Early Reminiscences, Personal Incidents and Anecdotes,
And A Complete Business Directory Of The County
By Samuel D. Chapman 1879
Contributed by Patty Delmott and Transcribed by Cyndi Vertrees
Grant township was organized in the year 1868, and named in honor of ex-President Grant. The township lies in 86 north range 15 west.
The first record we have of its settlement was in the year 1857, when Conklin, and Cornelius Gay, came and built their cabin on section 25. Soon after Evander Murdock built on section 23.
The township is prairie with timber along the streams which intersect it at different parts. It is well watered by Twelve advantages to the township as a stock raising section.
The beautiful little grove known as Five Mile Grove in this township, was the scene of the horrible murder of the boy Stopp, at the hands of one Olislaugher, of which we make mention elsewhere.
We give the following list of township officers.
Justices: - W. Kline, T. Weir, C. Fleming, W. C. Seeley, J. R. Davis, J. Stanley, J. McCreath, A. Mitchell.
Clerks: - J. C. Fleming, W. Evans, R. H. Dodd, W. Mitchell.
Trustees: W. Kline, J. H. Scott, J. Stanley, A.
Mitchell, J. Young, L. P. Dinsdale, E. S. Bennett, J.
Leonard, R. Whannel, J. Wilson, J. Nichols, G. Maron.