Taylor County, Iowa History 1881 by Lyman Evans
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For twenty years the people of this township have longed for a railroad, and have persistently claimed that an east and west line would at some time be built through the southern tier of counties in Iowa, and that it would (page 574) not miss them. In this year of drought, comets and president-murders in 1881, their hopes are being realized. The Humeston & Shenandoah Railroad has been located through the southern part of the township, and the labor of grading it is almost completed. The cars will be running on the first day of January, 1882. The road runs from one-quarter to one-half mile north of Memory. A station will be made at a point one mile east and one-quarter of a mile north of Memory, where the town company of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, has purchased ground and will "lay off" a village that by and by will grow into quite a city. It is located in the midst of as fertile and lively a country as southwest Iowa affords. It is not a country that is new, but it is old and well settled, and the people are generally in excellent financial condition. So a thriving, prosperous town will soon mark the site of the station. Of course it kills Memory, but her good people are not disheartened. They will simply move their buildings and effects to the new town, and begin life with it. And, by the way, that city that has yet to grow has not been nomenclatured. It will be called either Stockton or New Memory. Some of the old settlers desire to see it given the name first mentioned, in honor of one of the pioneers of Dallas township.
A settlement was begun in Dallas township, near Memory, in 1848. Just who was the first settler we have been unable to find out. Alex. Duncan came to the township in 1849, and settled on section thirty, where he now resides. At that time there were four families in the township; Samuel Scarlett's, Eli Pangburn's Daniel McAlpin's and Mr. Prickett's. D. A. Thompson came from Clinton county, Ohio to Dallas township in 1856, and located on section nineteen. Mr. Thompson still owns the same premises, although he is living at Hawleyville, just over the line in Page county. Pat Smith, a genial son of the Emerald Isle, sojourned on section nineteen at the time Mr. Thompson came. His quarter was the northeast, and Mr. Thompson's the southwest. The other settlers of the township then were Eli Pangburn, on the northwest quarter of section twenty; Alex. Duncan. the southwest of thirty; Jose Philpott, who is now in business at Buchanan, Polk Township, southwest of eighteen; Daniel McAlpin, northeast of thirty; John McLain, southwest of twenty; Esquire Dunn, on section twenty-six; Jonathan Adams on section twenty-five; Luke Rawlins on section seven; Job Turner on section fourteen; Mr. Pointer on section thirty-one, and John Crout, also on the same. William Glasgow came in 1857, and located on section ten. Michael and James Judge settled in the township in 1856, and also Mr. Cade and Mr. McBride. David Hawkins settled on section (page 575) thirty-two. Then there was Nathan Helmick, who lived at Memory. He is now dead, but his children are living in this and Page counties.
The first Methodist service in the township was held at Mr. Helmick's residence by the Rev. Isaac Kelly, who, in the days of long ago, was well and favorably known in southwestern Iowa. In 1859, Rev. Samuel Farlow, a pioneer Methodist, began preaching
at Byrkit Johnson's, who lived one mile and half southeast of Hawleyville. There was also Methodist sermonizing at the house of Samuel Scarlatt, who resided five miles southeast of Hawleyville.
The first religious services in the township were in the interests of the Cumberland Presbyterians. The Rev. J. M. Stockton, a resident of Dallas, has the honor of being the first man to talk God's immortal truths to the pioneers, here, and elsewhere, in Taylor county. This good man, whom all admired with a veneration akin to worship, died in 1874. Judge T. R. Stockton, of Sidney, is a son of his. Another son resides in Ross township.
In 1856 or 1857 Rev. James M. Smith, a Baptist missionary from Indiana, held meetings in the township; but that denomination was without an organization there until the past summer.
The religious organizations of Dallas township are, the Cumberland Presbyterian, in the center of the township, a congregation at the old town of Memory, the Christians at Prairie Gem school-house, M. E. Church at Dallas Center school-house, M. E. Church at Memory, Free Methodists at Glasgow school-house, Free Methodists at the Valley school-house, and Baptists at Memory.
The Christian organization began in 1860. The original members were Thomas Prickett, Isaac Prickett, Hannah Prickett, Melinda Ray, Catharine Prickett, Hannah Ray and James Ray. The pastors have been the Rev. Hobbs, Dr. Baker, Rev. Peregrine, Rev. Cook, Rev. January, Rev. Warren and Rev. Dunlavy. The present pastor is Rev. Parkhurst, of Missouri. The membership is about sixty. Services are had at the Prairie Gem school-house, which is located on the west side of the township.
At the center of Dallas township the Cumberland Presbyterians have just completed a church edifice 32 x 44 feet at a cost of $1,500. The church was first organized in 1871 by Rev. J. M. Stockton. The first members of this organization were S. R. Jamison and wife, J. S. Taylor and wife, J. W. White and wife, I. W. Abbott and wife, William Taylor and H. A. Riggle. The pastors who have been in charge are Rev. J. M. Stockton, Rev. A. Rippstoe, Rev. W. C. Means and Rev. H. W. Zentz. The present pastor is Rev. J. D. M. Buckner. The membership is thirty-five. The church has been in a constant state of growth, but its progress has been much hindered (Page 576) by death of pastors and removal of members. The building of the church was the result of necessity.
At Memory there is a congregation of Cumberland Presbyterians of which Rev. H. W. Zentz is pastor. It was organized November 24, 1878, with the following original members: H. W. Zentz, Mary Zentz, J. J. Craft, Almira Craft, J. D. Nelson, Jesse Hughes, John Weaver, Mrs. Weaver, Mrs. Davis, Laura Liggett, William Burlingame, Mrs. Burlingame and Mrs. Lamphart. The organization has now grown to a membership of thirty. One of its chief members, J. J. Craft, died June 15, 1880. Two have been dismissed by letter. The congregation has a steady growth and a good interest is manifested.
Dallas Center M. E. Church was organized in 1873. The first members were John C. Taylor, Jonas Williams and wife, L. A. McDonald and wife, and James Bramble and wife. The pastors have been Rev. Lovejoy, Rev. Farlow, Rev. Everly and Rev. Bishop. The present pastor is Rev. J. P. Evans. The membership is about thirty. A church will be built soon. The funds are now partly raised.
The Free Methodists are organized at Valley school-house. They commenced in 1877. Rev. John Scott first preached there, and he was followed by Rev. Robert Scott. The organization numbers twenty members.
The Free Methodists are also established at Glasgow school-house, and have been preached to by the pastors above mentioned. The membership is fourteen.
The Baptists started a regular organization at Memory, began some time during the present year. There has long been Baptist preaching there, but no organization. They have thirteen members. The pastor is Elder Carmichael.
The Memory Methodist Church was organized more than twenty years ago. Isaac Damewood was the first class-leader; Rev. Blagrow, a local preacher, first expounder of the gospel. In 1879 a church-building was erected, which is a very creditable one. It was dedicated under Rev. Carey's pastorate. Rev. J. Hildebrand was sent in charge by the late Des Moines conference. The church membership is about 150 and embraces many of the oldest citizens of that vicinity. A large and prosperous sabbath-school is connected with the church.
One of the institutions of Dallas township that deserves mention is the normal school of Rev. H. W. Zentz, who is a teacher of twenty-five years' steady experience. He is thoroughly educated, and delights in preparing teachers for successful and popular results in the school-room. During the vacation months of the summer his normal is in session, and it meets with (page 577) marked encouragement. Hereafter the new railroad town will be the headquarters for the professor's normals.
The first school house in the township was erected in the fall of 1857. Its projectors were D.A. Thompson, A. Duncan, Eli Pangburn, Jose Phillpott, Daniel McAlpin and Pat Smith. It took considerable planning, twisting and economy before their ambitions met with success. The size of the building was 18 x 24 feet. In those days it went by the name of the "Pangburn school-house." To-day it is known as the "Prairie Gem." Ezra Quincy built it, contracting to do the work for $270. It is made entirely of native lumber. Here the township elections were held, and here the public business was transacted. Lately the old structure has been torn down, and a new and larger school-house stands in its place. The next school-house that was built was the "Dunn," in 1860. The first school Jane Farrens taught, and it was a good one. In fact, Dallas township schools have ever been good, ranking among the best in the county.
The township held its first election in 1857, at the residence of Michael Judge. There were about twelve votes cast, there being just voters enough to fill the township offices. Some declined to serve, and thus two positions were thrust upon one or more. D. A. Thompson was obliged to serve as justice of the peace and township clerk. His docket was a few loose sheets of foolscap paper, and his office was out on the prairie or under the shade of a tree. The litigants would gather, trade yarns and wait for the dinner-horn to sound. They always took dinner with the 'squire in those days; (page 578) and after their stomachs were filled they felt melted toward each other. They could see no sense in "lawing," and straightway would compromise, thus cheating the justice of his fees, as well as causing him the expense of their dinners. So it is reasonable to presume that 'Squire D. A. Thompson didn't get rich as a justice of the peace of Dallas township. In this connection it will be proper to remark that the 'squire himself once had a lawsuit. He had bought a lot of fine logs in Cincinnati, Ohio, and had them shipped to Dallas township, or as near there as the express ran. They were fine ones, and were the first brought to Taylor county. At the fair that year they attracted much attention, and went home the winners of the first premiums. The male hog when dressed and ready for the "brine" weighed 445 pounds. Well, an accident, or misfortune befell this wonderful porker, and the 'squire went to law to secure compensation and his rights. He employed Hon. N. B. Moore, then a citizen of Bedford, to prosecute his claim. The trial was begun, and somehow the 'squire got it into his head that Moore was going to lose him his case. So he dropped it and paid the costs, which amounted to $30. This he did against Moore's earnest protest. This being Moore's first case in the county his feelings were much disturbed, and he could see nothing but ruin staring him in the face, so he persuaded 'Squire Thompson to let him open hostilities again, which he did. The result was a judgment of seventy-five dollars for his client. From that day N. B. Moore had a reputation as one of the best attorneys in the State.
In the fall of 1851 Erastus Thompson and Jane Farrens were married. This was the first ceremony of the kind in the township. In November, 1855, John Townsend and a daughter of Matthew L. Davis were united in wedlock. This was probably the second wedding. One Sunday in 1858 'Squire Thompson was called upon to marry William Coker and a sister of Alex. Duncan. The entire people of that vicinity gathered to witness the ceremony. The 'squire got through with it, but how he doesn't know. He can remember only the phrase, "I pronounce you man and wife."
At an early day a son of Mr. Thomas killed himself and was buried at Hawleyville. John Paris lost two children and they were buried at the Pangburn school-house. These were the first deaths in the county.
The winter of 1856 and 1857 was remarkable for its severity and length. It brought hard times to the settlers of Dallas - times harder by far than the hard-times' croakers of to-day have ever dreamed of. When the springtime came in 1857 there wasn't a bushel of corn in Dallas township. The crops of 1856 had been light, especially wheat, and an early frost nipped the corn before it had ripened. Cattle suffered, and many died of starvation. Some were kept alive by elm trees, which were cut down, the cattle eating (Page 579) the bark off them. Many were without provisions. Money was scarce, and teams were so poor and haggard from hunger that a journey was almost an impossibility. But the enterprising pioneers managed to gather up and get down to "Egypt," as they called Missouri, to buy corn. They had to go seventy miles, and corn cost them one dollar and twenty-five cents per bushel. This was in the ear, and laid cross way so that the purchaser really didn't get more than a bushel measure three quarters full. Flour was as scarce as corn and was worth seven dollars per hundred pounds, and seventy miles to travel to get it!
The first wheat raised in Dallas township was threshed by being tramped out on the ground by the feet, and was winnowed with a sheet. This experience was that of all early settlers in Dallas and other townships. After their harvests were threshed in this manner the people of Dallas hauled their wheat to Hawleyville, and had it "cracked" at Uncle Tommy East's mill. It was then bolted by hand. Yet the people of those days were happy in a genuine and honest way. Those of them who are now living, and are wealthy, often sigh for those good old times when it was a struggle to keep the wolf from their doors.
Amanda Duncan, daughter of Alex. Duncan, was the first female birth in the township. This was May 20, 1850. Joseph Pointer was the first male child. He was born in 1852.
The nearest flouring-mill was nine miles southeast of Maryville, and thither were the grists hauled to be ground. Later, however, a mill was erected at Hardeyville, which saved many a long and tedious journey.
ABBOTT, I. W., farmer, section twenty-seven, post-office Memory, a native of Ohio, was born in Cincinnati, November 8, 1842. When eight years of age his parents moved to Jennings county, Indiana, where they remained a half decade. In 1858 they came to Iowa and stopped at New London for a time, then moved to and located in Lee county. August 14, 1863, he enlisted in company H, Ninth Iowa cavalry, and served two years. Was detailed eighteen months in small-pox hospital, at Arsenal Island near Saint Louis. He returned to his home in Lee county, in June, 1865, and engaged in the mercantile business and continued in that occupation three years, when he came to Taylor county and purchased his present farm in Dallas township. He was married August 30, 1863, and has a family of eight children: Frank, Edward, Mary, John, Charles, Daisy, Waldo and Clarissa. Mr. Abbott has a good farm well watered and admirably adapted to the raising of both stock and grain. He has always taken great interest in public affairs and has filled all the township offices and is now serving as justice of the peace.
BRAMBLE, JAMES, farmer, section twenty-eight, post-office Memory, a native of Ohio, born in Brown county, September 6, 1836. The first sixteen years of his life were spent in his native county where he worked on a farm and attended the common schools. In 1852 he moved to La Salle (page 677) county, Illinois, and made that his home for seventeen years. August 12, 1862 he enlisted in company D, One Hundred and Fourth Illinois and served until the close of the war. Was discharged at Nashville, Tennessee, in June, 1865, and returned to Illinois and engaged at farming in La Salle county. He came to Taylor county in the spring of 1869, and was married February 14, 1866, to Miss Belle Cobb, of Adams county, Ohio. They are the parents of five children: Lizzie, Ada, Bertha, Pearly and Leroy. Mr. Bramble is in possession of an excellent farm of 160 acres, all in cultivation, good buildings, orchards and other requisites to a comfortable home. He is largely engaged in stock growing. Mr. Bramble and lady are members of the M. E. Church.
CRAIG, WILLIAM, farmer, section twenty-eight, post-office Memory; born in Warren county, Ohio, March 21, 1833, where he grew to manhood on a farm, and received a liberal common-school education. August 1, 1862, he enlisted in company B, Seventy-ninth Ohio, and participated in the battles of Resaca, Bentonville, Peach Orchard, etc., and was with Sherman on his famous march to the sea. Discharged at Raleigh, North Carolina, in June, 1865. Attended the grand review of the armies at Washington and returned to his home, where he remained one year than moved to Mercer county, Illinois and engaged in farming. In the spring of 1874 he came to this county and settled in Benton township, lived there one year then moved to his present farm. On New Year's Day, 1868, he married Miss Sarah J. Reynolds, of Mercer county, Illinois. They have two children: Samuel and Daniel. Mr. Craig has a farm of eighty acres, well improved, good buildings and an abundance of fine fruits. He is an energetic industrious man, of good habits and respected by all who know him.
DUNCAN, A., farmer, section thirty, post-office Hawleyville; born in Calvary county, Missouri, July 5, 1825. His early life was spent on a farm and when seventeen he moved to Buchanan county, same State, where he lived until 1852. At that date he came to Taylor county and located on his present farm which was then a wild tract devoid of the first evidence of civilization. Subject enlisted August 15, 1862, in company F, Twenty-ninth Iowa cavalry, Col. Benton commanding. He took part in the battles of Helena and Sabine River, and was captured at the latter engagement and held a prisoner ten months, after which he was paroled and returned to his home where he remained about six weeks and was then ordered to report at Saint Louis, which he did and was sent from there to Davenport, at which place he was discharged and again returned to his home. March 15, 18__, he married Miss Mary Jane Dillon of Nodaway county, Missouri. They (page 678) have eleven children: Amanda E. (the first white child born in Dallas township), Elizabeth Jane, Martha Ann, Jno. Harry, Nancy Emmeline, Laura Eldora, William Grant, Silas Porterfield, Arizona May, Cora Arminda and Maud Alice. Mr. Duncan is located on a farm of 122 acres, nicely situated, good house, barn and orchard. Excepting Mr. Crout, he is the oldest settler in the township.
HICKS, JAMES A., farmer and stock-raiser, post-office Hawleyville, was born in Habersham county, Georgia; June 5, 1830. He moved, with his parents, to Owen county, Indiana, when about five years of age, and remained there nearly twenty years. He received a common school education. He came to Taylor county in 1856 and settled in Washington township, and aided in the organization of that township. In October, 1864, he was mustered into the United States service in company H, Sixteenth Iowa infantry, and served nearly one year. His service was mostly skirmishing. He was with Sherman on his march to the sea. Was honorably discharged at Davenport, and returned to his home, in this county, since which he has been engaged in farming. He came to his present location in 1873. Was married in 1852 to Miss Lidia Cobbett, of Indiana, by whom he had three children: Elizabeth, N. G. and Seymour C. Mrs. H. departed this life December 16, 1857. Subject again married August 16, 1858, this time to Miss Winnie M. Hicks, of Warren county, this State, but formerly of Indiana. They were the parents of seven children: William, Ellen E., H. B., Nettie J., Sarah Ann., Bertie M. and Clara B. Mrs. Hicks died February 27, 1881. She had been a consistent member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Hicks is a man of intelligence and good business qualifications. He has held several township offices, and is now serving his third term as justice of the peace. He has a fine farm of 167 acres, good buildings, yard set with shade and ornamental trees, and one of the finest young orchards in the county.
JAMISON, S. R., farmer, section twenty-seven, post-office Memory, was born in Perry county, Indiana, March 9, 1828. He moved with his parents to Henderson county, Illinois, when about two years of age, ascending the Mississippi on the Chieftain, the first vessel that ran that far up the river. There he grew to manhood, aiding his parents on the farm and attending the common school. He was also a student in a seminary in Knox county, for a time. After leaving school he engaged in teaching two years. Was married June 32, 1849, to Miss Delia C. Segnor, a native of New York. Mrs. J. died November 23, 1855. The following year, while visiting in Kentucky, he met Miss Parthena N. Prewitt. They were united in marriage August 12, 1856. Returned to the Sucker State where he engaged (page 679) in teaching during the winter of 1856-7. In the following spring he went to Kansas and remained one year, then returned to Illinois. He came to Iowa in 186_, and located in Montgomery county, and made that his home two years, then came to Taylor county and purchased his present farm. Mr. J. has a nice farm well improved, and is considered one of the most successful farmers in Dallas township. He united with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1841, and has since been an earnest supporter and consistent member of that denomination. His family consists of six children: A. W., Mary E., Gertrude, Harvey N., N. P. and George E.
LATHROP, MILO, farmer and stock-dealer, section twenty-two, post-office, Hawleyville, is a native of the Buckeye State, born in Sandusky county, September 19, 1831. When twelve years old his parents moved to Scott county, this State, where he arrived at man's estate and received a common school education. In 1858 he, in company with his brother George L., built a grist-mill at Oxford, Jones county, and engaged in milling about eight years. He came to Taylor county in the spring of 1876, where he has since resided. March 6, 1861, he married Miss Sarah Louisa Lefingwell, of Trumbull county, Ohio. She is a daughter of Edwin Lefingwell, and is a lady of great culture and refinement. They are the parents of nine children: Edwin Lefingwell, Milo Earnest, Harly Irvin, Mary L., Charles H., Sarah Eliza, George Albert, Philip Lee and Guy Fenton. Mr. L. has one of the best stock farms in Taylor county. It consists of 520 acres, highly improved, with fine house, barn, etc. His yearly stock sales amount to nearly $6,000. Mr. and Mrs. L. are members of the Presbyterian Church, and are ever ready to assist in whatever tends to advance the moral and social interests of the people.
LEAPHART, WILLIAM P., farmer, section twenty-nine, post-office Memory, is a native of the Keystone State, born February 14, 1840. While quite young his parents moved to McDonough county, Illinois, where he made his home until 1869. He responded to his country's call August 9, 1861, enlisting in the Tenth Missouri, Col. Harding, commanding. He participated in the battles of Corinth, Vicksburg, Iuka, and others of minor consequence. In 1863 he was detailed for special service. He was discharged in August, 1864, having served faithfully three years, and braved all the hardships of war. He then returned to his home in McDonough county, Illinois, and in the fall of 1869 came to Taylor county. December 24, 1865, he was married to Miss Sarah E. Baldock, a native of Kentucky. They have seven children: Henrietta E., John E., Rebecca Jane, May Edna, Freddy E., Charles Evard and George. Mr. Leaphart's farm consists of (page 680) sixty acres, well improved, good house, out-buildings, and orchard. He is an excellent farmer and a number one man.
MORGAN, R. H., farmer, section twenty-one, post-office Hawleyville, is a native of the Hoosier State, born in Dubois county, April 2, 1840. When thirteen years of age his parents came to this county. Since then our subject has made this his home. He enlisted August 27, 1861, in the Fourth Iowa cavalry. Participated in the battles at Milliken's Bend, Jackson, Selma and Columbus. At the siege of Vicksburg his company was detailed to obstruct the road against Johnson's army. At Columbus, Georgia, his company lost nineteen out of thirty-two men engaged. The Fourth Iowa was the first to charge the heavy works, and our subject captured a rebel flag, for which he received a medal from Congress in consideration of his gallantry. His company went one hundred and ten strong and returned with only twelve. In 1864 Mrs. Morgan went to Memphis, Tennessee, to see her husband. While she was there his regiment engaged with Forrest. Subject was discharged in August, 1865, at Davenport, Iowa, and returned at once to his home. Was married in April, 1861, to Miss Sarah E. Pace, of this county. Their children are six: Lotta, Martha E., Anna, Augustus, Elizabeth and a babe. Mr. M. is located on a good farm of eighty acres, well improved; fine residence, large barn and orchard, etc. He is a man of great energy and is considered favorably by all who know him.
RAWLINS, LUKE, farmer, section seven, post-office Hawleyville, is a native of the Sucker State, born July 25, 1831. When eight years old his parents moved to Fulton county, of that State; remained there three years then went to Ogle county, and in 1843 came to Iowa and settled in Clinton county. There our subject attained his majority. His youth was spent on a farm; his education acquired in the common schools. In November, 1854, he came to Taylor county and entered a portion of his present farm. November 23, 1855, he received the hand of Miss Elizabeth Scholey in marriage. They have nine children: Elgin Albert, Emily E., Elizabeth C., May, Hallery, Alta E., Viva, Luke and a babe. Mr. R. is located on a fine farm of four hundred and fifty-five acres, in good cultivation, fine house, commodious barn and one of the best orchards in Taylor county. He is engaged in stock-growing and feeding.
ROBERTS, D., farmer, section thirty, post-office Memory, was born August 25, 1835, in Tazewell county, Illinois; raised on a farm and educated in the common schools. When the dark cloud of war hung over our land he was one of the first to go to the front in its defense. He enlisted in company B, Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry and carried the colors three years. Was in sixteen engagements: at the siege of Vicksburg, in Bank's Red River (page 681) expedition, at Iuka, Corinth, Champion's Hill and others of less importance. Was mustered out at Springfield, Illinois, in October, 1864. His company had marched 2,554 miles and had been transported 7,000 miles. After his discharge he returned home and in May, 1865, came to this county. In September, of that year, he bought his present farm. Was married January 23, 1867, to Miss Eliza A. McAlpin, of this county, a lady of varied accomplishments. Four children have blessed their union: Henry B., Lemuel Ed., Clarence and Eliza-Ellora. Subject has a fine farm of 173 acres, good residence, large barn, orchard, etc. Is now engaged in growing and feeding stock. Mr. and Mrs. R. are members of the M. E. Church.
WEAVER, S., farmer and stock-raiser, section twenty-six, post-office Memory. Born in Monroe county, Indiana, February 4, 1841. Was reared and educated in his native State. Came to Taylor county in 1858, locating in this township. Went to southeastern Kansas in 1871, but not liking the country returned in the fall of that year. Two years later he located on his present farm. Was married in Page county, Iowa, to Miss Lewya A. Carmichael, the ceremony being performed March 2, 1865. Mrs. W. is a native of the Hoosier State, born December 16, 1848. They have six children: Matilda Emmeline, Amanda Elizabeth, Wm. Thos., Effie Rosetta, Mary Agnes and Nettie A. Mr. W. has a fine little farm of forty acres, beautifully situated, well improved, and intends making it one of the best little farms in the township. He is a man of good judgment, is industrious and commands the respect of those with whom he is associated.
ZENTZ, Prof. H. WELKER, post-office Memory, is a native of Stark county, Ohio, born November 17, 1836. His father died when subject was but eleven years of age. Received a common school education. Studied philosophy, chemistry and the other higher branches at home by the light of a bark fire after his day's work had been performed. Would often sit up until two and three o'clock in the morning studying his books while all else was enjoying repose; such were the circumstances under which our subject acquired his education. His life has been one of perpetual study. Received instruction in elocution from Prof. Henry and received a diploma after completing his course. Taught one term of school in his native State. Came to Indiana when fifteen years of age and engaged in teaching. Enlisted in October, 1861, in the Forty-seventh Indiana volunteers. Mustered in as fourth sergeant. Participated in the battle of New Madrid. Was with Pope at Island No. 10, also in the capture of Memphis; in the White River and Yazoo Pass expeditions, in which our subject experienced the greatest dangers of his military career. During a severe storm, while on the Tallahatchie River, one end of the steamer broke its fastening, and swinging (page 682) around against a tree, broke off the guards, throwing subject and twelve others overboard. Making a desperate leap he succeeded in gaining the vessel and threw a coil of rope to his companions, by which means they were rescued. Returning he participated in the siege and capture of Vicksburg. His regiment was then transferred to the Department of the Gulf. Took part in the fights at Carrion Crow Bayou and Vermillion. Went to New Orleans and was commissioned first-lieutenant in the Eighty-sixth U.S.C. infantry. Mustered out June 11, 1865, per order of Gen. Canby, on account of physical disability. Returned to the Hoosier State and engaged in teaching. Was married April 2, 1863, to Miss Margaret Sowers, a native of Indiana. They had one child. Mrs. Z. and child died in May, 1856. Subject was again married in 1859, to Miss Mary Bowman. From this union there are two children: Clarice Lilian and Elmer E. Came to Iowa in 1867. Located in Appanoose county, where for ten years he engaged in teaching. Also taught several normal schools in Marion county. Became a resident of Taylor county in October, 1877, locating at Memory. Since his residence in that place he has been engaged in teaching school and in ministerial labors. Has conducted several normals at Memory. Was ordained a minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church previous to his coming to this country and has since had care of the Memory charge and two others south of that place. He is a man of great energy and ability. Has taught upwards of one hundred three-months' terms of school, is in possession of a large library and is esteemed an able educator and Christian gentleman.