Taylor County, Iowa History 1881 by Lyman Evans
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: firstname.lastname@example.org)
John H. Gear, governor of this State, says: "Iowa is the new Massachusetts in her care of education." The governor might have made his expression yet stronger by asserting that when all things are considered Massachusetts is far behind Iowa in the fostering care shown educational interests. Jefferson township is divided into independent school districts, of which there are six, as follows: Big Spring, Hope, Mormontown, Platte River, Platteville and Works.
The first gentlemen to settle in Jefferson township were Jesse Guyll, Frank Hindman, William P. Meddles, Andrew Baker, James Melser, James Martin, S. R. Martin, Price Thacker, and A. and Thomas Heaton, who located in the vicinity of Platteville. The first settlers in the neighborhood of Mormontown were Jonathan Cooksey, M.B. and P. J. Wisdom. Later settlers in the township were Isaac King, John King, Jacob Reed, Dr. J. R. Standley, John Flick, C. Swett, David Sleeth and Dr. Grover.
The first marriage in the township was that of Vance J. Wilson and Eliza Thompson. C. and Rebecca Swett were the parents who first rejoiced over (Page 597) a girl baby, whom they called Catharine. The first death was a Mrs. Moore, who was buried in Missouri. Dr. J. R. Standley and Dr. Grove were the first physicians located at Platteville. Dr. Grover went to Illinois. Dr. Standley still resides at Platteville. He has not practiced his profession for several years; his time is chiefly devoted to extensive farming, stock-raising, and speculations of various kinds, in which he has been quite successful. The first physician at Mormontown was Dr. A. White, who came from Delaware. Dr. G. W. Bellus, who is now located at Mormontown, came afterward.
Rev. J. M. Smith was the first Baptist clergyman. He preached at Morris's on Platte Branch, and a church was organized which did well for a time.
The Rev. J. P. Evans, who is now located at Hawleyville, came to Jefferson township in the interest of Methodism, and was the first preacher there of that denomination.
Rev. J. W. Bott was the first preacher at Mormontown.
At present there are but two religious denominations in the township, a Methodist at Platteville, and one at Mormontown. Until recently the Baptists had an organization at Platteville, and they are now without regular services.
The Platteville Methodists have a church edifice which was erected in 1873, at a cost of about two thousand dollars. The church has had for its pastors Rev. J. W. Botts, Rev. Lovejoy, Rev. DeTar, and Rev. T. P. Newland, who is the present pastor, and has been for two years past. The membership is sixty.
In 1865, about the time the Mormons left, the Methodists commenced having regular preaching, and an organization was effected at Mormontown. L. B. Hickenlooper and W. H. Norris were the starting members. It was under the Bedford charge until 1870. The different pastors have been Revs. Bott, Elliott, Himebaugh, Kern, Lovejoy, Randolph, DeTar and Rev. Burleigh. The membership is not large, only ten.
The Odd Fellows have a flourishing lodge at Mormontown, which D. D. G. M. Schram pronounces one of the most prosperous in southwestern Iowa. It is the Pleasant Valley Lodge No. 273, and was organized in 1874 by Sheriff Hugh White, of Ringgold county. The charter members were M. K. Norton, J. K. Parshall, J. H. Allyn, S. B. Hickenlooper, J. J. Stevenson, A. F. Stevens, C. G. Evans, Ambrose Dixon and J. R. Stevenson. The first officers were J. K. Parshall, N. G.; J. J. Stevenson, V. G.; J. H. Allyn, secretary; S. B. Hickenlooper, treasurer; S. E. Knox, R. S. N. G.; J. R. Stevenson, L. S. N. G.; C. G. Evans, W.; A. F. Severns, conductor, (Page 598) Park Skinner, R. S. S.; M. Wilson, L. S. S.; M. K. Norton, O. G.; A. White, I. G.; J. Stevenson, R. S. V. G, and Benjamin Burrell, L. S. V. G.
The present officers are G. R. Newton, N. G.; D. C. Stevenson, V. G.; G. W. Bellus, secretary; A. F. Severns; permanent secretary; J. J. Stevenson, treasurer, J. A. Stevenson, R. S. N. G.; Jesse Minor, L. S. N. G.; F. M. Wisdom, W.; W. P. Glendening, conductor; J. H. Beeson, R. S. S.; Vinson Reed, L. S. S.; John Stevenson, O. G.; M. J. Proctor, I. N. G.; James Gray, R. S. V. G., and C. G. Wilson, L. S. V. G. The present membership of the lodge is forty. It owns no hall, but has a very beautiful one fitted up over P. J. Wisdom's store.
Ciela Lodge No. 216, I. O. O. F., at Platteville, was organized by Hugh White, March 23, 1871. The charter members were as follows: D. H. Brown, T. J. Sutton, J. K. Parshall, J. I. Newton and J. M. Urie, with P. C. King, C. H. Finn, H. C. Hornback, Thomas Potter and J. G. Kinker the first initiates.
The first officers were J. I. Newton, N. G.; L. G. Parker, V. G.; J. M. Urie, secretary, and J. K. Parshall, treasurer.
The present officers are J. R. Standley, N. G.; H. A. Williams, V. G.; V. K. King, secretary, and Jacob Reed, treasurer.
The hall is a two story building owned in common with the Masons, and was built in 1878 at a cost of $1,000. The lower part is used for a store-room. The present membership of Ciela Lodge is about twenty-five.
Bethany Lodge No. 320, A. F. & A. M., is located at Platteville, and has a membership of thirty. It was instituted by R. O. Starling, of Bedford, in October, 1872. The charter members were: Daniel Propst, S. D. Hornback, Samuel White, Jacob Reed, F. L. Blakemore, John King, Jr., and William Large.
The first officers were: Daniel Propst, W. M.; S. D. Hornback, S. W.; Samuel White, J. W., and John King, Jr., secretary.
The present officers are: D. Propst, W. M.; J. C. Smalley, S. W.; M. Propst, J.W., and B. C. Anderson, secretary.
The lodge owns a hall in connection with the Odd Fellows, and is in a prosperous shape.
It will not do to omit a certain item of church history, and it will be proper to place it here before passing further into Jefferson township history: The Christians have an organization in the southeast corner of the township. The membership, however, is chiefly from Missouri. It was organized in 1874 with seven original members, and it now numbers one hundred and sixty-five. They have a neat chapel, worth $1,500. Elder (Page 599) William Cobb, of Bedford, has been the pastor from the date of its beginning. It is known as the Pleasant Ridge church.
Mormontown, the largest place in the township, is located on section 12, on Platte River. It was founded by about a dozen families of Mormons, who came from Fisher's Grove, Fremont county, in 1861. They remained there until 1865, and then removed to Fisher's Grove. They chose a lovely location in their selection of a site for a town. Than Mormontown, we know of no place in Iowa that strikes the fancy more pleasingly, and it is in as fine an agricultural district, that has the charm of beauty and picturesqueness, as can be found in the world. Irving and Goldsmith would have embalmed it in everlasting letters had they lived here. The Mormons built two mills while living in this place. One was a water-mill and the other a steam-mill. Neither are now standing, unless it be the ruins of one of them. Mormontown now has several excellent stores. It is, also, blessed with a fine flouring-mill, the property of Thomas King. It is located on the banks of Platte River, which furnishes it with power. P. J. Wisdom is the Nasby, and his office supplies a large country with its mails. Sid. Schram, of Mormontown, late county clerk and at present deputy sheriff, owns a large and valuable farm near town. In 1877, Mormontown had a newspaper, called The Motor, and published by M. A. Farr.
Platteville is located on what properly should be section 32 of Gay township. It is on the extreme south line, and for certain purposes it was long ago conceded to Jefferson township. It is a pleasant place, and is quite a trading-point. Dr. Standley is the leading genius of the place, owning over one thousand acres of finely improved land adjoining it. Jacob Reed, who lives two miles and a half southeast, is the possessor of about 1,500 acres of superior land. Captain John Flick, who was the hardest fighter the county sent to Dixie, has a valuable and large farm. There are many others, but this will suffice. The first school in the township was taught at Platteville; and, also, it was there the first school-building was put up. It was done by taxation, cost six hundred dollars, and was built by J. A. Evans. Thomas King was the first schoolmaster, at $20 per month. He had sixteen pupils. About the same time, or soon afterward, his brother, P. C. King, was teaching the first school at Mormontown. His wages were $30 per month, and his number of pupils about fifty-five. Mrs. Frank Hindman and Mrs. Spencer have the honor of being the first weavers.
In the very early days, in 1857 and 1858, provisions were procured at St. Joseph, and as there was no corn in the county, people were obliged to go to Platte county, Missouri, for it. This they were compelled to do over a country that had not the faintest symptom of a road. Captain John Flick (Page 600) and S. A. Fulton hauled the first loads of grain that went out of the township. They were of wheat, and were drawn to Savannah, Missouri.
July 4, 1855, the few people there were in the township became alarmed at the actions of the Indians, and anticipated a general massacre. It ended in the scare only. With two or three exceptions, they hastened to "Fort Parker," which was where Stephen H. Parker then resided. It is located in Clayton township, and now belongs to B. F. Martin.
ANDERSON, B. C., farmer, section ten, post-office Mormontown, born in Morgan county, New York, in 1838, where he grew to manhood and passed his youth in school. In April, 1861, he enlisted in company K, Twenty-eight New York. Served two years as a musician, participated in the battles of Winchester, Cedar Mountain, Antietam, Second Bull Run. Was discharged in 1863 on account of expiration of time, returned to New York, reenlisted in the Eighth New York heavy artillery and served until the close of the war. He took part in the battles of The Wilderness, Coal Harbor, Siege of Petersburg and Richmond. Was promoted from corporal to orderly sergeant and was discharged at New York City in 1865. Returning to his home he engaged in farming until 1866 when he came west and settled in Worth county, Missouri. While there he engaged in milling. Three years later he returned to the Empire State; remaining there five years he again sought the west and this time settled in Taylor county, Iowa. In 1866 he wedded Miss Mary Rybold, of Missouri. From this union there are six children; Eunice, Minnie, Clark, Mariett, Nellie and Maud. Subject is connected with the I. O. O. F. and A. F. and A. M. orders.
BABSON, J. E., druggist, Mormontown, is a native of Rhode Island, born in 1833. He there received a common school education and learned (page 725) the painter's trade. In 1856 he emigrated to Illinois and made that his home until 1871. Enlisted in 1862 in the Thirty-first Wisconsin, and served three years. Participated in the battles of Marretta, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Allesborro, Bentonville, besides others of minor importance; was with Sherman on his march to the sea and at Washington during the grand review of the armies. Was discharged at Madison, Wisconsin, and there engaged in farming. Came to Franklin county, Iowa in 1871 and tilled the soil a half decade. Then came to Mormontown and engaged in the drug business. He has since added a stock of groceries and implements. Was married in Wisconsin in 1857 to Miss Emaline Williamson. They have two children: Burton and Dora Etta. Mr. B. has also a farm of eighty acres in section twenty-four. He is now doing a good business and has the respect and esteem of his fellow men.
BLAKEMORE, FRANK, section eight, post-office Platteville; born in Fayette county, Ohio, in 1842; received a common school education. At the first call for troops he enlisted in the Twenty-second Ohio and served four months with Gen. Schenck in West Virginia. Was discharged at Marietta, Ohio; returned home, remained about two weeks, then enlisted in the Fifty-fourth Ohio Zouaves and participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing and Corinth, where he was taken sick and sent back to Cincinnati. Here he was discharged on account of disability. After remaining at home for four months he again enlisted as a recruit in the first Ohio cavalry. Was in the engagement at Cullpepper, Virginia. Then went with Gen. Kilpatrick to Tennessee, where he took part in the battle of Nashville under Thomas. Thus he deserves much credit for services rendered in the dark and trying hours of the rebellion. At the close of the war he returned home and engaged in the dry goods business for two years. Then came to Taylor county, Iowa, and settled on his present farm. In 1872 he was married to Miss A. K. Dodge, who was born in Danvers, Massachusetts, in 1845. After graduating at New London, New Hampshire, she engaged in teaching at Indianapolis until the time of her marriage. They are the parents of two children: Fannie D. and Puss P. The farm consists of 240 acres and is in good cultivation. Mr. B. is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
BELLUS, Dr. G. W., physician and surgeon, Mormontown. Prominent in the medical fraternity of this county we find the subject. He was born in Middlebury, Vermont in 1838. When three years of age his parents removed to St. Lawrence county, New York, where our subject grew to maturity, and received his education in the St. Lawrence Academy at Pottsdam. He learned the carpenter and joiner trade at an early age under his (page 726) father, who was a contractor and builder. Commenced the study of medicine when twenty years of age but continued at his trade until 1873. At that time he commenced the practice of his profession at Hampton, Iowa. In 1875 he came to his present location and has since enjoyed a good practice. In 1878 he graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago. Was married in October, 1860, to Miss Julia A. Lockwood, of Norfolk, New York. They are the parents of five children: Clara E., Leslie A., Marion A., Forrest E. and George E. The doctor is doing a very successful practice in the counties of Taylor and Ringgold, also in the adjoining counties of Missouri. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M.
CAMPBELL, ENOCH, farmer, section twenty, post-office Platteville, was born in Ohio in 1833, was there reared and educated, moved to Indiana in 1852 and made that his home for thirteen years. In June, 1861, he enlisted in the twenty-first Indiana and served eighteen months. Was promoted to the position of commissary-sergeant and served faithfully until discharged at Ship Island (Gulf of Mexico) in 1863 on account of physical disabilities. He returned to Indiana, remained two years then moved to Illinois. Came to Taylor county in 1875 and settled on his present farm of 160 acres. Was married in 1855 to Miss Sarah Sharp, of Indiana, by whom he has seven children: Robert, Emma, Miles, Mattie, Frank, Marietta and Catharine J. Mr. Campbell is an energetic, enterprising farmer, a good neighbor and worthy citizen. He and lady are members of the Baptist Church. Subject is connected with the Masonic and I. O. O. F. fraternities.
CHIPMAN, VIRGIL, dealer in hardware and furniture, also undertaker, Mormontown; born in Licking county, Ohio, October 28th, 1830. Learned the carpenter trade with his father and came with him to Iowa in 1849, locating in Washington county. He followed carpentering about ten years, then engaged in cabinet making at Richmond in that county. In 1862 he enlisted in company K, Thirtieth Iowa and served until April 11th, 1863, when he was discharged on account of physical disabilities. He then returned to Washington county and worked at his trade about three years. Went to Worth county, Missouri, in 1866 and came to Taylor county a decade later. In the spring of 1876 he engaged in the furniture business at Mormontown and in February 1881 added a stock of hardware. Mr. C. was first married in October, 1851, to Miss Malinda Moore, of Washington county, Iowa, by whom he has four children: Richard, Clark, Orrin and Harriet. Mrs. Chipman died in the spring of 1859 and in March of the following year subject was united in marriage with Miss Deborah Hand, also of Washington county. They have one child, Clara; one is deceased. (Page 727) Mr. Chipman is now serving his second term as justice of the peace of his township. Is a member of A. F. & A. M.
DAILY, JOSEPH T., farmer, post-office Platteville, is a native of Guernsey county, Ohio, where he was born in 1842. His parents moved to Iowa in 1848 and settled in Henry county, where our subject grew to manhood. In 1861 he enlisted in company G, Eleventh Iowa, and served three years and ten months, participating in the battles of Shiloh, siege of Corinth, second battle of Corinth, siege of Vicksburg, then with Sherman to the sea and around to Washington, where he took part in the grand review. Was twice wounded while in service, and was discharged at Davenport July 22, 1865. He then returned to Henry county, where he engaged in farming and milling. In 1865 he married Miss Harriet J. Eliot, of Henry county. They are the parents of five children, four of whom are now living. He removed to Ringgold county in 1877, remained there two years and then came to Taylor county. In March, 1881, he lost all his household goods, papers, etc., by fire. Mr. D. is a poor but honest man, and certainly deserves remuneration for wounds received while in defense of his country.
DODGE, JOSEPH B., farmer, section seven, post-office Platteville, is a native of the Bay State, born in Essex county in 1851. He there attained his majority, receiving a common school education. Came to Taylor county in 1874 and purchased the farm on which he now resides. Two years later he returned to his native State and married Miss Anna M. Wyatt, a highly educated and very excellent lady. They have a farm of 305 acres, well improved, have an elegantly arranged home and enjoy the respect and esteem of their neighbors. Mr. D. is now serving in the capacity of justice of the peace to the satisfaction of all.
FENDER, ISAAC, farmer, section nineteen, post-office Platteville, is a native of the Hoosier State, born in March, 1842. Moved with his parents to southern Illinois while quite young, and to Mercer county, in that State, in 1858. Was educated in the common schools. He was married in 1865 to Miss Mary A. Debord, of Illinois. They were the parents of five children: Allie J., Margaret E., Martha E., John H. and Sarah Jeanette. Mrs. F. died in 1873, and in February, 1878, our subject married Miss Malinda A. Bowman, of this county. He had come to Iowa one year previous and located on his present farm in Jefferson township. Mr. F. has a farm of 145 acres, all good tillable land, and is one of our substantial farmers.
FLICK, W. H., farmer, section eight, post-office Platteville. The subject, though a young man, is one of the early settlers of this county. He was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, in 1850, and came to Iowa with is parents in 1851. Here in Taylor county he has grown to manhood (page 728) and received his education. In 1871 he married Miss Elsie Warner, of Battle Creek, Michigan. They have two children: George B. and Jas. P. In 1877 he emigrated to Sumner county, Kansas, where he settled on a farm, and remained nearly three years. He then rented his farm and returned to this county, locating on his present farm of 280 acres. Mr. Flick is a man of energy, and will make a success of life.
FLICK, Capt. JOHN, farmer, section five, post-office Platteville, was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, May 8, 1817, where he was raised and received his education in the common schools. Learned the tanner's trade at the age of sixteen, and four years later opened a tannery at Bakerstown, Pennsylvania, which he conducted eight or nine years. Came to Iowa in 1849, and settled on a farm in Wapello county, where he remained nearly five years, then came to his present home in Taylor county. He helped to organize the county. In September, 1861, he was commissioned captain of a militia company by Gov. Kirkwood, and in the following November was commissioned by Gov. Gamble, of Missouri, to organize a company in that State. He promptly performed that duty, served six months, and was mustered out at St. Joseph. Returned to the Hawkeye State and was commissioned captain of company B, Second battalion southern border brigade, and served fourteen months. He then received a lieutenant's recruiting commission from the United States government. Held that position six months, resigned, and was mustered into the Ninth Iowa cavalry as captain, in which capacity he served two years and eight months. Was inspector of government horses for a time; also had command of the government post at Fayetteville, Arkansas, for several months. Was mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, and returned to his home. He was married in 1842 to Miss Margaret Patton, of Armstrong county, Pennsylvania. They are the parents of six children: James P., William H., Abraham, Mary, Sarah and John C. Mr. Flick now has a farm of 525 acres, all in good cultivation. Has given to his children considerable land. He has one of the best arranged homes in Taylor county. Himself and wife were formerly members of the Associate R. P. Church, and are now enjoying the confidence and esteem of all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance.
FLUKE, J. F., farmer and stock-raiser, section eighteen, post-office Platteville, born in Licking county, Ohio, in 1851. In the fall of 1855 his parents became residents of Fulton county, Illinois. There he grew to manhood and received an education in the common schools. In 1872 Miss Mary E. Brown, of Fulton county, became his bride. They are the parents of four children: Nora E., Minnie J., Mary E. and Alice G. In 1880 he removed to Gage county, Nebraska, but becoming dissatisfied with the country (page 729) left in three months and came to Taylor county, Iowa. Mr. Fluke now owns 220 acres of good land, has it well improved, and has turned his attention to stock-raising. Subject and lady are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FORD, DAVID F., section thirty-two, post-office Platteville. Prominent among those who have recently found homes in Taylor county we find Mr. Ford. He was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, in 1845, and while quite young he moved with his parents to Ohio, and there received a common school education. In 1864 he enlisted in the One hundred and Ninety-sixth Ohio regiment, and served until the close of the war. He participated in the battle of Winchester, Virginia, and numerous other engagements. Was mustered out at Baltimore in 1865 and returned to Ohio, where he was engaged for a time as a photographer. In the spring of 1866 he went to Illinois and remained two years, then came to Iowa and purchased a farm in Dallas county, which he sold, and through the failure of the purchasers lost all. In 1870 he returned to Illinois and engaged in farming. In the spring of 1881 he came to Taylor county, Iowa, and located on his present farm of 305 acres, on which he proposes building a fine house and barn. He was married in 1868 to Miss Eliza Brown, of Fulton county, Illinois. They are the parents of four children: Mary F., William E., Nettie M. and Effie E. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FORDYCE, A. B., farmer, section four, post-office Platteville, was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, in 1842. He there attained his majority and received a common school education. Also learned the shoemaker's trade and followed that business six years. Came to Taylor county in 1869 and settled on his present farm. He was married in Pennsylvania, June 14, 1866, to Miss Rachael Bowers, of that State. Three children have blessed their union: John, Benson and Fannie Fern. Mr. F. has been a cripple since fourteen years of age. He has now a farm of 380 acres, well improved, and a good house and barn. He is now engaged in farming, stock-raising and shipping; at one time shipping to New York and Philadelphia. Since coming to Iowa he has made Chicago his market. Mr. Fordyce is a man of energy and excellent business qualifications.
FREEMYER, J. R., section twenty-seven, post-office Mormontown. Subject was born in Washington county, Ohio, in 1840. At the age of thirteen his parents moved to Jay county, Indiana, where they resided four years, then moved to Worth county, Missouri, where he attained his majority. His limited education was obtained in the common schools. In 1862 he enlisted in company E, Fourth Missouri cavalry and served three years, participating (page 730) in all the engagements, raids, etc., in which his regiment took part, among which were the battle of Turkey Creek, Springfield, Pea Ridge, Fayetteville, Ark., besides numerous skirmishes with guerillas; also with Price and Marmaduke. In the fall of 1864 he was thrown from his horse, had his knee dislocated, and suffered from a rupture, but kept his place in the ranks and took part in the engagement with Price at Big Blue. Was mustered out at Warrensburg, Missouri, April, 1865. He returned to Worth county, and on May 14 was married to Miss Leonori Foland. Their union was blessed with eight children, seven of whom are now living: May H., Martha R., John E., Archie M., Sarah E., Ada B. and Myra A. He came to Taylor county, Iowa, in 1868 and located on his present farm of 150 acres, which is free from incumbrance. He has paid $1,100 security in the last four years. Mr. F. can relate all the little incidents which occurred during his army life, giving place and dates accurately.
FULTON, S. A., farmer, section nine, post-office Platteville, was born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, May 25, 1825, where he grew to manhood and acquired a liberal education in the common schools. He learned the shoemaker's trade, and followed that business five years. He then made several trips to Iowa, and in 1856 came to Taylor county and settled on a farm. In 1865 he concluded that bachelor life was not conducive to his best interests. Cupid, guessing his thoughts, lost no time in marshalling his forces, and presenting himself demanded an "unconditional surrender." Mr. F. war married shortly after to Miss M. Hollingsworth. From this union there were two children. One (James C.) is now living. Mrs. F. died in 1871, and three years later our subject married Miss Barbary Brown, of Atchison county, Mo., by whom he has one child, Alice. In 1875 Mr. Fulton settled on his present farm of 160 acres. He has a fine location, and is making a very attractive home.
GLENDENNING, W. P., teacher, Mormontown. Among those engaged in instructing the youth of Taylor county we find our subject. Mr. G. is a native of Ohio, born in 1850. Finished his education at the age of seventeen at Burton Academy. From Ohio he went to Green Lake county, Wisconsin, where he worked in the pine forests about eight months, and then engaged as a clerk in a drug store, remaining in that business for one year. He then came to Iowa, stopped at Cedar Falls about six months, when he went to St. Paul, thence to St. Louis by raft, and then west to Kansas. After spending some time in that State he went to the mountains and engaged in mining. In 1874 he returned to Iowa, settling in Ringgold county, where he has since been engaged in farming and teaching. In 1876 he was married to Miss Matilda Aldridge.
HANKINS, D. G., farmer, post-office Platteville, was born in Ohio, in 1854. When but one year old he came with his parents to Iowa, settling in Lee county. While there his father died and the mother, with her family of small ones, came to Taylor county. Here young Hawkins received the most of his education, and is at present engaged in farming. He enjoys the confidence of his employers, and by his energy bids fair to become a useful man.
HOLLINGSWORTH, E. P., proprietor hotel, Mormontown, was born in Indiana, November 15, 1820; was educated in the common schools. Learned the shoemaker's trade, and engaged in that business eighteen years at Perkinsville, Indiana. In 1864 he came to Iowa, locating at Centerville, and the following year moved to Unionville, Mo., where he made brick and built a seminary for the town. Remained there one year, then went to Sullivan county, thence to Macon county, and in 1869 returned to Iowa, locating in Appanoose county. Moved to Ringgold county two years later, where he engaged in brick-making and farming. Came to Taylor county in 1878, and located at Mormontown. Was married in 1843 to Miss Mary J. Morrow, of Indiana. They have eight children: John, Martha, Mary, Elsie, William, Lucy J., David and Elias. Mr. H. is now engaged in farming and hotel keeping. Himself and wife have been members of the M. E. Church for upward of forty years.
JARVIS, WILLIAM H., section seven, post-office Platteville, entered life in Highland county, Ohio, in 1848, and there grew to manhood, receiving a common school education. In 1861 he enlisted in company I, Twenty-fourth Ohio, and served with gallantry until the close of the war, taking part in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Stone River, Chickamagua, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, etc.; veteraned at Chattanooga, after which he served in the eighteenth Ohio and was promoted to sergeant; was with Sherman at the battles of Rocky Face and Buzzard's Roost. He was then furloughed, and after his return took part in the battle of Nashville. He was discharged at Augusta, October 24, 1865, and returned to Ohio and engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1867 he married Miss Martha J. Simpson of Ohio. They were the happy parents of six children: Chas. B., Elmer N., Clinton B., Orie S., Anna B. and Myrtia S. Mrs. Jarvis died April 8, 1881, of consumption. The subject came to Iowa in 1871, and to Taylor county in 1873, where he has since remained.
JOLLEY, S. H., section twenty-two, post-office Mormontown, was born in Brown county, Ohio, in 1838. He there grew to manhood, receiving such education as could be obtained in the public schools. In 1862 he enlisted in company E, Eighty-ninth Ohio; was a sergeant and participated in (page 732) the battles of Hooker's Gap and Chickamagua, where he fell into the hands of the enemy and was taken to Belle Island. After lying in Libby Prison for three months he was taken to Danville, thence to Andersonville where he remained thirteen months. There disease and hunger reduced him to a mere shadow. An order came for a part of the prisoners to be taken to Florence, South Carolina; determined to escape if possible, he gathered up his crutches and hobbled into the ranks. Fortunately he procured some apples from a negro which checked the scurvy and ameliorated his sufferings. In March, 1865, he was sent inside of the Union lines, after having been a prisoner for nearly eighteen months. Of the one hundred and ninety-two men of his regiment that were captured, only twenty survived the horrors of prison. He returned to his former home weighing less than one hundred pounds. He was mustered out at Columbus, and, after regaining his health, again engaged in farming. In 1874 he accepted a position as traveling agent for Boyd & Bros., lumber merchants, of Savannah, Ohio. This he followed one year, then engaged in a tannery until 1877, when he came to Iowa and located where he now resides, on the farm of his brother, Col. Jolley, of Conway. The farm consists of 200 acres and is well managed. In 1867 he was married to Miss Ella, daughter of Robert Hunt, of Georgetown, Ohio, a most estimable lady. They have three children: Alma, Fred and Georgia, and manifest great interest in their education. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
KING, THOMAS, merchant, post-office Mormontown, was born in the Buckeye State in 1836. Came to Iowa Territory when three years of age, and to Taylor county in 1855. He was educated in the common schools, and shortly after coming to this county he engaged in the mercantile business at Platteville. He opened up the first store in that place, and remained there two years; he then moved to Kansas where he resided four years, after which he returned to Taylor county. He was the first postmaster at Platteville. In 1867 he came to Mormontown and in company with his brother built the Mormontown Mills; since then he has made this place his home and has engaged in milling and the mercantile business. Was first married in 1855 to Miss Louisa J. Moore, of Appanoose county, by whom he has two children: Albert E., now practicing medicine at Redding, Iowa; and Dora, wife of F. M. Wisdom, of Mormontown. In 1862 Mrs. King departed this life, and two years later our subject was united in marriage to Miss Villiara Propst of this county. They have two children: Sumner E. and Zollah. Mr. King is an enterprising business man, and a worthy citizen. He is connected with the I. O. O. F. Subject and wife are members of the M. E. Church.
KING, Dr. V. R., Platteville, was born in Lee county, Iowa, in 1844, and was educated in the common schools, and at Rush Medical College, Chicago. He came to Taylor county with his parents in 1855. In 1861 he enlisted in company K, Fourth Iowa infantry, and served three years. Participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, etc., and was with Sherman in his memorable campaign to Atlanta. Received his discharge at Jonesborough, North Carolina, and at once returned to his home. He then commenced the study of medicine with his brother, Dr. J. King (now deceased). Attended the rush Medical College during the seasons of 1866-7; he then returned to this county and practiced one year, then went to Wyoming Territory and engaged in the tie business at Laramie City. In 1873 he was elected to the legislature from Albany county, served one term, and then returned to Iowa, and again entered the Rush Medical College in 1876, attended one term, and has since engaged in practice. He graduated from that institution in 1881. Was married to Miss F. L. Hamilton, of this county, in 1878. They have one child, Ida. The doctor has a good practice and has the requisite energy to make a success of his chosen vocation. He is connected with the I. O. O. F., and Masonic fraternities.
KENEDY, JACOB B., section twenty-one, post-office Platteville, was born in 1829, in the Keystone State. He received a common school education; learned the wagon and carriage making trade, which business he followed until 1857, when he went to Illinois and located at Abingdon, Knox county, and continued at his trade for about eighteen years. Leaving Illinois in 1875 he came to Taylor county, Iowa, and settled in Benton township. Although living on a farm, he continued at his trade for three years; since then he has devoted his attention to farming. His present farm consists of eighty acres which he intends to improve and then turn his attention to raising of Poland-China hogs. In 1854 Mr. Kenedy took unto himself Miss Mary Best of Pennsylvania. They had eight children, four of whom are now living: Samuel A., John S., Martha E. and Leannah M. In 1879 Mrs. Kenedy died, and the following year he was married to Ellen Stephens, relict of Jacob Stephens of Indiana, by whom he has one child, James. Subject is a member of the I. O. O. F.
LARGE, WM., farmer, section twenty-eight, post-office Platteville, is a native of the Keystone State, born in Fayette county in December, 1822. Remained there until eighteen years of age and acquired his education in the subscription schools of that time. Moved to Ohio in 1841; resided there fifteen years. Engaged as a brick mason, which trade he had previously (page 734) learned. Was married in 1849 to Miss Larina Hankins, of Fayette county. They are the parents of six children: A. T., Mary E., Sarah A., John W., Stephen A. D. and Alma J. Came to Iowa in 1856, located in this county and engaged in farming. Has a farm consisting of 160 acres in Iowa and 540 acres in Missouri, all in good cultivation. He is a model farmer and is among the most successful of Taylor county's business men. Is connected with the Masonic fraternity.
LOVE, T. J., carpenter, section thirty-one, post-office Platteville, was born in Ohio, in 1830. He there reached man's estate, and received a common school education. At the age of nineteen he learned the carpenter trade, which business he has since followed. In the spring of 1855 he came to Iowa, and was one of the first settlers of Montgomery county. In 1861 he returned to Ohio on account of his wife's health. Mrs. Love died the following year, leaving a family of three children: Annetta, William L. and Orma. In 1866 he was married to Miss Eunice Allen, and two years later returned to Iowa, leaving his family in Ohio, intending to improve a farm in Page county. Sickness again called him to Ohio, and Mrs. Love died in two weeks after his return. She left two children: Ora and Joseph M. In 1871 he took unto himself Miss Hannah Roberts, by whom he has two children; Marion S. and Lewis E. In 1880 he came to Bedford, remained about four months when he purchased the farm where he now resides. Mr. Love is one of seven brothers, six of whom served in the army, he remaining at home.
MINOR, JESSE, farmer and stock-raiser, sections twenty-one and twenty-two, post-office Mormontown; born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, in 1853. Received a common school education, came to Iowa in 1874 and stopped for a short time in Jasper county. He subsequently went to Nebraska but returned to Iowa and engaged in cattle-feeding. In the spring of 1876 he settled on a farm of 360 acres owned by himself and father, where he is engaged at present in farming and stock-raising with success. In 1878 he was united in marriage with Miss Ollie J. Simms, of Worth county, Missouri. They are the parents of one child, Delia May. Mr. M. is one of the most enterprising farmers of Taylor county. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
OLDER, WM., section thirty-six, post-office Mormontown, was born at Albany, New York, in 1841. While yet a child his parents removed to Vernon county, Wisconsin, where his father founded the town of Viroqua, the county seat. Remaining there eight years he came to Independence, Iowa, where he resided seven years. While there his father went into the Army. In 1863 Mr. O. went to Dakota and settled at Elk Point, Union (page 735) county, where he made a claim and engaged in farming. Here he was unsuccessful. Grasshoppers feasted upon the products of his toil for three seasons. His house with most of its contents was burned. Becoming discouraged he sold his only cow to raise means to get away. He removed to Worth county, Missouri, and engaged in farming. In 1879 he came to Taylor county, Iowa, and located on his present farm of eighty acres. Notwithstanding the many reverses with which he has met he has overcome them all and now has a beautiful home. In 1866 he married Miss Elizabeth J. Furzee, of Montreal, Canada. They have four children: Albert F., Ida May, Anna A. and Francis M.
PAGE, L. H., farmer, section nine, post-office Platteville, a native of Massachusetts, was born in 1832, and at the age of five years came with his parents to the Territory of Iowa. They settled in Lee county, where young Page attained his majority and received a common school education. Their journey from Massachusetts to Ohio was made in a sled, and from Ohio to Iowa in a wagon. Subject remained in Lee county until 1856, when he came to Taylor county and settled on a farm one-half mile north of the the one where he now resides. In 1857 he purchased his present farm. It contains 125 acres and is well improved. He was married in 1853, to Miss Elizabeth King, of Lee county. They are the parents of one child, Sarah Adassa. Mr. Page has in his possession the ax with which was made the first rail in Taylor county. It was given him by Jesse Guyll. Mr. and Mrs. Page are members of the M. E. Church.
PROPST, DANIEL, farmer, section thirty, post-office Platteville, was born in Virginia in 1837. There grew to manhood, receiving his education in the subscription schools. In the fall of 1856 he came with his parents to Scott county, Iowa. Remained there two years then came to Taylor county and has since engaged in farming. Was married in 1869 to Miss Mary Burnside, a native of Ohio. From this union there are four children: Nannie, Allie, Elsie and Stella. Mr. Propst now has a fine farm of 126 acres. He has held various township offices and always performed his duties with the strictest integrity. Mr. and Mrs. P. are members of the Baptist Church. He is connected with the A. F. & A. M.
REED, J. W., farmer and stock-raiser, section nine, post-office Platteville. Prominent among the early settlers of this county we find Mr. R. He was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, in 1825. When ten years of age his parents emigrated to St. Joe county, Michigan. There he remained until he was sixteen, then he went to Huron county, Ohio, and engaged at farming. He again returned to Michigan, then went to Chicago and engaged as a teamster, but becoming discontented made several trips (page 736) across the lakes and spent considerable time in traveling. Subsequently he engaged as a helper in an iron mill at Danville, Pennsylvania. He was soon given a furnace of his own and continued at the business eight years. In 1853, he started westward leaving his family in Michigan. Arriving at Davenport he became so favorably impressed with the country that he determined to remain and accordingly settled in Keokuk county, near South English. He became intoxicated with the idea of crossing the plains and settling on the golden shores of the Pacific. Accordingly he started, reached Worth county, Missouri, when sickness in his family compelled him to give up the trip. Not wishing to live in a slave state he came to Taylor county, Iowa, and settled on his present farm of 1,970 acres. He is extensively engaged in stock-raising. In 1880 he handled 350 head of cattle and over 800 head of hogs. He was married in 1847, to Miss Clarissa Kennedy, of Danville, Pennsylvania, by whom he had five children. Three are living: Clarence M., Vincent, and Sylva G. In 1862 Mrs. R. died, and in 1864, he married Miss Martha E. Pestol, of Worth county, Missouri. She was the mother of two children, both deceased. She also died, and in 1869, the year following her death he married Miss Sarah A. Brown, daughter of Elias Brown, an old settler of Jackson township. They are the parents of five children: Miles A., Jacob W., Dilla A., and Elsie and Isie, twins. Mr. and Mrs. Reed are members of the M. E. Church. He is also connected with the A. F. & A. M. and the I. O. O. F. fraternities.
SCHRAM, SIDNEY, post-office Mormontown, was born in Her Majesty's dominions in 1838. Was there reared and educated, and also learned the blacksmith trade. He came to the United States in 1860, stopped in Atchison county, Missouri, one year, then went to Pike's Peak and engaged in mining for a short time. He returned to Missouri in the fall of 1861, made that his home four years, then moved to Page county, Iowa, and engaged in farming and the mercantile business at Union Grove. In 1868 he went to Isadora, Missouri, and there embarked in the mercantile business. Six years later he came to Mormontown and in the fall of 1878, was elected to the office of clerk of the courts. He served in that capacity two years, then returned to his farm. Was married in 1862, to Miss Clementine Woodhull, also a native of Canada. They have three children: Anna E., William B. and Arthur L. Mr. S. has a fine farm of 350 acres in this and Ringgold counties, and is engaged in farming and stock-growing. He is at present deputy sheriff of Taylor county.
SEVERNS, JOHN, section three, post-office Mormontown, is a native of Fulton county, Illinois, where he was born in 1845. When ten years of age he came with his parents to Lucas county, Iowa, and from thence to Taylor (page 737) county, in 1857. In 1863, he enlisted in company B, Ninth Iowa cavalry, and served until the company was discharged, when he returned home and engaged in farming. He now owns a farm of eighty acres and has a beautiful home. In 1876, he married Miss Nancy Birdwell, of Illinois. They are the parents of four children: Riley, Jesse, Nellie and Minnie.
SEVERNS, J. R., section eight, post-office Platteville, a native of the Buckeye State, was born in 1866. While young his parents moved to Fulton county, Illinois, where his father died, and he with his mother and brother came to Lucas county, Iowa. Remaining there a short time, he with his brother, went to Missouri, and in 1859 they came to Taylor county, Iowa. At the breaking out of the war, his brother went into the army. Subject remained at home, and in 1867 married Miss Florence A. Burrell, of this county. They have six children: Ulysses, Amanda, Benjamin, Albert, Eustace and William. He is now located on a farm of 160 acres of good land and is a member of the I. O. O. F.
STEVENSON, JNO. J., hotel-keeper, Mormontown, is a native of the Keystone State, born in 1833. He there attained his majority, receiving his education in the common schools. He learned the carpenter trade and engaged for some time in that business. In 1863 he emigrated to Warren county, Iowa, remained there during the winter, then came to Taylor county. In 1867 he moved to Ringgold county; lived there two years then returned to this county, and seven years later engaged in the hotel business at Mormontown. He was married in 1854 to Miss Lucy Long, daughter of Jno. Long, Esq., of Greene county, Pennsylvania. They own the Mormontown Hotel and are making it first-class in every respect. Mr. and Mrs. S. are careful and attentive, always ready to consult the wishes of their guests, and are fast becoming popular as landlord and landlady.
SWETT, CYRUS, farmer, section eighteen, post-office Platteville, was born in the Green Mountain State, in 1823. When five years old his parents moved to Ohio, where he grew to maturity and received a liberal education. When seventeen, he engaged in carpentering, and followed that business for a time. In 1844 he went to Philadelphia, where he remained a short time, then returned to Ohio on foot. He came to Iowa in 1848, and the following year located at Des Moines, where he engaged at his trade. Became a resident of this county in 1854, entered land in section 19, and improved a part of his present farm. He was married in Des Moines in 1852, to Miss Rebecca, daughter of Thomas Morris. Of their children, nine are now living: William T., Catharine, Caroline, Charles H., Ida A., Rosa Belle, Dora Francis, Cyrus V. and John. Subject now owns 160 acres of land well improved, and is among our most substantial business men.
WHITE, Dr. A., Mormontown, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1845. Came to America with his parents and stopped in Monroe county, New York, where he received his first lessons in English. In 1855 his parents emigrated to Iowa and settled in Dubuque county. Remained there four years then moved to Delaware county, where he remained until 1865. Commenced the study of medicine with Dr. G. A. Dando, of Worthington, with whom he continued three years. He then entered the Keokuk Medical College and graduated from that institution in 1870. Came to Taylor county in July of that year and commenced the practice of his profession. He is now enjoying a large practice and commands the confidence and respect of all.
WILLIAMS, THOS., farmer, section thirty-one, post-office Platteville, born in Hamilton county, Ohio, in 1838. Came to Tippecanoe county, Indiana, when fifteen years of age. Was educated in common schools. In 1869 he moved to Vernon county, Wisconsin; remained there one year, then came to Taylor county and settled on his present farm of eighty acres. Was married in Indiana in 1861, to Miss Julia House. They have six children: Camillus, Martin, Ida, Charles, William, Lizzie and Mary. Mr. W. has a fine little farm, good residence and enjoys the pleasures of a home made attractive by his excellent family.
WILSON, W. W., farmer, section ten, post-office Mormontown, was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he grew to manhood and received a common school education. At the age of eighteen he had learned the carpenter trade and has followed that business most of his life. In 1853 he left Pennsylvania and started west, stopping for awhile in Ohio and Wisconsin, and reaching Iowa in 1854. Here he remained for two years, then went to Illinois and settled in Knox county, where he resided until 1862, when he enlisted in company A, Fourteenth Illinois cavalry. Was with Shackleford on his raid after Morgan through Indiana and Ohio. Also with Stoneman on his raid to Macon and with Thomas at the battle of Nashville, when, on account of sickness, and the war being over, he was discharged. He enlisted as a sergeant and was promoted to the rank of quartermaster sergeant of his regiment. He returned to Illinois and engaged in carpentering until 1868, when he removed to Des Moines county, Iowa. In 1866 he was married to Miss Lydia A. Enke, of Ohio. They are the parents of five children: Wm. E., Rozella and Rozetta (twins), Mary and Pearl. Mr. W. is a member of the A. F. & A. M.
WILSON, JNO. F., farmer, post-office Mormontown. Subject was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, in 1842, and was educated at home, having attended school but nine months. In 1857 he went to Illinois and settled at Yates City, Knox county, where he remained until August 4, 1862 (page 739) when he enlisted in company F, Eighty-sixth Illinois, and served until the close of the war. He was engaged in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Lookout Mountain and numerous other battles, including Kenesaw, where his brother was killed fighting by his side. The subject was engaged in twenty-seven battles and received three wounds. Was discharged June, 1865, at Washington, and returned to Illinois, where he engaged in teaming. In 1867 he was married to Miss Mary H. Kennedy, of Appanoose county, Iowa, by whom he has five children: Cornelia, Musetta, Lulu M., Floyd and Grace. In 1878 he removed to Ringgold county, Iowa, remaining one season, then came to Taylor county, where he now resides, and is one of our most successful farmers.
WISDOM, M. B., farmer, section twelve, post-office Mormontown, was born in Boone county, Missouri, in 1834. When seven years of age his father came to this State and located in Davis county, where our subject attained his majority. In 1855 he came to this county and entered forty acres of land, which consumed all his wealth. Having a poor yoke of steers he commenced farming. His plow had a wooden mould-board and his harrow wooden teeth. His first team of horses was stolen. In the spring of 1857 he paid three and a half dollars for three pails of meal, borrowing the money to pay for it. Such are a few of the trials experienced by our subject while endeavoring to make a home on the bleak prairies of southwestern Iowa. He is now the owner of 500 acres of well improved land and has one of the most beautiful homes in Taylor county. He was married in 1855 to Miss Ann E. Stofle, of Davis county, Iowa. They have eight children: Josephus, Martha T., Silas E., Sherman A., Carleton, Dora, Willis and Sylva M. One is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Wisdom are members of the Baptist Church. Although now in good circumstances, all has been gained by good management, as Mr. W. has not been able to do a day's work since he was twenty-five years of age. He proposes to build a large barn this summer.
WISDOM, FRANK M., post-office Mormontown. Of the many excellent young men of Taylor county none are more worthy of mention than Mr. Wisdom. He was born in Davis county, of this State, in 1856. Came to this county when two years of age and has since made it his home. His education has been obtained in the common schools and Simpson Centenary College, of Indianola, Iowa. He has also been reading law, with a view to the legal profession. Was married in 1878, to Miss M. E. King, daughter of Thomas King, of Mormontown, and a very excellent lady. As a teacher Mr. W. ranks among the first in Taylor county. As a student in Simpson Centenary College the writer can say from personal knowledge that few better ever entered her walls. Mr. W. is a member of the I. O. O. F., and also brother of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity of S.C.C.