Taylor County, Iowa History 1881 by Lyman Evans
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bedford township (con't)
MOHLER, L., retired farmer, Bedford, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, December 13th, 1813. When about twelve years of age his parents, Jno. A. and Catherine Mohler, moved to Richland county, Ohio, and in 1831 became residents of Morgan county, same State, and engaged in farming six years. He then went to Muskingum county, located at Zanesville, and engaged in the manufacture of furniture about two years, after which he embarked in the grocery and confectionery business for a time. Tried wholesale peddling for two years, then engaged in the marble and tombstone business; came to Taylor county in 1855, locating in Clayton township and tilled the soil for nearly a decade. Came to his present location in 1863 and has since made this city his home. Was married April 12th, 1837, to Miss Lucinda Pletchar of Morgan county, Ohio. She was born in 1819. They are the parents of fourteen children. Nine are living, Christopher C., Sarah Ann, Henry, Lucinda, George S., Charles M., Jno. F., William Alexander and Douglas C. Mr. Mohler has a farm of two hundred acres well improved with comfortable house, large barn, good orchard, and has ample means to enjoy the comforts of life during his declining years. His experience with the Indians when a pioneer, together with his connection with the development of Taylor county, will be found elsewhere. He and Mrs. Mohler are members of the Lutheran Church.
MOSER, Hon. R. A., Bedford, is one of the pioneer settlers of this county. He was born near Bethlehem, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, October 9, 1825. He there remained until his fifteenth year when he removed with his parents to Pike county, Ohio. In 1849 he was married in Scioto county of that State, to Miss Rebecca Reynolds. Having a strong desire to visit the West and believing that Iowa offered superior inducements to men of industry, he came to Wapello county in the spring (page 654) of 1850 and located near Eddyville. There he remained conducting a farm until 1852, when he moved to Marion county. In the autumn of 1854 he came to Taylor county and located near Lexington, where he purchased and improved a farm. In 1868 he commenced the mercantile business. Mr. M. has witnessed almost the entire growth of Taylor county, has filled many positions of public trust, always preserving the strictest integrity. At the election of 1859 he was chosen to represent his district in the legislature, and was reelected and served in the Eighth and Ninth General Assemblies. He has ever been closely identified with measures for public improvement. He aided materially in the construction of the railroad in this county, being associated with E. T. Smith in several grading contracts. In 1877, owing to physical disabilities, Mr. Moser retired from active life. Although afflicted physically he yet retains his intellectual powers, and has for several years given his attention to the literary field. He is now engaged in writing a novel which doubtless will possess rare literary merit. His family consists of five children: Dorus C., Elmer E., Ulysses Grant, Mary F., and Eddie Sherman.
McCONVILL, H. lumber merchant, Bedford, is an Eastern man; was born in New York City in 1843. When about ten years of age he went to Woolworth county, Wisconsin, thence to Fillmore county, Minnesota, where he resided until the breaking out of the war. In May, 1861, he enlisted in company C, Twelfth United States, regular army, and participated with his company in many of the hardest fought battles of the war, among which were the battles of Antietam, Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettsburg, Mine Run, Battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Laurel Hill, North-Anna, Bethesda Church etc. Was taken prisoner at Cold Harbor and was held in Libby, Andersonville and other prisons until near the close of hostilities in 1865. He was paroled, returned to his home in Fillmore county, Minnesota, and shortly after went to the pineries of Wisconsin, and engaged in the lumber business. He came to this county in the spring of 1871, established a lumber trade and is now doing an extensive business. In 1869 he took unto himself Miss Kate Riley of Fillmore county, Minnesota. This union has brought them four children. Mr. McConville has been eminently successful as a business man and now enjoys the comforts of an elegantly arranged home.
McCUTCHEON, E. G., teacher of music in the Bedford public schools, is a native of the Buckeye State, born in Adams county, December 25, 1847. While yet a child his parents moved to western Indiana, remained there about three years then moved to Illinois and settled in Mercer county. While there our subject engaged in farming and in the meantime received (page 655) a good common school education. In 1873 he engaged in the agricultural implement business at Mt. Ayr, Illinois, and continued in that line three years. Having a great desire to cultivate his musical talent he dropped all other considerations and gave his entire attention to music. He entered the Hawkeye Normal music school in 1876 and took a course in vocal music and culture, since which time he has made that science his study. He is now one of the instructors in our schools and purposes conducting a school in music in this city. That he is a success is evidenced by the fact that children in his training from ten to twelve years of age can read the most difficult pieces with ease and precision. He was married in 1868 to Miss Maggie A. Edie, a lady of moral and intellectual worth. They have three children: Howard, Mattie G., and Robert.
MYERS, JAMES H., lumberman, Bedford, a native of Pennsylvania, was ushered into this world July 4, 1836. He remained in his native State until fourteen years of age, when his parents came west and located in Iowa City, Johnson county. There our subject remained for some time then went to Dubuque and learned the blacksmith trade. He followed that business about five years, then engaged in steamboating on the Mississippi River, serving in the capacity of first and second mate. He remained in that employment thirteen or fourteen years, and came to Bedford in October, 1870, and has since been handling lumber.
MILLER, TONY, proprietor of O.K. barber shop and bath rooms, Bedford. Born in Germany, on the Danube, January 1, 1852. Emigrated with his parents to the United States while an infant, locating in New York City. His mother died three years later. The same year his father moved to Ohio, placing him in the family of a maternal uncle, where the subject was reared; received his education at the Greenville high school and State normal school of Ohio. After leaving school he engaged at teaching for a few years, subsequently traveled with a theatrical company for four seasons, afterward served an apprenticeship, learning the barber's trade, at Dayton, Ohio, came to Iowa in 1881, locating in the city of Bedford, and engaged at his present business, the O.K. barber shop and bath rooms. Tony is noted for his strict attention to business and gentlemanly treatment of his patrons.
PARKER, W. H., post-office, Bedford, entered this life October 27th, 1846, in a pioneer cabin in Clayton township, and was the first white child born in Taylor county. His youth was spent in acquiring the rudiments of an education and aiding his parent on the farm. Thus raised in a sparsely settled country he enjoyed the romance of pioneer life, and at the same time formed habits of industry and integrity, which insured him success (page 656) in life. When about sixteen years of age he engaged in the mercantile business being employed by Messrs. Patrick & Walker, with whom he remained one year. He then entered the establishment of Hess & Webb, for whom he served as salesman and book-keeper about three years. In 1868 he went to Poughkeepsie, New York, and attended Eastman's Commercial College during the seasons of 1868-70, graduating in the spring of the last named year. Returning to Bedford he accepted a position in the mercantile house of Richards & Thompson, remaining with them three years. He then embarked in business for himself in company with Wm. Bauchert, doing a successful business for about six years, when he was burned out and lost nearly his entire possessions. Not discouraged by this misfortune he commenced anew, with his former partner, and erected the brick building now occupied by Mr. Ross. In the spring of 1878 he disposed of his interests there and accepted a position in the mercantile house of Jacob Cole, which he has since efficiently filled. He was married in this county, September 24th, 1870, to Miss Mary C. Bauchert, a native of Hamilton county, Indiana. They have one child, Floyd. Mr. Parker now enjoys the comforts of a beautiful home, and has always been closely identified with the educational and religious interests of Taylor county.
RHOADS, J. P., homeopathic physician and druggist, was born in Highland county, Ohio, August 6th, 1850. Twenty years later he came to Taylor county and located at Bedford. When about eighteen years of age he began the study of medicine, and on his arrival at this city took up his studies with Dr. A. H. Vanvoorhies, with whom he continued to study until the fall of 1873, at which time he entered the Missouri Homeopathic Medical College, at St. Louis. In the spring of 1877, he entered a homeopathic college at Cincinnati, where he graduated and returned to Bedford. He then formed a partnership with his former preceptor, Dr. Vanvoorhies, with whom he practiced until 1880. He then engaged in the drug business, in which he still continues, and is doing an immense business. He carries one of the largest stocks of drugs, medicines, fancy goods, blank books and stationery in the county. He was married Jan 12, 1878, at Maryville, Missouri, to Miss Kate J. Works, a native of Illinois. They are the parents of two children.
RANDOLPH, Dr. W. F., Bedford, was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, December 8, 1833. When he was eleven years of age his parents moved to McHenry county, Illinois, where he worked on a farm, attending the Mount Morris schools; began the study of medicine in 1865; entered the Ruhr Medical College in 1868, and graduated with honors from that institution in the spring of 1870; came to Bedford in July of the last named (page 658) year and engaged at once in the practice of his profession. During his residence here he has enjoyed the full confidence of the people and has had a very extensive practice. Has held several offices since coming here: was coroner one term; in 1874 was elected mayor and filled that position efficiently five years; in 1880 was elected county surveyor, and is now discharging the duties of that office. He has the honor of contributing to the interests of agriculture, having invented and patented the "Randolph Header," a harvesting machine, used throughout the Northwest.
SWAP, W. E., silversmith and dealer in books, wall-paper, etc., Bedford; was born in Albany county, New York, November 12, 1834, and remained in his native State until seventeen years of age. He then went to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, where for five years he made his home. Came to Iowa in the fall of 1856, settled in Taylor county and engaged in the cabinet-making business with a brother who had located here two years previous. Enlisted May 12, 1862, in company K, Fourth Missouri State militia, for three years. After nine months fighting bushwhackers he was discharged on account of physical disabilities. He then returned to Taylor county, engaged in silversmithing, and has since followed that business. In 1865 he added a stock of books, wall-paper and stationery. Was married November 11th, 1856, to Miss Candice Wilkins, a native of Wisconsin. Of their children, six are living: Edgar, Belinda E., Carrie L., Melissa B., John and Carl. Two are deceased. Mr. S. carries a considerable stock of goods. He is also an excellent silversmith, and is worthy of the generous patronage which he receives.
SWEARINGEN, G. W., M. D., Bedford, was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, September 14, 1821. His early youth was spent in the pursuits of agriculture and attending the common school. When he had attained his sixteenth year, he began his studies with a view to the medical profession; and, when twenty-one, placed himself under the tutorship of Dr. Robertson and Carey, of Hanover, and remained in their care about three years. He then entered the Pennsylvania State University, at Philadelphia, and graduated with honor in the spring of 1874. He soon engaged in active practice, at Waynesboro, Stark county, Ohio, remaining there about two years. He next became a resident of Navarre, same county, where he pursued his professional labors about five years. Subject then returned to Hanover, his native town, where he enjoyed a large practice until coming to Bedford, in the spring of 1873. Since here, he built up an immense practice, and has gained the confidence and esteem of the people. He is always a welcome visitor in the sick-room, and is often called for consultation by other physicians. Mr. S. is the owner of two valuable farms, one (page 658) consisting of one hundred acres and another of one hundred and sixty acres, situated about three miles west of Bedford; also, a home of ten acres, with good buildings, in this city. He was married at Navarre, Stark county, Ohio, May 12, 1849, to Miss Matilda D. Chapman, a native of Virginia. They have eight children now living: Sarah, Anna Naomi, Rebecca, Hannah, Ruth Emma, William P., Richard Sherman, and Minnie Maud.
SMITH, R. E., constable and collecting agent, Bedford, born in Belmont county, Ohio, in October, 1850. While yet an infant, his parents came to this State, locating in Warren county. Remained there for a time, then moved to Dallas county, thence to Cedar county. Became a resident of Taylor county in 1873, locating in the city of Bedford. He engaged in the livery business two years. In 1876, he engaged in the butcher business and stock trade. Was married in January, 1876, to Miss Hulda Wilson, a native of Indiana. They are the parents of two children: Edna Pearl and Ion. Subject was first elected constable in 1878, and has since held that position. He makes a specialty of collections, and has the reputation of being very successful.
SMITH, W. E., Bedford, son of Elder James M. Smith, an eminent Baptist minister. Subject is a native of Shelby county, Indiana. Was ushered into this world, November 4, 1844. In 1854, he came with his parents to this county, locating on a farm in what is now known as section twenty-one, Benton township. Here he spent his days in attending school and assisting his parents on the farm. In 1862, he resolved to give his aid in putting down the rebellion, and in March, of that year, went to St. Joseph and enlisted in company G, Fourth Missouri cavalry, and served his county until the summer of 1866. During his service he was engaged in guerrilla warfare, and experienced many hard marches and hotly contested battles. At the close of the rebellion, in 1865, he was sent to the frontier, and was engaged in Indian warfare until May, 1866, when he was honorably discharged, at Leavenworth, Kansas. Returning to his home, he was married, December 12, 1867, to Miss Sarah Evans, daughter of Rev. John Evans, of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Baptist Church, and are both firm believers in the faith.
THOMPSON, J. M. merchant, Bedford. Subject was born in Macoupin county, Illinois, in October, 1833. His early youth was spent on a farm and attending the common schools. In 1859, he became a resident of Wapello county, Iowa, and there remained until the breaking out of the war. He then determined to aid the cause of the Union, and enlisted in company H, Thirty-sixth Iowa infantry. Was with General Steele in the campaign to the Tallahatchie River. Engaged at Fort Pemberton, then (page 659) returned to Helena, Arkansas, where his regiment met the army of General Price, which it defeated and pursued to Little Rock, Arkansas, where they went into winter quarters. In March, 1864, he joined a supply train and was taken prisoner at the battle of March Mills by a detachment of Price's army; was conveyed to Camden, thence to Shreveport, and afterward to Tyler, Texas, where he remained a prisoner of war for ten months. He was then exchanged and taken to New Orleans, received a furlough and returned to his home. Remaining a short time, he again joined his command at Duvall's Bluff, Arkansas, and served to the close of the war. During his services he was promoted from orderly sergeant to second lieutenant, and subsequently to first lieutenant. Was mustered out at Davenport in the fall of 1865, and went to Leon, Decatur county, where he engaged as a mercantile clerk until January 1, 1868. He then came to Bedford, purchased a half-interest in the mercantile establishment of S. Richards, remaining with him until 1875, when he became sole proprietor of the house and conducted the business alone. In 1876, he discontinued the business and retired for a time; but, in 1878, he commenced anew in his present quarters, where he occupies a handsome brick building, 22 x 82, and is doing an extensive business. He is also largely interested in real estate; possesses several well improved farms, which he is conducting. In 1865, he was married at Ottumwa, Iowa, to Miss M. Hedrick. Mr. T. has always been closely identified with the moral, educational and financial interests of Taylor county.
THOMPSON, O. B., proprietor of Bedford Flouring Mills, was born October 26, 1849, in Steuben county, New York. His early youth was spent in acquiring an education. In 1864, he started on a trip through the Western States. After roving over several, he returned to his former home and attended school about four years. He then came West, and engaged at keeping books for a firm at Muscatine, Iowa. Remaining there a short time, he went to Davenport and engaged in the same business. Came to Bedford in 1876, and, opening up a real estate and law office, dealt in "legal lore", and exercised the other duties pertaining to that office until engaging in his present occupation. He has now one of the finest mills in the State, built at a cost of twenty-three thousand dollars, and is doing a large and profitable business. Was married in 1875, to Miss M. Kulin, a lady of great culture and refinement, who makes home attractive and pleasant. They have one child, Roy B.
TERRILL, ASA, proprietor Pacific House, Bedford, Iowa, was born in Shelby county, Iowa, in 1855. When six years of age his parents moved to Nebraska; remained five years, then went to Worth county, Missouri (page 660). Received his education in the common schools. When sixteen years of age he engaged in a store at Platteville, this county, with Dr. Standley, and remained in his employ for some time. Had charge of a store at Redding, in Ringgold county, for a time, then went to Defiance, Missouri, where he engaged in the same business, and continued two years and returned to Platteville in 1879. He was married August 25, 1878, to Miss Ida M. Standley, daughter of Dr. J. R. Standley, of this county. They are the parents of one child, Maud A. May 24, 1880, Mr. Terrill took charge of the Pacific House, Bedford, since which time it has steadily grown in favor among the travelling public and is now one of the leading hotels of the State. Mr. T., although perhaps the youngest landlord in Iowa, is fast becoming one of the most popular, and is certainly worthy of the generous patronage which he receives.
TAYLOR, H. H., clerk of the Circuit and District courts, was born in Rocky Hill, Hartford county, Connecticut, October 20, 1833. There he remained, attending school and engaged in various pursuits until he attained man's estate. In 1854 he became a resident of Illinois, locating in Pike county. He was married August 14, 1857, to Miss Fannie C. Burgett, a native of Cape Girardeau county, Missouri. Returned to his native country and remained about eight years, then removed again to Illinois, this time locating in Knox county. He afterwards moved to Henry county, of that State, and in 1870 came to this county, locating in Marshall township. In 1879 he was appointed deputy sheriff, and in the fall of 1874 was elected county clerk and has since held that position. No better evidence of his integrity and efficiency as an officer could be adduced than the fact that he has performed his duty so satisfactorily that he has since been retained. Politically Mr. T. is a Republican and has adhered to his principles unswervingly since the war. He has always been closely identified with the interests of the county and has jealously labored for the promotion of every public enterprise. Subject now owns a quiet home and is in excellent circumstances. The family consists of nine children: Charles W., now married and a resident of Hopkins, Missouri; Ella S., Joseph B., Robert M., Jane E., Mary L., Kate, Nettie and H. H., Jr. Mr. Taylor has a fine farm and is engaged in farming with his official duties.
TURNER, JOB, deceased, was among the first settlers of this county. He was born in Hendricks county, Indiana, June 11, 1832, and there grew to manhood. Was married April 10, 1853, to Miss N. F. Stevens. In the autumn of 1855 he came to this county, entered 160 acres of land, and erected a small log cabin, in which he and his young wife endured for several years the privations of pioneer life. He died April 19, 1859, leaving (page 661) his widowed companion and one child to mourn his untimely death. Mr. Turner was a man of excellent character and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.
THOMAS, CHAS., of the firm of McCoun & Thomas, attorneys and counselors at law, Bedford, was born September 18, 1848, in Fayette county, Indiana. When about six years of age his parents moved to Hancock county, that State, thence to Marion county, where he remained until his ninth year. They afterwards removed to Hendricks county, where our subject attained man's estate. He married Miss S. A. Turner, of that county, July 25, 1870. She is a daughter of the late Job Turner, an old settler of this county, who came here in 1855 and died in 1859. Mr. Thomas came to Taylor county in the fall of 1870, and was engaged in farming for about seven years. In 1876 he was brought out as an independent candidate for the office of county clerk and came within a few votes of being elected. In the spring of 1878 he began the study of law with the firm of Whiffin & Brown, and was admitted to practice in February, 1880. In May of that year he became a partner of Mr. L. T. McCoun. The firm is now enjoying an immense practice and is meeting with deserved success.
VANFLEET, JOHN R., banker, Bedford, was born near Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, December 6, 1818. When about two years of age his parents moved to Lucas county, Ohio, where our subject grew to manhood and received his education. In September, 1839, he came to Iowa and at once engaged extensively in the real estate and brokerage business at Iowa City. He resided at that place until 1877, then came to Bedford and engaged in banking. He was married at Iowa City in the fall of 1848, to Miss Ellen Smith. They have four children living: Hattie, now Mrs. W. E. Crum, of Bedford; Ella V., wife of D. M. Henly, of Davenport; M. M. and Maud. Mr. VanFleet is a gentleman of broad culture and of great financial ability; is favorably known throughout banking circles as worthy the esteem and consideration of all. He is now doing a flourishing business, and with his happy family enjoys the quiet of a beautiful home.
VANVOORHIS, A. H., homeopathic physician and surgeon, Bedford, was born in Otsego county, New York, September 21, 1834. His youth was spent in attending school. When nineteen he commenced the study of medicine under the tutorship of Dr. Joseph Norman, a thorough graduate in the medical science, and pursued his studies for about three years. He then entered Castleton Medical College, of his native State. He had attended that institution but a few months, when he was taken sick and returned to his home. In the spring of 1857 he came west, locating in La Salle county, Illinois, where he was married, in 1859, to Miss Mary Ellen Macy. (page 662) In February, 1861, Mrs. V. died, leaving one child, Lora Ellen, who is now attending the State University of Kansas. In 1864 the doctor entered Hahnemann Homeopathic Medical College, Chicago, which he attended two sessions, graduating in the spring of 1866. He then went to Columbus, Missouri, and in 1870 came to Bedford. During his residence here the doctor has had remarkable success in his practice and has conclusively proven that the homeopathic system has merits not to be ignored.
VANSICKLE, Capt. A. B., farmer, post-office Bedford, was born in Fayette county, Ind., November 19, 1828. When about five years of age he moved with his parents to Edgar county, Illinois, where his days were spent on a farm and in attending school. He came to Iowa in 1855, and on November 22, of that year, arrived at Bedford. He engaged in farming, which he followed until 1862, when he enlisted in company G, Fourth Missouri State militia cavalry. Soon after enlistment he was elected first lieutenant, and in December of that year was promoted and commissioned captain of his company. His command was engaged in scouting and frontier duty in Missouri and Arkansas, principally. He participated in many hotly contested struggles, among which were the battles of Springfield, Jefferson City, Big Blue, Little Blue and Independence. He was sent after Price into Arkansas, and braved the hazards of fatiguing marches and guerrillas' stealth. He received a severe gunshot wound at the battle of Big Blue, and after remaining in field hospital nearly four months, resigned his commission and returned to his home in Edgar county, Illinois. For many months after his discharge he remained in a prostrate condition, owing to the severity of his wound. Recovering to some extent he engaged in the mercantile business and farming, which he continued until his return to this county in September, 1875. He purchased a farm in Benton township, adjoining town, and tilled the soil three years, then engaged in the grocery business at this place, in which he continues, having been associated with Mr. M. L. Long since October, 1880. The firm is now doing an extensive business. Mr. V. was first married in Edgar county, Illinois, to Miss Amanda Huffman, in the year 1854. Mrs. Vansickle died in 1873, leaving four children. The captain was again married to Miss Kate Butler, a native of the Empire State, on October 5, 1873. Thus we have noticed the life of one who is eminently worthy of our mention, having been closely identified with the interests of this county and who dared during the hours of our country's peril to forsake home and support the Union cause.
VAN OLINDA, F. W., dealer in groceries, glass and queensware, cutlery, etc., Bedford, a native of New York, was born in Troy, December 25th, 1849. When three years old, he came west with his parents, and settled in DeKalb county, Illinois, on a farm. There our subject grew to maturity, and attended the common schools. At the age of seventeen he returned to the city of his birth, and entered the grammar school, which he attended two years. When twenty-one he again came west and engaged in the grocery business at Plainfield, Illinois, and remained in that city four years. Subject then gave up mercantile pursuits for a time and traveled through the Western States. He came to Bedford in 1878 and again engaged in the grocery business. He now has, perhaps, the largest stock in his line of any house in the city, and has an immense trade. He was married February 11, 1872, to Miss Mary A. ____, of Sandwich, Illinois, a lady of culture, who makes his a pleasant home. They have one child, Maud E. Mr. V. is an energetic man, of excellent business qualifications, and is worthy of the encouragement he receives.
WEBB. W. A., stock-buyer and shipper, post-office Bedford, a native of Kentucky, was born December 22, 1822. When eleven years of age his parents moved to the Hoosier State, where our subject arrived at man's estate, and received a liberal education. In 1852 he removed to Coles county, Illinois, and made that his home about one year. He then came to Iowa, settling in Davis county, and remained there about two years. He then came to Taylor county, and has since remained. He has been engaged in stock-shipping for the last twenty years. In 1864-5 he had quite a distance to drive his stock. At one time he drove sixteen hundred cattle to Ottumwa. He now ships over one hundred cars per year. He was also engaged in the mercantile business for several years. He owns a fine farm of one hundred acres in Ross township. He was married in Indiana, October 3, 1940, to Miss Martha Goodwin, a native of Ohio. Of their children five are now living: William S. S., Sarah E., Belle, Lydia E., and Melvin C. Five are deceased: John H., Alexander W., Samuel G., Charles H. and Ida May. Mr. Webb is a gentleman of good business qualification, is a member of the Christian Church, and a worthy citizen.
WILKINS, WILLIAM, recorder of Taylor county, was born in Wisconsin, July 14, 1845. When about three years of age his parents came to Taylor county, and here our subject was raised, and educated in the schools of Bedford. At thirteen he commenced the printer's trade, which he followed until the breaking out of the rebellion. He then enlisted in the Missouri State militia, in which he served three months, and August 09, 1862, enlisted in company F, twenty-ninth Iowa infantry volunteers (page 664) and served three years. He participated in the battles of Helena, Little Rock and Camden; was in the engagements at Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely; also, at the capture of Mobile. Was mustered out August 8, 1865, at Davenport, since which time he has been engaged at printing in various places in Iowa, Missouri and Kansas. In the fall of 1880, he was elected recorder of this county and has since filled that position to the satisfaction of all. Was married October 14, 1866, to Miss Clara J. Snow, a lady of intelligence and high social standing. They have three children, two sons and one daughter. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
WALKER, L. A., Bedford, a native of Ohio, was born in Bellville, Richland county, May 25, 1853. When about three years old, his parents came to Iowa and located where now stands the city of Bedford. Here our subject spent his days in attending school. He finished his education in the Bryant Business College, at St. Joseph, Missouri, where he graduated with honors in the spring of 1873. He then devoted his time to teaching school, until engaging in his present business. He now carries a large stock of light and heavy harness, and in fact everything belonging to his line. As a workman, Mr. Walker has gained an enviable reputation. His place of business in on Water Street. Mr. Walker has always been closely identified with the growth and development of Bedford, and has gained the esteem of the people and is numbered among her most successful citizens. He was married May 28, 1879, to Miss S. E. Brown. They have one child, Leroy B.
WALKER, W. F., merchant, Bedford. Among the many pioneers of Taylor county who have been identified with its growth and development, no one is worthy of more special notice than Mr. Walker. He was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1837, and there remained until his nineteenth year. His early youth was spent in acquiring an education and learning the tinner's trade, at which his father was engaged. In September, 1856, he went to Minnesota, locating near Red Wing, at a place called Central Point, and there remained two years working at his trade. He then came to Bedford and commenced business while it was yet a mere trading-post and presented few promising features, but recognizing its many natural advantages he determined to make it his home and lend his efforts in its upbuilding. He embarked in the tinware business with R. H. Patrick, with whom he continued until the close of the rebellion. He then purchased his partner's interest and conducted the business by himself for some time. Subsequently, he moved to Kansas and remained about one year and a half, then to Hopkins, Missouri, where he was appointed assistant cashier in the Hopkins Bank, such position he filled efficiently until 1880; he then returned to Bedford and resumed his former tin trade, and has since been closely identified with the development of this county and town. In 1862 he was united in marriage to Miss Hannah B. Snow, a native of Pennsylvania. From this union are the two children living: Edwin Bruce and Carrie Edith; three are deceased. During his residence here he has held many positions of trust, was the first recorder of the city of Bedford, was appointed to fill the office of county treasurer during a vacancy, has been mayor of the city, and has also filled the office of county auditor one term. Mr. Walker has always enjoyed the full confidence of all who know him.
WALKER, F. E., hardware and lumber merchant, Bedford. Mr. Walker, a native of the Buckeye State, was born in Richland county, January 17, 1841. In the summer of 1858 he came to Bedford and engaged in the mercantile business, in which he has since continued. August 9, 1862, he enlisted in company F, Twenty-ninth Iowa infantry, and was with the company in the battle of Helena, Arkansas, Jenkin's Ferry, Spanish Fort, and in other minor engagements. He served as quartermaster-sergeant during a part of his service; was mustered out in the fall of 1865, and engaged in the banking business in which he continued about four years. He is now extensively engaged in the real estate, hardware and lumber business and is numbered among the most substantial business men of Bedford.