Taylor County, Iowa History 1881 by Lyman Evans
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: email@example.com)
Prior to 1866 Platte township embraced its present limits and all that territory now known as Grant township. The East One Hundred and Two River rises in Platte township, its source being several small streams branching in various directions, and furnishing most excellent drainage. Platte township is very high, and excepting Creston, Lenox, the metropolis of the township, is the loftiest point between the two great rivers. Its soil is very rich and productive. Corn and flax are the chief products. The yield of corn on the average in Platte township is, perhaps, the heaviest in the county. ….Lenox is the leading grain shipping station in the county. In the number of car loads of corn sent out it almost equals the number of shipments from both Bedford and Conway.
It is claimed that the first prairie broken in the township for farming purposes was on section 12. John Kilgore was the gentleman to worthily bear this honor, and the farm is now owned by Mr. Chester. This was in 1855, and the same spring, William Caplinger and James McVey commenced to improve their farms in sections 11 and 24. The farm above (page 610) spoken of, which was formerly Mr. Kilgore's property, he sold to Mr. G. R. McDuffie, who now lives in Union county. The sale was made soon after the improvements were begun. The first house built in the township was erected by Mr. Kilgore on the same land in 1856. Mr. Caplinger built on the farm he now occupies in the autumn following.
The first election in Platte township was held at the residence of William Caplinger in 1857. William Caplinger was elected justice of the peace, Oliver Jenks, township clerk, and Oliver Jenks and S. W. Robinson, trustees. At this time every man in Platte township, which then embraced Grant, held an office, with the possible exception of Mr. McDuffie.
The first post-office in the township was established in 1857, in December. It was located at the house of William Caplinger, and bore the very proper appellation of Lone, because it was far away on the vast prairies.
The winter of 1855-6 was severe throughout the United States and the Canadas. It was unusually so, and, perhaps, has never been equaled, unless it was by the winter of 1880-1. Of course it must have fallen heavily upon the settlers of Platte township, where there were neither hills nor trees to protect shivering man from the biting blasts of an unrelenting storm of sleet and snow. In that winter the mercury fell to forty degrees below zero in places. So it will not be hard to picture the perils and sufferings endured by pioneers on the pathless prairies of Platte township. Their nearest mill was on Middle River in Madison county, or in Missouri, several miles southeast of Maryville. Breadstuffs were scarce and high, and could only be obtained by great toil and expense. In fact, all supplies were brought from a distance. A sufficiency of grain was not yet grown to meet the wants of the pioneers. There was no surplus to draw upon as occasion might require. The severe winter found them wholly unprepared for it. Their houses in some cases were built of small poles from four to six inches in diameter, and could not be laid close enough together. Put them tightly as they might, the wind would find plenty of crevices through which it would hurry the snow and sleet. Perhaps, and which was often the case, when one of those terrific storms would come, the husband and father was sixty or seventy miles distant, with an ox team after the necessaries of life for his little brood. This required an absence of many days, and to gather the wood that warmed them from under the drifts of snow, and care for the stock was an undertaking that would make the pampered and delicate women of to-day shiver.
Among the other early settlers is Mr. George Van Houten, who came to the county in 1855, while a mere lad. Then there are N. Eggler, Henry Kilgore and J.M. Wilt. Mr. Wilt came in 1861, and lives on section 12. George Van Houten resides on section 19. These gentlemen have witnessed (page 611) the wonderful growth of a most wonderful country. When they came to Platte township, and Taylor county, an improved farm wasn't worth much more than a song, and was unsaleable. Now farms are more valuable than the most sanguine could have hoped for, and prairie lands cannot be bought for less than twice the amount the early settler thought his improved farm would be worth.
The first marriage ceremony in the township was performed by the Rev. James Wishard. The contracting parties were Abner Baggs and Miss Jane Geahan.
The first male child born in the township was John, whose happy parents were Greenbury and Martha McDuffie. He came to gladden their hearts in 1858. Belle Caplinger was the first dainty baby girl.
The first death was in the family of Dr. James McVey - a child who was buried in Union county.
The first physician was Dr. James McVey, who came from Missouri.
The first preaching in the township came from the lips of Rev. James Wishard, a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His services were held in a log hut on section 12. He accomplished much in the way of good, and laid solid the foundation for the piety and morality that is so (page 612) characteristic of the people of this township. The first resident minister was the Rev. John S. Dean.
A log school-house on section 12 witnessed the first educational efforts in the township. The sum of twenty dollars per month was allowed the teacher, who was Mr. Joe Lavely. Frequently he had but one scholar, and that one he carried upon his back to and from the school-house. The building we are speaking of was the first school edifice in the township. It was built by the citizens at a cost of $60, and was by them sold to the district.
Mrs. James McVey wove the first cloth. She was a woman of great strength of character and was well calculated to endure the hardships incident to the life of a pioneer. After her came other women who distinguished themselves in all the branches of industrial domestic labor.
When the township was first settled a few Indians remained. But the whites soon drove them away, and their trapping places were used by the "pale-faces" for five or six years, with good success.
During the war all the able-bodied men in the township were giving their energies to their country and risking their lives on sanguinary battle-fields that the government of their fathers might be perpetuated and treason be wiped from the land. During all these troublous days milling was done with cattle and the wood hauled for the families of those who were in the army.
The Baptists have a church organization known by the name of Bethel. It was first organized November 15, 1879. The original members were Mr. and Mrs. William Winkley, Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Franklin, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Bennett, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Franklin, Mr. and Mrs. S. O. Chester, Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Waters, Mrs. Jennie Brown, Belle Franklin, Veachel Franklin, Marion Franklin and J. W. Franklin. The church has no building. Its services are held in district number 6 school-house. The church was reorganized January 17, 1880, by a council composed of Rev. P. Andrews and S. M. Osborn, of Mt. Ayr, Rev. Golding, of Bedford, Mr. R. M. Ray, of Grant Center and Rev. H. S. Cloud and R. Bosisto, of Corning. Since the reorganization the church has had but one pastor, Rev. H. S. Cloud, who is still serving there in that capacity. The membership is twenty-two.
Perhaps the most desirable institution of Platte township is the nursery owned by George Van Houten. It is the largest and most complete in southern Iowa. Mr. Van Houten understands his business as thoroughly as the schoolmistress the A B C's she teaches her pupils. He owns, also, a nursery at Grant City, Missouri, at Blanchard, Page county, at Essex, Page county, and one at Bedford, with Thomas Potter, Esq. As a tree-grower few men in Iowa are better or more favorably known.
ALLEN, Hon. N. J., dealer in all kinds of agricultural implements, Lenox; was born in Pennsylvania in 1842, where he remained until his sixteenth year. He then came west, stopping one year in Jackson county, Iowa, then went to Kansas and remained there until the breaking out of the war. Determined to lend his aid to the Union cause, he enlisted in company F, First Kansas infantry for three months and at the expiration of that time reenlisted in the Seventh Kansas cavalry volunteers. Was chosen first lieutenant and served three years, participating in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged. He acted as regimental quartermaster during the last nine months of his service. When the war was over he laid aside the suit of blue and engaged in the more peaceful pursuits of life. Coming to Union county, Iowa, he remained there until 1869 when he returned to Kansas and in the fall of that year was elected to (page 773) represent the seventy-ninth district in the legislature of that State. His record as a legislator was so satisfactory to his constituents that he was returned after his first term by an increased majority. In February, 1872, he located in Lenox, built his present residence and opened the second business house in the town. He was married in Ringgold county, Iowa, ____1862, to Miss Sarah C. Bauman, daughter of John G. Bauman, one of the oldest settlers of that county. They have four children: Hannah J., Agnes M., John F. and N. J. Mr. Allen is a member of lodge No 343 A. F. & A. M., chapter No. 77 R. A. M. and Bethany Commandery No. 29, K. T., Creston, Iowa.
BARNES, JOHN W., of Barnes & McGregor, editors and proprietors of the Lenox Time Table. He was born in Delaware county, Iowa, May 30, 1850, and there engaged in farming and attending school, finishing his education in Lenox Collegiate Institute of that county. He then spent two years in teaching, came to this county in 1873, and bought and improved a farm near Lenox. Taught school in winter and farmed during the remainder of the year until 1876, when he located in Lenox and opened a furniture store; also sold pianos, organs, and sewing-machines. Since purchasing the Time Table he has disposed of his furniture store, but still remains in the piano, organ and sewing-machine business, which will be conducted by his partner, he having editorial control of the Time Table. Mr. Barnes was married at Dubuque, Iowa, in 1871, to Miss Mary C. Bargett, a native of Pennsylvania. They are the parents of three children; Archie C., Alva E. and Edna B., all living. Mr. Barnes is a man of enterprise, attends closely to his business, is an excellent writer, and enters the field of journalism with the brightest prospects for the future. He is connected with the A. F. & A. M. fraternity.
BAXTER, JOHN, real estate dealer and mayor of the city, is a native of England; was born December 12, 1842. When eleven years of age his parents immigrated to the United States and settled in Boone county, Illinois. There they remained a short time and then moved to Missouri, thence to Iowa county, Iowa, where they resided until coming to this county in 1868. Located in Lenox in 1876, and two years later was elected justice of the peace; served in that capacity for two years, and in the spring of 1881 was elected major of the city. Mr. B. now owns a fine farm of 240 acres in this township besides a valuable residence and business houses in Lenox. He was married in Iowa county, September 11, 1874, to Miss Mary E. Spinner, a native of Ohio. They have six children living: Anna E., Stella M., Samuel W., Jno. F., Alonzo and Jesse. One, Ida, is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. (page 774) Baxter are both members of the M. E. Church and take great interest in the moral and intellectual development of this county.
BEADLE, P. G., farmer, section nineteen, post-office Lenox, was born in Illinois, in 1853, where he grew to manhood and was educated. Came to Taylor county in 1875, and located on his present farm of 120 acres. Although a young man Mr. B. has by industry and economy acquired a splendid home and is continually increasing his store of this world's goods. He is yet unmarried and resides with his father.
BEADLE, W. M., farmer and stock-grower, section thirty, post-office Lenox, was born in Peoria county, Illinois, in 1856. Was raised and educated in that State. In 1875 he came to Taylor county and located on his present farm of one hundred acres. Was married in 1879 to Miss Ida Ingraham, a native of Wisconsin. They now have a pleasant home which they are continually making more attractive by additional improvements, and though young in life have accumulated ample means to enable them enjoy its comforts. They are members of the Episcopal Church.
BEADLE, E. N., farmer, section nineteen, post-office Lenox, was born in Peoria county, Illinois, in 1850, and there attained his majority, learned the carpenter's trade, and followed that business about five years. In 1875 he came to Taylor county and located on his present farm. Was married on year previous to Miss Jennie Stone, a native of Illinois. One child, Edith, has blessed their union. She is a bright little girl and the idol of her parents. Their farm consists of one hundred and twenty acres, is in good cultivation and forma a profitable and pleasant home. Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of the Episcopal Church.
BRATTON, GEO. L., section 33, post-office Lenox, is a native of Ohio, was born in Guernsey county in 1851. Came to Iowa with his parents when but a child and located in Jones county. Received his education in the common schools and Bailey's Business College, Keokuk, where he graduated in 1876. His life, except when in school, was spent in farming and stock raising. He came to Taylor county in 1876 and engaged in the mercantile business at Lenox. Continued in that employment until 1880, when on account of failing health he disposed of his store and purchased a farm and retired from active life. Remained on his farm one year, then sold it, and is now renting land and grazing a large number of cattle. In 1876 he was married to Miss Mary Long, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Jessie and _____. Mr. B. is a young man of good habits and well qualified for business.
BROOKS, Capt. L. S., banker, Lenox. Among the prominent business men of Taylor county, none are more worthy of notice than this subject. He (page 775) is a native of the Granite State, and was born February 4, 1826, and is the son of Gardiner T. and Mima Brooks, of New Hampshire. When fifteen years of age his father died, and in 1879 his mother departed this life, leaving a family of ten children. In 1853 he moved to Philadelphia and engaged in the mercantile business. Remained there three years, then came west and settled in Buchanan county, Iowa, where he improved and sold a number of fine farms. Impressed with a desire to go further west he visited the gold fields of California, locating in Grass Valley, and engaged in the mercantile business and mining. He held some valuable mining stock and realized a considerable amount from its operation. He then returned to Iowa, and in 1863 raised a company for the Forty-seventh Iowa infantry volunteers; was elected captain of company D, and served with distinction in the Union cause. The adjutant of his regiment, Mr. Devin, in speaking of its officers informed the writer that Capt. Brooks was always cheerful and kind to his men, and was never known to be out of humor even in the most trying hours and most discouraging circumstances of the rebellion. After the war was over and that mighty ulcer, slavery, had been removed, he laid aside the suit of blue as willingly as he had donned it, and returned to the more peaceful pursuits of life. He was discharged in the fall of 1865, and now has the president's thanks, and certificate of honorable service for his gallantry during his services, in the field of battle. It was signed by the president and Edwin M. Stanton. He then returned to his home and remained a short time, then came west, locating at Corning, Adams county, Iowa, and engaged in business there until 1874; he then became a resident of this county, and has since made it his home. About one year ago he engaged in the banking business and has since been eminently successful. He now owns a number of fine farms besides valuable properties in this city, and has one of the finest residences in the county. While a resident of Buchanan county, he held many offices of trust and honor, and was president of the county agricultural society six years. Subject was married March 10, 1847, to Mrs. Mary A. Reed, of New Hampshire. From this union there were eight children, four of whom are now living: George L., Charles A., Katie A. and Leonard B.; four died during infancy. In 1874 he married Mrs. Charlotte Wilson, of Corning, a lady of English birth, who emigrated to Canada about 1850. Mr. Brooks is a man of sound judgment, possesses extraordinary business qualifications, and never allows an opportunity for promoting a public enterprise to pass without his attention and aid. He counts many warm friends among the rich as well as those who have been the subjects of his philanthropy.
BROOKS, CHARLES A., grocer, Main Street, Lenox, a native of the Keystone State, was born in Philadelphia, October 13, 1853. When two years of age his parents moved to Buchanan county, Iowa, and settled on a farm where our subject grew to manhood, and received a liberal common school education. In 1869 he went to Corning, Adams county, and in June, 1872, came to this county, locating at Lenox, where he engaged in the harness business in October of that year. He was married in this county in 1876 to Miss Ella A. Brock, a native of Manchester, New Hampshire. He was connected with E. L. Osborn in the hardware and agricultural business for seven years prior to his establishment in is present business. Although a young man, Mr. Brooks possesses the requisite amount of energy and business qualifications to insure success in any vocation, but seems particularly attached to his present work. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., an R. A. Mason and also a K. T. of Bethany Commandery No. 29, Creston, Iowa.
BURNETT, R. B., farmer and stock grower, section fifteen, is a native of her majesty's dominions, born in Canada in 1840. When twelve years of age his parents emigrated to Carroll county, Illinois. He there grew to maturity and attended the common schools. In 1861 he enlisted in company K, Fifteenth regiment Illinois volunteers. Served one year. Participated in the battle of Corinth and was then discharged on account of sickness. Returning to Illinois he remained one year, then went to California and there enlisted in company H, Seventh cavalry, and served sixteen months, and was again discharged. Returned to Illinois, and in 1872 came to Taylor county, Iowa. Two years previous he had been united in marriage with Miss S. A. Todd, a native of the Sucker State. They are parents of three children: Parlee H., Stella B., and George C. Mr. B. has one hundred and eighty acres of a farm, and is one of the prosperous farmers of Platte township. He is connected with the Masonic order.
CAHILL, J. W., farmer and stock-raiser, section five, post-office Lenox, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Peoria county in 1845. He there remained until sixteen years of age, acquiring a common school education. In 1862 he went to California, via New York and Panama, and there engaged in mining. Remained one year, then crossed over into Nevada and followed the same business. While there he joined the Nevada militia. In 1864 he went to Idaho, thence to Montana; was there when that Territory was organized. Made Montana his home until 1869. Took part in the Indian wars of 1867, and was engaged in prospecting in all the Territories of the United States, excepting Alaska and New Mexico. Went to Tecomah, Washington Territory, in 1869, thence to California, and subsequently returned to Nevada, where he was engaged (page 777) as superintendent of a quartz mill. In 1871 he visited Salt Lake, then went to the Opis district, and engaged in mining three years, then returned to his native State. After visiting friends for some time he started west again, traveled through Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska, then came to Iowa and settled in Taylor county on his present farm. He has one hundred and sixty acres of land, and is engaged in raising horses and cattle. To note all the adventures and experiences of Mr. C. while in the Territories would require a volume. At one time he lived twenty-two days on meat without salt. In 1864 he was caught in a severe storm, lived three days on rawhide and gave an ounce of gold for one of salt. He is member of the blue lodge of Lenox, chapter of Creston, Bethany Commandery, also a member of the Holy Land League of Jerusalem.
CAPLINGER, WILLIAM, farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty-four, post-office Lenox, was born in Kentucky, in 1822. While yet a child his parents moved to Montgomery county, Indiana, where he acquired his education in the common schools. In 1847 he enlisted in the First Indiana regiment, and served one year in the Mexican War. Returned to his home and in 1849 and emigrated to Iowa, locating in Lee county. Remained there six years, then came to Taylor county and settled on his present farm. In 1862 he enlisted in company F, Twenty-ninth Iowa, and served until the close of the war. Took part in the battles of Helena, Little Rock. Jenkin's Ferry and the capture of Moultrie. Was discharged at Greenville hospital, New Orleans, on account of sore eyes. Returned home and has since remained. He was married in 1852 to Miss Elizabeth McVey. They have five children: Mary E., wife of James H. Read, Jr.; Eliza J., wife of F. M. Lutcorest; James, Jesse and Ollie. Mr. and Mrs. C. are members of the Christian Church, and command the respect of all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance.
CHENOWITH, J. F., retired farmer, post-office Lenox, is a native of the Buckeye State. Was born in Ross county, in 1822. Received his education in the subscription schools of the county and engaged in teaching. In 1842 he went to Warren county, Indiana, remained one year, thence to Madison county, same State, where he engaged in milling until 1863. He then came to Taylor county, Iowa, and settled on a farm of two hundred acres in Holt township, which he improved. In 1881 he retired from active work, bought a ten acre lot in Lenox, on which he now resides. During the eighteen years that he lived on his farm no one was ever turned from his door except in one instance, when it was impossible for him to keep him. On his arrival in this county he visited Bedford, Quincy and Clarinda to procure furniture, but found none for sale in either place. Subject was married in 1846 to Miss Clarissa Foster, a native of Kentucky. They have six children: Mary J., Asbury, Belle, Fannie, Laura and Benson. They are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. C. is connected with the A. F. & A. M.
CHILDS, H. A., dealer in drugs, books, stationery, etc., Lenox, is a native of Bureau county, Illinois. He was born May 2, 1854; was raised on a farm, and received a liberal common school education. Also learned telegraphy, and was employed as an operator one year. He then moved to Red Oak and kept hotel for a time. Came to Lenox in the spring of 1875, and at once entered into the drug business. He was married in Lenox, in 1876, to Miss Emily Ingraham, a native of Michigan. They have two children: Carrie and Hal A. Subject is a man of fine business qualifications, carries a full stock of the best goods, and justly merits the generous patronage he receives. One peculiarity about his store is that it always presents a neat appearance, the goods being arranged in a tasty manner, instead of the grog-shop style so common in the smaller, and very frequently in the larger cities of the West. He is connected with the A. F. & A. M.
DeTAR, Rev. J. D., pastor of M. E. Church, Lenox, was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, December 10, 1848. When four years of age his parents moved to Henry county, Iowa, where he grew to man's estate, and received a classical education, graduating from the Iowa Wesleyan University at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in 1869, and at once took charge of Chester Church, in Poweshiek county. >From there he went to Linnville circuit, Jasper county, where, owing to poor health he was compelled to give up the ministry, and for four years engaged in farming in Cass county. Regaining his health during these years, he resumed his ministerial labors, and took charge of the Union Grove circuit for one year. He was then sent to Memory circuit, and was stationed at Mormontown for two years, after which he came to his present charge, and has filled the pulpit of this place nearly one year. He was married in Mahaska county, Iowa, in 1870, to Miss Mary A. Taylor, a native of Noble county, Ohio. They are the parents of three children: Sarah, John D. and William P. One, Theodore R., died in infancy. Mr. D. is thoroughly devoted to his charge, and is a fine orator and theologian.
FORMAN, W., farmer, section thirty-three, post-office Lenox, was born in Preston county, Virginia, in 1849. When five years of age his parents moved to Knox county, Ohio, where he attained his majority and received a common school education. In 1866, he came to Henry county, Iowa, remained there eight years, then came to this county and settled on his present (page 779) farm of eighty acres. Subject was married in 1875, to Miss Ruth Ann _ore, a native of Ohio. Their union has been blessed with two children: Rachel M. and Lee W. Mr. F. is a good farmer and commands the confidence of his neighbors.
FRANKLIN, JOEL M., farmer, section twelve, post-office Lenox. Prominent among the old settlers of this county we find Mr. F. He was ushered into this world in 1822. Is a native of Kentucky, where he arrived at man's estate and received a liberal education. Engaged for a time in shipping stock to New Orleans. He moved to Warren county, Illinois, in 1851 and located on a farm where he engaged in farming and stock-growing until June, 1866, at which time to came to Iowa, locating in Adams county. Remained there two years then came to this county and settled on his present farm. It consists of 149 acres well improved and in a high state of cultivation. He has it divided into small fields convenient for raising stock. Was married in 1850, to Miss Sarah Jones, also a native of Kentucky. They are the parents of eight children: William H., John W., Sarah E., wife of D. C. Markley; Eliza J., wife of Clark Brown; James V., Marion H., Mary B., Ulysses S. The family are all members of the Baptist Church except the youngest. Mr. F. has been a deacon in the church ever since its organization and is an earnest advocate in the cause of temperance. Their home is one of refinement.
GOLLIDAY, Rev. U. P., was born in Ohio, February 24, 1810, and received such an education as the common schools of his native place and the Lancasterian seminaries of Hillsboro and Dayton could confer. In 1825, he was in Indiana helping to clear the heavily wooded lands of Bartholomew and Shelby counties, at one dollar and fifty cents per acre. In 1828, he lived in Mays Lick, Mason county, Kentucky, where he made the acquaintance of a physician who, perceiving his love for books and fondness for study gave him access to his library. In 1831, he lived in Vermillion county, Illinois, near the Indiana State line, and by the kindness of Dr. Clarke, of Eugene, was enabled to pursue his favorite studies. By dint of perseverance, amid difficulties of the greatest character, sometimes making rails at twenty-five cents per hundred to pay for corn at thirty-five cents per bushel to make bread for his family; by working a small farm in the summer and teaching school in the winter, economizing all his leisure time of rainy days and winter nights, he felt himself ready in a few years to engage in the practice of medicine, and in a few more years received the degree of M. D. from the Rush Medical College of Chicago. Years before this period he became a member and a licentiate of the M. E. Church. In 1854, at the earnest solicitation of his presiding elder, Rev. C. C. Best, he (page 780) discontinued the practice of medicine and entered the itinerancy of the church. After filling several charges in the Rock River Conference he was transferred to the Iowa Conference and became a resident of Taylor county. Since then he has made this county his home, though the duties assigned him as pastor, Bible agent, presiding elder, etc. have called him into almost every county in western Iowa. In 1872, he was a delegate to the General Conference at Brooklyn, New York. In 1874, Simpson Centenary College, at Indianola, Iowa, conferred upon him the degree of D. D. He is now, in all probability, the oldest and longest resident minister in Taylor county, and is holding a superannuated relation to the conference. He has a pleasant home in Lenox.
HART, J. L., farmer and stock-raiser, section sixteen, post-office Lenox, was born in Chautauqua county, New York, in 1834. He moved with his parents to Huron county, Ohio, when but a child and there received his education in the common schools and Oberlin College. Learned the carpenter and joiner trade and followed that business for a time, then went to Michigan, located in Eaton county and engaged in farming. In 1872 he became impressed with the idea that the prairies of Iowa offered superior inducements and accordingly came to this State. He now owns 160 acres of as good land as Taylor county affords. Has it well improved with good buildings and is engaged in raising stock. He was married in 1859 to Miss M. S. Thomas, a native of the Buckeye State. They have two children: Henry G. and Edmund T. Mr. H. is a man of energy and possesses excellent business qualifications.
HAYNES, J. M., farmer and stock-grower, section sixteen, post-office Lenox, was born in Frederic county, Maryland, in 1843, and there arrived at man's estate, receiving a liberal education. Also learned the cooper trade and followed that business for some time. In the fall of 1863, he emigrated to Ohio, located in Butler county, and engaged at his trade four years. He then became a resident of Peoria county, Illinois, where he remained until 1875. He came west in the last named year and settled in this county. Was married in 1865, to Miss Margaret A. Leslie, a native of the Buckeye State. They have five children: William S., Charles E., Jacob M., Hattie E. and Luther E. Mr. H. owns a large farm consisting of 320 acres, beautifully situated and well improved. He is a man of energy and enterprise, has held many and important offices in his township, and is one of the most prosperous farmers.
HEWIT, J. B., farmer, section twenty, post-office Lenox, was born in Wayne county, Ohio, in 1837. Was there educated, learned the carpenter trade and engaged in that business eleven years. In 1866 he bid farewell to the State of his nativity, and starting westward, came to Iowa and for five years made his home in Van Buren county. During that time he worked at his trade. He then came to this county and settled on his present farm. In 1850 he chose as his life companion Miss Rebecca Mathews, also a native of Ohio. They are the happy parents of four children: Mary R., Francis M., Clement D. and Minnie D. They have a valuable farm of 200 acres, and are counted among the prospering people of Platte township. Are members of the Presbyterian Church.
HOLBROOK, W. A., farmer, section twenty-eight, post-office Lenox, was born in Vermillion county, Illinois, in 1829. When a child his parents moved to Bureau county where subject arrived at man's estate and received his education in the common schools. In 1866 he went to Vernon county Missouri, remained there twelve years then came to Taylor county and located on his present farm. He was married in 1854 to Miss S. J. Woods, a native of Ohio. They are the parents of seven children: Ben F., Marietta, Lincoln (deceased), Cora B., Maggie, Kate and Alice. Have a fine farm of 160 acres, and are members of the Christian Church. Mr. H. is connected with the Masonic fraternity.
HORNADAY, Hon. N. S., physician and surgeon, Lenox, a native of Hendricks county, Indiana, was born August 5, 1845. At the age of eleven years his parents, Elisha and Nancy Hornaday, moved to Appanoose county, Iowa, where our subject attained to man's estate and received an education in the select schools of that county. In 1864 he enlisted in company B, Forty-seventh Iowa infantry volunteers, and served until the end of the civil war. He then returned to Appanoose county and commenced the study of medicine in 1867 with Dr. S. H. Sawyer, a prominent physician of Unionville, that county. He then attended the medical lectures at Cincinnati during the sessions of 1869-70. Then practiced three years as a partner of his preceptor, Dr. Sawyer. He came to this county in August, 1873, and in 1879 was chosen by the people of Taylor county to represent them in the Eighteenth General Assembly. He was married at Unionville, Iowa, August 27, 1868, to Miss N. J. Miller, a native of Tennessee. Of their children there are living; Kate, Inez and Eveline. One, M. Claudius, died at the age of two years. The doctor enjoys a large practice in this and adjoining counties. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and of Bethany Commandery No. 29, Creston, Iowa.
HOWE, GEO. W., attorney at law and justice of the peace, Lenox, was born July 31, 1848, in Knox county, Illinois, and there grew to manhood. His youth was spent on a farm and in attending the common schools where, with the exception of two terms in a select school, he acquired his education (page 782). He came to Taylor county in 1864, where he learned the carpenter trade; engaged in that business in the summer and taught school during the winter months, spending his leisure time in the study of law. He was admitted to the bar September 8, 1874, before Judge Samuel Forey of the third judicial district and located at Lenox in March, 1874. Mr. Howe may be truthfully called a self-made man. He has gained all by industry and perseverance, always meeting discouraging circumstances with that fortitude and determination which never fail to surmount ordinary obstacles, and has established a reputation which, if rightly guarded, will insure him the greatest of success. He is also a lover of music and possesses considerable musical talent. Subject was married in this county August 15, 1868, to Miss Orilla P., daughter of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Walker, of Buchanan county, Iowa. They are the parents of three children: Charles C., Albert H. and Marietta; Charles C. and Marietta are living. Mr. H. is a member of A. F. & A. M., and at present is N. G. of the I. O. O. F.
HUDSON, Dr. J. A., Homeopathic physician, Lenox. Prominent among the many physicians of that school in this State, is the subject of the sketch. He is a native of the Keystone State, was born June 4, 1847. When but a child his parents moved to Ohio, where he resided several years and then returned to Pennsylvania. Soon after his return he was married to Miss Maria Ball, of Philadelphia. They are the parents of two children, Marie and Dollie. Dr. H. commenced the practice of medicine in Illinois in 1870. Two years later he became a resident of Plattsmouth, Nebraska, where he did a successful practice for two years. He then came to Iowa and located at Mt. Ayr, where he remained until coming to this county in 1879. Since locating in Lenox the doctor has built up a splendid practice. He is gentlemanly and courteous on the streets as well as in the sick room and is said to be one of the finest scholars in southwestern Iowa. No better evidence of his skill as a physician could be adduced than the fact that his practice (already large) is steadily increasing as he becomes more widely known. He is thoroughly a self-made man and possessed of considerable power of oratory.
HUMPHERY, J. H., of Humphery & Morrill, dealers in groceries, provisions, queensware, etc., Lenox; is a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1849. While yet a youth his parents moved to Benton county, Iowa, and located near Cedar Rapids. His early days were spent in agricultural pursuits which engaged his attention to such an extent that he received only a common school education. He came to Lenox in 1876. During the first year of his residence here he conducted a livery stable, but disposing of that, established his present business in 1877. In 1871 Miss Martha Miller, of Linn county, Iowa, became his wife. Four children have blessed this union: Bertha M., Hugh and baby are bright and promising; one, Ethel, died June 22, 1881, aged twenty-eight months. Mr. Humphery is a practical business man, understands perfectly his present work and together with his worthy partner presents the public an obliging and reliable firm. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church and takes great interest in the moral and intellectual development of the county.
JOHNSON, JOE C., of Johnson Brothers, dealers in clothing, hats, caps, boots and shoes, Lenox, is a native of the Buckeye State, born March 16, 1855. At the age of ten his parents moved to Adams county, this State, where they remained until 1869 when the family came to Taylor county. He came to Lenox in 1876 and clerked one year for Osborne & Brooks; then engaged in the real estate business for six months, after which he was employed as cashier in the banking house of G. L. Brooks, in which capacity he served nine months; then again engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business, which he continued until July 1, when he sold out to Mr. M. A. Lunn; and August 1, engaged in his present business. He was married in this county December 20, 1879, to Miss Clara L. Winkley, of Independence, Iowa. They have one child, Willie, born November 20, 1880. Mr. Johnson is an enterprising young man, with excellent business qualifications, and since his residence here has made many warm friends, who attest their confidence by a liberal patronage. He is interested in literature, and has at present a large library, to which he is constantly adding useful and interesting books.
JOP, CHAS. L., farmer, section two, post-office Lenox, is a native of the Pine Tree State, born July 28, 1837. Owing to the death of his parents he was thrown among strangers while quite young and his schooling was curtailed by close application to other duties. In 1857 he came west, stopping for a time at Monmouth, Illinois, but soon returned to his native State. Not yet content he again sought the West and engaged with his brother in a woolen mill at Monmouth in which employ he continued until 1873. He then came to this county and located where he now resides. In 18__ he was married to Miss Harris, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children: Nelson and Roxie. Although a sufferer from asthma most of his life, Mr. J. has by industry and good management secured a comfortable home. His farm of eighty acres is beautifully situated and admirably adapted to the raising of stock, at which he is now engaged. Mr. and Mrs. Jop are faithful members of the Presbyterian Church.
KEPNER, E. D., grain and agricultural dealer, Lenox, born in Pennsylvania, in 1842. His early youth was spent on a farm and in acquiring an education. At the breaking out of the war, though young, he determined to aid in preserving the Union; and in 1862 enlisted in company H, One hundred and Thirty-third Pennsylvania infantry volunteers, and served eighteen months. Then came to Taylor county, Iowa, and reenlisted in company D, Forty-sixth Iowa, and served until the end of the war. He then returned to his native State; and in 1869 became a resident of this county. A half decade later he engaged in the lumber and grain business in Lenox, and has continued in that employment most of the time since. He is now the owner of fine property in Lenox besides valuable lands in this county, and rich claims in the gold fields of the West. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Delia Silverthorn, a native of Pennsylvania. From this union there are five children: Helen, Nora, Belle, Alfred and Harrison. Mr. Kepner is an honest and industrious man of social and intellectual worth. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and K. T.
KILGORE, JNO., farmer, section twelve, post-office Lenox, is a native of the Hoosier State, born in Orange county in 1824. He there arrived at man's estate, received his education and learned the carpenter trade. He engaged in farming in summer and working at his trade in winter until 1850 when he came to Iowa and settled in Monroe county. Two years later he moved to Union county and preempted a quarter section of land in Platte township, this county, which he now owns. He planted a cottonwood tree in the corner of the four counties of Adams, Ringgold, Union and Taylor, which still grows and marks the spot. His mother's was the first death and burial in Union county. Enlisted in the army, but was rejected. He was married in 1845 to Miss Atocia Williams, a native of Indiana. They have eleven children: Taylor, Noah, Martha, William, Francis, Simpson, Helbert, Albert, Mary, Sarah, Curtis and John (12 names listed by author). Mr. Kilgore's father resides with him. He is now eighty-four years old, but still retains the activity and intellect of his younger days.
KING, L. H., farmer and stock-grower, section 11, post-office Lenox; born in Peoria county, Illinois. Was raised on a farm and received a liberal common school education. In 1862 he enlisted in the Seventy-seventh Illinois, and served until the close of the rebellion. Participated in the battles of Arkansas Post, Magnolia Hills, Champion's Hill, Black River and Vicksburg, where he was wounded and sent to the hospital May 22. Returned to his regiment in October following, and took part in the engagements at Sabine Crossing, where he was again wounded, Grand Detour, Alexandria. Then went to Fort Gaines, thence to Fort Morgan, and subsequently (page 785) to New Orleans where he took sick and remained until he was mustered out in 1865. Returned to Illinois and engaged in farming, but was unable to do much on account of his wounds. In 1870 he came to Iowa and located in Taylor county, which he has since made his home. He now owns a farm of 120 acres. He married Miss E. J. Kinkade, a native of the Hoosier State. >From this union there are six children: Nettie V., Sarah, Charles, Mattie, John W. and Rosa D. Mr. King is a member of the Free Methodist Church.
KINGAN, JAMES, dealer in groceries, glass and queensware, third door north of bank, is a native of New York, born December 10, 1849. Grew to manhood in his native State and attended the common schools. He afterward finished his education in the union schools of Panama. Came to Taylor county in 1877, farmed three years and commenced his present business November 9, 1880. He was married in New Jersey, May 7, 1876, to Miss Mary J. Burrell, a native of that State. They have one child, Lillie M., a very bright little girl; lost one, Arthur G., who died at the age of one year. Mr. Kingan is a young man of good mind, and is doing an extensive business, having many warm friends who encourage his enterprise.
LUNN, M. A., real estate, loan and insurance agent, Lenox; born in Ohio, September 6, 1846. When twelve years old his parents, Richard and Hope S. Lunn, moved to Jones county, Iowa, where our subject was raised on a farm, receiving a liberal education in the common schools. He was married in that county September 28, 1869, to Miss Mattie A. Bratton, a native of Ohio. They have a family of five children: William B., George R., Thomas D., Pearle M. and Lilian. His first, a son, died when six weeks old. Subject came to this county in 1872, established in his present vocation in January, 1881, and has since done a large business. Mr. Lunn is a young man of good habits and possesses that energy and integrity which alone would insure success. He is a member of the U. P. Church.
LUPTON, H., postmaster, Lenox, is a native of Athens county, Ohio; born April 27, 1847. Was principally raised in Belmont county of that State, where he received a liberal education. Moved to Keokuk county, Iowa, in 1865; remained five years, then went to Poweshiek county where he lived four years. Came to Taylor county in 1874 and in the following fall established the Lenox Time Table, an eight column paper, Independent Republican in politics. He donned the editorial garb and "pushed the quill" until July 22, 1881, when he sold to Messrs Barns & McGregor. Was commissioned postmaster January 15, 1879 and has since performed (page 786) the duties of that office. September 7, 1865, Miss Susanna Adams, a native of the Hawkeye State, became his bride, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Peter Cartwright, in Belmont county, Ohio. They are the parents of two children: Albert S., born September 30, 1869, and Ethel L., born October 1, 1877. Mr. L. is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Perfect Union Lodge No. 277.
LYDDON, WM., farmer, section nine, post-office Lenox, was born in England in 1838. While yet a child his parents immigrated to the United States and located in Warren county, Illinois. There our subject engaged in farming and attending school until he attained his majority. In the spring of 1875 he came to Iowa and settled in Adair county near Dexter where he purchased 420 acres of land, occupying it one year, then sold out and came to this county. He now owns 475 acres, nearly all of which he has improved since coming here. Has a fine orchard and grove, good buildings, etc., and is engaged in raising a high grade of cattle and Poland-China hogs. In November, 1865, he married Miss Olive L. Page, a native of the Empire State and a very cultured lady. They have four children: Ida R., Wm. O., John M. and Arthur S.; two are deceased.
MORROW, O. S., principal public schools, Lenox, is native of Monroe county, Ohio. Was born March 4, 1857. He is a son of Marshall and Sarah Morrow, of that State. When twelve years of age his parents moved to Madison, Wisconsin, where subject grew to maturity, engaged in agricultural pursuits. He graduated in 1874 from Platteville Normal School and taught ten terms in that State. Then went to Nebraska, and remained until the fall of 1880, when he came to Lenox. Since here he has taught three terms, two in the public schools and in one select school. Mr. M. is a fine musician and is the author of several pieces of instrumental music, which are said to possess considerable merit. He is a young man of good habits, naturally industrious, and as a teacher is probably not excelled in southwestern Iowa.
OSBORNE, E. L., dealer in hardware, agricultural implements, wagons, buggies, etc., Lenox….is a native of Scott county, Iowa. He was born January 1, 1846. His early life was spent on a farm and attending the public school. He finished his education in the Bryant & Stratton Commercial College, at Davenport. In 1868, though quite young, he enlisted in company K, Twentieth Iowa infantry volunteers, and served faithfully until that mighty ulcer, slavery, had been removed, and the Union preserved. He participated in the battles of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, siege of Fort Morgan, Alabama, charge on and capture of Fort Blakeley, Alabama, and in all subsequent engagements in which his regiment took part. At the close of the war he returned to Davenport and remained one year. He then visited the gold fields of Colorado, and after two years experience, returned to his old home. In 1870 he went to Council Bluffs and worked at the carpenter trade for one year, then came to this county and located at Lenox in 1872. After coming here he worked at his trade for about six months, after which he engaged with G. L. Brooks in the mercantile business, under the firm name of G. L. Brooks & Co., but afterwards Osborne & Brooks. In 1879 he purchased the interest of C. A. Brooks, and has since conducted the business for himself. He was married in Henry county, Iowa, in 1873, to Miss Martha H. Brice, a native of that county. They have four children: Nellie B., George L., (page 789) Lulu B. and baby. Mr. Osborne has a full stock of everything in his line, is doing a remunerative business, and merits the generous patronage he receives from the public. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Lenox, Iowa.
PAGE, G. W., farmer, section twelve, post-office Lenox, is a native of Brown county, Ohio, born in 1835. In 1857 he moved to Livingston county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming eight years. Came to Iowa in 1865, locating in Warren county, where he remained eight years, then came to Taylor county. Was married in September, 1869, to Miss Mary J. Livingstone, a native of the Buckeye State. Six children have blessed their union: Betsy A., Rosetta, Etna B., Abraham, Janette and Emma. Mr. P. has a fine farm of two hundred and forty acres, well improved, with good orchard, grove and buildings, the most of which he has made since coming here. He is honest and industrious, and is considered one of the best farmers of his township.
PENNELL, EDSON, of Pennell & Woods, livery, feed and sale stables, Lenox, is a native of Ontario county, New York, born in 1832. He was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1863 he moved to Michigan, remained one year, then came to Clarke county, Iowa, and engaged in sheep raising. He returned to Michigan in 1866, and three years later became a resident of this county and engaged in raising stock. May 6, 1881, he commenced his present business. He was married in Michigan November 2, 1862, to Miss Jennie Bray, a native of New Jersey. They are the parents of three children: Fenella, Hattie and Alvira, all living. Mr. Pennell's great-grandmother on his mother's side, was a niece of John Hancock of revolutionary fame. He and his partner are both gentlemen in the fullest sense, and the firm is doing a thriving business.
PHILLIPS, S. N., farmer, section thirty-four, post-office Lenox, is a native of Connecticut, born in 1832. He there attained his majority and received a liberal common school education. In 1854 he became a resident of Bureau county, Illinois, and remained in that county until 1863, when he crossed the plains, stopped in Nevada and engaged in the freight business. After remaining there three years, he returned to Vernon county, Missouri, located on a farm and engaged in stock raising. Went from there to Kansas, and in the fall of 1878 came to Taylor county and located on his present farm of eighty acres. In 1859 he was united in marriage with Miss Kate Woods, a native of Indiana. They have two children: Florence L. and Prentice.
PORTER, W. L., farmer, section one, post-office Lenox, born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, in 1834, there grew to manhood and received (page 790) his education. In 1855 he went to Warren county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. In 1862 he returned to the Keystone State, remained one year, then went back to Illinois and lived there until 1877. In the last named year he came to Iowa, locating in Adams county. He became a resident of this county in 1880, and located on his present farm of eighty acres. In 1867 he was married to Miss Annie Gensimore, a native of Pennsylvania. >From this union there are six children: Cora M., Elmer L., Laura E., Clara M., Eva M., and Frank J. On January 16, 1881, Mrs. P. departed this life, having been a tender mother and devoted companion. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Porter is also a member of that church, and is connected with the Masonic fraternity.
REED, J. H., Sr., farmer and stock-raiser, section two, post-office Lenox, born in Muskingum county, Ohio, in 1826. While there he received his education and learned the shoemaker's trade. In 1852 he left his native State and emigrated to Oregon, locating in Oregon City, where he worked at his trade for a time, then went to California and engaged in mining and fighting Indians. He remained in that State until the fall of 1863, then returned to the Buckeye State via the Isthmus of Panama. Came to Iowa in 1856, entered land in Union county, and improved a farm of two hundred acres. Remained there until 1879, when he came to Taylor county and located on his present farm. In 1851 he was united in marriage to Miss Adaline B. Hurd, a native of the green Mountain state. They were the parents of one child, James H., now a resident of this township. Mrs. R. died in 1855, and two years later our subject married Miss Damaris J. Bliss, also of Virginia. >From this union there are nine children: Orlando, J. C. Fremont, William, Emma, Thurman, Demaris, David B., Sarah L. and Hattie A. Subject owns a beautiful farm of six hundred and ten acres which he has admirably improved. Has good buildings, fine orchard of two hundred apple and eighty peach trees, and unquestionably possesses one of the finest stock farms in Taylor county. He is a member of the M. E. Church.
REES, Rev. JAMES M. (retired), section five, post-office Lenox, was born in Union county, Pennsylvania, in 1836. When twelve years of age his parents moved to Freeport, Illinois, where young Rees grew to manhood and received a common school education. Read law for a time then attended a commercial college at Rockport, Illinois. In 1867 he entered the Missionary Institute at Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, and graduated from that institute in June, 1871. He was ordained minister in the Evangelical Lutheran Church; returned to Illinois after a short time and took charge of a field in Mills county, Iowa. Was located at Hastings three years then (page 791) went to Clinton county and took charge of a field at Elvira one year. He then moved to Green county, Wisconsin, serving three and a half years when he was obliged to resign his pastorate on account of ill health. After traveling in Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa he came to this county and located on his present farm of 160 acres. He was married March 30, 1873 to Miss Mary, daughter of Rev. Francis Plumb, of the M. E. Church, and a native of Lincolnshire, England. They have four children: Birdie O., Aimie C., Maud M. and Leslie E. Mr. Rees is still a member of the Synod of Northern Illinois.
REEVE, GEO., farmer and stock-grower, section two, post-office Lenox, a native of Kentucky, was born in 1827. When three years old his parents moved to Indiana, and there on the prairies of the Hoosier State our subject was reared and given a common school education. In 1855 he came west and settled in Henry county, Iowa; remained there a quarter of a century engaged in farming. Came to this county in 1880 and purchased his present farm of 120 acres. In 1848 Miss E. V. Dancer, of Indiana, became his bride. They are the parents of twelve children: Wm. H., J. S., R. W., A. R., Lena A. (wife of J. J. Thorp), Nora A. (wife of W. Sanderson), J. H., Adah M., Otis D., G. W., Carrie E. One is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Reeve are members of the M. E. Church, and are respected by all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance.
RHONDENBAUGH, E. E., farmer, section three, post-office Lenox. The subject was born in Union county, Pennsylvania, in 1839. Moved at an early age to Northumberland county where he grew to manhood and received a common school education. He moved to Illinois in 1859, and located in Mercer county where he engaged in mining; remaining there a short time he then went to Henry county of that State, and in the spring of 1874 came to Taylor county, Iowa, locating where he now resides. In 1865 Miss Elmira J. Mercer, of Ohio, became his wife. Mr. R. possesses a good farm of 160 acres and, together with his excellent companion, enjoys the quiet of a nice and comfortable home.
SALSBURY, Dr. G. R., physician and surgeon, Lenox. Of the many enterprising young men of Taylor county, none are more worthy of notice than the subject. He is a native of Oswego county, New York, born July 12, 1850. His early years were spent on a farm, where he tilled the soil and attended school. After becoming sufficiently well informed he commenced teaching and engaged principally in that business for eight years. He also engaged in the excursion business, and was known throughout the Empire State as "the young excursionist." In 1876 he ran an excursion train from Central New York to Niagara Falls, and in the operation (page 792) cleared eighteen hundred dollars. He chartered another train and carried passengers from Niagara Falls to the centennial at Philadelphia, and cleared a handsome sum. In 1871 he entered college at Oberlin, Ohio, remained in that institution three years, then went to Vermont and attended Middlebury College one year, after which he entered the medical department of the University of the City of New York, graduating from that institution in 1878. He then came west, located in Lenox and commenced the practice of medicine. The doctor, though young, is perhaps as well read as any M. D. in southwestern Iowa. Since graduating in one of the best medical institutions in the east he has passed the required examination of the Commission of Pharmacy for the State of Iowa; received a diploma from that body and is now a registered pharmacist. He now enjoys a good practice and commands the respect of all who know him.
SANFORD, A., farmer, section twenty-eight, post-office Lenox, was born in Herkimer county, New York, in 1850. While young he moved with his parents to Illinois and settled in McDonough county, where he attained to manhood and received a good education. In 1864 he enlisted in company D, One-hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois, served six months and was discharged at Memphis, Tennessee, returned home and reenlisted in company A, Eleventh Illinois cavalry and served until the close of the war. Served as body guard for generals Smith and Morgan. Was mustered out at Springfield and again returned to his home. In 1873 he came to Ringgold county, Iowa and engaged in farming. Four years later he became a resident of this county, locating where he now lives. He was married in 1871 to Miss Lydia Crandal, a native of Ohio, and a very excellent lady. Mr. S. now has a farm of eighty acres and a pleasant home.
SCROGGS, Dr. J. P., physician, surgeon and druggist, Lenox; born in Pennsylvania December 9, 1850. At the age of six his parents became residents of McDonough county, Illinois, where young Scroggs attained his majority and acquired a liberal common school education. He then engaged in teaching for three years, and in the fall of 1870 commenced the study of medicine with Dr. H. B. Livermore, a noted physician and surgeon of that county. He subsequently entered St. Louis Medical College and graduated from that institution in the spring of 1874. He then returned to his native State and commenced the practice of medicine at Colchester with marked success. The doctor came to Lenox in 1874 and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Although eminently successful in the practice of medicine our subject has won his greatest laurels in the art of surgery. He is of a race of surgeons, his ancestors being noted for their skill in that branch of the science. He was married at Palmyra, Missouri (page 793), October 26, 1875, to Miss Jane Doney, a native of the Keystone State. They have three children: Margaretta, Helen and Fanny. The doctor is a member of the A. F. & A. M., also a member of the M. E. Church, and is at present treasurer of that association.
THOMPSON, C. H., agriculturist, Lenox, a native of Ripley county, Indiana, was born April 25, 1849, and spent his youth in agricultural pursuits and in acquiring an education. At the age of fourteen, he, with his parents, moved to Buchanan county, Iowa, where young Thompson grew to manhood. In the fall of 1875 he came to Taylor county, and has since made it his home. Subject was married in Scott county, Iowa, in April, 1873, to Miss M. E. Vanwinkle, a native of Pennsylvania. They are the parents of one child, William P., born July 16, 1875. Mr. T., although comparatively young, is a number one business man, and commands the confidence and respect of all who know him. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and at present holds the worthy position of N. G. of Lenox Lodge.
VAN HOUTEN, GEO., farmer and stock-raiser, section nineteen, Lenox…. is a native of Atchison county, Missouri; was born February 24, 1847. While yet a child his father, John H. W. Van Houten, moved to Madison county, Iowa. >From there he went to Cass county in the spring of 1853, and two years later became a resident of Taylor county. His father died in Adams county in 1863. His mother is yet living and resides in Fremont county, this State. He was married December 23, 1866 to Miss Salina A. Jincks, a native of Pennsylvania. They are the parents of seven children: Darthula, Orzo, Marge, Martel, Vernon, Ahi J., and Arthur. January 4, 1864, he enlisted in company E, Fourth Missouri cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He now resides about two and a half miles south of the flourishing village of Lenox, and is engaged in agricultural and horticultural pursuits. His nursery contains a general variety of all the fruits adapted to this climate, and presents a tasty and systematic appearance. He has a large farm well improved with good buildings, fences, etc. Mr. V. is district deputy of P. of H., and is also a member of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. fraternities. He has always taken great interest in the schools and churches of the county and is also an earnest worker in the cause of temperance.
WALLS, DAVID, farmer, post-office Lenox, was born on Prince Edward Island in 1824, and there grew to manhood and cultivated his intellectual powers in the common schools. Emigrated to the United Sates in 1850, locating in Wisconsin where he remained for a quarter of a century. He came to Taylor county in 1875, purchased 160 acres of land which he has improved and made into a valuable farm. In 1852 he married Miss Margaret Bernard (page 794), also a native of Prince Edward Island. From this union there are six children: William A., James T., David J., John W., George E. and Myrie J. Subject and lady are members of the United Presbyterian Church.
WHERRY, J. T., dealer in general merchandise, Lenox….was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, November 17, 1829. His early life was spent on a farm, during which time he received a high school education, and afterward taught school for eight years. In 1856 he came to Iowa, locating in Cedar county. Here in 1861 he engaged in the mercantile business, pursuing it until 1875, at which time he came to this county and purchased a half section of land, one half mile east of Lenox, on which he resided for one year, when he resumed the mercantile business in Bedford, and in the following October returned to Lenox and established his present business. He was married in Cedar county in 1857, his wife being Miss Hannah M. Bratton, a most estimable lady, also born in Guernsey county, Ohio, in the year 1839. They are the parents of six children: Calvin C., James W., M. M. Eva, Adell A., Tolbert F. and John L.; all living and residents of this county. Mr. Wherry is well known in this county and elsewhere, and is recognized by all as a man of integrity and sterling worth, jovial and courteous in manner, and takes great interest in schools and churches. He has just completed one of the finest residences in Taylor county.
WHITE, H. H., blacksmith, wagon and buggy manufacturer, and general repair shops, Lenox….a native of the Empire State, was born July 14, 1846. He was reared and educated in his native State. On October 23, 1861, he enlisted in company H, Twenty-third infantry volunteers, and served the unexpired term of that regiment, May 22, 1863. In January following he reenlisted in the Fifteenth New York cavalry volunteers, and served as first duty-sergeant until the close of the war, or August 9, 1865, participating in the battles of second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg and all others in which his regiment was engaged. When the war was over he returned to his home and remained until September, 1865, then went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he made his home for three years, then came to this State, locating at Independence. He became a resident of Lenox in January, 1873, and established his present business. He is a number one mechanic, and has in his employ some as good workmen as there are in the State. His work gives the best of satisfaction, being first-class both in style and durability. He was married in 1869 to Miss Isora E. Winkley, a native of New Hampshire. They have no children. He is a member of Tremont Lodge No. 343, A. F. & A. M., Eureka Chapter No. 77, and Bethany Commandery No. 29, Creston, Iowa.
WILSON, C. W., grocer, provision dealer and restauranteur, Lenox., a native of Ohio, was born July 31, 1845. He was reared to manhood in the Buckeye State, and spent his time in tilling the soil and attending school. In 1861 he answered the call for troops by enlisting in company E, Fifty-ninth Ohio infantry volunteers, and served three years, participating in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Kenesaw, Missionary Ridge, Atlanta and Stone River, where he was wounded and taken prisoner. He was confined in Libby Prison six months, then exchanged and again took his position in his company and engaged in all the battles in which his regiment took part. Mr. Wilson was a faithful soldier and has a record of which he may well be proud. After the war was over he returned to Ohio, visited the "old folks at home" about one year, then crossed the plains, stopped in Wyoming Territory three years, and returned to the States and located in Nodaway county, Missouri. While there he married Miss Mary Carnett, a native of that State. He came to Lenox in 1874, and four years later established his present business with a capital of forty dollars. He now owns a good business house, and has ample means to carry on his present employment.
WILT, J. M., farmer and stock-raiser, section twelve, post-office Lenox, was born in Darke county, Ohio, in 1832. There arrived at manhood and was educated in the common schools and academies. He followed farming and came to Iowa in 1857, locating in Clarke county, and engaged in breaking prairie. In 1861 he came to Taylor county and settled on his present farm. Mr. W. related many interesting incidents of the early settlement of this county. At one time he with two other gentlemen, set out for Queen City to mill, got lost on the prairies and after wandering for some time and nearly freezing, found a house and stopped for the night. Next morning they returned home leaving the grist. Going back the following Monday they went to the mill and were informed that if one of their number would stay and run the engine they could have the meal by the next Friday. One remained while the others returned to their homes. Our subject went ten miles to borrow meal to live on until his friend returned. He purchased a hand-mill and for a time ground his own meal. Salt at that time was $8.35 per barrel; hogs sold at from $1.50 to $2.50 per hundred. He was married in 1856 to Miss Catharine Hamilton, a native of Ohio. They have six children: Hassius M., Samuel P., Eli U. S., Harry, Frank and Dora. When Mr. Wilt came to Iowa he had an ax and nineteen dollars and twenty-five cents in money. He now owns 340 acres of well improved land, fine house and barn, large orchard and a forest of about ten acres. His is one of the nicest homes in Taylor county.
WOODS, H. B., proprietor of fee-stable and livery line, also marshal of the city of Lenox, a native of Indianapolis, Indiana, and was born December 13, 1830. When four years old his parents moved to Kosciusko county of that State where our subject remained until he was seventeen, then went to Bureau county, Illinois, and resided there until the breaking out of the war. He enlisted April 6, 1861, in company H, Twelfth Illinois infantry volunteers; served two years and was discharged on account of physical disabilities. He returned to his old home and remained two years, then visited the gold fields of California and Colorado, remaining on the Pacific slope four years. He then returned to the States, and in 1868 located in this county, where he has since remained. His early youth was spent in agricultural pursuits, not having an opportunity of gaining more than a common school education. Mr. Woods was married in Illinois, in 1863, to Miss Elizabeth Knox, a native of Pennsylvania. They are the parents of five children, four of whom are now living: Elmer E., Katie, Franklin and Derbin. Mrs. Woods died June 10, 1878, her remains being interrred in the cemetery at Conway. Mr. Woods is a man respected by all who know him. He is connected with the A. F. & A. M. Lodge, No. 343.