Taylor County, Iowa History 1881 by Lyman Evans
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: email@example.com)
In 1857 there was but one family residing in this township, which was then a part of Marshall. It was organized in April, 1871, with Edwin Henck, now of Bedford, as clerk, and Van R. Strong, T. V. Williams and Samuel Johnson as trustees.
Grove township is one of the very best in Taylor county. Its soil is remarkable fertile, and all, or nearly so, arable. Its corn crop is simply prodigious, that being the chief product. Hogs and cattle are raised in large numbers, and are a source of wealth to the enterprising farmer who thus seeks to enrich himself.
The people of Grove township are intelligent, and for so new a one, are in "well to do" circumstances. Their interest in education commends them as a people who will bless the land in which they live. Its schools are among those most praised in the county. Since the township was organized and school-houses began to dot its beautiful hillsides county superintendents have spoken in terms of unstinted commendation of its superior schools, and of the interest manifested in them by their patrons and by the pupils themselves.
The first teacher in the township was Miss Eva McCloud, who is now an instructress in one of the public schools at Bedford. The young ideas she strove to learn to shoot gathered at a small dwelling-house on T. V. William's farm. The next teacher was Mrs. Bacon, who still lives in the township.
As in Bible times so was it in Grove township. People were married (Page 586) and given in marriage. The first ceremony of this character was the union of J. W. Johnson and Miss Evaline Allen. The earth still owns the happy pair, and they reside on Mr. A. M. Allen's farm.
Also was there multiplying and replenishing after the good old scriptural way, in Grove township. David Bacon was blessed with the first girl baby the doctors brought to the bailiwick. She was christened Jennie, and is now a resident of the township. James T. Johnson was the first boy born in the township. And yet there may be a mistake in this. A paper before the writer says that the first child born in this province was Van R. Strong's. Which statement is correct is not for this historian to say.
Perhaps no township in the county has settled more rapidly than Grove….in the number of acres cultivated it is far in advance of many townships much older.
There is no church organization in the township. The people attend divine service at Hayden's Grove, at Lenox, and at Bethel, in Platte township.
Mr. W. H. Colegrove, a citizen of Grove township, was elected a member of the board of supervisors of Taylor county at the general election in 1880. His term will expire December 31, 1883. He is a gentleman of eminent good sense and is universally popular.
Washington Burrell, who now resides in Grove township, relates a story that amply illustrates some of the difficulties the pioneers were called upon to encounter, although in this instance the hardship was not so very great. Almost any full grown, healthy man would have been happy under at least a portion of Mr. Burrell's ill luck. He was then living at Hayden Grove, in Holt township. One evening he concluded that a wooing he would go. His dulcinea welcomed him most royally, and a most happy evening was passed. But just before the "wee sma' hours" set in, when a fellow has got no business to be up with his girl, a cloud blacker than Egyptian darkness covered the land, and wind, rain, thunder and lightning made a pandemonium of the outside world. In going to the home of his inamorata Mr. Burrell had been obliged to cross the One Hundred and two River on a "foot log". This was a very easy thing to do in droughty times, but if there should be a rise in the stream of a foot or more, the log would be under water, and passage exceedingly dangerous and difficult in such pitchy darkness. So there was no getting home that night, and he and his sweetheart "sparked" on until day dawned. He then set his face homeward. Arriving at the river he found it bank full, and his log several feet under water, even if it had not been washed away. Dutifully he returned to his lady (page 87) love, for there was no other alternative. And, parenthetically, this historian would remark that it must have hurt Washington's feelings amazingly. We've been there ourself, or, at least had we been Mr. Washington Burrell, this little picture illustrates the course we should have taken. He did nothing of the kind. He disrobed, to use a polite figure of speech, and tying his clothing into a neat bundle, the pantaloons of which contained some sixty dollars in gold, he undertook to breast the angry stream with his bundle hanging to his teeth. The bundle proved to be so much of an obstruction upon reaching the rapid current in the middle of the stream that either he or the package must go to the bottom. Washington loved his life, and he didn't want to break his girl's heart. So he let the gold and the unmentionable's of a man's toilet go, and he pulled to shore safely. When he got there he was just as clean as Adam ever was in the Garden of Eden, and he had just as many garments on, barring the fig-leaf. But he was equal to the emergency. At a pace that would make Maude S. open her eyes, he started for Uncle Jesse Lair's where boys were numerous. Uncle Jesse didn't believe in girls, and there were none about the premises. Arriving within hailing distance Washington got behind a stump, and yelled lustily for the boys, who finally came to his relief with the necessary apparel. Mr. Burrell never found his bundle, but he says that within a few years he has learned that some laborers, while excavating for the foundation of a bridge near the scene of his loss, found a package of man's - well such articles as a man wears. It confused the laborers very much, for to their excited imaginations it meant that a foul murder had been committed. Thus much for the bundle. The gold was never heard of by Mr. Burrell, who oughtn't to have gone "sparking" at all, in those early days. He should have waited till now, when the One Hundred and Two and all the streams of the county are bridged at stated distances, and by structures that defy the elements that cost him his gold and clothing. In this at least, in its bridges, Taylor county can claim preeminence. In its roads too, and Grove township especially.
ALLEN, ANDREW M., farmer and stock-raiser, post-office, Lenox. Born in County Antrim, Ireland, of Scotch parents in 1810. He was apprenticed when but a youth to a tailor for five years. At the expiration of that time he enlisted in the British army, serving eleven years, six years of his service being in the West Indies. Three of his brothers in the United States bought his discharge, and he joined them at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1842. He was married that year to Miss Jane Davis, a native of Pennsylvania. He soon opened a tailor shop and carried on that business until 1854, when he moved to Illinois and engaged in farming. In October, 1861, he again took up arms, this time under the stars and stripes. He enlisted in the Fifty-seventh Illinois volunteers, and served three years and three months, all the time in active service. He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Kenesaw, Snake Creek Gap and Marietta. He was in the forced march from Chattanooga to Atlanta, and many other wearying marches and hotly contested engagements. He came to Taylor county in 1870, locating where he now lives. He has a fine farm of 468 acres, well improved, with all necessary conveniences. He has seven children: George L., Mary J., Eoline, Ann Eliza, John W., Orville and Cora Ellen. All married but one. His son, John W., manages the farm, Mr. A. turning his attention entirely to stock.
BACON, DAVID T., farmer, section thirty-six, post-office Lenox, was born in New York in 1843, where he grew to man's estate and received an education. Was married in 1865 to Miss Mary E. Wright, also a native of the Empire State. The following year he started west and located in Illinois, where he remained three years. In 1860 he again took his march toward the setting sun, and located in Grove township, of this county. He (page 696) was with the second family that settled in that part of the county. Mrs. B. taught the first school that was opened in the township, the first term in her own house. Subject came to his present residence in 1877. He has a nice farm, well improved, and in a good state of cultivation. They have two children: Jennie M. and Arthur James. Mr. Bacon is known as a hardworking industrious man, of good habits, and takes great pride in educating his children, who are naturally bright and promising.
BEACH, GEO., farmer and stock-raiser, sections thirty-five and thirty-six, post-office Lenox, was born in New York in 1853. While an infant his father died. When ten years of age he moved with his mother to Monmouth, Warren county, Illinois. Was there educated in the common schools and Monmouth College. Is also a graduate of the Chicago Law School, and was admitted to the bar in 1875. Preferring to be a "tiller of the soil," he came to Iowa in 1876 and located in Taylor county where he now resides. He bought and improved 360 acres of land, erected an elegant residence, and now has one of the finest farms in Taylor county. He is admirably situated for raising stock, and intends soon to engage extensively in that business. Was married in 1875 to Miss Louella E. Cowan, a native of Illinois, and a very accomplished lady. They have two children: George H. and Nellie M. Mr. Beach is a young man of extraordinary ability, highly educated, and possessed of sufficient energy to make a success of life. He has held various offices of responsibility, and is at present assessor of his township.
BOYDEN, W. H., farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty-eight, post-office Lenox, is a native of New York, born in 1820. Subject is a blacksmith by trade, which business he followed until he became a resident of this county. He was married in 1841 to Miss Phoebe Rathbourne. >From this union there were two children: Mary E., who died in 1848, aged two years, and Frances M., died in 1878, aged thirty-six years. Mrs. B. also departed this life in 1850. Two years later subject was married to Miss Susan L. Smith. Of their children three are now living: Charles, William and Ellen. Mr. B. moved to Wisconsin in 1866, lived there four years and came to Taylor county in 1871. While the country was yet new he had many interesting experiences. Being unused to the prairie he would frequently get turned around and lost while hauling lumber to build his house, and would necessarily have to remain out all night. He now has a farm of 120 acres, well improved, and everything about his place is arranged in a tasty manner. His great pride, however, is in his vineyard.
BRANDT, CLAUS, farmer, sections ten and fifteen, post-office Lenox. Born in Germany in 1845, and immigrated with his parents to this country (page 697) in 1851, locating in Scott county, Iowa. There young Brandt grew to manhood. He came to Taylor county in 1874, and bought and improved a farm of 160 acres of fine land - since which time he has added to his possessions, and now has 200 acres all in good cultivation and well improved. His land is in two farms, with good buildings on each, and sheltered with groves, etc. Mr. Brandt is a young man of good habits and he has been eminently successful in his chosen vocation.
BURRELL, WASHINGTON, farmer and stock-raiser, post-office Lenox. Among the many old settlers of this county our subject is worthy of mention. He was born in 1836 and is a native of the Buckeye State. While but a child his parents died, and at the age of six he left the person with whom his guardian had placed him, and after a series of wanderings became a "tow path" boy on the Wabash Canal, which business he followed four years. He then came west and engaged in mining until the breaking out of the rebellion, when he enlisted at Buckskin Joe, Colorado, in the First Colorado cavalry and served three years and three months. His service was mainly in Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas. After his discharge from that regiment he reenlisted in the Ninth United States veteran volunteers, with Hancock's veteran reserve corps, served one year and was discharged. He then came to Taylor county and was married to Miss Loretta Baker, daughter of one of Taylor county's first settlers. Came to Grove township in 1873 and bought the farm on which he now resides. It consists of eighty acres of well improved land, with all the conveniences necessary to a pleasant home. His family consists of five children: Richard, Morning Ann, Mary E., Elihu and Dora. Two are deceased: John and Andrew.
CADE, HENRY, farmer and stock-raiser, section thirteen, post-office Lenox, is a native of Michigan, born in 1841. When twelve years of age his parents moved to Wisconsin, where he attended the common schools. He finished his education at Valparaiso College, Indiana. In 1863 he was married to Miss Sabrina Henry, a native of Indiana. He came to Taylor county in 1872, and since then has made all improvements on his present farm. He now owns 125 acres of well improved land, and has a beautiful home. They have four children: Emmet, Ervin, Belle and Grace. Mr. Cade has taken great interest in the schools since coming to this county, and is now treasurer of the school board.
CARTER, J. T. AND W. M., farmers and stock-raisers, post-office Lenox. Subjects are natives of the Buckeye State. W. H. was born in 1838; J. T. in 1840. They were reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1858 they moved to Indiana where they engaged in agricultural (page 698) pursuits. They remained there until 1879, when they came to Taylor county, Iowa, and are now engaged in farming and stock-raising. J. T. was married in 1863 to Miss S. F. Lovitt, of Illinois, but a native of Ohio. They have three children: Olive, Darwin and Claud. One, Alta, deceased. Subjects are owners of 800 acres of land, beautifully situated, and are counted among the most enterprising and successful of Taylor county farmers. They are members of the Christian Church.
COLGROVE, W. H., farmer and stock-raiser, section fifteen, post-office Lenox, is a native of Tompkins county, New York, born December 7, 1886. His youth was spent in agricultural pursuits and attending the common schools. He completed his education in Schuyler county of that State, graduating from the Havanna high school. When twenty-one years of age he purchased a farm and commenced business for himself. In 1873 he came to Taylor county (having previously sold his farm in the Empire State) and made the first settlement in Holt township, where he remained one year and then removed to where he now resides - three miles west and two south of Lenox. His farm consists of eighty acres, all in cultivation, good buildings and fences, etc. He has been honored by the people of his township with almost every office of its government, and at present is one of the board of supervisors of this county. He was married February 10, 1858, to Miss Charlotte Council, a native of New York. They have had two children: William Arthur, aged nineteen, and a daughter, who died February 24, 1873, at the age of fourteen years. Mr. Colgrove is a man of more than ordinary intelligence, and takes great interest in public affairs.
DAVIS, G. W., farmer and stock-raiser, post-office Lenox, is a native of Ohio and born in 1841. At the breaking out of the war he espoused the Union cause, and in September, 1861, enlisted in the Sixteenth Ohio volunteer infantry, and participated in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Milliken's Bend, Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Champion's Hill, Black River Ridge, a bayonet charge at Vicksburg, and was also in the Banks Red River expedition. He was discharged in October, 1864, and returned to Ohio. The following year he emigrated to Illinois where he remained ten years. He was married in 1871 to Miss Emma B. Johnson, a native of Essex county, New York. They are the parents of five children: Blanche A., Eleno M., Lenore M., Willie M. and George Arthur Garfield. Mr. Davis came to Taylor county in 1875, and settled on his present farm, which is an improved one of 120 acres with good house and barn, and, in fact, all the conveniences of an excellent home.
GORDON, WILLIAM, farmer and stock-raiser, post-office Lenox, a native of North Carolina, was born in 1829, and came with his parents to Indiana (page 699) when five years of age, and from there moved to Peoria county, Illinois, where he resided until 1879, at which time he became a resident of Taylor county, Iowa. He now owns what is known as the "Blue Grove" farm, consisting of 440 acres well improved and in a high state of cultivation. Mr. Gordon is still making improvements and is determined to make his a "model" stock farm. He intends fencing it in eighty acre lots of convenience in feeding and handling stock. At this writing he has a fine and commodious house, large barn, bearing orchard, yards neatly fenced and about three miles of osage orange hedge on the farm. Mr. Gordon served his country in the trying hours of the rebellion, enlisting in August, 1861, in the Forty-seventh Illinois veteran volunteers, and participated in the battles Madrid, Missouri, Farmington, Corinth, siege and capture of Vicksburg, and Richmond, Louisiana. He was discharged in August, 1863. In 1856 Miss Susan Stokes, a native of Kentucky, became his wife. They have six children: Hannah J., Mary F., A. Lincoln, J. A. Logan, Evan and Fred.
GREEN, WARREN, farmer and stock-raiser, section thirty-two, post-office Lenox, was born in Pennsylvania in 1843, and moved with his parents to Illinois when twelve years of age. He came to Jasper county, Iowa, in 1865, and a decade later he came to this county, locating where he now lives. He commenced his farm on the raw prairie, and where once the deer, wolf and wily savage "chased the winds," now waves the ripening fields of corn. His home place contains eighty acres, mostly taken up in building lots, orchards, meadows, pastures, etc., and is tastily arranged with fine residence, surrounded by poplar and other trees. He has also a farm of 120 acres in sections twenty-seven and twenty-eight, all in good cultivation. He was married in 1868 to Mrs. Margaret Howard, a native of Ohio. They have two children: Juna Maud and Erissa May. Mrs. Green has one son by her first husband, who is now in Colorado. Subject is a man of excellent mind; has held many offices of trust and responsibility, and is considered one of the most successful business men in Taylor county.
GRISINGER, J. W., farmer, section ten, post-office, Lenox, is a native of York county, Pennsylvania, was born in 1853. Came to Taylor county in 1877 and located where he now lives. He has a fine little farm of forty acres in good cultivation with young orchard, shade and ornamental trees. Commencing without means he has succeeded in securing for himself and family a pleasant home. He was married in 1876 to Miss Jennie Bryan also a native of Pennsylvania. They are the parents of two children: E. W. and J. C. Mr. G. has always taken an interest in the schools of his (page 700) vicinity and at present holds the office of school director, supervisor and constable.
HENRY, A. A., farmer, section twenty-four, post-office Lenox, is a native of Wisconsin, born April 24, 1849. Grew to manhood in his native State and received his education in the common and high schools. Came to Taylor county in November, 1872, and settled where he now lives. Was married in Illinois in the last named year to Miss Dollie Ingraham, a native of that State. She was born May 24, 1850. They are the parents of four children: Nellie R., Effie M., Jessie M. and Sadie A. Mr. H. is the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of fine land, well improved with a large bearing orchard. Has also seven acres of forest consisting of about five thousand trees of soft timber and six hundred walnut. Mr. Henry is a good farmer and is awake to interests public and private. He is at present township clerk.
HENRY, ANDREW, farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty-four, post-office Lenox, was born in the Empire State in 1817. When six years of age his parents moved to Michigan, where they remained eight years, then went to Indiana and resided in that State eighteen years. Was married in 1839 to Miss Laura Wisel, also a native of New York. In 1842 he removed to Wisconsin and engaged extensively in farming. Nearly a quarter of a century later he came to Lenox and in 1876 settled on his present farm which contains eighty acres nicely situated with fine house and barn, good orchard, etc. They have two sons and three daughters: Sabrina, Albert, Otis W., Julia and Anna. All are married and useful members of society.
HOUCK, WILLIAM M., farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty, post-office Lenox, born in the Keystone State in 1849. When five years old his parents came west and after a long wearying journey located in this county. In 1868 he came to Grove township with the family of Mr. Ed Houck, who erected a cabin where now stands the beautiful residence of William Gordon on the Blue Grove farm. Mr. H. was married in 1875 to Miss Ida Greenlee, also a native of Pennsylvania. Built a good house and otherwise improved his farm the year after his marriage. It consists of eighty acres of well improved land nicely situated in the very garden of southwestern Iowa. Their family consists of three children: Lilian E., Chas. E. and William A. Mr. Houck is a man of excellent judgment and industrious habits, holds the office of school director, also that of justice of the peace.
JOHNSON, SAMUEL, farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty-eight, post-office Lenox, a Buckeye by birth, was born in 1815. In 1853 he (page 701) was married to Miss Margaret Simmons, a native of Pennsylvania. From this union there are five children living: James T., John W., Manandrew M., Josephus and Esbon. John W. served during the war in the One Hundred and Sixteenth Ohio volunteers and participated in all of the battles in which his regiment was engaged. Mr. Johnson came to Iowa in 1869; locating in this county where he now lives. Has a nice farm of one hundred and fifty acres well improved, good buildings, fine orchard and vineyard, and well fenced with osage orange hedge. He has also fifty acres of excellent timber. At the time of his settlement only one cabin had been erected in that neighborhood and that one was on the Blue Grove farm, where now the commodious residence of William Gordon stands.
KNOTT, JOHN, farmer and stock-raiser, section thirty-four, post-office, Conway; born in Peoria, Illinois in 1835. When five years of age his father moved on a farm and young Knott spent his early days in the healthful pursuits of agriculture. Was married in 1860 to Miss Clarinda Dickenson, also a native of Peoria. They have four children: William J., Matilda, Clara Belle and Minnie Justina. He came to Iowa in 1879 and located in this county where he now resides. His farm consists of one hundred and sixty acres well improved, good buildings, an abundance of water and finely situated for a stock farm. Mr. K.. is an industrious and thrifty farmer whose efforts are bound to win.
MADDEN, W. S., farmer and stock-raiser, section eleven, post-office Lenox; born in Scott county, Iowa, in 1850, and there grew to manhood and was educated in the common schools. In 1874 he was married to Miss Jane Moore, also a native of Iowa. Came to Taylor county the same year and located where he now resides. He has a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, well improved, with good buildings, orchard, vineyard, etc. Is feeding a fine herd of graded stock, forty in number. Raises small grain, but is turning his attention more particularly to the raising of corn and stock. Mr. M. is an intelligent, industrious man, and is considered one of the rising young men of Taylor county. His family consists of four children: John K., William S., David B., and Nettie.
McCOY, M. S., farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty-three, post-office Lenox, was born in Ohio in 1849; emigrated to Illinois in 1853. He came to Iowa in 1865 and located in Washington county; remained there until 1878 when he became a resident of this county. Since he came here he has broken and improved the farm he now owns. It consists of one hundred and sixty acres of good land, and considering the short time he has occupied it, is well improved. Mr. M. intends making a specialty of stock-raising in the near future, and has at this writing a fine lot of horses, cattle (page 702) and swine, of which he takes the best of care. He was married in 1849 to Miss N. L. Brown, also a native of Ohio. They have four children: Lizzie M., James F., William F. and an infant. Subject came to Taylor county with but little means, but by industrious habits and strict attention to business he is fast taking rank among the first men of his township.
MILLS, W. S., farmer, section nine, post-office Lenox, is a native of the Buckeye State. Was born in 1840, received his education in the common schools and the Western Reserve Institute at the time that James A. Garfield was principal. Moved to Adams county, Iowa, in 1871 and engaged in the mercantile business. Came to Taylor county in 1873, bought and improved a farm in Grove township, lived there until the spring of 1881 when he bought the farm he now owns. It contains one hundred and sixty acres, is nicely situated, good soil, an abundance of water, and will doubtless under his skillful management become a most valuable and beautiful home. Mr. Mills was married in 1864 to Miss Pantha Leavitt, who departed this life in August, 1880, leaving a family of five boys: Ernest, Chas., Martin, Herbert and Frank. Mr. M. is a man of excellent judgment, keen conception and good habits. Has filled the offices of justice of the peace and president of the school board, always paying strict attention to his duties.
RIED, JAMES, farmer, section one, post-office Lenox, born in Ohio in the year 1844 and there attained man's estate, remaining on his father's farm until twenty years of age. In February, 1864, he enlisted in the Seventy-third Ohio veteran volunteers, and was sent with his regiment direct to Atlanta, and participated in the siege and capture of that place; also engaged at Smoke Creek Gap, Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Lost Mountain and numerous others. Was with Sherman in his march to the sea and on the return march to Washington. Subject attended the grand review of the armies in that city in May, 1865, and was discharged in June of that year. He was married in Ohio in 1867, to Miss Flora Conley, a native of Scotland. They are parents of three children: Margaret J., Joseph Neal and Irena. Mr. R. came to Taylor county in 1868, locating on section fifteen, Grove township. Bought the farm he now owns in 1880. It consists of eighty acres of well improved land, with good buildings, fences, orchard, etc. He has always taken great interest in the schools of the township, and at present holds the office of school director. He is an earnest and faithful member of the Presbyterian Church.
RUPF, J. A., farmer and stock-raiser, sections ten and eleven, post-office Lenox; born in Switzerland in 1837. At the age of seven years he, with his parents, emigrated to America, locating at Davenport, Iowa. Here he grew to manhood and learned the sawyer's trade, also that of steam engineer (page 703), which business he followed until 1875. Was married in 1866 to Miss Ellen Murphy, a native of Illinois. He bought the farm he now owns and occupies in 1869 and moved his family upon it the following year. Was in the meantime engaged at his trade and furnished money with which to improve his land. His farm consists of one hundred and sixty acres of good land, well improved, with good buildings, orchard and a grove of maple and ornamental trees, in full view of the flourishing little city of Lenox. Has one child, Rosa, born in 1868. Mr. Rupf remembers Davenport when it was but a steamboat landing and ferry place, and contained but three business houses.
RUPF, FRANK, farmer, sections fourteen and fifteen, post-office Lenox, was born in Davenport, Iowa, in 1848; came to Taylor county in 1871 and located near where he now lives. At that time the beautiful city of Lenox had probably not been thought of. He broke and improved several farms, including the one he now owns, which consists of 200 acres, is well improved and in good cultivation. He was married in 1875 to Miss Rosanna Kelley, of Adams county, Illinois. They have three children: Charles, Gertrude and _____. Mr. Rupf has perhaps done as much hard work in the same length of time as any man in the county, and has the supreme satisfaction of knowing that it has not been in vain. He has the reputation of being an honest man which, coupled with his industry, insures a reasonable degree of prosperity.
SAPP, SIMEON, farmer and stock-raiser, section thirty-one, post-office Conway, was born in Ohio in 1830. He there received a liberal education, and learned boot and shoemaking and engaged in the business for several years. He was at one time proprietor of a manufactory at Fostoria, and later, superintended one at Millwood, Ohio. Was married in 1855 to Miss Susan Willis, a native of Massachusetts. They have five children living: Josie, Eugene, Franklin, Rosa and Maggie, and one, Charles W. deceased. Mr. S. became a resident of Taylor county in 1878 and bought a farm of 360 acres and has it well improved, considering the length of time employed upon it. He has a good house and other buildings and purposes making it a number one stock farm. From our knowledge of his industry and perseverance, we doubt not but that he will succeed.
SEIBERT, HENRY, farmer and stock-raiser, post-office Lenox, was born in Berkley county, Virginia, in 1825. When six years of age his parents moved to Ohio, where he attained his majority and received a common school education. While there he was married to Miss Rosanna Ambrose, also a native of the Old Dominion. He came to Iowa in 1865, and bought 160 acres of land in Davis county, on which he lived eleven years. He (page 704) then located in Taylor county, and now owns a farm of 327 acres in excellent cultivation, good buildings, neat yard with a profusion of shade and ornamental trees, and an orchard bearing all kinds of fruit that can be produced in this climate. Everything about his premises bears evidence of system and care on the part of Mr. S. Of their children, eight are now living: Jacob H., George I., M. B., Mary C., Charles E., J. N., Adam A. and Maggie. Two are deceased: F. R., who died in 1876, aged thirty-two and S. F., who died in 1880, aged twenty-three. Mr. Seibert is an honest, industrious man, who is always willing to do a neighborly kindness, and his confidence in the integrity of others has caused him many precuniary losses.
SLATTERY, P. W., farmer, post-office Lenox, was born in Ireland in 1820, and immigrated to the United States in 1847 settling in New York and engaging in farming. In 1851 he went to Canada, bought and improved a farm, and remained there twenty-two years. He came to Taylor county in 1878, and purchased the farm on which he now resides. It consists of 160 acres in good cultivation, with good buildings, orchard, groves, etc. Was married in 1856 to Miss B. Cosgrove, also of Irish birth. This union has been abundantly blessed, having ten children: Johanah, Mary, Kate, Margaret, William, Philip, Ellen, Anna, Thomas and John. Mr. Slattery has had a varied experience since coming to this country, but by industry, perseverance and hard knocks has accumulated a valuable property.
STRONG, VAN R., farmer and stock-raiser, section thirty-four, post-office Conway, is one of the pioneer settlers of Grove township. Was born in Madison county, New York, in 1830. At the age of eighteen he went to Wisconsin, and after remaining there five years, he removed to Illinois. In September, 1861, he enlisted in the Forty-sixth regiment Illinois veteran-volunteers, and served through the entire struggle for the perpetuity of the Union. Subject participated in the battles of Shiloh, Donelson, Bolivar, Tennessee and Vicksburg, where he was taken prisoner, but exchanged after four months' confinement. He then joined his regiment at Vicksburg and took part in all subsequent marches, skirmishes, etc. He veteranized in 1863 and was discharged in February, 1866, at Camp Butler, Illinois. He then returned to his native State and was married soon after to Miss Martha Hodge. From this union there are four children living: George L., Lucinda, Lydia and Phebe. Mr. S. came to Taylor county in 1869, and settled where he now lives. Previous to his coming there were but three families in Grove township. He was appointed township trustee in 1861, and has since held many offices of responsibility, always with the strictest integrity. He now has a good farm of eighty acres, and enjoys the quiet of a comfortable home.
TANDO, EDWARD, farmer, section twenty-seven, post-office Lenox, is a native of Connecticut, and entered this life in 1834. At the age of nine his parents died, since which time he has necessarily depended upon his own efforts. He left his native State when twenty years old, and went to Bureau county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming, and remained seventeen years. He came to Taylor county in 1871, bought and improved a farm of 160 acres, which he subsequently sold, and in 1880 purchased the farm on which he now resides. It is finely situated and contains 120 acres, and is within six and one-half miles of two flourishing railroad towns. He was married early in life to Miss Mary Mathews, of Connecticut, who died in 1872, leaving five children: Henry, John, Julia, Sarah and Hattie. In 1875 Miss Evangeline Shaw became his wife. They are the parents of four children: Albert, Mary, Belle and Elsie.
TEDFORD, WILLIAM, farmer, section twenty-two, post-office Lenox, was born in Tennessee in 1807. When twenty-four years of age he moved to Carrol county, Indiana, being one of the first settlers of that county. In 1853 he came to Iowa and located in Louisa county, where he remained fifteen years, and then moved to Washington county, where he resided until his removal to Taylor county in 1879. Soon after his arrival in this county he purchased a farm and caused it to be conveyed to his son George.. Before leaving Tennessee he was married to Miss Mary B. Orr, a native of that State, by whom he has five children: Elizabeth A., Margaret A., Mary E., Sarah J. and George B. The latter served his country during the rebellion, enlisting in August, 1863, in the Twenty-fifth Iowa volunteer infantry. He was engaged in all the battles fought by Gen. Sherman from his investment of Vicksburg to the termination of his "march to the sea." He was also at the grand review of the armies at Washington in 1865, and was discharged in June of the last named year. Mr. Tedford has lived a long and eventful life, and now, as the shades of his career are falling toward the east, he enjoys the quiet of a peaceful home.
VINCENT, E. G., farmer and stock-raiser, section thirty-two, post-office Conway, was born in Tennessee in 1848. He moved to Illinois when sixteen years of age, and after two years returned to his native State. In 1868 he came to Taylor county for the purpose of improving a portion of a large tract of land which his father and uncle had purchased in 1856. The purchase consisted of 1,800 acres situated in Taylor and Adair counties. He first settled upon and improved a farm of 160 acres in Jackson township, and in 1876 commenced improving the farm on which he now resides, consisting (page 706) of 160 acres of good tillable land. He now has it well fenced (partly with osage orange), and will soon make it one of the most valuable stock-farms in his township. Mr. Vincent was married in February, 1881, to Miss Clara Steele, a native of Ohio, and a lady of intelligence and refinement.
WILLIAMS, I. F., farmer and stock-raiser, section thirty-three, post-office Conway, was born in Illinois, in 1846. He there grew to manhood and received his education, and came to Taylor county in 1869, located, and broke a part of his farm, then returned to Illinois, and was married in 1872, to Miss C. B. Robbins, of Wisconsin. After marriage he went into business at Chicago, and remained there eighteen months, then returned to this county. His farm consists of 320 acres in good cultivation, with orchard, vineyard, grove around the house, and large barn with lots for handling and feeding stock. They have two children: Jesse E. and Mystic Belle. Mr. Williams is a man of energy and doubtless will become one of our most successful farmers.
WINSLOW, RUFUS W., farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty-six, post-office Lenox, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1812. He there grew to maturity and followed farming and lumbering for many years. Was married in 1833 to Miss Nancy Guick, also a native of the Keystone State. From this union there are six children: Harriet, Oliver, Warren, Samuel, Gardiner and Abbie. Our subject moved to Illinois, and while there Mrs. W. passed away. Mrs. Laura Palmer then became his wife, but in two years after this marriage departed this life, leaving one child, Isabelle. In 1866, he married Mrs. Sarah Smith, his present wife, and came to this county in 1869. They lived under their wagon-cover while erecting a cabin, and shortly after taking possession of their new made home it was destroyed by a storm, losing all papers, family records, etc., and his family narrowly escaped from the wreck. Mr. Winslow has now as nice an eighty acre farm as there is in the township. It is all in good cultivation, fenced with osage orange hedge, and has a good house, orchard, vineyard, etc.
WOODRUFF, C. L., farmer, section nineteen, post-office Lenox, was born in Lee county, Illinois, in 1839. At the age of nineteen he went to California via New York and Panama, stayed five years on the Pacific slope engaged in freighting from Sacramento, California, to Virginia City, Nevada, and returned to Illinois in 1864, via Isthmus and Lake Nicaragua. Shortly after his return he enlisted in the Fifteenth regiment Illinois volunteers, and joined his regiment at Morehead City when Sherman was marching to intercept Johnson. He was with the army on their return to Washington, D. C., also at the grand review of the armies at that city, and was discharged in June, 1865. He then returned to Illinois and engaged in farming for one year, then came to northern Iowa, where he was married to Miss Elizabeth Lewis, a native of Indiana and a lady of unusual intelligence. They have two children: Josie May and Willie Ward. Our subject became a resident of this county in 1872, located in Holt township but afterwards disposed of his property and came to where he now lives. His present farm contains eighty-nine acres of excellent land with good buildings, young orchard and ornamental trees.
WRIGHT, JAMES D., Esq., farmer and stock-raiser, post-office Conway, was born in Lewis county, New York, in 1815. When twenty years of age he shipped aboard a Nantucket whaler, and sailed to the South Seas, Indian Ocean and other foreign waters. He visited many of the South Sea Islands, and has now in his possession many curiosities which he gathered from the shoals of the "mighty deep." After a voyage of two years he returned to his native State and cleared up a farm in Lewis county, on which he resided twenty-six years. Mr. Wright was married in 1842 to Miss Jane Ann Parkhurst, a native of Hermiker county, New York. They are the parents of six children: Mary E., Lydia M., Charlotte C., R. J., Sanford P. and Willie E. Mr. and Mrs. Wright became residents of this county in 1869, and were among the first settlers of Grove township. They now own a farm of 120 acres, well improved, with fine orchard and vineyard. The grove which surrounds their residence is one of the finest in the township. Mr. Wright was the first justice of the peace in his township.