message
H. E. Mooers received the sad news from Virginia last week of the death of his aunt, Mrs. R. [obert] W. [alker] Graves, sister to Mr. Mooers' mother, at her home in Charles City county. Thus, one by one are the children of light being taken home to their eternal rest.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 27, 1905
Albert Hardy, aged 17 years, died at his father's home near Siam Monday afternoon. The cause of his death was appendicitis.


Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California), Monday, May 6, 1935, p. 27
HERREN – In Berkeley, May 4, 1935, Sarah Ella Herren, beloved mother of Mrs. Leotta Petersen and Mrs. John De Groot, grandmother of Nelladean and John Herren Petersen; sister of Mrs. Anna Campbell of Des Moines, Iowa; a native of Illinois, aged 62 years.
Funeral and interment in Corning, California. (Arrangements by Truman's.)

[HUEY, CHARLES, 1850 - 1905]
Pittsburgh Press (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), Thursday, March 23, 1905
Farmer Charles Huey Hanged Himself in Barn
Charles Huey went out into his barn near Deer Creek Church and hung himself early this morning. He was a farmer and his home was eight miles east of Barkerstown [Bakerstown], on the Tarentum road. He was accustomed to rising early and when he got up this morning, he is thought to have done the fatal deed immediately. The case was reported to the coroner by J. Frank Harbison of Bakerstown. Huey was a farmer, 50 years old and married. It is said he had been despondent.

[HUEY, CHARLES, 1850 - 1905]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Friday, March 24, 1905
Death of Chas. Huey
Mrs. Jesse Fulton received a message this morning from Pittsburg, Pa., conveying the sad intelligence of the death of her brother, Charles Huey. She will leave for that place on the late train this evening. Mrs. Fulton had not seen her brother for about twenty years. He was a young man when she last met him or visited the old home.
The message gave no particulars and Mrs. Fulton does not know when her brother died or the cause of his death.

[JOHNSON, MARTHA, MRS., 1824 – 1904]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 21, 1904
Died at a Ripe Old Age
Over eighty years ago Martha Johnson, colored, first saw the light of day on a Tennessee plantation. She moved to Ohio in 1864 and later to Galesburg. She married, came to Iowa and with her husband and children, lived on a farm near Gravity a number of years, where her husband died. She then came to Bedford where she lived up to the time of her death, which occurred on Friday, July 15. She was the mother of eight children, four living and four dead. The funeral was conducted in the A. M. E. church of which she was a member, on Sunday morning by Rev. Wharton of Clarinda. Many beautiful plants and flowers were contributed as tokens of respect to the deceased. Interment in Fairview cemetery. Many friends followed the body to its last resting place.

Newton Record (Newton, Iowa), Friday, July 2, 1897
MONROE – Mrs. Emily Johnston, mother of Robert Johnston, died very suddenly last evening. She was around the house, apparently as well as usual, at bed time, but was taken off very suddenly during the night. She was quite old.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 5, 1905
A Sad Errand
From Saturday's Daily
On Wednesday a message was received here telling of the death at Shawnee, Okla., on the day before, of J. [ohn] H. [adley] Johnston, a brother of Mrs. R. [ebecca] M. Walker and an uncle of Mrs. C. C. Corson. On Wednesday evening Mr. Corson left for Shawnee for the purpose of taking the body to Des Moines for burial and he is expected to pass through here tonight.
On Thursday Mrs. Walker left for Des Moines to make arrangements for the burial which will be held as soon as the body arrives there.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 2, 1905
--Mrs. George King of Athelstan died Monday night at the home of J. A. King, Blockton. The funeral was conducted in the M. E. church. Interment in Platteville cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 2, 1905
Death at Blockton
Mrs. Alice King, wife of George King, who resides at Athelstan, died at the home of J. A. King in Blockton last night at 7:30.
Some six weeks ago Mrs. King went to Blockton for treatment and was taken so ill she could not return home.
The funeral will occur at 10 o'clock tomorrow at the M. E. church in Blockton. Interment at Platteville cemetery.

Blockton News (Blockton, Iowa), Thursday, January 30, 1930
Twenty-Five Years Ago
Mrs. G. [eorge] W. [ashington] King died at the home of J. A. King Jan. 30, aged 48 years.

Brown County World (Hiawatha, Kansas), Friday, July 8, 1904
KROMER – Mrs. Peter Kromer [Krohmer] died Thursday night, July 5, of consumption, at her home in West Hiawatha. Mrs. Kromer was 21 years old and a daughter of A. Hayes, who was called home from Kansas City. She was a granddaughter of Mrs. W. W. McNatt. Besides her husband she leaves a little son two years old. The funeral was held at the home Thursday afternoon at two o'clock, conducted by Rev. J. D. M. Buckner. Burial was made in Mt. Hope cemetery.
[Note: The last name is spelled Krohmer on her headstone.]

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 21, 1904
--Mrs. Florence Krohmer died at the home of her parents in Hiawatha, Kansas, July 5, 1904. Mrs. Krohmer was a resident of Conway until a short time ago when she went to Kansas hoping the change of climate would benefit her health. She has many friends here who sympathize with the bereft husband and child. – Conway Journal

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 8, 1904
--J. [ohn] P. [eter] Khromer's {Krohmer} wife, who recently died at Hiawatha, Kan., was insured in the Fraternal Aid of Bedford for $1,000 and the indebtedness was satisfactorily liquidated.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 20, 1904
William Laud, a young man about 27 years of age, whose home was in Mason township, was kicked in the breast by a horse Friday evening and died last night. Particulars are not at hand.

Mrs. John F. Lewis of Big Horn, died this morning at 8 o'clock, after a lingering illness of about three years, during which time everything possible was done for her relief. Her home has been in Sheridan County for the past twenty years where she was loved by everyone who knew her. She leaves a husband and two sons to mourn her loss. A suitable obituary notice will appear in a future issue of the Post.

LEWIS- Mary Almira Gardner was born in Loraine County, Ohio, January 11, 1844, and died at her home in Big Horn, Wyo., January 24, 1905. She moved with her parents when young to Madison, Wis., where she grew to womanhood. She moved to Bedford, Ia., in 1860, and was married to John F. [ranklin] Lewis in December 1861. She moved with her husband to Sheridan County, Wyo., in 1883. To this union were born three children, a daughter and two sons. The former died in infancy. The two sons, L. F. Lewis, who lives in Basin City, Wyo., and W. K. Lewis of Big Horn, survive their mother.
Mrs. Lewis was happily converted when quite a young girl, and united with the M. E. church, in which she has maintained a faithful, consistent Christian life. She was always a constant, loving companion, a kind and devoted mother, and a benediction to all who know her. She truly exemplified the character of her Lord and Master.
A large concourse of friends attended her funeral as she was gently laid away to rest, her spirit resting with Christ, her Savior. There remaineth therefore a rest for the people of God. Rev. E. J. Robinson officiating.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 2, 1905
Death of Mrs. John Lewis
A letter was received yesterday conveying the sad intelligence of the death of Mrs. Elmira Lewis, wife of John Lewis, at Big Horn, Wyo., on Jan. 25th.
Mrs. Lewis was well known in Taylor county, having moved here with her parents at an early age and made this her home for many years. Her husband was for a long time one of Bedford's business men. They moved to Wyoming about 15 years ago.
[Note: The first name is given as Almira on her headstone.]

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 30, 1905
--Mrs. Dr. Long died at her home in Gravity Sunday morning at 7 o'clock, aged 42 years. She was born in Taylor county in 1863. A husband and two children remain as well as her mother, two sisters and a brother.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 29, 1904
--Jasper Long, one of the old settlers of the county, residing west of New Market, died at his home Saturday, December 17. Interment in Memory cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 12, 1905
Answers the Last Roll Call
John Warren McDowell, an old and well-respected citizen of Taylor county died Saturday night at about 11 o'clock, at his home near Old Memory, age 65 years, 6 months and 3 days. 
The deceased was born July 4th, 1839 in Pennsylvania, but at an early age, with his parents he emigrated to Ohio, settling near Portsmouth, where most of his youthful days were spent.
When the first call came in 1861 for volunteers to defend our country and the flag, he was one of the first to respond, serving 4 years, 5 month and 15 days.
On Jan. 14th, 1869 he was married to Mrs. Cora Aylward and to this union was born six children who still survive him—three girls and three boys.
He united with the Christian church in September 1903 and thereafter was an active and consistent member.
A loving father, a tender husband, a true and loyal friend. He lived an upright life and so far as human frailties permit, followed the precepts of the Golden Rule.
For a quarter of a century Mr. McDowell was a citizen of Taylor county and of Bedford for one year and many are the friends whose sympathy goes out to the loved ones left behind.
The funeral was held on Monday at 10 a. m. at the residence, conducted by Rev. Furgeson and was attended by a large concourse of friends. Interment at Memory cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 2, 1904
A Sudden Death
Monday evening James McMacken, while in the office of Dr. McColm at New Market, dropped dead without a moment's warning. Deceased was an old settler of Taylor county but of late was a resident of Kansas City and was visiting at New Market at the time of his death. He was for a long time a resident of Bedford, having in 1879, in partnership with Henry May, built the brick barn and conducted a livery business. The body was taken to Kansas City for burial.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, July 4, 1905
A. Morrell Dead
A message from California tells of the dangerous illness of A. Morrell of Blockton, who went west for his health some months ago. Mr. Morrell formerly resided at Lenox and is well known in Taylor county. The message stated that Mr. Morrell could not possibly live more than a few days. His daughter, Mrs. Z. [eno] A. [ndrew] Campbell and husband, started for California immediately upon receipt of the message.
Later: A letter has been received saying that Mr. Morrell died before his daughter reached his bedside.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 6, 1905
Succumbs to Cancer of the Stomach
A. [dam] Morrell, who has been a resident of Corning the past three months, died Saturday evening at his home on South street. Mr. Morrell had been in ill health for many months and his death was not unexpected. In fact, he came to Corning largely on account of his hopes to be benefited by a change of climate. His hopes were of no avail and he gradually grew weaker until the end, passing quietly and peacefully away.
The deceased was born in Ohio 73 years ago and when a young man moved to Iowa, where he enjoyed a prosperous and successful business career.
He leaves a loving wife, one son and two daughters to mourn his loss. One of the daughters, Mrs. Dr. D. [on] V. [ictor] Herren, resides in Richfield colony. The other, Mrs. Z. A. Campbell, resides in Iowa.
He was a member of the Masonic fraternity for nearly 40 years. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and led an upright and Christian life, beloved by a host of friends who mourn his passing away.
The funeral services were held at the residence June 29, at 2 o'clock, Rev. J. U. Simmons officiating.
The remains were interred in Odd Fellows cemetery. – Corning (Cal.) Observer.
Mr. Morrell was an old resident of Taylor county and was one of our most honored and respected citizens. He had been in active business at Lenox and Blockton for a number of years. For a long time, he was associated with his son-in-law, Z. A. Campbell, in the grocery business at Blockton. He was an honest, enterprising, business man, a good neighbor, a loving father and enjoyed the friendship of all who knew him. In his death the community loses one of its best citizens. The Free Press joins the many friends in extending sympathy to the bereaved family.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 1, 1905
J. W. Paschal Dead
Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at the family home on east Howard street over the remains of the late J. [ames] W. Paschal. The obsequies were conducted by J. H. Senseney of the M. E. church and were attended by a large number of the friends of the family and the remains were laid to rest at Graceland cemetery, to which place they were followed by an imposing funeral cortege. – Creston American
J. [ames] W. Paschal was an uncle of Dr. C. M. Paschal of this place. Dr. and Mrs. Paschal attended the funeral services.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 30, 1905
Almost a Centenarian
At Lenox on Sunday, March 29, occurred the death of one of the oldest citizens of southern Iowa, Mrs. Mary Paymal, at the age of 99 years, 4 months and 19 days. Her maiden name was Mary Jaqua [Jacquot] and she first saw the light of day in Bocure [Vaucourt], France, November 30, 1805. At the age of 21 years she married Francis Paymal. To this union was born six children, three of whom survive her—Celestine Filburt [Filbert] and Eugene Paymal of Lenox and Isadore Paymal, Conway. Decedent came to America in 1848 and to Iowa in 1874.
The funeral services were conducted at St. Patrick's church in Lenox by Father Noonan. The body was taken to Kickapoo, Ill., for interment.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, March 7, 1905
Saturday's items
Rev. Jones was called to Conway today to preach the funeral sermon of Mr. Porter's little child which died there yesterday.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 9, 1905
--Rev. Jones was called to Conway Saturday to preach the funeral of Harald Porter, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Porter of that place. Interment in the Conway cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, May 26, 1905
Obituary – Hannah Ellen Prickett was born in Indiana, April 17, 1852 and when about six years of age, she came with her parents to Taylor county, Iowa.
On October 8, 1871, she was united in marriage to Elijah Burris. To them were born five boys and six girls, of whom three girls and two boys are yet living. All of the others died in infancy except one boy who died on April 28, 1904, at Montrose, Colo.
Mr. Burris died on March 2nd, 1884, and in August 1885 the widow was married to Edgar Powell. Two or three years ago they moved to New Market, where they have continued to make their home.
Mrs. Powell was a member of the Christian church and had been a faithful follower of the Christ for more than forty years. She was taken suddenly ill on the night of May 18 and at midnight she went into the better land.
Funeral services were held at the Christian church in New Market, on Sunday, May 21, at 2 p. m., conducted by Will O. Hutchings, assisted by Rev. J. F. Moore, Baptist pastor at New Market. The burial took place at Dallas Centre cemetery.
Mrs. Powell was a splendid woman; kind, neighborly and faithful in word and work to the teachings of the Master. That she was beloved by the many who had known her, was evidenced by the fact that one of the largest audiences that New Market had seen for a long time congregated at her funeral.
[Note: The same obituary was published in the Clarinda Journal, May 26, 1905.]

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 1, 1905
NEW MARKET – Mrs. Edgar Powell died at her home in this city on last Thursday night, May 18, and was buried in the Dallas Center cemetery on Sunday, May 21. She leaves a husband and five children to mourn their loss.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 29, 1904
--Mrs. H. [enry] C. [lay] Webb and daughter, Nettie, were called to Lexington, Mo., last Friday, by the illness of the little five months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Rawson, daughter of Mrs. Webb. Monday morning Mr. Webb received the sad intelligence of the death of the little one. The many Bedford friends of Mr. and Mrs. Rawson sympathize with them in their bereavement.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 23, 1905
Word has just been received of the death of this afternoon of Mrs. Ross, aged 76, who has been making her home with her son, L. [emuel] P.[rice]  Ross, who lives on Route 4, about 6 miles northwest of the city. She has been failing for a year or more and a week ago was taken with pneumonia which caused her death.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 23, 1905
Obituary – Cassie Marie Ross, whose maiden name was Blunt, was born in Knox county, O., Aug. 28, 1828 and died at the family homestead in Benton township, Taylor county, Iowa, Feb. 17, 1905. She was married in Ohio to Jas. Ross Oct. 27, 1850 and in 1856 moved to the neighborhood where she has since resided. Her husband preceded her to the spirit land about twenty years ago. Eight children came to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ross, all of whom, with a large circle of grandchildren, are still living. In her youth she united with the Christian church, later she became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Gilead, where her faithful and consistent life has been a blessing to many.
The funeral service was held Feb. 20th at the old homestead, where, with her son, L.[emuel] P. [rice] Ross she has continued to make her home since the death of her husband. Interment was at the Titus cemetery. The services were conducted by Rev. Wm. B. Thompson, assisted by Rev. G. W. Maine of New Market.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 23, 1905
Funeral of Mrs. Ross
Cassie M.[arie] Ross was born in Knox Co., Ohio, Aug. 28, 1828 and died at the family homestead in Benton township, Taylor county, Iowa, Feb. 17, 1905. She was married in Ohio to James Ross, Oct. 27, 1850 and in 1856 moved to the place where she has since resided. Her husband preceded her to the spirit land about twenty years ago. Eight children came to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ross, all of whom with a large circle of grandchildren, are still living. In her youth she united with the Christian church. Later, she became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Gilead where her faithful and consistent life has been a blessing to many.
The funeral service was held February 20 at the old homestead, where, with her son, L. P. Ross, she has continued to make her home since the death of her husband. Interment was at the Titus cemetery. The services were conducted by Rev. W. B. Thompson, assisted by Rev. G. W. Maine of New Market.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 12, 1905
A Double Death
Monday morning Mrs. Henry Schwemley died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. F. Gregory, Conway. Tuesday the mother died, making a double bereavement in this home. Such a sorrow coming to the home is well-nigh unbearable to the husband and father who has the sympathy of all.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 12, 1905
Mother and Daughter Die
Mrs. Henry Schwemley, Formerly Miss Annie Gregory, Died Yesterday at Conway—Today Her Mother, Mrs. F. S. Gregory, Follows Her to the Beyond.
From Tuesday's Daily
Yesterday Mrs. Henry Schwemley died at the home of her parents in Conway. Today at noon the Angel of Death again visited this fireside and Mrs. Schwemley's mother, Mrs. F. S. Gregory, was called to go. Mrs. Gregory had been sick for a long time and her death was not unexpected, but the death of her daughter came as a sudden blow.
Mrs. Gregory had been ailing for some months and her daughter, who resided in Oklahoma, came to nurse her and be at her bedside when the last sad hour should come. Little she thought that when the spirit of her beloved mother left this mortal clay, she would be on the other shore to welcome her to the land of happiness and bliss. But so it was. Mrs. Schwemley was taken ill some time ago but last week she had so far recovered, that business at their home demanding his attention, her husband left for Oklahoma. He stopped for a day or two at St. Joe and it was there the message reached him which told him that his wife was no more. Her death occurred about noon yesterday, the immediate cause being hemorrhage of the lungs.
Only twenty-four hours did the daughter precede her mother to the spirit world. At noon today Mrs. Gregory breathed her last. She had been an invalid for a long time and was very weak. The shock caused by the death of her only daughter no doubt broke the slender thread which bound her soul to this world of pain and sorrow, but under other circumstances her days on earth must have been but few. To her it was a happy release from suffering and pain, her only regret being the anguish her death would bring to her bereaved companion.
Mr. F. S. Gregory has been a resident of Conway for many years and is well known, not only in the vicinity of his home, but throughout the county as well; and all who know him are his friends and deeply sympathize with him in this heart-breaking affliction.
The death of one loved one is a sorrowful affliction but when little more than a day, both wife and only child are taken, the grief and anguish is more poignant and bitter than pen can write, and life seems bereft of all its joy and beauty. The load of sorrow the bereaved husband and father must bear is greater than comes to all, and the heartfelt sympathy of all his friends is with him and the sorrowing husband of his only child, whose grief is no less hard to bear.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 12, 1905
From Wednesday's Daily
The funeral of Mrs. Gregory and Mrs. Schwemley was held at the Commercial hotel in Conway at 2 o'clock this afternoon. The bodies had been taken to the hotel in order that there might be more room to accommodate the friends, and the weather remaining so bad it was thought best to hold the services there and not attempt to go to the church.
Notwithstanding the storm, many friends were present to pay last respects and show their sympathy for the bereaved husbands. Immediately after the funeral, interment was made at the Conway cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 15, 1931
James Schwemley – Mrs. H. [erbert] L. Lake of this city received word the first of this week announcing the death last Saturday morning of her brother, James Schwemley at his home at Sparks, Okla. No particulars had been received at this writing. Mr. Schwemley was a former resident of Taylor county, having passed his boyhood days on the Schwemley farm near Conway and will be remembered by many of the old residents of that locality. He was about 65 years of age.

South-West Democrat (Bedford, Iowa), Friday, July 13, 1888
--Leopold Schwemley, of Kansas, brother of Wm. Schwemley, of Conway, died Sunday at the residence of the latter and was buried at the Lexington cemetery on the 10th inst. Cancer of the stomach was the cause of his demise. He came to this county in 1856 and settled at the town of Lexington, which was then building up rapidly and remained there until about 1865 when in company with his father-in-law, W. H. Allison, he moved to Kansas. Mr. Schwemley was a very exemplary young man and left many friends behind him when he left the county.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 2, 1904
--Word was received Saturday of the death of Mrs. Sebers [Severs], grandmother of Mrs. Ridgeway, at her home in Elmo, Mo.

Adair County Democrat (Greenfield, Iowa), Thursday, January 19, 1905
BRIDGEWATER – Wm. Starkey died, Thursday evening at the home of his son, Alvia. Funeral services was held at the Christian church, Sunday at 11 o'clock, Rev. Johnson of Cumberland officiating. 
Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell, of Bedford, were present at the funeral of the latter's father, Wm. Starkey, on Sunday.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 19, 1905
William Starkey Dead
Chas Maxwell and wife left on the evening train yesterday for Bridgewater, Adair county, Iowa, where they were called by a message announcing the death of Mrs. Maxwell's father, Wm. Starkey. The deceased formerly resided here but went to Adair county about three years ago. His death occurred Friday morning at 10 o'clock and the funeral was held today. No particulars regarding the cause of his death were received.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 22, 1904
--Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Stewart, living about two miles southeast of Siam, had the misfortune to lose their two-year-old daughter last week with dysentery. They have the sympathy of a wide circle of friends in their bereavement.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 25, 1905
Died at a Ripe Old Age
Dorthea Morse Child Sumner died at the residence of her brother, F. [loyd] C.[ushman], at Cromwell, Iowa, aged 91 years, 8 months and 28 days. Born in Exeter, N. Y. August 25, 1813, died May 22, 1905.
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 at the home of her brother. She was a sister of E. [rastus] Child of this city.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 25, 1905
--Mrs. Thomas Torrance of Monmouth, Ill., who is assisting in taking care of her mother, Mrs. E. [rastus] Child, attended the funeral of her aunt, Mrs. D. M. Sumner, at Cromwell, Ia.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Tuesday, May 30, 1905
Long Life Ended
Died near Cromwell, Iowa, May 22, 1905, at the home of her brother, F.[loyd] C.[ushman] Chiles [Child], Mrs. D. M. Sumner, aged 91 years, 8 months and 28 days. She was a sister of E. [rastus] Childs [Child] of this city.

Adams County Free Press (Corning, Iowa), Wednesday, May 31, 1905
Dorothe Moser Child was born in Exeter, New York, August 25, 1813, and died at Cromwell, Iowa, May 22, 1905 at the age of 91 years, 8 months and 27 days, after an illness of four weeks. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Thompson Child, of Woodstock, Connecticut, and she was the fourth child of a family of thirteen children. She was married December 31, 1833, to Willard Child in Exeter, New York. They settled in Bradford, Steuben county, New York, which was in the far west in those days. Three children were born to this union, one son, Edward Delevan Child and two daughters, Clarissa E. Child and Mrs. Loretta Reed, all of whom have passed to the other shore. After her husband died in March 1842, she returned to her old home with her children, the son going to live with relatives of his father in Woodstock, Connecticut. On March 8, 1864, she was united in marriage to Deacon Cyril Sumner, of East Pharsalia, New York, where she made her home until the death of her husband in 1881, when she and her daughter, Miss Clarissa, came to Princeton, Iowa to live with her other daughter, Mrs. Loretta Reed. On the death of her daughter, Mrs. Reed, in 1884, she and her daughter went to Oneida, Illinois, to live with her sister, Mrs. F. T. Ferris. In October 1899, after her daughter had passed away, she came to Cromwell to live with her youngest brother, Floyd C. Child, which was her home at the time of her death. She leaves two brothers, Erastus Child, of Bedford, Iowa, and Floyd C. [ushman] Child of Cromwell, Iowa, and one sister, Mrs. F. T. Ferris, of Wheaton, Illinois, and a number of nephews and nieces. She united with the Congregational church at Exeter, New York, at an early age and has lived a faithful and consistent Christian life ever since, being a member of the Cromwell Congregational church at the time of her death, although she hasn't been able to attend any services since coming to Cromwell. Her life has been a useful one in her younger days, especially in caring for sick people, and it can be said: "She hath done what she could." A short service was held on Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 at the home of her brother, Rev. E. R. McCorkle, pastor of the Congregational church, conducting the services and taking for his text the last clause of the 32nd verse of the 14th chapter of Proverbs: "But the righteous hath hope in his death;" and we give here a brief outline of the sermon: [sermon not transcribed]
A quartet composed of L. Hitchcock and W. S. Mills and Misses May and Edith Hitchcock, sang three songs, "Jesus, Lover of My Soul," "Rock of Ages" and "Nearer My God to Thee," the first song being a favorite with the deceased and which she often repeated during her last illness. The pall bearers were J. H. Ours of Creston, R. Colbert, L. Hitchcock, J. S. Stahlnecker, M. L. Maxwell and Wm. McSkimmings. A nice floral offering was given by friends. The interment was made in the Cromwell cemetery, where the grave was very nicely decorated with flowers and evergreens.
[Note: The Christening record gives her middle name as Morse. Source: New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962]

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 26, 1905

Saturday's Daily
Mrs. William Smith went to Lenox today noon to attend the funeral of her little grandchild, the 9 months old babe of Mr. and Mrs. H. [enry] D. [exter] Thomas. The little one died last night, and the funeral will be held today.

[THOMPSON, W. A. "PETE", - 1904]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 21, 1904
Death of W. A. Thompson
For nearly ten years "Pete" Thompson was the gentlemanly and obliging depot agent at Blockton. Although having but one arm, "Pete" handled business better than any other man who ever accepted the same place. He had a devoted wife and loving, dutiful children but in an evil moment he was tempted to give up his laborious but pleasant and profitable position and go to the arid, dusty and sunbaked plains of New Mexico and engage in sheep raising. The business did not suit "Pete" and the climate, added to his discouragements attendant upon hard luck, caused him to succumb to brain trouble, and he passed to the great beyond. Mr. Thompson was a good citizen, and his death will be mourned by many.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 16, 1905
--Owing to the death of Geo. VanHorn of New Market while visiting in Salt Lake City, the federal court, to convene at Creston on March 28, must draw another juror to take the place of Mr. Van Horn, who was on the regular panel.

Belvidere Daily Republican (Belvidere, Illinois), Wednesday, October 29, 1930
Resident of Genoa Expired on Tuesday
In poor health for some time, Mrs. Caroline Corson Williams, 76, died at her home in Genoa yesterday at 10 o'clock at [words missing] the Methodist church in Genoa. The remains will be taken to Bedford, Iowa, for burial. She leaves to mourn her death three daughters, one son and a sister.

Sycamore True Republican (Sycamore, Illinois), Wednesday, October 29, 1930
Death This Morning of Mrs. C. Williams, a Resident of Genoa
Mrs. Caroline Williams of Genoa died at 11 o'clock this Tuesday morning at her home on Genoa street. She was 76 years of age. Her husband, Robert Williams, died about 18 years ago. Mrs. Williams had resided in Genoa for about eight years.
She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. J. Craddock of Monmouth, Mrs. Winifred Colton of Genoa and Mrs. Bertha Williams of Sterling. Also, she is survived by one son, Harry Williams of Chicago, one grandchild and one sister, Mary Williams of Denver, Colo., and one brother, Milton Corson of Genoa.
Funeral services will be held Thursday, Oct. 30, at 10 a. m. in the Genoa Methodist church. Interment will be in the family lot in Bedford, Ia.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 16, 1904
Mr. and Mrs. Will Young were permitted to enjoy their baby only two days and an angel of light came and took it to the God who gave it. Words cannot heal the broken hearts but there is consolation in knowing that where baby is the loving parents can be also.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Wednesday, December 28, 1904
Mysterious Death Near Clearfield
Thomas Young, a farmer living two miles south of Clearfield, just across the line in Ringgold county, died Thursday while being hauled from his field to the house. The cause of his death is surrounded with mystery.
The day before his death he started for Clearfield and did not return until evening when he stated to his family that he had fallen into a ditch and lay unconscious all day. However, he did not complain and ate supper and slept as well as usual. Thursday, he went to the field with his young son but was soon taken sick. A wagon was procured to haul him home but before the house was reached, he expired.
The coroner's jury returned a verdict of death from causes unknown.
The deceased was 42 years of age and leaves a wife and several children.