submitted by: Julia Johnson -

Lincoln Evening Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Friday, November 10, 1967
ADKINS – Randall R., 66, 1611 So. 16th, died Thursday. Services: 2 p. m. Sunday, Metcalf's, 245 No. 27th. The Re. John W. Ekwall. Burial Bedford, Ia.

Maryville Daily Forum (Maryville, Missouri), Thursday, November 16, 1967
Mrs. Willis Adkins, Mrs. Elbert Sloan, Mrs. Ada Adkins, Mrs. Ray Jones, Luke Adkins, Mrs. Cleda Brush, Lee Adkins and Mr. and Mrs. Randall Kelley attended the graveside services Monday afternoon at the Graceland Cemetery near Bedford, Ia., for Ted Adkins, a former resident of Elmo. Adkins died Friday in a Lincoln, Neb. hospital.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday
Stephen R. Akes – Stephen R. [utherford] Akes was born in the state of Kentucky, December 19, 1821, and departed this life May 20, 1908, to enter the house not made with hands. When deceased was nine years of age, he removed with his parents to McCoupin county, Illinois and in the year 1868 removed to Decatur county, Iowa, where he resided continuously until his death. The deceased was known in the community where he lived as an honorable, upright, Christian man; his influence always being in the cause that he deemed right and just. He was a man of original thought and research, a great student of the bible and had the courage to stand for the right at all times and under all circumstances. After removing to Decatur county, Mr. Akes became a member of the Palestine Baptist church and remained a faithful member until his death. Until the last few years he was very active in church work and not until old age compelled him to desist did he cease his activity. During the life of his wife and as long as he maintained a home, it was always opened to his friends or to strangers who might be in the neighborhood. The ministers who preached at Palestine church usually made his home their headquarters.
The deceased was one of the early members of the Odd Fellow lodge of Decatur, Iowa, was ever faithful and strongly attached to the principles of the order.
Stephen R. Akes was the father of sixteen children and left living at the time of his decease descendants as follows, to wit: Lydia Warren, Mattie Payne, W. [illiam] P.[rice] Akes, Henry Akes, Susan Brown, Emma Bane, Oma Kohal, C. [harles] M. Akes, Benjamin and John Akes, all of whom being at his bedside at the time of his death except three, who lived at so great a distance they could not come. There are sixty-four grandchildren and sixty-four great grandchildren.
The funeral services were held at the Palestine church Thursday afternoon conducted by the Rev. Joseph Edwards. A large number of relatives and friends were in attendance. Interment was in the Palestine cemetery.
"Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord for henceforth yea sayeth the spirit that they may rest from their labors and their works do follow them." – Leon Reporter.
Stephen R. Akes, whose death is chronicled above is the father of Mrs. G. B. Warren of this city. Mr. Akes has visited here in the past and was known to numerous residents of this vicinity and was highly regarded by all.

Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Monday, November 20, 1916
Mrs. Harriet Amanda Allred, aged sixty-one years, 2503 Lake street, died at 1:50 p. m. Sunday. She was the wife of Thomas A. [llen] Allred. She leaves one daughter and three sons, Mrs. Parintha Johnson of Kansas City, who was with her mother when she died; Leonard H. and Earl C. Allred of California and Maitland S. Allred of Lincoln. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Tuesday, November 21, 1916
Mrs. Harriet Amanda Allred, aged 61 years, died Sunday afternoon at the home, 2503 Lake street, College View. She was the wife of Thomas A. [len] Allred. She leaves four children, one daughter and three sons: Parintha Johnson of Kansas City and Leonard H. Allred of Glendora, Calif. and Earl T. Allred of Weed, Calif. The funeral will not be held until the sons arrive. The body is being held at Morey's undertaking parlors in College View.

Lincoln Journal Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Thursday, November 23, 1916
The funeral of Mrs. Thomas Allred will be held from the Seventh Day Adventist church, Fifteenth and E streets, at 11 a. m. Friday. Elder J. S. Hart of College View will deliver the sermon. Interment will be in College View cemetery. Mrs. Allred died early Sunday afternoon at her home, 2503 Lake street.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Tuesday, November 28, 1916
Mrs. Harriet Amanda Allred, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard D. Hatfield of Bedford, Ia., died November 19, 1916, at the St. Elizabeth hospital in Lincoln, Neb., after an operation, aged 61 years, 11 months and 21 days.
On December 9, 1875, she was united in marriage to Thomas A. [llen] Allred at Bedford, Ia., and to this union were born seven children, four of whom are still living.
Early in life she gave her heart to the Lord and was converted to the Seventh Day Adventist belief under the labors of Elder Marshall Enoch and wife at Laton, Kas., thirty-two years ago, and united with them in Christian fellowship and remained faithful until called by death.
She watched the growth of the message with great interest and in order to hasten the work on earth, she was very liberal in offerings, both at home and in foreign lands.

She passed through many severe trials for the sake of the truth. But in all of them, she stood firm. She loved to read her Bible, and while able to do so, her seat in the church was seldom vacant. She was a faithful and devoted wife, a kind and loving mother and was highly respected by all who knew her.
She was faithful in teaching the children the way of life. And it can truly be said of her That her children can rise up and call her blessed.
During her illness she suffered much but manifested a Christian spirit and was fully resigned to the will of the Lord.
She leaves a husband, one daughter, Parentha Johnson of Kansas City, Kas., and three sons, L. [eonard] H. [atfield] Allred of Glendora, Calif., Earl T.[homas] Allred of Weed, Calif., M.[aitland] F.[orrest] Allred of Lincoln, Neb. and a large number of near and dear relatives and friends to mourn the loss of a loving and Christian mother in Israel. But in their sorrow and loneliness are comforted with the thought that she is safe in the arms of Jesus, so they mourn not, even as others which have no hope.
While at the hospital for fear of not reaching home again, she wrote a note with trembling hand, in which she made a choice of the songs, also the one she wished to conduct the funeral and with love bid the family good by and handed the note to her companion.
In harmony with her request, the writer conducted the service in the Adventist church, assisted by Elder C. T. McMoody.
Words of comfort were spoken from Rev. 21.4 to a large and attentive audience. Many beautiful floral gifts were brought by her friends as a last token of their love and sympathy.
A large number followed the remains to the College View cemetery where we laid her away to rest until the life giver comes to awake the sleeping saints from their dusty beds to a life that has no end.  Elder J. S. Hart.

News-Palladium (Benton Harbor, Michigan), Thursday, November 9, 1961
Fruit Market Broker, 64, Dies Suddenly
Maitland F. [orrest] Allred, 64, of 169 Bradford Drive, Fairplain, died suddenly in his home at 9 o'clock Wednesday evening. He had not been ill at all recently, his family said.
For 35 years he had been a broker on the Benton Harbor Fruit Market and owned his own trucks. He moved to Fairplain seven years ago from Berrien Springs to be nearer his work.
Mr. Allred has belonged to the Berrien County Shrine Club for 25 years and was a member of Saladin Temple. He had been a member of the Benton Harbor Elks Lodge for 27 years.
He was born in Bedford, Ia. on Nov. 28, 1896, the son of Thomas and Harriet Allred. He married Cecille Weeks on Sept. 27, 1916 at Omaha, Neb.
Survivors besides his wife are three sons, I. LaMar Allred of Fort Worth, Tex., Kenneth J., owner of the Allred Funeral home in Berrien Springs and Earl F., of Berrien Springs; a daughter, Mrs. Melvin (Joyce) Rosen of Stevensville; 12 grandchildren; and a brother, Leonard, of Los Angeles, Calif. Another daughter, Miss Frances Allred, died in 1943.
Services will be held at 2:30 Sunday afternoon in the Benton Harbor Seventh day Adventist church on Colfax avenue, with Elder W. W. White, pastor, officiating and Elder R. U. Garrett of Berrien Springs assisting.
Burial will be in Rose Hill cemetery, Berrien Springs. Friends may call after 1 p. m.  Friday at the Allred Funeral home, Berrien Springs.
[Note: The same announcement was published in the Herald-Press (Saint Joseph, Michigan), November 9, 1961.]

Herald -Press (Saint Joseph, Michigan), Monday, November 13, 1961
Allred Rites Held
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon in the Seventh Day Adventist church, Benton Harbor, for Maitland F. [orrest] Allred, 64, 169 Bradford dr., Fairplain, who died at his home Wednesday evening.
Elder W. W. White, church pastor and Elder R. U. Garrett of Berrien Springs, officiated. Cecil Lemon sang "Peace, Perfect Peace" and "God Will Understand," accompanied at the organ by Mrs. Phil Hopkins.
Casket bearers were Edward Gersonde, S. M. (Duke) Zerbel, Morton (Bud) Litowich, William Klum, Leo Litowich and Frank Colby.
Burial was in the Rose Hill cemetery, Berrien Springs.
The Allred funeral home, Berrien Springs, was in charge of arrangements.

Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Thursday, April 26, 1923
Allred – Mrs. F. A. Johnson,334 West Twelfth street, College View, received word Wednesday that her father T. [homas] A. [llen] Allred had died in Kansas City. Mr. Allred was sixty-five years old. The body will be brought to Lincoln Thursday evening for burial.

Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Friday, April 27, 1923
Allred – the body of T. [homas] A. [llen] Allred, who died at Kansas City Wednesday will be brought to Lincoln Saturday morning. It will be held at the Morey funeral home pending funeral arrangements. Mr. Allred was the father of Mrs. F. [ Sylvester] A. Johnson, 334 West Twelfth street, College View.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Saturday, April 28, 1923
The body of Thomas Allred, 57 years old, who died Wednesday at Kansas City, Mo., arrived in Lincoln at 1 a. m. Saturday and was taken to Morey's funeral home. Funeral services will be held at 2 p. m. Sunday at Morey's funeral parlors. Elder J. F. Hart will conduct the services. Interment will be made in the College View cemetery. Mr. Allred was a pioneer resident of Lincoln and had lived here until four years ago when he moved to Kansas City. He leaves four children: Leonard, of Arnold, Neb.; Earl of Vancouver, Wash.; Nathan of Berrien Springs, Mich. and Mrs. F. [Sylvester] A. Johnson of College View. All of the children will be in Lincoln for the funeral.
[Note: He died in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, not Kansas City, Missouri.]

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 8, 1907
With the Angels
Mabel Bernice Arnold, the little daughter of Mrs. W. [illiam] A. [nderson] Robey, died at their home in Clayton township, on Tuesday, August 6th, age 1 year, 9 months and 4 days.
The funeral services were held at the home yesterday conducted by Rev. A. I. Jones. Interment at Lexington cemetery.
[Note: Her first name is spelled Mable on her headstone.]

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 12, 1942
LENOX – Atkins Baby Succumbs
Albert Allen, 3-month old son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Atkins of south of Lenox, died Tuesday with pneumonia.
Funeral services were held Thursday at the Arnold Funeral home. Burial was in the Lenox cemetery.
[Note: The name is spelled Albert Alan Atkin on the headstone which replaces a metal marker.]

Taylor County Republican (Bedford, Iowa), August 19, 1880
LENOX - Mr. Atkins, who lives just north of town lost a little child on Monday with the cholera infantum. It was buried on Tuesday. It was sick but a short time.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 3, 1902
From Friday Daily
Yesterday morning the infant child of Mr. an Mrs. Charles Atkins died, aged about two months. The funeral services were held at the residence this morning. Rev. E. N. Ware officiated.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 3, 1902
Two Months Old Child Dead
Thursday morning of last week the two months old child of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Atkins passed from this earth to its eternal home beyond the skies. Rev. Ware conducted the funeral exercises. Interment in Titus cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 13, 1908
Mrs. Henry Bates died suddenly of heart disease at her home on South Central Avenue at 12:40 Friday morning. The funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon, but the details are not yet announced.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 8, 1907
Has Joined the Great Majority
Ueda [Media] Bennett, wife of Bernard C. Bennett of Nashville, Kas., died Sunday morning in St. Joe, Mo.
Mrs. Bennett was formerly Miss Underwood, a daughter of Daniel Underwood, a longtime resident of Taylor county.
She was married to Mr. Bennett in Bedford, Dec. 31, 1889 [1888] and at once removed to Nashville where she has resided continuously until her untimely taking off. She leaves her husband and three children to lament her loss.
A quiet, placid, Christian soul, devoted to her family, has passed away and joined the great majority.
She was born in Bedford, June 12, 1865 and will be remembered by the older residents.
The funeral was from the home in Nashville on Tuesday of this week in the presence of practically all the people living in the vicinity.  J.
[Note: Taylor County, Iowa Marriages gives the marriage date as December 31, 1888.]

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Monday, March 14, 1910
Mrs. Stella M. [elissa] Boynton, aged 27, died at the home of her father, T. [homas] A.[llen] Allred, Twenty-fifth and Lake streets, Monday morning. The funeral will be held at the home of her father Tuesday at 2:30 and interment will be in the College View cemetery.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Tuesday, March 15, 1910
The funeral of Mrs. Stella M. [elissa] Boynton, the wife of C. [harles] E. [lmer] Boynton, was held at the home of her father, Thomas A. Allred, Twenty-fifth and Lake streets, Tuesday at 2:30 p. m. Interment was in the College View cemetery.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Tuesday, March 15, 1910
COLLEGE VIEW – Mrs. Stella A. Boynton whose funeral was held at the home in Lincoln on Tuesday, was a graduate of Union college. The Alumni Association contributed to the floral decoration and passed resolutions of condolence.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 21, 1910
Obituary – Stella M. [elissa] Allred Boynton was born in Rook county, Kansas, April 14, 1883 and died at her father's home in Lincoln, Nebraska, March 14, 1910, of consumption, in her 27th year.
In early life she gave her heart to the Lord and was faithful in bearing her testimony in the social meeting and in her home church she was known as "little sunshine." At the age of twelve she was baptised and united with the Seventh Day Adventist church at Ladoga, Iowa and since that time she has been a devoted Christian and an earnest worker in the Lord's vineyard. She was a graduate of Union college and a very successful church schoolteacher. She was united in marriage with C. E. Boynton July 31, 1905 and continued in church schoolwork as long as her health would permit. During her last illness she earnestly entreated each one in the family to be faithful to the Lord in all things, so that they would be prepared to meet her in a world that has no sorrow. She had no fear of death and fell asleep in Jesus, "looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of our great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ." She leaves a loving husband, father, mother, one sister, three brothers and a large circle of friends and relatives to mourn their loss. Elder R. F. Andrews assisted in the funeral services and words of comfort were spoken by the writer to a large number of relatives and friends from Rev. 21:4         J. S. Hart
The above refers to a young lady with many friends in Taylor county who will regret to learn of her death.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 25, 1908
Rev. A. P. Walton was called last Saturday to preach the funeral of the little child of Mr. and Mrs. Ervie Kade [Cade], north of Sharps, who died Thursday night after a continued illness. The funeral services were held from the Prairie Chapel Presbyterian church and interment was made in the Grove township cemetery.
[Note: The last name is spelled Cade on her headstone.]

[CADE, ETHEL, 1907 – 1908]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 25, 1908
SHARPSBURG – Rev. A. P. Walton was called to preach the funeral last Saturday of the little child of Mr. and Mrs. Ervie Kade [Cade]. The funeral services were held from the Prairie Chapel Presbyterian church and interment was made in the Grove Township cemetery.

Perry Daily Chief (Perry, Iowa), Sunday, November 6, 1904
Saturday evening shortly before six o'clock at the home near the round house occurred the death of Mrs. Allen Cannon. The lady who was quite old has been known for a long time as Grandma Cannon and for the past few weeks has been very poorly, and her death has been expected at any moment. The funeral will be at the house Monday afternoon.

Perry Daily Chief (Perry, Iowa), Tuesday, November 8, 1904
The funeral services of Mrs. Allen Cannon were held at the home in the north part of the city Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Collins of the M. E. church. Mr. Collins took for his text the passage from the ninth verse of the fourth chapter of Hebrews, which reads: "There remaineth a rest to the people of God." His remarks were very appropriate and were well spoken. A choir composed of Carrie Thayer, Mrs. Eugene Pierce, G. R. Melick and Charles Graves, furnished the music and the pall bearers were chosen from among friends of the family. The remains were interred in the city cemetery. Matilda Andrews was born in Knox county, Ohio, in 1831 and twelve years later removed to Illinois where she resided for some time. At the home in Knox county, Ill., she was united in marriage to Allen Cannon. They have made this place their home for a number of years and four of the seven children of the union are now living. She was a little past seventy-three years of age when she died, but her whole life was marked by deeds of kindness and the thoughts of these will ever be fresh in the memories of her friends.
[Note: The last name is spelled Canon on the family headstone.]

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1908
A Home Bereft
Celia Mae, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. [ohn] H. [enry] Clymens died at their home in southwest Bedford on Tuesday forenoon at 11 o'clock.
The little babe would have been two months old on the 8th of this month and was the only child. The parents have lived in Bedford only a few months and being comparatively among strangers, makes their anguish greater; the neighbors were kind and sympathetic as neighbors could be, but even their sympathy and kindness cannot bring the consolation that old friends and close relatives can give.
The funeral takes place today at the New Hope church, conducted by Elder Wm. Cobb. Interment at New Hope cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1908
An Infant Gone
At 10:50 Tuesday forenoon the angel of death appeared at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. [ohn] H. [enry] Clymens in this city and claimed for its own the only little cherub of their home, little Celia May, aged only two months. The funeral will be held from the church near their old home in Jackson township and burial will be at the Alison cemetery. This family has lived here but a short time, Mrs. Clymens being the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Williamson, prominent residents of Jackson township. Mr. Clymens had just secured employment in the Mutual Telephone office in this city. While the little one was only entering this life, she had wound herself so about the heartstrings of the parents that the cold hand of death has left an aching void in their hearts and an empty cradle in their home. The sympathy of all are extended to them in their sorrow.

Atlantic News-Telegraph (Atlantic, Iowa), Tuesday, July 25, 1922
Rev. J. D. Corbitt Has Sudden Death
Former Pastor of Cumberland Church of Christ Succumbs to Sudden Attack
Cumberland, Ia., July 25 – (Special to News-Telegraph) – Rev. J. [ames] D. Corbitt, former pastor of the Church of Christ here, passed away this afternoon at 2:30 at his home here, after an illness of but a few hours.
Rev. Corbitt recently had been suffering spells of dizziness and he was stricken with one of these about 10:30 this morning. He shortly lapsed into an unconscious state from which he did not again revive.
The deceased pastor is survived by his wife.
The funeral services will be held at 2:30 Thursday from the Christian church in Cumberland.

[DODGE, EBEN P., 1849 – 1907]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 19, 1907
Hon. J. P. Flick received a message yesterday from Gen. Francis Dodge at Washington, D. C., announcing the death of his brother, Col. Eben Dodge, from heart failure. He has visited his brother, Joe Dodge, several times here and has a number of friends who will be sorry to learn of his demise.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 11, 1908
SHARPSBURG - The funeral of Clyde Estelle Dunn at the M. E. church on Thursday of last week was largely attended. Rev. Giddens, pastor of the church, conducted the service and preached the sermon, assisted by Revs. Pratt and Welton. The deceased was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. King, formerly of this place but now of Ft. Morgan, Col. She was visiting her brother near Conway when taken down and later died, being 29 years, 2 months and 17 days old at the time of her death. She leaves, besides her parents, three brothers and a sister to mourn her loss.

Taylor County Republican (Bedford, Iowa), August 19, 1880
--A child of Mr. Riley Ferry, of Washington township, aged about eighteen months, died on Monday last.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 26, 1907
Theodore Fett of Clearfield died Thursday after a brief illness. Mr. Fett was one of the directors in the defunct Clearfield Bank and was called upon to make good his share of the losses. He was a man of strictest integrity, held in the highest esteem by all.

[FLYNN, FLORENCE, 1907 -1907]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 5, 1907
Florence, the six months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Flynn, died Friday evening at eight o'clock and was buried Sunday afternoon at Fairview cemetery. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. M. Dudley. The little one had been sick but a day or two, but its ailment baffled all medical skill and the little spirit took its flight. Mr. and Mrs. Flynn have the sympathy of all in their sorrow.

[FLYNN, FLORENCE, 1907 -1907]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 5, 1907
Back to the Angels
Florence, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Flynn, passed away Friday evening at 7 o'clock after a very brief illness. The little babe lacked eight days of being six months old. It was just at that age when to the loving father and mother the little life seems dearest, when to give it up was like taking all happiness and joy from those who love it, and in this the time of their anguish the deepest and most heartfelt sympathy goes out to those whose home is bereft and who mourn for the little girl that on this earth they will know no more.
The funeral services were held at the home on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock conducted by Rev. Dudley. Interment was made at Fairview.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 11, 1908
Mrs. Susan Gordon died at her home in Lenox Tuesday noon. The funeral services were held yesterday at 2 p. m. at Lenox. Deceased was the widow of Wm. Gordon, who died a number of years ago. Their home was formerly in Grove township. They were old settlers and were held in the highest esteem by all who knew them.

Adams County Union-Republican (Corning, Iowa), Saturday, June 13, 1908
BROOKS – Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Gordon and Mr. and Mrs. A. [lbert] W. Arthur went to Lenox Wednesday to attend the funeral of Mrs. Susan Gordon, an aunt of the two ladies.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 2, 1908
Death of Harry Gordon
Harry Gordon died Saturday morning at 8:30 at the Cottage hospital at Creston of appendicitis. The remains were shipped to Conway and from there taken to the home of his parents in Clayton township and on Sunday at 1:30 p. m. the funeral services were held at East Mission church, conducted by Rev. McMasters. Interment was made at Fairview. The obsequies were in charge of the Woodman lodge of Conway, of which order the deceased was a valued member.
Harry Gordon was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Gordon and a young man of excellent character and brightest promise. All who knew him honored and respected him and his death has brought sorrow deep and sincere to many hearts. He was born at Petersville, Mercer county, Ill., December 13, 1889 and in 1904 came with his parents to Taylor county where ever was his home.
For some time he had been ill with appendicitis and recently he was taken to the Cottage hospital where an operation could be performed, which it was hoped might restore him to health. The dread disease, however, had gained too great headway or else his physical condition was so weakened as to rob him of the strength necessary to resist the shock for the operation was in vain and death followed soon after.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 2, 1908
William Gordon, a well-known architect of St. Joseph, is visiting for a few days at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Gordon of Clayton township. Mr. Gordon was called here by the illness of his brother Harry and after the latter's death remained a few days to comfort the heart broken parents.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 2, 1908
Death of Harry Gordon
Harry Gordon, son of Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Gordon living east of Bedford, was born in Petersville, Ill., December 13, 1889 and died at Creston, Iowa, June 27, 1908, from appendicitis.
On December 22, 1894, he came to Taylor county, Iowa, with his parents and this has been since his home. As a young man he was honored and esteemed by all who knew him. He was industrious and ambitious. Honor and integrity had been instilled into his mind from infancy by noble parents, who had guided his footsteps aright. He was a source of great hope and comfort to his parents and brothers and his presence will be sadly missed in the family circle.
For some time, the deceased had been troubled with jaundice until a week ago symptoms of appendicitis made its appearance. His brother William came up from St. Joe and accompanied him to Creston on Friday. He was operated upon at Cottage Hospital, but the case was too far advanced, and he died at 8:30 Saturday morning.
The remains were brought to Conway Saturday afternoon and the funeral was held at East Mission church Sunday afternoon at 1:30, conducted by Rev. McMasters of the First Baptist church of Bedford. The burial was at Fairview cemetery, under the auspices of the M. W. A. of Conway, of which the deceased was a member.
He leaves a father and mother and three brothers, William, of St. Joe, Mo., and Earl and Roy of this county, to mourn his death. All the family, together with two uncles, Newton Collins, of St. Joe, Mo., and J. F. Retherford, of New Boston, Ill., were present at the funeral. All have the sympathy of the entire community in their bereavement.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 2, 1908
A funeral party including Mr. S. R. Gordon, of Conway, and Miss Maude Gordon, of Bedford, yesterday afternoon accompanied the remains of the late Harry Gordon back to his home at Bedford, the young man having died at this place yesterday morning, after an illness from appendicitis and gangrene. The deceased was but eighteen years of age and was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Gordon, of Bedford. The funeral services will be held at the latter point. –Sunday's Creston American.


[GRAFF, PETER, - 1907]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 12, 1907
Peter Graff Dead
On Thursday of last week Mr. John Graff received word that his brother, Peter, had passed away at his home at Savannah, Mo. and on Friday he left for that town. The funeral was held the following day.
Mr. Peter Graff first saw the light of day at Bingen-on-the-Rhine, Germany, in 1825. To escape service of the King, he came to this country in 1845. He stopped a year in Buffalo, N. Y., during which time he served as a cooper. In 1849 he came west and located in Andrew county, Missouri, where he has since lived. There he raised a family of five children, four of whom survive him, his wife having passed away some twenty years ago. All the children reside in Andrew county except one daughter living in Oklahoma.
While Mr. Graff had serious objections to serving a King he was anxious to serve for the cause of the Union in a free republic and during the war was a member of the Missouri State Militia, where he did his full share bravely to maintain the Union in a country that was not the most healthful at that time. He became a Christian and in 1867 united with the M. E. church and he was well known for his kindhearted actions and charitable deeds.
Aside from his four children he leaves three brothers, Henry of Andrew county, Val of Clarinda and John of Bedford.
He has often visited in Bedford, in fact nearly every year and has a number of friends here who will regret to learn of his death.

  Adams County Free Press (Corning, Iowa), Saturday, May 2, 1908
A very sad accident occurred at Guss about 8:30 on Thursday evening that resulted in the death of Mrs. John Groff, aged 23, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Olson of Jasper township. In the evening the lady had gone to Guss, two miles southwest from their mile, in company with L. Lane, who was employed by Mr. Groff, the husband remaining home with their 2-year-old baby. Mrs. Groff had done her trading and was ready to start home and was in the buggy, Mr. Lane going and untying the horses and as he started back to get in the buggy, they became frightened and whirled before the lady got hold of the lines. She jumped out, alighting on the back of her head, fracturing her skull, the injuries causing her death in about fifteen minutes. She never regained consciousness. The team had not been found the next morning. The lady was well known in the southern part of the county where she had long resided before her marriage about four years ago. Arrangements for the funeral have not been made but will probably be held some time tomorrow.
[Note: The same article was reprinted in the Bedford Free Press, May 7, 1908.]

Adams County Union-Republican (Corning, Iowa), Wednesday, May 6, 1908
Killed in Runaway
Mrs. John Groff Instantly Killed Thursday Evening at Guss
Friends and relatives were horrified last Thursday evening to learn of the sudden and terrible death of Mrs. John Groff, which occurred that evening at 8:30 at Guss. The family resides northeast of Guss and Mrs. Groff in company with the hired man, Leonard Lane, had gone to town to purchase the weekly supply of groceries. After the purchase had been made, they were preparing to return home when Mrs. Groff remembered that she had forgotten to get flour and asked Mr. Lane to step into the store and get a sack. He hadn't untied the team of ponies which they were driving and as he started into the store the team broke loose and started to run. Lane halloed to Mrs. Groff and asked if she had the lines, to which she replied that she had not, when he told her to jump. She made the leap which resulted in almost instant death, as she alighted upon her head, crushing the skull She only breathed a few times after friends reached her. Her husband was immediately summoned, and her body was taken to the home she had so lately quitted, full of life, health and happiness. The ponies had only run about 20 yards when Mrs. Groff jumped from the vehicle. They afterward ran two and a quarter miles, breaking a singletree and one tug and stopped upon a bridge without doing further damage to the rig.
The funeral was held at the Methodist church in Guss last Sunday morning at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. C. A. Carlson of Nodaway. Interment was made at the Guss cemetery.
Edith Oleson was born November 10, 1884, at Lynnville, Iowa, coming to this county a short time afterwards with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Oleson, where they located upon a farm in Jasper township, five miles south of Corning. Here she lived until September 30, 1904, when she was united in marriage to John Groff and went to her new home near Guss, where she was residing at the time of her death. One son, baby Harold, 2 years old, resulted from this union. Besides her parents, husband and little son, she leaves three sisters and one brother: Misses Vonie, Esther, Ada and Ernest Oleson. Mr. Groff's mother, Mrs. Kate Groff, will keep house for her son and assist in the rearing of the little son.

Adams County Union-Republican (Corning, Iowa), Wednesday, May 6, 1908
HOLT – It is with sorrow that we state the sad accident which occurred at Guss, last Thursday evening, when Mrs. John Groff met with death by jumping from a vehicle to which a runaway team was hitched. Mrs. Groff, who was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Olson, was born November 10, 1884, being 23 years, 5 months and 20 days old at the time of her death. She leaves a husband, one son, a father, mother, three sisters, one brother and a host of friends to mourn her departure. The funeral services were held at the M. E. church at Guss, Sunday at 11:00 o'clock, conducted by the pastor of the church. Her people have the sympathy of the entire community.

Bedford Times-Republican, Thursday, May 7, 1908
A Fatal Runaway
Mrs. John Groff Victim of a Runaway Accident at Guss
Last Thursday night a team belonging to John Groff run away at Guss and Mrs. Groff, who was in the wagon, was thrown out and so badly injured that she died within a few moments.
The Groffs live about two and a quarter miles northeast of Guss, and Mrs. Groff and the hired man had drove to town to do some trading. Details of the accident are wanting and all we are able to learn was that the team became frightened and run away, with fatal results.
Mrs. Groff was a young married woman and was the mother of one child about two years of age. She was highly esteemed in the neighborhood and her sad death cast a pall of sorrow all over the community where she was known.

Bedford Times-Republican, Thursday, January 8, 1925, p. 8
Jay L. Hall was born at Kirkwood, Illinois on the 4th day of March 1863, and departed this life at his home, 219 W. Main St., Clarinda, Iowa, on January 1st, 1925, having attained the age of 61 years, 8 months and 27 days.
A general condition of anemia resulting in several months illness prior to his decease was the direct cause of his death.
Under these trying conditions Mr. Hall sustained his usual cheerful disposition up until the time when he became unconscious on Tuesday evening preceding his death in which state he lingered until relief came in the guise of death at 8:30 o'clock Thursday evening.
The departed leaves to mourn his passing Mrs. Nettie Hall, wife and companion, four sons, Ralph of Louisburg, Mo., Leroy of Portland, Ore., Glen of Glenwood, Ia., Frank of Clarinda, Ia.; two daughters, Miss Helen Hall and Mrs. W. E. Vosburg of Clarinda. There remains also a brother and sister in Kirkwood, Ill.
The funeral service was conducted by Rev. Paul G. Luce, pastor-elect of the First Presbyterian Church of Bedford, Iowa, of which body the deceased was a member for twenty-eight years.
Interment was given in the Fairview Cemetery, Bedford, where a son of but five months of age was buried.
"Say not 'good night' but in some fairer land bid me 'good morning'."

Bedford Times-Press, Thursday, November 22, 1951, [p. 1]
Mrs. Jay L. Hall Died Here Monday
Mrs. Jay Hall, 88, died at the Armstrong Nursing Home in Bedford, Nov. 19 after a long illness.
Funeral services were held at the Wetmore Funeral home Tuesday afternoon conducted by Rev. Walter Schiel. Burial was in Fairview cemetery.
Nettie Elona, daughter of Frank and Emma Furr Carr, was born in Kirkwood, Ill., March 3, 1866. She was educated in the local schools and lived with her parents until she married Jay L. Hall on Nov. 27, 1884.
To them seven children were born, Ralph L. Hall, Elizabeth Hall, Leroy Boyd Hall, Glenn Carr Hall, Frank Jerry Hall, Helen Ruby Hall and Guy Truman Hall.
Mr. and Mrs. Hall came to Iowa with their family in 1893 and Mrs. Hall became a member of the First Presbyterian church here.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, two children, Guy Hall and Mrs. Elizabeth Vosburg.
Mrs. Hall made her home with her children in Clarinda and in California for more than 20 years before returning to Bedford a few years ago to again make her home. She is survived by five children and several grandchildren.

[HENSLEY, CHARLES, 1908 – 1908]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 30, 1908
Sickness and Death
Jake Hensley and family, who reside three and a half miles southeast of town, have been extremely unfortunate. A week or so ago Jake was taken ill and before he was able to be up his wife and four children were taken sick. Sunday, a babe was born to Mrs. Hensley but the little one came to this world only to tarry a short time and five hours after it opened its eyes its little soul took flight.
Mr. Hensley is up and around but is still far from well.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 19, 1907
A Good Woman Gone
Mrs. Maggie A. Leslie died at Blaine, Washington on Thursday, September 12, 1907, aged 77 years, 2 months and 20 days. The body was shipped to Bedford and arrived here yesterday afternoon. The funeral services were held today, beginning at 2:30 p. m. at the Presbyterian church conducted by Rev. Henry.
Maggie A. Payne was born June 22, 1827, near Montreal, Canada, and lived there until 15 years of age, when she moved to Little Falls, New York. It was at that place that she met and later married her husband, Captain James P. Leslie. No children were born to this union and the husband died more than 30 years ago.
After Mrs. Leslie and her husband left New York, they lived for a while at Alexandria, Virginia, and later at Elmwood, Illinois. Her husband died at Elmwood and she came to Bedford with the family of her niece, Mrs. Elizabeth Wilkinson, with whom she lived during the rest of her life.
She lived at Bedford 23 years, and about two years ago accompanied her niece to Washington, where she died. Besides the Wilkinson family her only living relatives are a niece in Michigan and a nephew in Rock Island.
During the time deceased resided at Bedford, Wilkinson's conducted the Elmwood hotel where "aunty" was always a familiar figure. To the regular patrons she was almost a mother, and all who knew her will feel sincere sorrow when they learn of her death. She was kind, affectionate and cheerful; having no children of her own, she lavished a mother's love on her friends, and they all felt for her a sincere regard that is usually given only to a mother.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 11, 1908
Only Child Is Taken
Verne Kenneth, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred L. [ee] McCormick, died at their home in Ross township Thursday evening at 8:30 o'clock, age 6 months and 8 days.
Little Verne was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. McCormick. He had never been very strong and in his weakness he grew even dearer to his parents' hearts than had he been strong and rugged. He filled their whole hearts and their loss is greater than any can know, save those only who have suffered the same bitter loss. The sympathy of all is with the grief-stricken parents but it is little friends can do to assuage their sorrow. Their only hope must be in Him whose love is greater than a mother's and to whose care their darling babe has been committed.
The funeral service was held at the home Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock conducted by Rev. Dudley. Interment at Bedford cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 11, 1908
Mr. and Mrs. Fred L. McCormick, living 6 miles southeast of town, were called upon Thursday to mourn the death of their infant son, Verne Kenneth. The little fellow was but five months and eight days old and had been suffering with a stomach trouble resulting in death. The funeral was held from the home Saturday, conducted by Rev. W. M. Dudley of the M. E. church and the interment was in Bedford cemetery.
Only those who have been called upon to pass through a loss of this kind know the keen pang of sorrow attendant. Nor do they appreciate to what extent these little treasures entwine themselves around the parental heart strings until called upon to give them up. The sorrowing parents have the sympathy of all.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 20, 1908
Word has just been received of the death of Robt. Meloy, a former resident of Taylor county, who died last Sunday at his home near Kidder, Missouri. The funeral was held at 10:30, Tuesday, conducted by Rev. Ray Beauchamp. Pneumonia was the cause of Mr. Meloy's death. He is survived by his widow and two children.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 10, 1907
Sarah Lewis was born near Danville, Ills., Feb. 22, 1842, died at La Clede, Mo., Sept. 27, 1907. She was married to Jessie [Jesse] Bivans Sep. 17, 1859, to this union were born five children, Mrs. J. E. Smith of Julesburg, Colo., J. [ohn] S. Bivans, Britton, Okla., Mrs. L. [eonard] J. [ay] Cutler, Bedford, Ia., Mrs. D.[avid] T. Smith, Brookfield, Mo., also ten grandchildren, one of whom, Mrs. Daisy Bothel, she was visiting at the time of her death, also one great grandchild and three stepchildren, all of whom were permitted to accompany her to her last resting place except Mrs. J. E. Smith and J. L. Bivans who did not receive word in time to be present. Jessie Bivans dying April 25, 1874, she was again married to Stanton J. [ames] Morris [Merriss], Sep. 10, 1879, who preceeded her to that better land where parting shall be no more.
She confessed her faith in her Master when quite young and was ever ready to do what she could for her Lord. She was a member of the M. E. church and also a member of the W. C. T. U. and was always interested in this grand work. She was laid to rest at Prairie City, Ill., cemetery to await the resurrection morn. The floral offerings were many and very beautiful. She leaves besides her children one brother and two sisters and a number of friends which were permitted to be present at the funeral held at Prairie City.
She is gone but will never be forgotten and some day we will meet her on the evergreen shore where no tears will be shed and no goodbyes said and where we may tell the story saved by grace.  "C"
[Note: The last name of her second husband is spelled Merriss on his headstone.]

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 5, 1907
Brief Life Ended
Claude, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. Elvin Morris, died Wednesday of last week, at their home in Gay township, age 6 months and 14 days.
Claude was one of a pair of the sweetest little twin boys that it is possible to imagine. He and his little brother Clyde came into the world on the 14th of last February. They were bright and hearty little chaps, so nearly alike that even their father could not tell them apart. Up to the last days of July their health continued good, but on the 28th of that month Claude was taken sick with that bane of babyhood, summer complaint. A week or so later Clyde was also taken sick. All that skillful physicians and loving care could do was done, but the fiat had gone forth—the grim Reaper had marked Claude for his own and no human aid could avail. For thirty-one days he suffered and then the end came, and his soul, pure and undefiled, was wafted back to Him whom but a short instant before had given it.
The funeral was held at the home on Thursday afternoon at 1:30 conducted by Rev. A. I. Jones and the little body was laid to rest in the beautiful Lexington cemetery.
The other little child Clyde is still in a critical condition. He has been sick now over a month, sometimes a little better, sometimes worse. Everything possible is being done and now nothing remains except to hope and pray that his little life may be spared to comfort the loving father and mother who are already nearly heart broken by the loss of their other little boy.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 21, 1954
Dale Morris Dies at Home in Pasadena, Texas, Saturday
Dale Morris, a former resident of Clarinda, died at Pasadena, Texas, Saturday, January 16. Mr. Morris graduated from Clarinda high school with the class of 1921. He was manager of the Clarinda Gas Service and also operated an appliance store before leaving Clarinda and going to Texas. He has been a resident of Pasadena for the past 15 [?] years. Services were conducted at Pasadena Monday, January 18. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Margaret Morris, his wife and two daughters, Marjorie Jean and Margaret Blanche. Mrs. W H Barrager of Clarinda is a cousin of the Morris's.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 21, 1954
OAK HILL, Jan. 19 – Mrs. Mark Young received the sad message of the death of her cousin, Dale Morris of Pasadena, Texas, who had a heart attack. Funeral services and burial were to be held there. He leaves an aged mother, Mrs. Maggie Morris and two daughters, Marjorie and Margaret. Mr. Morris was known to a number of people of this community, as he formerly lived at Gravity and Mrs. Morris and granddaughters have visited many times in the Young home. The relatives around here were unable to attend the funeral services but plan to make a trip down there sometime in the near future.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 21, 1954
GRAVITY, Jan. 18 -- Dale Morris Former Resident of Gravity Dies in Texas
Relatives received word Saturday Jan. 16 of the death of Dale Morris at Pasadena, Texas. He will be remembered by many friends from here, having lived here for a number of years. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Miles Morris, who lived in this community for a number of years. Funeral services will be at Pasadena, Texas.

Bedford Times-Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 21, 1945
Mrs. Ora Morris Dies
Mrs. Ora Morris, 52, a former resident of Bedford, died at her home in Los Angeles, California Friday, June 8. She is survived by her husband and four children, James C. Morris, Helen Morris, Katherine Davis and William Morris. Also, by three grandchildren.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 7, 1912
Elvon Morris Killed in Canada
Word was received here of the death of Elvon Morris in Canada Wednesday. No particulars aside from this have been learned. Mr. Morris had been living at Drinkwater, Canada for some time, but was here visiting recently, leaving a few weeks ago via Blockton with Walter Burks' goods for Canada. The message stated that he had been killed and this was all the information now obtainable, so it is presumed that his death was in some manner due to an accident. Mr. Morris had many friends in Taylor county who will regret extremely to hear this sad intelligence.
Later information indicates that Mr. Morris had been having some trouble with the revenue officers of Canada on account of payment of duty on some horses he took across the border with him without the payment of duty on them, they being taken as emigrant goods. It is reported here that in trouble following this he was shot. We give this as rumors so it cannot at this time be verified. The remains will arrive here Friday and interment will be in Lexington cemetery.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 7, 1912
W. E. Morris Meets Death in Canada
No Details Are Given in Telegram Received—Body Is Being Brought to This County.
Accompanied by Brother Mrs. Morris Remained here While Husband Took Load of Horses to Canadian Farm
W. [illiam] E. [lwin] Morris, who moved from here to Lang, Saskatchewan, Canada, a year ago, was killed there Tuesday, and his brother, Fred Morris, is bringing his body back to Taylor county. It is anticipated that Mr. Morris will arrive Friday.
No Details Given
No details of the misfortune of W. E. Morris are given in the telegram received, it being indicated that they would come in a letter that followed. Mr. Morris had only recently returned to Canada from here, taking back with him some horses.
Mrs. Morris remained at the home of her parents in Blockton, expecting to return to Canada later.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 14, 1912
Morris Death Is By His Own Hand
Remains Are Brought to Blockton By His Brother and Funeral Service Is Held
Many False Rumors Heard All His Difficulty Over Payment of Duty on Horses and Mules was Settled
W. E. Morris, whose death at Lang, Saskatchewan, Canada, was announced in the Times-Republican last week, committed suicide by placing the barrel of a shotgun in his mouth and pulling the trigger with a pitchfork. His remains were brought to Blockton Friday and funeral services were held there Saturday. Interment was in Lexington cemetery.
Innumerable rumors were in circulation before Fred Morris, the brother, arrived with the remains. Most of these were untrue.
False Rumors
The rumors were in connection with reported trouble with the revenue officers and the death of Mr. Morris.
Fred Morris states that while several head of horses and mules were shipped to Canada by W. E. Morris and taken through under the name of Clark Robey, who is in Canada, they were taken to their destination all right but Mr. Morris concluded that he better make known what he had done. The result was that he was assessed two and one-half times the regular duty, which in total amounted to more than $1,000. He raised part of the necessary money in Taylor county and part of it in Canada and paid the entire amount assessed.
Difficulty Entirely Settled
It is stated that he was told that he could be sent to a penal institution for fifteen years but that this was false, the maximum penalty being about two years. In fact, however, the officers were concerned more about obtaining the revenue due and the penalty was assessed in this manner.
Thus, the entire matter was settled, and Morris had money left when he returned to the home of his brother. His wife and children were at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Johnson in Blockton and while Mr. Morris was on his trip to Taylor county his stock was being cared for at the home of Fred Morris and that was where he went on his return to Canada.
Body Is Found
Tuesday morning W. E. Morris left the house and those who remained were playing with some pups which were barking and making considerable noise, which accounts for the fact that the discharge of the gun had not been heard. The family sat down to the morning meal and W. E. Morris had not returned. A hired man was sent out to call him and he hurriedly returned to the house with the information that Morris had shot himself.
Fred Morris states that he is of the opinion that his brother was mentally unbalanced and that he now believes he was not entirely right mentally when he made the trip back to Taylor county.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 14, 1912
Elvin Morris Dead
When we went to press last week the only information obtainable regarding the death of Elvin Morris was the plain statement of the fact that he had in some manner met his death. We gave this information in our last issue. Since then we have learned that Mr. Morris, in a fit of despondency, took his own life. His friends here are unanimous in the belief that the deed was done in a fit of mental aberration. He had shipped some horses across the line into Canada without payment of duty on them. After getting them home he gave himself up to the authorities, paid the duty and $1000 fine and was free from all trouble from that source. We give these facts on account of so many different rumors being afloat as to the manner in which the deed was done. He returned to his home and just before breakfast time took the shot gun and went back of the barn where he placed the muzzle of the gun in his mouth and with a pitch fork pressed the trigger.
The deceased was born July 7, 1877, in Taylor county, Iowa, near Bedford, where he spent most of his life. He was married to Miss Ora D. [ella] Johnson, March 18, 1903. To them were born five children, one dying when but six months old, he being one of twin boys. He moved with his family to Lang, Canada, about two years ago. He spent a part of the winter with his family and friends in this county, leaving for his home about three weeks ago. He died at the home of his brother, March 5th. He was a member of the K. P. and I. O. O. F. lodges of Bedford. He leaves to mourn his departure, a wife, four children, father, mother, two brothers and three sisters. The funeral services were held in Blockton, conducted by Dr. J. W. Neyman and a delegation from the Bedford lodges accompanied the remains to Lexington cemetery where they were interred. The bereaved have the sympathy of all.

[ORR, EVERETT, 1906 - 1908]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 21, 1908
Mrs. Lovitt received a telegram last Friday morning that her little grandson Everett Orr whose parents moved to Cedar, Minn. this spring, was in dying condition due to complications caused by a fall from a chair. Mrs. Lovitt went at once to the home of the bereaved parents and after attending the funeral returned to her home here.

[PACE, DANNIE, 1907 – 1907]
Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 28, 1907
On Monday evening the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Don Pace, residing in Jackson township, died from infantile trouble. The remains were brought through Bedford Wednesday morning en route to New Market for burial. The little fellow was only five months old. The grieving parents have the sympathy of all.

[PACE, DANNIE, 1907 – 1907]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 5, 1907
Died – At the home of his parents in Jackson township, on Monday, November 25, 1907, Dannie, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. D. W. Pace, aged five months and 11 days.
Little Dannie was a bright and lovable boy, the pride and joy of his parents' hearts, and from that home how sadly he will be missed. But their loss is heaven's gain and though the home is bereft and the hearts of loving friends are sad, they find consolation in the promises of him who said, "Suffer little children to come unto Me," and they know that Dannie is safe in the world where sickness and death do not come.
Our darling babe has left us—
    Gone to his home above,
There to await our coming,
    Safe in his Savior's love.
How sad and Loney is our home
    Since our darling one has gone;
But we know he is safe at home
    Where pain and death do never
So we will lay the little clothes
    And say "Thy will be done,"
And pray to meet our darling
    In his heavenly home.
All that was mortal of little Dannie was laid to rest in Memory cemetery. Short services were conducted by Rev. Pruitt, of New Market.
Why do you grieve, dear parents
After your darling little son?
He is not dead; he is asleep—
He is sleeping in the home among
    The blest.
Written by an aunt—Ida M. Drennen.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1908
A Former Taylor County Man
T. [heodore] D. Risser, for many years a well-known resident [of] Taylor county, died Thursday, at his home in Maryville, Mo.
The deceased came to this country about thirty-five years ago, and for nearly a quarter of a century his home was in Benton township near the A. B. Wakeman farm. Something over ten years ago he moved to Kansas where he remained a few years and then moved to Maryville where the remainder of his life was spent.
His death was due to blood poisoning, resulting from an operation made necessary by a carbuncle on his neck. He was sick only a short time.
Mr. Risser was a brother-in-law to Howard Hensley of this place, Mrs. Risser being Mr. Hensley's sister. He was 63 years of age and leaves to mourn him a wife and eight children, all of the children being of mature age.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, January 9, 1908
Death of Rev. Scott
W. [illiam] I. [rwin] Scott yesterday received the sad announcement of the death of his brother, Rev. Cassius Scott, who died at 4:15 a. m. Monday, January 6, at his home in Kent, Ohio. The funeral was held at 10 o'clock a. m. on Wednesday. Interment at Kent cemetery.
The deceased was about 50 years of age and the youngest brother of W. [illiam] I.[rwin] Scott. He was a minister of the gospel of the Methodist denomination and had been engaged in this work for many years. He was a man of rugged health usually but about a month ago was taken ill with stomach trouble and in spite of all that could be done he grew gradually worse until death ended his suffering.
W. I. Scott was prevented from being present at the funeral by the poor condition of his health.

Atlantic Evening News (Atlantic, Iowa), Monday, June 22, 1908
Obituary – The remains of Mrs. Sarah Corbitt Scott were laid to rest Tuesday in the Newton Grove cemetery beside the grave of her husband. Funeral services were held at Bethel chapel conducted by Rev. Coakwell of the Christian church at Lenox.
Mrs. Sarah Corbitt Scott died June 13, 1908, aged 74 years, 9 months. She was born near Belfast, Ireland, Aug. 13, 1833. On July 4th, 1853 she was united in marriage to John Corbitt of Oneida county, New York, where they resided until their removal to Cass county in 1875. There were born to them three children, of whom J. [ames] D. Corbitt of Sharpsburg and Mrs. Jerry Cornell of Lorah, survive her. One son died in infancy and the father on March 22, 1890. November 27, 1898, she was united in marriage to A. Z. Scott of Atlantic, who also died in November 1900. Since that time, she had made her home with her son, J. [ames] D. Corbitt at Sharpsburg.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 25, 1908
The funeral of Mrs. Corbett-Scott, mother of Rev. Corbett, pastor of the Christian church at Blue Grove, was conducted at the church at that place Monday June 15, at 10 a. m. by Rev. Coakwell, pastor of the Christian church at Lenox, assisted by Rev. A. P. Walton, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Sharpsburg. A large congregation of friends gathered for the service. The remains were taken [rest of sentence missing].

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 18, 1908
SHARPSBURG – The funeral of Mrs. Corbett-Scott, mother of Rev. Corbett, pastor of the Christian church at Blue Grove, died very suddenly last Saturday afternoon at the home of her son. A funeral service was held at the Blue Grove Church on Monday at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Coakwell, pastor of the Christian church at Lenox, assisted by Rev. A. P. Walton, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Sharpsburg. A large congregation of friends gathered at the church for the service. Immediately after the service the remains were taken to Lenox and from there to Cumberland, Ia., a former home, for interment.
[Note: The family name is spelled Corbitt on her headstone.]

Creston News Advertiser (Creston, Iowa), Wednesday, December 19, 1928
W. [illiam] I. [rwin] Scott died at 10:30 p. m. Tuesday at his home at 409 North Walnut street after a brief illness of two weeks. Funeral services will be held at the McGregor Brothers and Coens' funeral parlor at 10:20 a. m. Thursday, Dec. 20 and interment will be in the Clearfield cemetery.

Creston News Advertiser (Creston, Iowa), Friday, December 28, 1928
William Irwin Scott – William Irwin Scott was born near Uhrichsville, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, April 14, 1884 and died at his home at 409 North Walnut street, Creston, Dec. 18, 1928, having reached the age of 84 years, 8 months and four days. At the age of 5 years he moved with his parents to Morgan county and two years later to Vinton county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood.
At the age of 12 years he was converted and united with the Methodist Episcopal church with which denomination he had since been constantly affiliated.
On the twenty-second day of August 1862 he enlisted in Company K, 116th regiment, Ohio Volunteer infantry. Was later promoted from corporal to sergeant and transferred to Company I, 62nd regiment. Was honorably discharged Aug. 8, 1865, at Richmond, Va.
During his two years, 11 months and 16 days of service he engaged in 17 hard fought battles besides many skirmishes.
Returning to Ohio he was married Nov. 16, 1867, at Mineral City to Miss Ruth Griffith, who passed away in 1874, leaving one son and two daughters.
On March 2, 1876, he married Miss Mary A. [nn] Johnston. To this later union were born one son and three daughters.
In 1881 he moved to Iowa, living in Taylor, Ringgold and Union counties until the death of his wife in 1916, since which time he has lived with his children.
He leaves to mourn five children, Frank Scott of Council Bluffs, Mrs. Sadie Wallace of Benton, Thomas Scott of Bartlesville, Okla. and Mrs. Jennie Andrews and Mrs. Minnie Miller of this city. One sister, Mrs. William Johnston of Los Angeles. 21 grandchildren, 11 great grandchildren and a host of friends also survive.
Two daughters have preceded him in death, Mrs. F. A. Barchus of Kimpton, N. D. and Mrs. Della Holmes at Platte, S. D. All the living children were present at the funeral except Thomas of Oklahoma.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 3, 1907
Jessie Lewis Selway – A gloom was cast over the entire city yesterday afternoon by the announcement of the death of Mrs. Robert R. [oy] Selway. The fact of her illness was generally known, but her death came as a total surprise to the many friends of the family who had been led to hope for recovery. Her illness dates from the birth of the little daughter that came three months ago. Bright's disease developed and to this cause her death is assignable.
Jessie Selway was one of those rare women who confer a blessing upon the world by having been born into it and leaves the world better for having lived in it. She was beloved by every man, woman and child who ever came in contact with her. She was of a happy disposition and life was always good to her. Her charities, which were many and substantial, were conferred without ostentations. With becoming modesty, she hid from the world the good deeds she did, the help she gave to those less fortunate than herself. To those in the humbler walks of life she gave the same cordial treatment as she did those of exalted station.
Concerned in the active social life as she was her death will be sorely felt by a large circle. In her home life she was a model wife and mother and it has often been remarked by those who knew them best that if ever there has been a complete and happy union of two persons on this earth, the marriage of Robert Selway and Jessie Lewis was the example.
Jessie Lewis was born at Bedford, Iowa, December 4, 1874. She was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph H. Lewis. The family removed to Wyoming in 1893 and settled on a ranch on Little Goose creek, where they have resided ever since. She taught school at Arvada and Big Horn and was remarkably successful, displaying at that time the many excellent qualities that endeared her to the whole country in her later years.
On October 18, 1898, the marriage of Jessie Lewis to Robert R. Selway occurred in this city. The whole countryside rejoiced that two so excellent young people should unite their lives and destinies. The union has been all that was predicted by their well-wishers of that time. To them were born three children, Sophia aged seven, Robert aged four and the baby Georgia Mawalla, three months of age. These with the husband and father are left in an incomplete and desolate home.
Of the Lewis family there are the father, mother, two sisters, Mrs. W. H. Spear and Mrs. Louis J. O'Marr, and four brothers, Ralph, Harry, Charles and Robert.
The funeral will occur tomorrow, Wednesday morning, at 10:30 o'clock from the residence at Loucks and Thurmond streets, conducted by the Order of the Eastern Star, of which the deceased was a prominent member. Interment will be at Mount Hope cemetery.
The bereaved family have the universal sympathy of the community. – Sheridan (Wy.) Post.

[SHAW, JOSEPH, 1829 – 1907]
Atlantic Daily Telegraph (Atlantic, Iowa), Wednesday, July 17, 1907
Obituary – Joseph Shaw was born in New York, Oct. 8th, 1829. At eight years of age he moved to Illinois with his parents where he lived until the early '50s when he came to Cedar county, Iowa. Iowa has been his home ever since except five years he spent on the plains.
He lived in Cass county for 32 years, moving to Seattle, Wash. in Oct. 1906, where he died July 6th, 1907 after many months of suffering from cancer.
Rev. Carlyon formerly of Marne, held short services in Seattle after which the remains were brought to Marne where the funeral was held in the M. P. church, with which he had been identified, at 2:30, July 13th, after which interment was made in Brighton cemetery by the side of his wife who passed away Aug. 31st, 1906.
He was a member of the Masonic Order for about 50 years, the Marne lodge having charge of the services at the grave.
He was married to Emma Bailey May 5th, 1856 at Iowa City, Iowa.
Four children were born to them, Alonzo A. Shaw of Summer, Wash., and Louella A. Bills of Seattle, Wash., two children having died in infancy. He is also survived by one sister who lives in Oregon and one brother and sister in California.

[SHAW, JOSEPH, 1829 – 1907]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 18, 1907
David Bailey and son, I. J. Bailey, returned home Monday from Marney [Marne], Iowa, where they had gone to attend the funeral of the former's brother-in-law Joseph Shaw. The deceased passed away at Portland, Oregon after a long illness and the body was shipped to his old home in Marney [Marne], when the funeral services were held Saturday at 2:30 p. m.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 1, 1907
Mr. and Mrs. Scott Thompson were called to Wilcox, Mo., last week to attend the funeral of Mr. Thompson's sister, Mrs. Ada Shell who died July 15th and was buried on the 17th. The funeral was held at the M. E. church in Wilcox, conducted by the pastor, the deceased having been a member of that church for several years.
Mrs. Shell leaves to mourn her, her husband, two sons, three stepsons, four brothers and three sisters.
In her girlhood, Mrs. Shell resided near Villisca and finished her education at the Villisca schools and later taught school in that vicinity. Many of the older citizens will remember Mrs. Shell and all will sincerely regret her death but although she is gone her works and deeds are still with us.
"She has gone to wear the crown that was prepared for her and for all who dieth in the Lord."
(The above communication was inadvertently omitted from last week's issue.) – Ed.

[STEELE, EDWARD E., 1830 -1907]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 12, 1907
Death in Wisconsin
Word was received here today of the death of Edward Steele, eldest brother of Charles Steele, deceased, which occurred at his home in Sparta, Wisconsin, yesterday morning at 6 o'clock. Mr. Steele was a man 83 years old and had resided at Sparta for over fifty years. The funeral will occur tomorrow.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 5, 1907
Ezra Stephens Dead. Passed Away After Long Illness. For About Twenty Years was Manager of the Rand Lumber Company's Yard Here.
Ezra Stephens was born in Stephensburg, N. J., April 17, 1837 and died at his home in North Bedford, November 30, 1907, after an illness extending over a period of five years.
When the announcement was made Saturday that Mr. Stephens had passed away at six o'clock this evening, a general feeling of sorrow and personal loss was felt throughout the city. The one predominating remark was, "that is the last of an awful good man." And so it was so far as earthly relations go but all felt that it was but the beginning of a better and brighter life for him, for he was truly "good."
When but a boy Mr. Stephens moved with his parents from their New Jersey home to Geneva, Ill., where they located on a farm. There he grew to manhood and in 1861 was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Height. To that union one child, Kenneth E. [zra] was born and he has been the main strength and support of his mother during the last long illness of the deceased.
In 1870 Mr. and Mrs. Stephens came to Bedford in a covered wagon. They had started to Kansas, the western frontier, to hew out their fortune but their horses becoming tired and the roads being almost impassible, they decided to stop here to rest and the result was they never went farther. Mr. Stephens was first employed in driving a stage from Corning, Iowa, to Maryville, Mo., there being no railroads in this close vicinity. He filled various positions until he was finally selected as manager of the Rand Lumber Company's yard at Bedford. He was their faithful and trusted manager until the day he was stricken with paralysis which ultimately resulted in his death. The first stroke came as he was walking along the streets on May 27, 1902. While he has not been confined to his bed every day since, he has been practically helpless ever since, the disease growing more malignant each day, until the end came, and he was relieved of all suffering.
He was a member of the Masonic order, being also a Chapter member and has filled the various stations in that lodge in Bedford. Early in life he united with the Presbyterian church and he has since been a faithful member. Although of a quiet nature, opposed to all forms of an ostentatious character, he always had a cheery word and a kindly smile for all. To the needy his purse was always open, and he was always anxious to do good deeds in an unpretentious manner. He was a most kind and loving husband and indulgent father and in the home he will be sadly missed.
The funeral services were held from the home at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. S. E. Henry and interment was in the Fairview cemetery. The pall bearers were his old friends and were: Frank Dunning, J. P. Flick, W. F. Walker, Lee Corder, M. Miller and N. J. Levine.
To the sorrowing wife and son, the sympathy of the entire community is extended.
[Note:  Illinois Statewide Marriage Index gives the wedding date as March 29, 1863 in Kane County, Illinois.]

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 5, 1907
An Old Settler Gone
Ezra Stephens died at his home in North Bedford on Saturday, November 30th, age 70 years, 7 months and 13 days. The funeral services were held at the home on Monday, December 2nd, at 2 o'clock p. m., conducted by Rev. Henry. Interment at Fairview. Mr. Stephens was born April 17, 1837 near Stephensburg, New Jersey. While deceased was but a child, he moved with his parents to Geneva, Illinois, near which place and in Chicago he resided until 1870 when he moved to Bedford.
It was while residing at Geneva he wooed and won a bride in the person of Miss Elizabeth Hight. The marriage ceremony took place in 1863 and for over 40 years the couple lived together in peace and contentment. One child was born to this union, Kenneth, who is now recorder of Taylor county. The faithful companion of Mr. Stephens' life still survives, and her son lives in the north part of Bedford.
Mr. and Mrs. Stephens came to this county thirty-seven years ago, and ever after this was their home. He was a man of strictest integrity, faithful in friendship, accommodating and self-sacrificing. That he was a man worthy of all confidence is shown by the fact that for 19 years he was in the employ of one company. Although a man of rather retiring disposition, his business transactions brought him into contact with a great many people, and all who knew him honored, respected and admired him. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and was always a consistent, earnest Christian. Deceits, shams and ostentation all were distasteful to him. He was the same kind true hearted man in private life that he was to the outside world. Unassuming, conscientious, with compassion for the unfortunate, and without envy for those to whom had come great wealth or high honors, he did that duty that laid nearest at hand and did it well. His friends were many, his enemies few; the end of life brought him the consciousness of work well done and a long life well spent.

Long Beach Independent (Long Beach, California), Wednesday, April 1, 1959
TATE – Warren R., 80, of 2931 Mariquita St., died Monday. Mottell's & Peek Mortuary directing private service.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 21, 1908
Mrs. W. H. Cannon went to Hopkins Saturday to be present on Sunday at the funeral of her sister's little babe. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Thompson were the parents of the little child and it died at their home in St. Joseph. The father was formerly a resident of Hopkins and the mother used to live in Taylor county, so they brought their little babe back to the old home to lay its body away.

[WHITE, ANTHONY, 1846 – 1908]
Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 23, 1908
A private letter has just been received conveying the news of the death of Dr. Anthony White, which occurred at Excelsior Springs, Mo., Monday at 2:30 p. m. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock. No further particulars are known. Dr. White lived in Taylor county for nearly forty years. He first begun the practice of medicine at Blockton which was then known as Mormontown. When Clearfield was founded, he moved there, and that was his home until a short time ago when he moved to Excelsior Springs.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 2, 1908
Died at Des Moines
A. Wiley returned home Monday from Des Moines where he had been called by the fatal illness of his youngest brother, John M. Wiley.
Mr. Wiley received a message telling of his brother's illness and left for Des Moines on Thursday. When he arrived, his brother was rapidly sinking but was still able to recognize him. Soon after he became unconscious and early Friday morning he passed away.
The funeral was held Saturday and the remains were then taken to Warren county where interment was made in the cemetery near the old Wiley home.
Deceased grew to manhood in Warren county and later moved to Nodaway county Missouri where he lived for a long time but for four years past Des Moines has been his home.
He was taken sick in January with the grip and never fully recovered. His death was due to congestion of the lungs.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 2, 1908
An Old Settler Gone
John Beck is just in receipt of a letter telling of the death of N. [athaniel] V.[anhorn]  Willard, a former resident of Taylor county, which occurred at Fowler, Colo., June 20th.
Mr. Willard and Mr. Beck were boys together in Indiana, and after they grew to manhood with their families moved at the same time to Iowa, settling in Taylor county in 1869. After their arrival here their friendship still continued, and their intimacy did not cease until 8 or 10 years ago when Mr. Willard moved away.
The deceased lived for many years on a farm in this vicinity and later moved to Bedford. He was well known to all the older citizens as a man of sterling worth, unimpeached integrity and unsullied honor.
His death occurred at the home of his son, Ed, and another son, James, was with him when the final solution came. At the time of his death he was 86 years, 4 months and 28 days old.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1908
Mrs. Eliza Jane Wilson, an old pioneer, died in her chair at the home of a daughter at Libertyville. Mrs. Wilson arose in the morning seeming as well as ever and was seated in the chair and was wheeled out for her [?] in which she spent her day, when suddenly she had a heart attack and a few moments later expired.