Taylor County, Iowa History 1881 by Lyman Evans
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: firstname.lastname@example.org)
BEAN, J. N., physician and surgeon, Bedford. Prominent among the medical fraternity of this county is Mr. B. He is a native of the Pine Tree State. Was born December 5, 1832. When eleven years of age he moved to Mercer county, Illinois. When about eighteen he began the study of medicine under Dr. W. Dudley, of that county. In 1853, he returned to his native State and attended Maine Medical College during the sessions of 1853-4. In the spring of the last named year he returned to Illinois and resumed his studies under the direction of Dr. Henry Averill, remaining under his care until the spring of 1856. He then came to Iowa and located in Henry county, when he commenced his professional labors. In September, 1858, he came to Taylor county, Iowa, and has since continued to administer to the afflicted in this county. During the early years of his practice here he was often called to adjoining counties, and frequently into Missouri. Many of the pioneer settlers were objects of his philanthropy. He has always been a welcome visitor to the sick room, and commands the respect of his co-laborers. He was married in 1854, to Miss Abigal E. White, of Mercer county, Illinois. They are the happy parents of eleven children, all living: Carlyle, Maud, now Mrs. D. C. Devin, of Dallas county, Iowa, Sarah, Alice, wife of H. F. Reynolds, of Woodhull, Illinois, Jno E., Charles, William, Frank, Joshua, Abbie, Loice, and May. The doctor is also engaged in agricultural pursuits. He owns a valuable farm of well improved land, adorned with comfortable buildings, which possess all the requisites of a beautiful home. He is a thoroughly self-made man, having been a poor boy, and has gained all by his indomitable energy and perseverance.
BROWN, H. S., harness-dealer, Bedford, was born in Licking county, Ohio, December 14, 1844. During childhood his parents became residents of Knox county, that State. When nine years of age his parents moved to Henry county, Iowa, where he tilled the soil and attended school. At eighteen he commenced the harness-making trade, and followed that business as a journeyman until 1870. He then came to Iowa and engaged with J. D. Morris for a time. In July, 1871, he purchased his employer's interest and conducted a successful business for himself until the spring of 1873. He then moved to Ross township, this county, and farmed four years, after which he returned to Bedford and once more took up his trade. He is now doing a large business, having obtained an enviable reputation as a workman. He also has a valuable farm of 146 acres in Ross township. Was married in this county, November 8, 1874, to Miss Mary R. Cox, a native of North Carolina.
CONNETT, Capt. M. C., physician and surgeon, Bedford, born in Madison, Indiana, October 13, 1837. At the age of eighteen he began the study of medicine with Dr. E. H. Weir, a successful physician of Madison. In the fall of 1856, he entered the Cincinnati Medical College, and pursued his studies during the sessions of 1856-7 and 1857-8, graduating in the spring of 1858. He then went to Greensburgh, Ind., and practiced until the breaking out of the war. April 21st, 1861, he enlisted in the Seventh Indiana infantry, for three months. In September of same year he organized a company - was appointed captain and was assigned to the Thirty-seventh Indiana infantry, as company E. He received seven wounds at the battle of Athens, Ga., and was finally captured while yet on the field, and was kept about six weeks, when he was exchanged. Owing to his prostration from wounds, he was sent home and remained about two months, when he returned to the front and joined his command at Nashville, Tenn. After the battle of Stone River, he was physically disabled, rendering him unfit for service. He was then appointed assistant surgeon for the Eighth Indiana cavalry, which position he filled until honorably discharged, September, 1865. He then came to Bedford, and has since made it his home. The doctor has now a large and successful practice, and is often called for consultation by his contemporaries. In 1867 he was elected coroner and filled that place for twelve years. He has also filled the office of sheriff two terms. Subject was married at Wilford, Ohio, in 1858 to Miss Eliza Jane Qual. She died in 1872, leaving three children: Ida M., Albert F., and Nell. In 1872 he was again married, Miss Ursula J. Avery, of Troy, N.Y., becoming his wife. He is now happily situated, and has ample means to enjoy the many pleasures of life.
CONNETT, A. H., physician and surgeon, Bedford. This representative of the "healing art" is a native of Clermont county, Ohio, and was born December 30, 1848. When about two years of age his parents became residents of Madison, Indiana, where our subject remained until his nineteenth year. He then came to Iowa and located at Bedford and commenced the study of medicine with his brother, Dr. M. C. Connett. In the fall of 1875 he entered Rush Medical College, of Chicago, but graduated in the spring of 1878 from Keokuk Medical College, Keokuk, Iowa. Mr. Connett was married March 14th, 1878, to Miss Harriett A. Fosdyce, a native of Pennsylvania. This union has brought them two children: Bessie and Mary. The doctor is a man of strict integrity and is acquiring an enviable reputation as a practitioner.
COMBS, LAFE, postmaster, Bedford, was born in Athens, Ohio, November 24th, 1856. In 1865 he came to Iowa and located in Ringgold county, where he resided until 1868, when he came to Bedford. He was married in Kirksville, Missouri, October 21, 1878, to Miss Addie Wilson, a lady of varied accomplishments. Mr. Combs was appointed postmaster November 14, 1877, and took charge of the office January 1 following, and since that time has filled the position with credit and to the entire satisfaction of all.
CRUM, W. E., attorney and banker, Bedford, was born January 22, 1845, in Johnson county, Iowa. His youth was spent in acquiring a classical education with a view to the legal profession. When about twenty-one years of age he entered the State University, at Iowa City, and graduated from the law department in the spring of 1868. After practicing about one year he came to Bedford and has since made it his home. In 1870 was married in Iowa City to Miss Hattie, daughter of Jno. R. Van Fleet, a lady of great culture and refinement. From this union came four children: Jno. V., Mary L., William E. and Helen. Mr. Crum is now enjoying a large practice in the District and Circuit Courts, and has won an enviable reputation as an attorney. He is associated with his father-in-law, Mr. J. R. Van Fleet, in the banking business, with Mr. Haddock in the law and collection business, and with F. E. Walker in an extensive lumber business. He is possessed of ample means to enjoy every comfort of life, and is now confining himself to the study and practice of his profession.
DeLONG, G. E., sheriff of Taylor county, was born in Zanesville, O., May 21, 1843. When fourteen years of age his parents moved to Iowa, locating in Henry county, where our subject spent his youth in working on the farm and attending the common schools. Although yet a boy at the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in company K, Sixth Iowa infantry and served with distinction until the close of the war. Was taken prisoner at the battle of Shiloh, conveyed to Montgomery, Alabama, thence to Macon, Georgia, and after a confinement of about seven months in the "Rebel Hell" at that place, was paroled, and joined his command at Memphis, Tennessee. Participated in the siege and capture of Vicksburg, battles of Missionary Ridge, Jackson, Mississippi, and all the engagements of the Atlanta campaign. Was promoted to the position of sergeant during his service and was mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, in the fall of 1865. After remaining a sort time at his former home he came to Taylor county, purchased a farm in Dallas township, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. At the general election of 1878 he was chosen sheriff, which position he has since held and has proven a competent and trustworthy officer. Mr. D. was married at Hawleyville, Page county, in 1867, to Miss Mary E. Burge, a native of this State. Of their children five are now living: Mary Elizabeth, Matilda Converse, Guilbert E., William Daniel and James Clyde. Our subject owns a farm of two hundred acres, which is well improved and possesses all the requisites of a comfortable home. Personally Mr. DeLong is a man of more than ordinary intelligence, careful, energetic and thoroughly awake to the interests of Taylor county.
DUNLAVY, LEVI, lawyer, Bedford. He was born in Putnam county, Indiana, June 23, 1843. In 1848 his parents moved to Iowa, locating in Davis county. Here he attended school. His father, William Dunlavy, was a minister of the Christian denomination and a gentleman of exemplary life and active in ministerial duties. When the war broke out Levi enlisted in his country's service. His regiment was the Thirteenth Iowa and his company, B. He was in the battles of Arkansas Post, Chickasaw Bayou and Vicksburg. In 1863 he contracted an illness, and in one year and a few months was honorably discharged because of disability. In 1865 he entered Oskaloosa College and was a student there until the following spring. Afterward he taught school and served his country as an insurance agent. Having passed some time in the study of law, in 1872 he was admitted to the bar. In 1875 he came to Bedford and is now a partner of Hon. J. P. Flick, in the practice of his profession.
EVANS, LYMAN, attorney at law, Bedford. Is a native of the Hawkeye State, born in DeWitt, Clinton county, September 1, 1847, where he (page 640) remained until sixteen years of age. He then entered the State University at Iowa City. Attended college two years and then commenced the study of law with Judge Palley, of Detroit, with whom he remained for three years. Was admitted to the bar in Clinton county in 1870, and was at once chosen to the position of assistant superintendent of the Orphans' Home at Cedar Falls. Came to Bedford in 1872 and commenced the practice of his profession. On Christmas Day, 1872, Miss Mary A. Wallace, of Monmouth, Illinois, became his bride. She is a native of the Buckeye State. They have two children, Helen and Wallace. Mr. Evans, though a young man, has been eminently successful in his practice; has, by strict integrity and attention to business, gained not only an enviable reputation as a lawyer, but the entire confidence of the people, and will, doubtless, if there be no preventing misfortune, become one of the leading lights of the Iowa bar.
EVANS, W. F., editor and treasurer of Bedford Argus. Among the many enterprising business men of Taylor county none have been more closely identified with its interests than the subject of this sketch. Mr. E., a son of Rev. John Evans, was born in Fountain county, Indiana, April 25, 1840. His youth was spent in attending school and aiding his parents on the farm. When fifteen, he came with his parents to Taylor county, and for seven years engaged in agricultural pursuits. At the breaking out of the war Mr. Evans became an earnest sympathizer with the Union cause, and in the spring of 1862 determined to aid in the defense of its principles. He accordingly enlisted in company F, Twenty-eighth Iowa infantry, was promoted to second lieutenant, and subsequently to captain of the company. He participated in the battles of Helena, Arkansas, battle of the second of April, Jenkin's Ferry, Spanish Fort and many other hotly contested engagements; was discharged August 10, 1865, and returned to his home in this county and once more engaged in tilling the soil. In 1873 he was elected county auditor on the Anti-monopoly ticket, and filled that position for six years, and proved himself a competent and acceptable officer. In March, 1880, he was elected by stockholders of the Argus printing and publishing company to the position of treasurer, and in the summer of 1881 to the editorship of the paper. Mr. Evans has won the favor of the reading public, being a faultless writer and always giving expression to his honest convictions. Politically he is a Republican, and being an indefatigable worker is an honest advocate of its principles. He was married February 14, 1862, to Miss Amanda Lewis, a native of Indiana. They are the parents of three children, living: Charles Ira, Omer E. and Arthur B.
EVANS, Rev. JOHN, residence, Bedford. Born in Augusta county, Virginia, December 27, 1816. At an early age he left the Old Dominion (page 641) and became a resident of Fountain county, Indiana. There he resided until 1856, when he came west and settled in Taylor county on a farm, in what is now known as Benton township. During the early years of his life Mr. Evans became converted to the Baptist faith, and has long been an earnest worker in the vineyard of the Lord. During the times of the rebellion he was much interested in divine labors and looking to the protection and comfort of many families that were then in a deplorable condition. But during these dark hours a sad affliction fell to his lot. On February 14, 1864, his beloved wife breathed her last and her pure spirit winged its heavenly flight. The sad affliction was borne with a fortitude such as only Christians can realize. They had shared each other's pleasures and sorrows for a quarter of a century. From their union nine children are living. He was again married February 5, 1865, this time to Miss Anna M. Probst, a native of Virginia, and a lady of excellent qualities. Mr. Evans has take a great interest in educating his children and fitting them for the higher walks of life. He has also been an active worker in the cause of temperance, and has done much to abate the evils of drunkenness. By industry and careful management he has succeeded in accumulating ample means to enable him to enjoy the comforts of life. He is still in possession of a valuable farm of three hundred and twenty acres, besides some valuable city property, and has given to each of his sons eighty acres of land - to a daughter forty acres.
EVANS, JESSE J., merchant, Bedford, is a son of Rev. John K. Evans, and was born in Fountain county, Indiana, March 23, 1844. In 1856 he came with his parents to this county, where he remained until the late civil war. He then enlisted in company G, Fourth Missouri cavalry; was through all the campaigns in which his company was engaged. Was mustered out at St. Louis, in 1865. Three years later he was married to Miss Clara E. Bray, who died the following year. In October, 1872, he was again married, Miss Clara J. Creek becoming his bride. Their union brought them three children, Mary, Harry and Ruth. Mr. Evans is now extensively engaged in grocery and produce business, and is numbered among our most substantial business men.
FLICK, Hon. J. P., district attorney, residence Bedford, is a native of the Keystone State, and was born in Allegheny county, August 28, 1845. When seven years of age his parents moved to Iowa, locating on a farm in Wapello county, near Ottumwa. In the spring of 1857 they came to Taylor county and settled near Platteville, where our subject remained until the spring of 1862. At the breaking out of the rebellion he became an earnest advocate of the Union cause, and with a patriotic zeal, characteristic of his (page 642) ancestors, he enlisted April 3, 1862, in company K, Forty-fifth Iowa infantry, and served his country faithfully until the close of the war. Although but a boy he endured the hardships of war for upwards of three years with great courage and fortitude. He was with his company in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Jackson, Miss., Vicksburg, Ringgold, Ga., and all the engagements of the Atlanta campaign. Soon after his return home he devoted his entire attention to the study of law, at which profession he has since continued. In 1868 he was elected county recorder and filled that office two years; was elected to the legislature and represented his district in the Seventeenth General Assembly. In January, 1881, he was appointed district-attorney, and is now discharging the duties of that office with marked ability. Although comparatively a young man he has the confidence of the people, and is one of the brightest legal lights in southwestern Iowa.
FARLOW, WM. N., Bedford. Born in Miami, Miami county, Indiana, October 10, 1852. In 1856 his parents moved to Taylor county, locating in Benton township, where his youth was spent on a farm, during which time he acquired a liberal education. When nineteen he began teaching school, and continued in that calling until 1878. In 1875 he entered the State Agricultural College, at Ames, remaining one year. The following year he was appointed to the position of book-keeper in the Bedford Bank and filled that position efficiently until February, 1881, when he accepted a position as assistant in the county treasurer's office, which he still occupies. Mr. Farlow has seen many changes in Taylor county; was a pupil in the first school taught in the county. He has since been closely identified with the moral, social and educational interests of the community in which he resides.
FRANKLIN, L., real estate dealer and abstracter, Bedford. No sketch of the business interests of this city would be complete without favorable mention of this energetic and enterprising citizen. Although he has been in this country but a short time he has gained the confidence of the people and won an enviable reputation as a business man. He is at present a partner of P. C. King, and the firm is doing an extensive business.
GREEN, Capt. J. T., proprietor of Bedford House, Bedford, is a native of Owens county, Kentucky, born in New Liberty, September 12, 1833. There grew to manhood and attended school. Completed his education in the Western Military Institute at Drennon Springs…. His father, E. H. Green, was engaged in the mercantile and hotel business at New Liberty. Was proprietor of the Owens House. He was also largely (page 643) interested in the cultivation and manufacture of tobacco. Had a large plantation and at one time owned and employed upwards of one hundred slaves. When fifteen years of age his parents emigrated to Ray county, Missouri, purchased a large tract of land and engaged in agricultural pursuits. Though he was reared in the South and had pro slavery principles instilled into his youthful mind, he never forgot the teachings of Clay, and when the cloud of war o'erhung our land, threatening destruction to our sacred institutions, he was among the first to respond to the call for troops. Enlisted as captain in the Sixth Missouri cavalry and went at once into active service. Took part in the battles of Blue Mills, Missouri, Lexington and Lone Jack. Engaged in the cavalry charge at Independence and received a saber wound in a hand to hand fight; also at Cabin Creek, where his regiment captured the rebel Marmaduke and several pieces of artillery. Was in the engagement at Fort Smith, where the Union forces again defeated the enemy; drove them twelve miles, to Devil's Backbone, where they made a stand. The Union forces were again victorious and captured several pieces and one thousand prisoners. Was mustered out at Springfield, Missouri, in 1864, and proceeded at once to organize the Thirteenth Missouri veteran cavalry, for three years. He was then ordered to Benton Barracks, St. Louis; remained there until his regiment was thoroughly organized and drilled. Moved out in pursuit of Price; drove him out of the State of Missouri into Arkansas, and had several skirmishes with him. At the close of the rebellion his regiment was ordered to the plains to protect the settlers, stage lines and assist in opening the famous Butterfield, or Smoky Hill route from Ft. Reily to Denver. Arrived at Denver October 1, 1865, and took up winter quarters at that place. During the winter they engaged in protecting the line from Denver to Central City. Mr. Green considered the days he spent on the plains the most pleasant of his military life. He was ordered to Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, where he was mustered out May 16, 1866. He then located at Junction City, Kansas, at that time the terminus of the K. P. R. R., and engaged in the hotel business. Remained there seven years, then moved to Arnell Junction, Missouri, and kept the "Arnell," a large eating-house on the Wabash Railroad. He then moved to St. Joseph and engaged in the commission business. Followed that line six months, became dissatisfied and moved to Hopkins, Missouri, and kept the Hopkins House eighteen months, after which he came to Bedford and purchased the Bedford House. Was married October 7, 1867, to Miss Mary J., daughter of William Joiner, of Ray county, Missouri. They have three children: Olive, born January 26, 1868; Ella, born May 12, 1871, and Lottie, born September 24, 1874. Subject has been burnt out by (page 644) fire once since his residence here. He is now proprietor of the Bedford House, a large three-story brick, nicely furnished and first-class in every respect. It may be said of him as of Logan, that no one ever "entered his house hungry that he gave him not meat." The colonel is one of those genial, courteous and whole-souled gentlemen who can one moment "be a boy with the boys," and in the next "assume the dignity of a czar." He is always happy, has an inexhaustible supply of "pleasing stories," and is unquestionably one of the most popular landlords in the West.
GILES, J. L., livery and feed stable, Bedford. Was born February 22, 1827, in Marion county, New Jersey. While yet a child his parents moved to Marion county, Ohio, where our subject was educated and learned the cooper's trade, which he followed until 1858. He then came to the Hawkeye State, and locaated in Mahaska county; while there he engaged in farming. Moved to Wapello county in 1866, remained there one year, then went to Page county, where he resided until coming here in 1879. Shortly after his arrival in this city he entered into a partnership with W. S. Mossman in the livery business. They have a large brick stable, one of the finest in southwestern Iowa, and are doing a good business.
GOODSILL, N., of Goodsill Bros. Among the many enterprising business men of this county, no one has a more enviable reputation for integrity and business capacity than Mr. G. He was born in Canada, in 1841. His parents were formerly from Vermont, but had made a brief sojourn in Canada, returning to their home in Vermont during our subject's childhood. In 1847 they removed to Illinois, locating in McHenry county on a farm where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until the summer of 1863, when he enlisted in company I, One Hundred and Fortieth Illinois infantry. After serving about six months on detached duty, he was mustered out with his company in October of that year. He then went to Chicago, and engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until 1870. He then moved to Hopkins, Missouri, and there engaged in the lumber business with his brother, who had previously located there. December 25, 1870, they established a lumber business at Bedford, which has since grown, and is now one of the largest in the country. In 1871 they embarked in the hardware business, and are numbered among our most substantial firms. In 1874, feeling the want of banking facilities to accommodate their immense trade, they established the Bank of Hopkins, and in 1878 organized and established the Citizens' Bank of Bedford, both of which are conducted on sound financial principles, and are possessed of ample capital to enable them to do an extensive volume of business. The firm is also engaged in a general merchandizing business at Conway, where they deal extensively in (page 645) dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, groceries, agricultural implements, etc., etc. They have also erected a large flouring-mill at Lenox, which is worth at least $20,000, and is a valuable addition to the industries of the town. They also possess improved farms that are worth $25,000; and it can truthfully be said that every enterprise of moment that would enhance the interests of the county has received their earnest support and encouragement. In their history we see the rise of men of Limited capital to a place among the wealthiest of southwestern Iowa, men who have by their indomitable courage, persistent efforts and close application to business accumulated much of this world's goods, and secured pleasant homes for the decline of life.
GUTHRIE, Dr. J. W., physician and surgeon, Bedford, is a native of Ohio, born in Holmes county, July 30, 1827. Was raised and educated in Holmes and Wayne counties. Commenced the study of medicine in Wayne county under Dr. Martin, with whom he pursued his studies three years. He then entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and took a course in the medical department, also a course in chemistry, and graduated in the spring of 1862. After graduating he went to Massilon, Ohio, and commenced the practice of his profession. Was appointed assistant surgeon of the Twentieth Ohio infantry volunteers, and served in that capacity until the close of the war. Operated on the fields of Burnsville, Corinth, Vicksburg, etc. Of the forty-two battles inscribed on the flag of the Twentieth Ohio, the Dr. has a distinct recollection, he having taken a great part in caring for the sick and wounded. He at one time had charge of the hospital at La Grange, Tennessee, and again, in front of Kenesaw Mountain, took charge of a host of maimed whose piteous cries for help would have moved a heart of steel, yet through all these trying scenes the Dr. remembered his duty and labored to ameliorate the sufferings of his fellow beings. On the 22d of July, 1864, while the army was investing Atlanta, the Dr. stood on an eminence and witnessed Gen. J. B. McPherson leading the Sixteenth army corps into the fatal gap from which the gallant general never returned. He was also at the capture of Savannah, and witnessed the surrender of Gen. Joseph E. Johnson to Gen. Sherman. Was made purveyor of the Fifteenth army corps, and had charge of all the medical supplies, which position he held at the close of the war. When his services were no longer needed in the field he came to Iowa, located in Scott county, and engaged in the practice of his profession. Remaining there a sort time he returned to Worcester, Ohio, and engaged for a time in the drug business, then returned to the Hawkeye State and practiced medicine at Clarinda, Page county, for about six years. He next went to Kansas City, (page 646) Missouri, and engaged as traveling correspondent for the Kansas City Journal, after which he came to Bedford, and has since made it his home. Was married in 1872 to Miss Ada Bently, of Chicago, who was at the time of their marriage a teacher in the schools of Cleveland, Ohio. They have two children. Dr. and Mrs. G. are members of the Presbyterian Church.
GREENLEE, H. U., mason and builder, Bedford. Born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, in 1843. His early life was spent as a sawyer in his father's mill. His familiarity with steam machinery induced him to stand the examination required by the laws of that State, which he readily passed, and received a certificate from the board of examiners as a steam-engineer. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Sixteenth Pennsylvania cavalry, and participated in all the engagements of that famous troop, including Antietam, Chancellorsville, Parker's Store, cavalry charge at Aldie, Spottsylvania Court-house, the Wilderness. Was severely wounded, and had his horse shot from under him at Mine Run. Followed Phil. Sheridan in all his raids through Virginia. Was present at the surrender of Lee at Appomatox, and was discharged at Lynchburg, Virginia, in 1865. He came to Taylor county in 1866, and engaged in his trade, which he still follows and works a number of hands. He also owns and operates a stone-quarry and limekiln. Mr. G. was married in 1871, to Miss Mary Tucker, daughter of Thos. Tucker, one of the first settlers of this county. They have five children: Minnie, Hattie, Clara and Carrie (twins), and Harry U.
GOLLIDAY, ALFRED M., physician and druggist, Bedford, was born in Indiana, December 14, 1830. During childhood, his parents moved with him to Vermillion county, Illinois, where he attained to his eleventh year. They next became residents of Fulton county, same State. When about twenty years of age; he commenced the study of medicine under the direction of his father, Dr. W. P. Golliday; pursued his studies one year, then entered the drug store of Dr. L. G. Thompson, of Lincoln, Illinois, and continued the study of medicine and chemistry until the autumn of 1857. He then entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, which he attended during sessions of 1857-8. In February, he returned to Bedford, and ministered to the afflicted until the following winter, when he against entered college, and graduated with honor in the spring of 1876. He again returned to Bedford, and resumed the practice of his profession. He soon built up a large practice; extending into adjoining counties and Missouri. Although not a lucrative business, owing to the indigence of the early settlers, it was certainly a pleasant one for the doctor, who never refused his efforts to alleviate the sufferings of his fellow men. In 1866, he began the drug business, and has continued in that line ever since. He (page 647) now carries a complete and select stock of drugs, and enjoys a large trade. Although past the meridian of life, he yet remains an old bachelor and still continues the practice of his profession within the confines of his own vicinity.
HOUCK, EDWIN, founder of Bedford, is a native of Jefferson county, New York; born January 16, 1820. When about seven years of age his parents moved to Chautauqua county, of that State, where young Edwin remained until his eighteenth year. While there, in the deep forests of the Empire State, our subject enjoyed the grandeur of pioneer life, and learned the rudiments of an education which he has since put to a commendable use. In 1838 his parents became residents of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, where they purchased and improved a farm in what was then a sparsely settled region. While there, his time was spent in attending to the duties on the farm, and teaching. In 1847 he was united in marriage to Miss Julia M. Johnson, a native of Connecticut. In the spring of 1854, he again started westward, for the purpose of securing for himself a home. Arriving at this place, he purchased eighty acres of land and erected the second building in what is now the city of Bedford. His house was that of a pioneer, built of logs, with puncheon floor, and possessed all the requisites of comfort, if not of luxury. His family arrived in the autumn of that year, and found him comfortably situated on the bleak prairies of southwestern Iowa. His farm was divided into lots, and to-day the beautiful and enterprising city of Bedford stands on land once owned and tilled by Edwin Houck. Since the founding of the city, he has used every opportunity to promote its interests. He established the first printing office in the county. Although he has never been a political aspirant, he has taken great interest in public affairs, and has ever held tenaciously to the Republican faith. Mr. H. is now extensively engaged in the sale of agricultural implements and farm machinery, and has ample means to enjoy the comforts of life.
HOUCK, A. S., Bedford. Born September 6, 1832, in Chautauqua county, New York. When eight years of age, his parents moved to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, bought a farm, and by their united efforts put it in a good state of cultivation. Although circumstances prevented him from obtaining an education while young, he has since, by extensive reading and practical study, acquired sufficient knowledge to make a success of life. When seventeen years of age, he commenced learning the carpenter trade, which he pursued for several years with a marked degree of success. In 1856 he became impressed with a strong desire to visit the Great West, and in August of that year came to Bedford. He at once entered one (page 647) hundred and sixty acres of land and erected a small cabin, and began the arduous task of opening up a farm on the bleak prairies of southwestern Iowa. He was also engaged at his trade, and erected the first frame building in Bedford. In the spring of 1860, he, with a party of enthusiastic seekers after gold, started across the plains for Pike's Peak. Before reaching their destination, the fever, caused by the excitement which then prevailed throughout the country over the reported discovery of untold treasures, had somewhat abated. After remaining in the gold-fields two and a half years, he returned to Bedford. In July, 1863, he enlisted in company B, Ninth Iowa Cavalry; was with his company on scouting expeditions through Missouri and Arkansas; was promoted to the position of commissary sergeant; was taken sick in May, 1865, and sent to the hospital at Little Rock, Arkansas, and subsequently discharged on account of physical disability. In June, 1865, he returned to Bedford. A decade since, he commenced the sale of agricultural implements and farm machinery, at which business he still continues. He was married, October 18, 1867, to Miss Angeline Hunnel, of Argyle, Wisconsin. Two years later she passed from earth, leaving one child, Irving. On February 2, 1873, Miss Laura Blackwell, of Illinois, became his wife. From this union there are three children: Iola, Martin and Jessie. Politically, Mr. H. is a staunch Republican; though not a politician in any sense. He has ever been an earnest advocate in the cause of temperance.
HUSTON, J. E., attorney, Bedford, is a native of her Majesty's Dominion, having been born in Canada in 1837. When about two years of age his parents became residents of Freeport, Illinois. At the age of six he went to Wisconsin, and in 1848 removed to Jefferson county, Missouri, where he remained about two years. He then returned to Wisconsin, and in the fall of 1862 was enrolled as chaplain of the one Hundred and Second Illinois, and served in that capacity until the autumn of 1864, when he resigned and returned to Mercer county, Illinois. Remaining there a few months he went to Andrew county, Missouri. In 1866 he engaged in ministerial work, and after one year's labor entered the field of journalism and conducted the New Era, a newspaper of Savannah, Mo., for about five years. He afterward acted as court reporter for the Third and Thirteenth judicial districts of Iowa for six years. He became a resident of this county in 1878, located at Bedford, and engaged in his present business. He was admitted to the bar, and soon gained an enviable reputation as a practitioner. In February, 1861, he was elected justice of the peace, and is now discharging the duties of that office. Mr. Huston is a gentleman of (page 649) liberal culture and versatility of talent. He is an active member of the M. E. Church, and a zealous worker in the cause of temperance.
JEFFREY, W. P., county superintendent of schools, Bedford, is a native of the Hoosier State; born March 24, 1844. Remained in his native State ten years, then came to the prairies of Iowa with his parents, who were among the earliest settlers of Adams county. The father resides today on the land he entered more than a quarter century ago. There it was that our subject learned to use the axe and hoe, and where he attended the common schools of that early day. Being naturally quick to learn, and very studious, he soon prepared himself for teaching, and followed that business until 1864. He then entered the Iowa Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant, and graduated from that institution in 1867, receiving the degree of A. B. He then took charge of the Quincy (Adams county) schools, and remained in that position four years. Was then appointed superintendent of schools of Adams county, in which capacity he served until the close of that official term, when he was reelected; also took charge of the schools at Corning, filling both positions for two years. From Corning he went to Shenandoah, and took charge of the schools at that place, but was compelled to resign on account of ill health. In the spring of 1877 he moved to Bedford and engaged in the drug business; two years later entered the medical college at St. Joseph, Mo., graduating as an M.D., March 3, 1880. The fall previous he was elected county superintendent of schools for this county, which position he now fills to the satisfaction of all. Was married April 23, 1872, to Miss Belle Werdner, of Clarinda, Page county. They have one child, Frank D. Mr. Jeffrey, although a young man, has done a great amount of mental labor; in fact, most of his life has been one of constant mental activity. He is connected with the Masonic fraternity. Himself and wife are members of the M. E. Church.
KERR, J. C., principal Bedford schools, was born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, July, 1850. When but a child his parents moved to Iowa, and settled in Appanoose county, where our subject was raised on a farm and attended the common schools. He entered the high school at Garden Grove, Decatur county, graduating in 1874; then became a student of the Iowa State University, and graduated from that institution in the spring of 1877. He then came to Bedford and took charge of the public school, which at that time was not graded. He at once graded the school, prepared a course of study, and established what is now the Bedford high school. Although he has been here but four years, he has perfected an excellent system, and is meeting with the greatest success as an instructor- graduating (page 650) a class of eight in 1880, and another of nine in 1881. Prof. Kerr is a young man of extraordinary ability, and is fast gaining a reputation as one of the leading educators of the State.
KING, P. C., county treasurer. Subject was born in Lee county, Iowa, July 31st, 1845. When five years of age his parents moved to Appanoose county and there remained a half decade. Then came to Taylor county, locating on a farm in Jefferson township. There his days were spent in agricultural pursuits and in acquiring an education. At the breaking out of the war he became impressed with the justness of the Union cause and desired to lend his effort to preserve the Republic entire. He enlisted August 5th, 1861, in company K. Fourth Iowa infantry. Was with his company during many "storms of shot and shell" among which were the battles of Pea Ridge, Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Mississippi; Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge and numerous others. Was with Sherman in his march to the sea. During service he was promoted to a lieutenancy. He was mustered out August 5th, 1865, having faithfully served his country and having braved the storms of many bloody fields. He then returned to his home and engaged in teaching. In the fall of 1877 he was elected county treasurer which office he has filled efficiently until the present time and has proven a most obliging and worthy officer. March 15, 1867, Miss I. O. Hillyer became his bride. From this union there are four children living: Rollin A., Paschal E., Rowena, and Dell.
LEWIS, L. N. attorney at law, and real estate dealer, Bedford, is a native of Pennsylvania born in Susquehanna county November 5th, 1823. His father being a farmer our subject spent his youth in that healthful employment, receiving his education in the common schools. Removed to Wisconsin when about twenty-seven years of age and engaged in the manufacture of wagons and carriages for a time. Came to Iowa in 1858, settling in Ringgold county and engaging in farming near Mormontown. Tilled the soil four years then went to Mt. Ayr and commenced the study of law. Was admitted to the bar in Bedford before Judge Day in 1864. Commenced the practice of his profession at Mt. Ayr; remained there about three years when owing to the excellence of the schools at Clarinda, Page county, he removed to that place that he might educate his children. In 1867 he came to Bedford, purchased fifty acres of land adjoining what is known now as "Lewis' Addition" and engaged in the practice of his profession and in real estate business. Since coming to this city he has been very successful as a practitioner and has accumulated a considerable property. (Page 651) Was married in 1851 to Miss Hasley A. Ressegue, a native of the Keystone State. Their union has been blessed with five children, all living.
LONG, W. M. P. farmer and stock-dealer, Bedford, was born in Monroe county, West Virginia, December 25, 1801. When about nineteen years of age moved to Kentucky and settled on the Big Sandy River and at twenty-five located at Pine Hook, Indiana. While there he was married to Miss Hannah Pope, a daughter of Samuel Pope, of Lebanon, Ohio. In 1833 he settled near Indianapolis where he remained two and a half years, then went to Greencastle, Indiana where he followed stone-masonry until he removed to Iowa in 1850. He first settled in Lucas county but in 1854 came to Taylor county and located at Bedford. February 22, 1871 Mrs. Long died and our subject married Miss C. A. Byers, a native of New York State. Of their children eight are now living. Mr. Long has been closely identified with the social, moral and religious interests of the county and has also been an active worker in the cause of temperance.
LITTEER, A. J., retired farmer, Bedford. Among those who left comfortable homes and came west to establish civilization - to brave the hardships of pioneer life, none are deserving of more credit than is Mr. L. He was born November 7, 1828 in Sussex county, New Jersey, and spent his early youth in attending school and aiding on the farm. In 1848 he went to New York City where he remained until 1851. He then moved to Yates county of that State and in 1855 came to Taylor county Iowa. He bought and improved a farm near Conway. A decade later he moved to Bedford where he has since remained. Churches, schools, etc., were unknown at the time of his coming to this county, but by active measures adopted by our subject and others these requisites to civilization were established. He was married in this county September 23, 1858, to Miss Mary Lewis, a native of Delaware county, Pennsylvania, and a lady of culture and refinement. She is a classical graduate of Chester county institute of Chester county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Litteer has witnessed nearly the entire growth of this county and has manifested great interest in its development. His success in business may be inferred from a knowledge that he began here with limited means and by industry and careful management has succeeded in securing a valuable property and a quiet comfortable home. He also owns a more desirable stock farm of four hundred and sixty acres in Marshall township. As a public servant Mr. L. has always commanded the admiration and esteem of his fellow men.
LONG, H. P., auditor of Taylor county, Bedford, is a native of Indiana, born in Greencastle, February 22, 1852. During his infancy his parents brought him to Chariton, Iowa and in 1857 came to Taylor county. Here (page 652) young Long attended school, gained a liberal education and has since put it to excellent use. Although a young man, Mr. L. has filled many positions of responsibility and has always discharged his duties with the strictest integrity. Politically he has ever been a staunch Republican. He was married in October, 1878, to Miss Carrie F. Parks, a native of Michigan.
MEEK, A. S., jeweler, Bedford, is a native of the Buckeye State, born in Tuscarawas county May 30, 1838. When about ten years of age he moved with his parents, Joseph M. and Eliza Meek, to Washington county, Iowa. There our subject engaged in farming and attended the common schools. Completed his education in Washington College, of Washington, Iowa. Engaged in teaching during the winter of 1861-2. Became a resident of Page county in the last named year, and followed various occupations, running a threshing-machine, etc. In 1864 he engaged as clerk in the mercantile house of J. D. Hawley, Clarinda, and continued in that employment one year; he then became interested in the carding and woolen manufacturing business at that place in which he continued five years. Came to Taylor county in 1870, located on a farm near this city, and engaged in agricultural pursuits for a time. Became a resident of Bedford in 1872, and has since conducted his present business. Subject was married July 12, 1863, to Miss Mary E., daughter of David and Fransinkie Abbott, of Page county, formerly of Indiana. Of their children, three are living; Luella May, born November 23, 1864; Georgia Estella, born September 6, 1866; and Harry Alexander, born October 16, 1874; one, Gracie Deet, was born October 11, 1870, and died May 23, 1872. Mr. Meek is thoroughly a self-made man, acquiring his education by his own exertions, and, though not a practical jeweler, he understands well how to conduct a business of that character; by keeping in his employ the best workmen and attending closely to his business, he has gained the confidence and esteem of the public and receives a liberal patronage. He also keep a good supply of sewing machines, machine fixtures, etc. Subject possesses extraordinary qualifications; always courteous and obliging, he has gained an enviable reputation as a business man. He is surrounded by an interesting family which makes his one of the happiest of homes.