Early Reminiscences, Personal Incidents and Anecdotes,
And A Complete Business Directory Of The County
By Samuel D. Chapman 1879
Contributed by Patty Delmott and Transcribed by Cyndi Vertrees
This township lies in 84 north, 14 west, and is bounded on the north by Perry, on the east by Oneida, on the south by Otter Creek and on the west by Howard, and is about equally divided between timber and prairie land. The southern portion is broken and hilly, while on the north it is principally rolling praiarie (sic). The soil is of a good quality and the farmers are among the best in the County. Within the past ten years great improvements have been made. The old log houses haven given place to the stylish modern residence; straw sheds to large frame structures. Everything betokens a change for the better.
This is a good stock section and considerable attention is given to this branch of industry.
Its first settlement was in 1853. Levi Haworth, Nathan Fisher and Joseph Powell coming in at this date and improving farms on sections 21, 22 and 23, in the southern part of the township. Then a little later came E. Fee, Adam, Andrew and Asa Wise, N. Harmon, L. Kibbee, Wm. Himes, Wm Randolph, John Collins, John Cox, F. Bates and J. L. Stewart, all improving farms in different parts of the township. In the year 1857, a petition signed by N. Fisher and others was presented to the County Judge, J. C. Vermilya, praying for the organization of a new township to be known as Carroll. The petition was granted and the first election was held at the dwelling house of N. Fisher, for the purpose of choosing township officers.
The first marriage was that of Mr. A. Haworth to Miss E. Fee, in the year of 1856.
The first death was Samuel Bailey, who died in 1855.
The first birth was Eli, son of Levi and P. Haworth, April 25, 1855.
The first school was taught by Miss M. A. fisher, in the year 1854.
Rev. D. Petterfish, preached the first sermon at the house of N. Fisher, in the summer of 1853, Mr. Petterfish was of the Methodist denomination.
The township is watered by Salt Creek and its tributaries, rendering it a well and plentifully watered township.
Justices: T. McEltree, E. Bailey, W. Randolph, N. Jarvis, N. Harmon, W. A. Fee, S. Doolittle, H. Bailey, H. C. Foster, G. M. Fee, A. Wise, C. B. Quintard, J. Fowler, A. M. Smith, J. C. McNeil.
Clerks: N. Harmon, W. Randolph, A. Maiden, S. Doolittle, J. H. Crawford, J. And A. Wise, L. H. Powell, J. M. Smith, J. Roberts.
Trustees: E. Fee, L. Haworth, J. Powell, A.
Wise, J. collings, T. McEltree, N. Jarvis, J. H. Fee, W.
L. McNeil, A. Childers, R. Morrow, A. M. Smith, H. C.
foster, A. C. Cochran, J. T. Surgace, G. B. Lawon, L.
Powsell, N. Harmon, J. O’Neil, F. A. Belt, A Loder, R.