Taylor County, Iowa History 1881 by Lyman Evans
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: firstname.lastname@example.org)
When "Ret" Clarkson, the gifted editor of the Des Moines Register, was in New York he was asked how Iowa managed to roll up an 80,000 Republican majority! to which he gave the answer: "By building school-houses within a mile of each other." "And that's the truth," as the Burlington Hawk-Eye says, Iowa is studded with school-houses as the sky is with the stars, and consequently her politics glisten as do the stars." This is well put, although it isn't the province of this work to have a political choice. But certain it is, that where a people are well educated, there will (page 608) be better and more enlightened politics. Nodaway township comes in this category. Its politics ought to be the very best if educational advantages are helps. Few townships in the State are better supplied with teachers and school-houses.
The first settlers of Nodaway township were John B. Henshaw, John B. West, Mr. Dodson, Washington Inerick, James Foster, E. J. Spalding, Fletcher Brown and Peter Guerney.
John B. Henshaw and Mr. Dodson have long since gone to try their fortunes in an unknown land. Isaac B. West died after a lingering illness of many months, during which he endured death hundreds of times. He was afflicted with "bone erysipelas" of the leg. His physicians tried to save it for him. His soul revolted against losing it. But amputation became so evident a necessity even to himself that he consented to the operation. The shock killed him. At one time he was very wealthy, owning a large tract of land in Nodaway township.
The first school taught in the township was at the Isaac B. West house, on section 7. James Foster was the teacher. A dozen years ago he was well known in this and adjoining counties. He is now a resident of Nebraska.
The East Nodaway River runs down the west side of the township. It abounds in fish, and furnishes excellent water-power. Its bluffs are covered with timber. Coal beds are plentiful in sections 21 and 29. The veins are eighteen inches in depth, and are of the first deposit. Underneath lie inexhaustible supplies which will be brought to the light of day ere many years. Thus far there has scarcely been an effort made to reach the deeper veins.
From January 1, 1877 to January 1, 1880, Nodaway township furnished a member of the county board of supervisors in the person of Mr. John Reeves. He was a most excellent officer and discharged his duties intelligently, and was honest and incorruptible.
These are the three church organizations in this township - two Methodists and one Second Adventist.
The Western Methodist Church meets at district school-house number 6. It came into existence about the year 1870. Among the original members were Mrs. Fletcher Brown, Mrs. James Gale, Mrs. R. V. Kelly and H. B. Hales and wife. Rev. J. P. Evans is the present pastor. In the past the church has been blessed with the faithful and energetic services of such men as Rev. Eberley, Rev. W. P. Bishop, Rev. Samuel Farlow and Rev. Kern. The church membership is forty, and it is aided by a thorough and efficient sabbath-school.
The Fairview Methodist Church was organized in 1874. Services are held at the district school-house number 8. The organization is about the same as the Western Church. It was started by a division of it. The membership is thirty-seven. A sabbath-school is connected therewith.
The Second Adventists have an organization at school-district number 9. Membership is twenty-five. It was organized in 1873. D. Q. Kent is the pastor.
ARBUCKLE, CELIA J., born in Madison county, August 23, 1830. Moved with her father, Benjamin Heaton, to Greene county where she lived several years and received a common school education. Was married May 13, 1850, to Nathan Edwards, a native of the Empire State. Resided in Greene county until 1855 when they came to Taylor county. Mr. Edwards departed this life January 16, 1866, leaving a family of five children: William, Benjamin, Lydia, Stillman and Charles; William is now deceased. Mrs. Edwards was again married in December, 1876, to John Arbuckle, a native of Scotland. They are located on a good farm of ninety acres, well improved, comfortable buildings, orchard, etc. Mrs. A. has been a church member nineteen years.
BURNSIDE, GEORGE, farmer, section twenty, post-office Villisca, was born in the Valley of Melhue, Scotland, March 8, 1833. His youth was spent in attending school and working in the coal mines of his native country. He sailed for America June, 1868, and in July following arrived on the shores of the western Atlantic. Was married December 13, 1855, to Elizabeth Bryson, of Arondale parish, Scotland. From this union there are seven children: Jesse, Margaret, Lizzie, William, Ella, Belle and May. In the summer of 1868 subject came to Taylor county and located on a farm of eighty acres. He now has a fine little farm, comfortable house, good orchard, etc. He opened the first coal mine in this county. Is a practical miner, having worked in the mines in Scotland from his youth. Mr. B. is a Presbyterian.
COMBS, J. T., farmer, section thirty-five, post-office Holt, was born in Loudoun county, Virginia, September 7, 1835. When six years old his parents moved to Morgan county, Ohio, where our subject grew up on a farm and received a limited education. Removed to Henry county, Illinois, in (page 764) 1863, and a decade later came to Taylor county. Was married January 22, 1858, to Miss Keziah McDonald, of Morgan county, Ohio. They are the parents of six children: Sarah Jane, now Mrs. A. C. Davis; Joseph E., Sevilla, Francis Marion, Edward, and Melvin. He owns a fine farm of 200 acres, well improved, fine house, commodious barns and an excellent orchard. He is engaged in farming and stock-growing. Is a member of the Lodge 254, I. O. O. F., Hawleyville.
COPLAIN, WILLIAM, farmer, section thirty, post-office Villisca, was ushered into this life January 20, 1818, in Perry county, Ohio. While quite young his father, William Coplain, emigrated to Decatur county, Indiana, resided there about twelve years, then moved to Shelby county, where our subject attained his majority. His early days were spent on a farm and in attending the common schools. He commenced the carpenter's trade when sixteen and followed that business in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Missouri, for twenty-five years. Was in the hotel business at Waynesville, Illinois, four years, during which time President Lincoln was his guest several days. In the fall of 1852 he came to Taylor county. His farm was the first one improved in this township. Clarinda at that time had but one cabin. Bedford was unknown. Where now wave the ripening fields of grain there was a wild waste pressed only by the wolf, deer and other animals of this climate, and the smoke of the red man had not ceased to ascend from the valleys. After Mr. C. had paid for his claim he had just ten cents left and had considerable family to support, but with a stout arm and imperturbable will, he braved the hardships of pioneer life and is now reaping the reward. He was married May 15, 1845, to Miss Rosanna Baker, of Selby county, Indiana. They were the parents of nine children. Five are living: William M., Sarah Missouri, Alice, Charles and Arabella. Mrs. C. died November 20, 1876. Subject was again married June 21, 1877, to Miss Amanda E. Stonebreaker, of Page county, this State. He is now located on a fine farm of 200 acres and is one of the most substantial farmers of the county. Is a member of the Christian Advent Church.
DAVIS, LEVI, farmer, section thirty-six, post-office Holt, was born in Noble county, Ohio, November 22, 18__. His youth was passed on a farm, and when eighteen he commenced carpentering, and has engaged in that business most of the time since. He enlisted in September, 1862, in company E, Ninety-second Ohio infantry and served until the close of the war. Participated in the battles of Chickamagua, Mission Ridge, Atlanta and others of minor importance. Was discharged at Columbus, Ohio, in July, 1865, and at once returned to his home in Noble county. In the spring of the following year he moved to Appanoose county, Iowa, and four years later came to this county. Miss Deliah Hickle, of Noble county, Ohio, became his bride in January, 1859. Four children have blessed their union: Emma V., Eli A., Alma Anna and Daisy Olive. Mr. Davis is the owner of 160 acres of land well improved, good house and barn, an orchard of 150 trees. He is connected with the Masonic order.
FULLER, N. R., farmer, section twenty-seven, post-office Villisca, a child of the Bay State, was born in Berkshire county, August 14, 1837. When quite young his parents moved to Litchfield county where our subject lived nine years, then went to Wisconsin. In August, 1862, he enlisted in company E, Twenty-eighth Wisconsin infantry, Col. Lewis commanding. Took part in the engagement at Ft. Pemberton where for five days they were under a raking fire, also in the capture of Little Rock, Spanish Fort and others of minor importance. Was discharged September 22, 1865, at Madison, Wisconsin, and returned to his home in Jefferson county. Came to Iowa two years later, locating in this county, and was the first settler on the "Ridge". Subject was married in May, 1867, to Miss Louisa Ferguson, of Hebron, Jefferson county, Wisconsin. From this union there are two children: Harry and Maud; the latter is deceased. He is located on a farm of 120 acres of excellent land; has a fine residence with a beautiful yard, also an orchard containing 150 bearing trees and a superabundance of small fruits. In politics Mr. Fuller is a Democrat. He has held many offices of his township, and is one of the most popular men of Taylor county. Subject and lady are members of the M. E. Church.
GILLMORE, D. H., farmer, section thirty-three, post-office Hawleyville, a native of the Emerald Isle, was born in County Sligo in December, 1845. His father being deceased, he immigrated with his mother to America when four years of age, and chose for their home Springfield, Illinois. There he arrived at man's estate and received an excellent education in the schools of that city. In 1863 he enlisted but was not accepted on account of his age. When eighteen he commenced the carpenter trade, served five years; taught school several terms, and in the spring of 1873 came to Taylor county. One year previous to his coming to this State he was united in marriage with Miss Emma J. Cheney of Springfield, Illinois. Of their children three are living: John David, Cecelia K. and William A., two are deceased: Thomas and an infant. Subject is located on a farm of 245 acres, and owns a good house, barn, orchard, etc. He is a member of the Masonic order, Clarinda Lodge No. 140.
GUSS, WILLIAM, farmer, section fourteen, post-office Villisca, a native of the Keystone State, was born in Perry county, May 3, 1828. Moved with his parents to Juniata county when ten years of age, and there grew (page 766) to manhood. At nineteen he moved to Peoria county, Illinois, and remained there one year when he went to La Salle County. Came to Iowa in 1873, and located in Taylor county. Subject was married November 10, 1853, to Mrs. Elizabeth A. Reed, relict of Dr. T. W. Reed, and formerly Miss Sharples, of Belmont county, Ohio. She is the mother of seven children: Henry W., Charles F., Sarah L., Ada M., William H., Nettie E. and L. V. N. J. They are located on a good farm of 315 acres well improved with comfortable house and other buildings. They are consistent members of the M. E. Church. Dr. Reed was born July 3, 1818, in Ohio county, Virginia. He was the first husband of Mrs. Guss. They were married in Illinois, August 6, 1845, and three years later the doctor departed this life. He was a man of more than ordinary ability, and eminently successful as a practitioner.
HELLER, J., farmer, section twenty-nine, post-office Villisca, was born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, September 2, 1832. When nine years of age his father, Jacob Heller, moved to Crawford county, Ohio, where our subject grew to manhood. At fourteen he commenced the weaver's trade, served four years and at twenty commenced learning the mason's trade, which he has followed at times since. September 3, 1854, he left his native county for the West; reached Taylor county in the following month, having been on the road forty-eight days. There were only three or four settlers in this township at the time of his coming and trading was mostly done at St. Joseph, Missouri. Was married November 18, 1852, to Miss Emeline Peterman, of Ohio. Of their children eleven are living: Edna E., William R., Violet A., Ida May, John A., Ina E., Alice J., Martha E., David F., Edward J., and Emma L. Two, Jacob and Laura are deceased. Mr. H has a fine farm of ninety acres, with necessary improvements for a comfortable home. He is a man of ability, strict integrity and an excellent neighbor. He and his wife are church members.
KELLEY, R. V., farmer, section thirty-four, post-office Hawleyville, a native of Orange county, New York, was born November 5, 1840. The first twelve years of his life were spent in his native county. In 1852 he moved with his father, Robert Kelley, to Steuben county, same State, remained there for a time then went to Canada. Remained in Her Majesty's dominions one year then returned to the States and settled in Carroll county, Illinois. One year later our subject returned to Steuben county, New York, where he attended the schools of Bath six years, after which he entered Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, and attended one term. Feeling that his country needed his aid he enlisted in August, 1862, in company K, Tenth Ohio cavalry, Col. Smith commanding. During the winter of 1863-4 he (page 767) was detailed as a scout under Col. Palmer of the Ninth Pennsylvania cavalry. In the following March, he was ordered to report to his regiment and was detailed as receiving clerk and scout under Gen. Kilpatrick. At Reseca, where the general was severely wounded, subject assisted him from his horse and conducted him to the rear. Was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He was discharged at Columbus, Ohio, after having served faithfully three years. He then went to Minnesota, thinking to settle there, but not liking the country returned as far as Chicago and remained there during the winter of 1865-6. He then went to Kansas but not liking that country returned to Iowa and decided to make Taylor county his home. Was married February 4, 1868, to Mrs. Isabelle Flemken of this county. They have four children: Laura Jane, George W., John A. and Eliza Belle. Subject has a large farm of 585 acres mostly in cultivation, with a fine residence surrounded with shade and ornamental trees, commodious barn, and large orchard. He is now engaged in growing stock. Mr. and Mrs. K are members of the M. E. Church.
LEMLEY, G. O., farmer, section twenty-nine, post-office Villisca, was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, November 12, 1838. Remained in his native State until thirty years of age. He was raised on a farm and received a liberal education. In 1861 he engaged in the mercantile business at Davis county, Pennsylvania. Continued in that occupation seven years, then disposed of his interests and came to this county. In August, 1860, he was married to Miss Phoebe Ann Swan, also a native of Pennsylvania. Four children have blessed their union: Leisure S., Cidaty, Ida May, and John William. Mr. Lemley is located on as good a stock farm as there is in southwestern Iowa. It contains 562 acres, and there are three strong springs which furnish his farm and yards with an abundance of water. He also has timber, rock and coal on his farm. His residence is situated in a beautiful natural grove and is one of the finest in the township. Has a commodious barn and other buildings. Subject is extensively engaged in stock-feeding, also deals in fine stock. His sales for the year 1880 amounted to nearly eleven thousand dollars. Mr. L. is a man of industry and possesses more than ordinary business qualifications. He and his lady are members of the M. E. Church.
MOATS, H. B., farmer, section fourteen, post-office Villisca, a native of West Virginia, was born in Ritchie county, July 3, 1850. When five years old his mother died and his father emigrated to Des Moines county, Iowa, where our subject was educated and followed the healthful vocation of farming. In 1874 he moved to Henry county and two years later came to Taylor county, where he has since remained. Was married in March, 1876 to (page 768) Miss Alice Hamill, a lady of great culture, and daughter of John Hamill…. They have three children: Lotta G., Mattie B. (deceased), and Estley. Mr. Moats has a fine farm of eighty acres in a high state of cultivation, with good buildings and an orchard of 200 trees. Subject has a good knowledge of music and has taught singing-school several terms. Both he and his wife are members of the M. E. Church and are esteemed by those with whom they are associated.
McMILLIN, T. A., farmer, section three, post-office Nodaway, was born in the Buckeye State, October 28, 1824. While quite young his parents moved to Montgomery county, Indiana, where he grew to manhood and acquired a liberal education. He also engaged at milling, which business he followed until thirty years of age. Subject was united in marriage with Miss Susan M. Smith, of Fountain county, Indiana. To them were born eleven children: Alice, Allen, Amanda, Alexander S. S., Angelina, Aurea, Boner S., are living: Arthur, Thomas R., Mary E., and ______, are deceased. Mr. M. came to Taylor county in 1854, being one of the first settlers in the county. He departed this life January 15, 1880, leaving behind an interesting family and large circle of friends to mourn his loss. His family reside on a large farm of six hundred and seventy acres, well improved, good house, barn, and other buildings. The farm is being conducted by Allen, eldest son of the deceased, and a young man of good habits and excellent business qualifications. Theirs is one of the best farms in the township.
MOATS, GEO., farmer, section twenty-two, post-office Villisca. Born in West Virginia, February 16, 1826. Remained in his native State twenty-eight years. Received his education in the subscription schools of that State. In 1854 he came to Iowa and located in Des Moines county. Became a resident of Taylor county in 1875, and has since made it his home. Was married in December, 1847, to Miss Elizabeth Ireland, a native of Tyler county, Virginia. She departed this life in June, 1855, leaving four children: Eliza Jane, H. B., Laura Dora, and Elizabeth Ann. Subject was again married in 1856, to Miss M. C. Wigner. From this union there are eleven children: Spencer, Mary Alice, Clara Belle, Harland, Ortus E., Emma, Maggie G., Willie, Alva and Alpha (twins), and Bertie. Mr. M. has one hundred and twenty acres of a farm, with good orchard, etc. He and wife are members of the M. E. Church.
NICHOLS, R. J., farmer, section thirty-six, post-office Holt, was born in Essex county, New Jersey, February 9, 1827. Was there reared and received a limited education in the common schools. In 1855 he became a (page 769) resident of Warren county, Illinois, and there engaged in the mercantile business three years, then followed agricultural pursuits. Came to Taylor county in 1873, and has since made it his home. In 1850 Miss Margaret Fountain, of Staten Island, New York, became his wife. They were the parents of one child, Margaret. One year after their marriage Mrs. Nichols died, leaving her little one in the care of a bereaved husband. Two years later our subject was married to Jane E. Ackerman, of Bergen county, New Jersey. They have nine children: Ida Kate, Mary E., Joseph, Margaret V., Lewis, Gertrude A., Jennie, Fred J., John F. Mrs. N. departed this life April 25, 1873. Subject has a farm of two hundred acres which is well adapted to stock growing in which he is now engaged. He is a worthy member of the Presbyterian Church.
PATTON, WILLIAM, section 18, post-office Villisca, is a native of Scotland, born in Ayrshire, September 22, 1830. Was there raised and educated. In the spring of 1851 he emigrated to Canada; stopped at Montreal, where he resided about four years. He then came to the United States, stopped in Ohio for a time, and in 1856 came to this county. Shortly after coming here he entered eighty acres of land and commenced making a home. Was married June 28, 1851, to Miss Ellen Bryson, also a native of Scotland. Of their children eight are living: Jane, John, Mary, William, Nellie, Dora, Cora and Arthur. Three; Jannette, Jennie and Annie, are deceased. Mr. P. now has a good farm of one hundred and forty-seven acres in good cultivation, comfortable house and other buildings. He embraced religion in 1859, and united with the M. E. Church. Three years later he joined the Christian Adventists, and in 1874 was ordained minister of the gospel in that church.
PIERCE, G., farmer, section eight, post-office Villisca, is a native of the Empire State; was born in Erie county June 18, 1837. Subject was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools. Came to Taylor county in the spring of 1868, and has since made it his home. He was united in marriage July 4, 1860, to Miss Jane Mallory, also a native of New York. They were the parents of five children: Carrie, Ellen, Grace, Herbert and Lewis. Mrs. Pierce died March 28, 1876. Subject was again married June 5, 1879 to Susan Stebens of this county. Mr. P. now owns 160 acres of land, well improved, good house, barn and an orchard of two and one-half acres. He is a kind father and good neighbor, and a gentleman in every respect. Mr. and Mrs. P. are worthy members of the Christian Advent Church.
REEVES, JNO., farmer, section twenty-six, post-office Villisca, was born in Pennsylvania, April 27, 1840. When four years of age his parents (page 770) moved to Washington county, where our subject remained until 1856. He then removed to La Salle County, Illinois, where he attained his majority, and received a good common school education. Came to this State in November, 1868, located in Page county, and six years later came to Taylor county, and settled on his present farm. Was married in January, 1874, to Miss Frances Reed, of La Salle county, Illinois, but a native of the Empire State. They are the happy parents of three children: Olive, Myra and James Harrison. Mr. K. has a good farm of 160 acres, and is extensively engaged in stock growing. Has held the offices of justice of the peace, supervisor, etc., and is a genial whole-souled man.
SPAULDING, D. E., farmer, section two, post-office Brooks, was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, September 17, 1830. Was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools. In the spring of 1852 he crossed the plains and visited the gold fields of the Pacific Slope. Stopped in California and engaged in mining two years. He then returned to his native State and spent one year in roving about. Settled in Marshall county, and remained one year, then came to Iowa and located in Taylor county. Shortly after coming to this county he entered 160 acres of land and at once commenced transforming the raw prairie into a farm. He now owns 360 acres of as good a land as the county affords. Has it well improved with a fine residence and other buildings, groves of shade and ornamental trees and is engaged in growing stock. Subject was married in the spring of 1855 to Miss C. C. Kearns, of De Kalb county, Illinois, a very accomplished lady.
THAYER, JOSEPH, farmer, section five, post-office Nodaway, is a native of Ohio, born in Highland county, January 24, 1833. Was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In the spring of 1864 he came to this county and settled on his present farm. Was married January 22, 1852, to Demaris Blunt, also a native of the Hawkeye State. Four children have blessed their union: Winfield, Frank, Andrew and Hattie. Mr. T. is located on a farm of one hundred and eighty acres, good house and barn, orchard of two hundred trees and good grove of timber. He is a neat farmer, good neighbor and a pleasant man.
TOMLINSON, J., farmer, section six, post-office Villisca. Born in Rowan county, North Carolina, June 13, 1800. When six years of age his parents moved to Highland county, Ohio, and there young T. arrived at man's estate and received his education. His boyhood days were spent on a farm, where he developed his physical, as well as his mental powers. In 1859 he removed to Clinton county, resided there six years, then came to Iowa, located in Taylor county, and has since made it his home. Subject was married in July, 1828, to Miss Sallie West, a native of Pennsylvania. (Page 771) Six children have blessed their union: Charity, Barbara Ann, Sarah, Josiah, Creighton C. and Oliver. Mrs. Tomlinson died January 14, 1879. C. C., son of J. Tomlinson, was born in Highland county, Ohio, August 21, 1837. Spent the first twenty years of his life in agricultural pursuits and is attending school. Moved to Clinton county of this State with his father in 1857, and came to this county in 1865. He is now located on a fine farm of four hundred acres, well adapted to growing stock in which he is largely engaged.
VAN WERT, REUBEN, farmer, section eight, post-office Villisca, is a great-grandson of Isaac Van Wert, who captured Andre. He was ushered into this life April 29, 1843, in Geneseo county, New York. Was raised in a city and educated in its schools. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Eighth New York heavy artillery, and participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Coal Harbor, Spottsylvania, and Petersburgh. Was discharged in June, 1865, at Rochester, New York, and returned to his home. Remained in his native State one year, then went to Kansas, thence to Michigan, and finally came to this county in the spring of 1869. Was married in January, 1871, to Miss Sarah Ester, of Taylor county. There have been born to them three children: Wesley, Isaac and Laura. Mr. Van Wert has a good farm of one hundred and twenty acres, and is considered one of Nodaway township's most successful farmers. He and lady are members of the Christian Church.
WILCOX, NATHAN, farmer, section twenty-nine, post-office Villisca; born in Union county, Ohio, April 15, 1837. While quite young his parents moved to Indiana and remained in that State three years. Came to this county in 1856 and has since made it his home. Subject was raised on a farm and received a limited education in the common schools. In the spring of 1858 he was married to Miss Sarah Jane Broyles, a native of Missouri. From this union there are six children: Amanda, John Wesley, William Robert, Nancy Jane, Mary and George. Mr. W. owns a good eighty acre farm, has it well improved and is proprietor of the coal mine bearing his name. During the coal season of 1880-1 he took out 10,000 bushels.
WOODS, W. J., proprietor "Maplewood" farm, section nineteen, post-office Villisca; born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, August 15, 1806. Was there raised and educated, his youth being spent on a farm. When seventeen he commenced the cabinet trade, served an apprenticeship of four years, then established a shop of his own at West Greenville, Pennsylvania. Continued in business in that place until 1842 when he sold his interests and moved to Pike county, Illinois. In 1849 he became a resident of (page 772) Galesburg, same State, and engaged in the furniture business until November, 1854. He then became proprietor and publisher of the Galesburg Free Democrat, a neat four page paper and a fearless exponent of the rights of the colored race -- Mr. W. was an Abolitionist when it cost something to espouse that cause -- its motto, "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty." August 18, 1865, he disposed of his paper to J. H. Sherman, of that city. Two years previous a number of the leading citizens of Galesburg met at the residence of our subject for the purpose of organizing to establish an institution of learning (similar to Knox College) somewhere in Iowa. The college was located at College Springs or Amity and is now one of the most flourishing colleges in Iowa. Mr. Wood was one of the committee on location and selected that place because of its many natural advantages. He was once proprietor of that portion of Galesburg known as "Wood's Addition." In 1858 subject moved to College Springs, this State, and seven years later became a resident of Taylor county. Was married November 2, 1829, to Miss Sarah Mann, a native of the Keystone State. Of their children eight are living: Marietta, Newton, Addison, Narcissa, John Robert, Isaac, William P. and Welleston B., twins; one, Sarah J., is deceased. Mrs. Wood died August 16, 1875. "Mapleside," the home of Mr. Wood, is one of the most beautiful farms in Taylor county. He has a magnificent residence surrounded with shade and ornamental trees arranged in a very tasty manner.