Ross township enjoys a distinction. It was the first seat of justice
in Taylor county of which we have an official record. .…Taylor county
was created by an act of the legislature in January, 1851. Ross was
not then a township. The townships then comprising Taylor county were
Jackson, Benton and Polk. But what is now Ross township has an important
place in the annals of this county. Jacob Ross, who since moved to
Kansas, and there died in Wilson county, lived on section five. Mr.
Aaron Cox now owns the same, and the log cabin built by Mr. Ross still occupies
the old site. In its best days it was humble within and without.
It was one story high and covered a piece of ground (page 627) fourteen
by fourteen feet. It is now decayed and mouldy. Time has befouled
the strong huge logs with his destructive fingers. Thirty years ago
it was the palace of this heritage. All the people inhabiting Taylor
county spoke glowingly of "the Jake Ross' Cabin." And what memories
cluster around it! Yet every day people pass it and never think that
it has a history! But it has. Here was held the first District
Court of Taylor county, and in running over the records we find a book,
old and musty, which gives the following account of the same. We give
it here as a curiosity, and where it may be easily found by some future
historian. The record is in Judge Sloan's handwriting, for the reason,
probably, that the clerk was unfamiliar with the forms usual on such occasions.
It is as follows:
At a District Court of the Sixth judicial district of the State of Iowa,
begun and held on the third Monday, the fifteenth day of September, A. D.
1851, at the house of Jacob Ross, Taylor county, in the State of Iowa (being
the court-house pro tem, for said county), pursuant to an act of
the General Assembly of the State of Iowa, entitled an act to attach certain
counties to the Fifth judicial district, and fixing the terms in the courts
of the Fifth and Sixth judicial districts.
The Hon. James Sloan, district judge; James B. Campbell, sheriff of
said county, and John Hayden, clerk of the District Court for said county.
In the records and proceedings of said court were the following:
The Honorable James Sloan took his seat.
John B. Campbell produced evidence of his certificate of election and
oath and bond being duly filed as sheriff of said county.
John Hayden also produced evidence of his certificate of election, oath
of office and bond as clerk of the District Court for said county.
George P. Stiles, A. C. Ford and Jacob Dawson, Esqr's, councillors and
attornies (this is the judge's spelling) at law, attended at court, having
been heretofore admitted to practice in the District Courts in this district.
The court then appointed Jacob Dawson, Esq., prosecuting attorney for
this term of the court, and he took the oath of office required by law.
The grand jury were called and sworn, and entered upon their duties.
The court adjourned at six o'clock P. M., until nine o'clock A. M. to-morrow.
September 15, 1861. - Court opened at nine o'clock A.M., pursuant to
The grand jury returned a bill of indictment found against Isaac Davis
and Edward S. Godsey for an assault and battery, with intent to commit a
bodily injury, upon one John Hayden.
The grand jurors and petit jurors' names were called, and the time of
their attendance regulated, and they were discharged.
The court was adjourned until the first Monday in April next.
James Sloan, Judge.
John Hayden, Clerk District Court.
From the above it will be seen that the next term of the District Court
was set for the first Monday in April, 1852. There was no court held
at that date, or if there was the records do not show it. In the meantime
(page 628) Judge Sloan had resigned, and Governor Stephen Hempstead of Dubuque,
had appointed Hon. A. A. Bradford district judge in his stead. This
was done May 4, 1852. The record shows a copy of the governor's appointment,
and that a term of the court was held at the residence of Jacob Ross commencing
July 9th, 1852, and lasting two days. Benjamin Rector, of Fremont
county, was admitted to the bar, and appointed prosecuting-attorney pro
tem. At this term Benjamin Rector, L. Lingenfelter, C. P. Brown
and J. M. Dews were enrolled as attorneys of this court. James Gartside,
of Jackson township, and since a prominent and very influential citizen,
who died in 1877, was there made a citizen of the United States, having,
the 16th day of September, 1847, declared his intention of becoming a citizen
of the United States before the Court of Common Pleas in the city of Philadelphia.
David and Godsey were acquitted of a charge of assault and battery with
the intent to commit a bodily injury upon John Hayden. And in a civil
action, brought against them by Hayden, they were successful, Hayden having
the costs to pay. The court then adjourned to the third Monday in
March, 1853. This was the last term in Ross township. The next
was held at the residence of John Lowe, who lived on section 28, Benton
township. The premises are now the property of Mr. Abner Daugherty.
…Ross township is located south of Bedford and extends to the Missouri
line. Its entire length in a southwestly direction is traversed by
the East One Hundred and Two River, the valleys of which are rich in productive
capacity. Sections six and seven, in the northwest corner of the township,
are crossed by the Middle One Hundred and Two River. Both streams
are lined with considerable timber. The soil of the township is rich,
and the greater portion of it is arable. Many fine farms are scattered
throughout its domain, and some of the farmers there living are among the
wealthiest in the county. As a rule the people are superior in mental
and moral culture. It is a portion of the county that was the earliest
settled, with, perhaps, the exception of Clayton and Jackson townships.
The township derives its nomenclature from Mr. James Ross, father of….Jacob
Ross… Mr. Ross owned what is now called the Phelps farm. He moved
to Wilson county, Kansas, and died there several years since. His
coffin was made from the lumber of the wagon-box in which he emigrated thence.
Mr. Ross came to Taylor county at a very early period. An old settler
who domiciled in Clayton township as early as 1845 mentions him as a citizen
at that time. Very many people now living in the county remember him
and speak in praiseworthy terms of (page 629) his excellent qualities of
head and heart. He died at an advanced age, having the esteem of all
who had known him. And just here it will be proper to mention a fact
that we have heretofore overlooked. His son, Jacob Ross, was the surveyor
of Taylor county when the seat of government was located at Bedford, and
he laid off the town under an order from John Lowe, who was then county
judge. ….Jacob Miller was another old settler of this bailiwick.
He built the first mill in the county along early in the forties.
It was torn down in 1855 or 1856. It was located four miles southwest
of Bedford on the East One Hundred and Two River, near where William Oxley
now lives, and a part of it was taken to Polk township where it entered into
the construction of what is known as the "stone mill." The capacity
of Miller's mill was quite limited. At best it was only a corn-cracker.
It could not grind wheat, and the best it could do was to crack corn.
Farmers came long distances to this little mill, and the man who brought
ten bushels of corn in his wagon had to wait twenty-four hours for his grist.
But they were hours well spent. They were probably the brightest in
the pioneer lives of the good people who lived here then. Settlers
were few. In 1845 there were but twelve families in the county.
There were a few in Ringgold county and over the line in Missouri.
So they occasionally met at Miller's mill, swapped yarns, became acquainted,
got interested in each other, and formed friendships that were never broken
in this life. Ah! what grand, stalwart hearts those old settlers had!
They were as large as their cabins, and no man ever passed their doors hungry.
Their virtues and their simplicity are worthy of emulation in these days
of wealth and prosperity, and under such stimulus we would have a stronger
and greater people. Brice Somers was also a Ross township pioneer,
but we have been unable to gather any facts relating to him. Nor is
it possible to trace the families of these men, for all of them were married
and were blessed with children. Enoch Beauchamp, who lives on section
twenty-nine, came there in 1858, and has been blessed in well filled granaries
every year. His herds have grown, not as Jacob's did in Bible times,
but in a manner very pleasing to Mr. B.'s purse. D. M. Greerson is
another prosperous farmer of Ross township. He came there in 1856,
and has "grown up with the country" as it were. In other words as
his community has grown so has his estate. Ten years since other farmers
located in Ross township who have grown rich. Chief among these are
H. C. Beard, Elisha McCormick, J. P. Reighter, and James McMonigal.
The oldest church organization of which we have any record is the Methodist
Episcopal. It was organized in 1859. The original members were:
D. Martin and wife, J. Hatfield and wife, William Townsend and wife, William
Simmons and wife, R. Simmons, Wesley, Lemuel, Alexander, Albert and Horace
Underwood, and C. F. Dresher and wife. This society has no church
building. Services are held in the Patch school-house. The present
membership is upward of forty. The first pastor was Rev. Peterson,
who afterward was the publisher of a temperance journal at Des Moines.
He is now a resident of California. The present clergyman is Rev.
T. P. Newland, whose ministry has been marked with flattering success.
The Christian denomination has an organization known as the Eureka Church.
It was organized in 1875. Its membership numbers eighty, and they
meet at the Patch school-house for worship. At this time they have
no regular pastor.
Soon after the organization of the Methodist Church in Ross township,
of which mention is heretofore made, the Baptists organized at Hazel Dell
school-house. This was in 1859. Elder Otis, who lives in Holt
township, was the leading spirit in this organization, and is its present
pastor. the membership is about forty. Just over the line in
Missouri, at the Maple Grove school-house, the Baptists have another organization,
and to this several Ross township citizens belong.
The Methodists have another church known as the Eagle School-house Organization.
Its membership is small, numbering only twelve. Rev. T. P. Newland
is the efficient pastor. At this writing services are held in the
Banner school-house, the Eagle having been consumed by fire early in the
present year. It is now being rebuilt and when completed it will again
serve the Methodists as a church edifice.
Ross township has two very excellent union sabbath-schools. There
has been no effort on the part of any denomination to establish sectarian
schools, and a fine feeling of Christian and brotherly love seems to pervade
all hearts. And a people as prosperous as these, and so wide-awake
to matters of morality and religion, will not long assemble in school-houses
to worship the Creator. Substantial and commodious church buildings
will soon mark some of the picturesque places of Ross.
The Creston branch of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad,
as it is termed, but which is really the arm of that great road reaching
toward Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona, crosses Ross township in a southwesterly
direction into Missouri. Hopkins, a town of considerable commercial
importance (page 631), is just over the line, and has a large trade from
Ross, Polk and Jackson townships. Very much of the corn and stock
raised in these townships goes to Hopkins. It is not presuming upon
too large a figure to say that one-half of the corn and hogs shipped from
Hopkins should be credited to Taylor county; and a large portion of it to
Ross township. Adding the Taylor county shipments from Hopkins to
those of Bedford, where they justly should be credited…that Ross township
adjoins a city that is unsurpassed in the state in the volume of its exports.
In its educational affairs Ross township enjoys a fair record.
We have found it impossible to gather such facts of its first schools as
we hoped to, and hence this part of the story of this bailiwick must be
brief. Information is a cheap thing. Its cheapness ought to
make it the more abundant, but it doesn't. It is the last thing, seemingly,
that the ordinary man wants to part company with. He is a very niggard
in this respect, which will have to account for whatever completeness there
may be lacking in this….
ANDREWS, J. W., farmer, post-office Bedford, was born
in Richland county, Ohio, October 3, 1840. While yet a babe his parents
moved to Knox county, Illinois, where he remained until seventeen years of
age. He then engaged with Buchanan in his trouble with the Mormons at
Salt Lake. Was in the service four years, then re-crossed the plains,
came to Taylor county, and has since made it his home. Was educated
in Knox county, Illinois, and was married October 4, 1864, to Miss J. Perdue,
of that State. Mr. A. now has a fine farm of one hundred and twelve
and a half acres, all under fence, in good cultivation, and is considered
a practical farmer. They have been members of the Christian Church for
ASHER, JAMES B., farmer, section one, post-office Bedford;
born in Hendricks county, Indiana, May 6, 1838. Remained in that county
until twenty-one years of age. Came to Iowa in 1859; settled in Monroe
county, remained there nine years then came to Taylor county. Was married
May 12, 1864, to Miss Mary C. Stoddard, daughter of John and Sarah Stoddard,
of Monroe county, Iowa. Mrs. A. was born in Montgomery county, Indiana,
August 25, 1838. They are the parents of but one child, Minnie B., born
September 27, 1867. They have a good farm of 272 acres, in a high state
of cultivation and are engaged in farming and raising stock. They
are both consistent church members and are respected very highly as earnest
workers for the moral and intellectual development of all.
ATKINSON, SARAH P., relict of Thomas Atkinson, deceased,
post-office Bedford, was born in Belmont county, Ohio, March 12, 1824.
Was married April 19, 1849, to Thomas Atkinson. In 1854 they moved to
Hancock county, Indiana, remained there three years, then became residents
of Miami county, where they engaged in farming eight years. In 1865
they came to Taylor county, and purchased the farm on which our subject now
resides. Mr. A. departed this life November 15, 1875, leaving four children:
William L., John D., Mary E. and Rachel A., also a devoted wife to mourn his
loss. Mrs. Atkinson has a fine farm of eighty-five acres, all under
fence and in a high state of cultivation. She also has a good house,
surrounded with a beautiful grove, orchard, etc. She has been a consistent
member of the M. E. Church for many years.
BAILIE, D., farmer, sections twenty-five and twenty-six,
post-office Bedford; born August 18, 1836, in Knox county, Ohio, where he
was reared (page 802) and educated. Enlisted August 18, 1862, in company
E, Eighty-eighth Ohio. Participated in several of the most hotly contested
battles of the rebellion; lost a finger during his service; was promoted to
second sergeant and served faithfully until July 4, 1865, when he was mustered
out at Indianapolis, Indiana. Came to Taylor county in 1867 and has
since made this his home. Was married December 4, 1856, to Miss Millie
A. Redman. They have one child, James L., aged seven. Mr. B. and
wife have been faithful members of the M. E. Church for the last twenty years.
Has a good farm of 120 acres.
BARNES, D. E., farmer, section thirty, post-office Hopkins,
Missouri, is a native of Owen county, Indiana, born July 26, 1844. Was
there reared and educated. Enlisted December 14, 1861, in company K,
Fifty-first Indiana. Participated in battles of Shiloh, Perryville,
Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Franklin, Nashville, Tennessee,
besides numerous skirmishes. Was mustered out at San Antonio, Texas,
in December, 1865, and received his discharge papers at Indianapolis, Indiana,
January 14, 1866. Returned to his home in Owen county of that State.
In September, 1869, he became a resident of Hopkins, Missouri; lived there
about two years then moved to Arkansas. Resided in Arkansas county,
of that State, about eighteen months, after which he came to Taylor county.
Was married July 4, 1869, to Miss Anna S., daughter of N. V. and L. A. Willard;
have six children: Martha A., Sylvanus C., Fletcher A., Henrietta, Mary
L. and Lilian. Mr. B. has a good farm of ninety acres. Both are
members of the M. E. Church.
BEARD, H. C., farmer, section twenty-two, post-office
Bedford; is a native of the Green Mountain state, born in Orange county in
1826. Lived with his parents on their farm until 1847. He then
moved to De Kalb county, Illinois, and lived there until 1872 at which time
he came to Taylor county. Was married October 4, 1855, in Kendall county,
Illinois, to Miss Sarah F. Sears. From their union there are two children:
L. E. and Freeman P. Mr. B. has 320 acres of land all fenced and in
good cultivation, large frame house surrounded with a nice grove, commodious
barn and other out-buildings. Raises his own stock and grain principally.
Aims to ship one car load of cattle and one of hogs each year. Realizes
about two thousand dollars per year off of his stock. He is a man of
prominence and influence and is considered one of Taylor county's best citizens.
BEAUCHAMP, ENOCH, farmer, section twenty-nine, post-office
Hopkins, Missouri; born December 16, 1826, in Wayne county, Indiana.
When eleven years of age he went to Parke county, same State; lived there
twenty-one years then came to Iowa and located in this county. Was first
(page 803) married to Miss Mary Remington, of Parke county, Indiana.
They were the parents of seven children: Emily J., James W., Sarah E.,
John C., Mary A. and Laura A.; one is deceased. Mrs. B. died August
8, 1871. Mrs. E. S. Bradley became his wife July 4, 1874. She
had three children: B. J., L. B. and H. E. Subject has three children
by his last wife, Adelbert E. and Grace. Mr. B has a farm of 273 acres
in good cultivation, large house surrounded by natural grove, commodious barn,
orchard, etc. He is an excellent farmer and takes great interest in
public affairs. Mrs. B. is a member of the M. E. Church.
DURFEY, J. S., farmer, section twenty-seven, post-office
Bedford, born in Knox county, Ohio, August 12, 1844. Moved to Licking
county, same State; resided there several years, and in 1861 became a resident
of Champaign county, Illinois. Came to this State in 1879 and located
on his present farm. Was married October 20, 1868, to Miss Nancy V.,
daughter of James H. and Henrietta Hamilton. Of their children, Henry
C. and Genevia H. are living. One, Florence H., is deceased. Mr.
Durfey has nice little farm of forty acres and has it so improved as to make
him a pleasant home.
GREESON, D. M., farmer and stock-raiser, section twelve,
post-office Bedford, born in North Carolina, January 8, 1831. During
his infancy his parents moved to Indiana, locating on a farm, where he engaged
in tilling the soil and teaching school until his twenty-fourth year.
In 1855 he became impressed with a desire to visit Iowa and establish his
home within its borders. Accordingly, in the fall of that year he came
to Keokuk county, remained one year and then came to Taylor county.
During the early years of his residence here Mr. Greeson was engaged in tilling
the soil, yet was also identified with the educational interests of his township.
January 1, 1862, he was married to Miss C. E. Terrill. They are the
parents of five children, three of whom are now living. Mr. Greeson
is in possession of a valuable farm of 160 acres, well cultivated and beautifully
situated. Has a comfortable dwelling surrounded by a handsome grove
of shade and ornamental trees. Also has a large orchard of select trees,
which supply him with an abundance of fruit. Mr. Greeson is now engaged
in stock-raising, and has some fine specimens of blooded stock.
HAMILTON, D. H., farmer, section sixteen, post-office
Bedford, born May 27, 1830, in Jefferson county, Indiana. While quite
young his parents moved to Boone county, same State, where he grew to manhood.
Was educated in the common schools and Wabash College at Crawfordsville. In
1864 he came to Iowa, stopped about one year in Clarinda, Page county, then
returned to his native State. In May, 1862, he enlisted in company (page
804) G, Fifty-fifth Indiana infantry; was sent out as captain of that company,
served one year and was discharged by order of Gen. Merton. In July,
1863, he was commissioned major of the one Hundred and Second Indiana; served
until October following, then resigned and returned to his home. Came
to Taylor county in 1870 and located on his present farm of 240 acres.
Was united in marriage, December 25, 1855, to Miss Eliza Varenice, a native
of Indiana. Eleven children have blessed their union; three are living:
Frank M., Jessie A. (wife of W. Rose, of Bedford), and Katie B. Mr.
Hamilton has served two years as a member of the county board of county supervisors,
and is now serving his fourth year as justice of the peace.
JONES, T. D., farmer and stock grower, section two, post-office
Bedford, born in Ross county, Ohio, May 8, 1835. When fourteen years
of age his parents moved to Appanoose county, Iowa, where he arrived at man's
estate. Was married in 1856 to Miss Nancy Alcott, a native of the Buckeye
State, and a lady of excellent qualities. They have two children: Harry
W. and Lena. In 1872 he became a resident of Page county, Iowa, and
remained there four years, then came to Taylor county and located where he
now resides. His present farm contains 120 acres of excellent land in
fine cultivation, with good buildings, and surrounded with a beautiful grove.
Mr. Jones is a member of the Baptist Church, and contributes liberally to
all measures for public improvement, also takes great interest in the moral
and intellectual development of the county.
LARISON, B. F., farmer, section twenty-one, post-office
Bedford; born in Shelby county, Indiana, April 15, 1849. His early days
were spent in attending school and assisting in the duties of the farm.
In the autumn of 1866 he came with his parents to Taylor county, settling
in Mason township, and a decade later moved to their present location.
Was married August 11, 1878, to Miss S. A. Vancamp of this county. They
have one child, Etta May. Their farm consists of 160 acres of excellent
land, well adapted to raising stock, at which our subject is at present engaged.
Mr. and Mrs. Larison have long been active members of the Baptist Church,
and are esteemed by their acquaintances.
LARISON, J. B., farmer, section five, post-office
Bedford, is a native of Miami county, Ohio; was born January 11, 1823.
During his infancy his parents moved to Shelby county, Indiana, where our
subject grew to man's estate, receiving a liberal education in the common
schools. Was there married in 1847, to Miss E. J. Medkeff, who was born
in that county in 1827. In 1866 Mr. Larison came to Taylor county, locating
in Mason township; and in March, 1874, he moved to his present location, where
he (page 805) owns forty-three acres of valuable land, and has a pleasant
home. Mr. and Mrs. Larison are members of the Baptist Church, and for
many years have been zealous workers for its upbuilding. They are the
parents of eight children, five of whom are deceased. Benjamin F., Kimble
and James E. remain to comfort their declining years.
MAY, H. E., farmer and liveryman, section two, post-office
Bedford, was born in Delaware county, Ohio, January 8, 1836. Moved to
Jay county, Indiana, when about ten years of age and made that his home until
1874. At the breaking out of the war he became an enthusiastic advocate
of the Union cause and in 1862 enlisted in company H, Thirty-ninth Indiana
infantry. Participated in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth and others
of equal importance. Was honorably discharged in the winter of 1863-4
and returned to his home. He came to Taylor county a decade later and
engaged in the livery business four years. Erected and still owns the
elegant brick stable now occupied by Giles & Mossman, which in point of
elegance and arrangement is not excelled in western Iowa. In 1881 Mr.
May moved to his present location, where he owns a farm of 120 acres of excellent
land within one and a quarter miles of this city. Subject was married
June 27, 1878, to Mrs. E. C. Golden, a daughter of Rev. John Evans, of Bedford.
He is now giving most of his attention to farming and raising stock, and is
numbered among the most substantial business men in the county.
MOON, R. G., farmer and stock-grower, section one, post-office
Bedford, born in Cattaraugus county, New York, August 26, 1839. Remained
in his native county until fifteen years of age. He then moved to Michigan,
located in Eaton county and engaged in farming about fifteen years.
Came to Taylor county in 1859, purchased a part of his present farm and once
more settled down to business. Since coming here Mr. Moon has been continually
making improvements and has now one of the finest arranged farms in the county.
It contains 280 acres in good cultivation, excellent dwelling, commodious
barn, feed lots, etc., and an orchard of upwards of a thousand bearing trees.
Has also a magnificent grove of shade and ornamental trees. Subject
is now extensively engaged in stock-raising. Has on his farm a large
number of fine cattle, horses and swine. Miss L. C. Newell, a native
of Ohio, became Mrs. Moon December 25, 1868. She is a lady of great
moral and intellectual worth.
MOORE, JOHN E., farmer, section thirteen, post-office
Bedford, was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, April 5, 1826. Was
there educated, learned the carpenter's trade and worked at that business
for a time. Moved from Pennsylvania to Knox county, Illinois.
Was there married to Miss Adaline V. Wells, in 1858. They are the parents
of eight children: (page 806) S. Wells, John C., C. M., Willis K., Minnie
M., L. R., S. S. and L. D. Two are deceased. Mrs. Moore was born
in York county, Pennsylvania, and has for a quarter of a century been a consistent
member and earnest worker in the Presbyterian Church. Subject has also
been a member of the same church for twenty years. He has a farm of
160 acres of land well improved and admirably adapted to raising stock and
grain. He is a practical farmer and commands the respect of all who
have the pleasure of his acquaintance.
PAYTON, J. H., farmer and stock-grower, section twenty-four,
post-office Bedford, was born in Fayette county, Indiana, August 9, 1821.
Grew to manhood in that State and received a common school education.
Moved to Henry county, Illinois, when twelve years of age. Came to Iowa
in 1873, locating in this county, east of Bedford, remained there eighteen
months, then moved to his present farm November 10, 1875. The principal
part of his life has been spent in farming although he has also engaged in
teaching. Has held numerous district and township offices, including
assessor, justice of the peace, etc., and has taken great interest in the
management of the schools. Was first married April 1, 1844, to Miss
Emily Worley, of Indiana. They had one child which is now deceased.
Was married a second time, Miss Mary Jane Worley becoming his bride.
They have seven children: E. P., W. F., J. S., L. F., L. C., I. A.,
and one deceased. Mrs. P. died July 8, 1862. He was again married
May 11, 1863, to Miss Ellen N. Dailey. Two children have blessed their
union: E. E. and M. E. Mr. and Mrs. P. have long been members of the
M. E. Church and have been officially identified in the church. They
have a fine tract of 360 acres of fine farming land situated where he lives
and adjoining the State of Missouri, and has ample means to enjoy the quiet
of his beautiful home.
RISSER, T. D., farmer, section fifteen, post-office
Bedford, was born August 17, 1844, in Ashland county, Ohio; there grew to
maturity and received a liberal education. In September, 1862, he enlisted
in company H, One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio. Took part in the battles
of Port Gibson, Champion's Hill, Black River Bridge and Mobile, also in the
siege of Vicksburg. Was mustered out in October, 1865, at Houston, Texas.
He then went to Colorado, lived there three years, came to Taylor county in
March, 1871, remained here six years, then moved to Platte county, Kansas.
Returned to this county in 1879, and has since remained. Was married
in 1870 to Miss Mary Hensley. They have been blessed with five children:
Pearl V., Frank A., Ermy, Mary A. and Minalove. Mr. R. has a number
one farm consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, and has a comfortable
RYSOR, RICHARD, farmer, section thirty, post-office Hopkins,
Missouri, is a native of the Hoosier State; was born in Howard county, February
14, 1846. When seven years of age he came to Montgomery county, Iowa,
lived there one year, then came to this county. February 22, 1874, he
married Miss Susan M. Simmons. They have one child, Archibald, aged
two years. Mr. R. has an excellent farm of eighty acres, all in cultivation,
well improved, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He and wife
have been earnest members of the Christian Church for the last twelve years,
and are honored and respected by all.