Story County IAGenWeb

Story County Towns and Post Offices

Story County


AmesThe most populous city in Story County having 47,193 people in 1990, Ames is located in Washington and Franklin Townships. It had a population of about 2,500 in 1902. The home of Iowa State University, the National Animal Desease Laboratory, and the headquarters of the Iowa Highway Commission.
AshurstThis was briefly the name of Zearing in the early 1880's. When the railway arrived, the railroad company called the station Ashurst.
Ballard's GroveLocated in the north part of section 24 of Palestine Township, Ballard's Grove was the first settlement in Story County, named after the Ballards who first laid claims in 1847. Brothers Daniel & Morman settled there on March 8, 1848 to be joined by their father Simon that autumn. The grove originally covered parts of sections 18 and 19 in Union Township; and parts of 12, 13, 14, 23 and 24 in Palestine Township.
BloomingtonAn abandoned town created in 1857 in the center of section 25 of Franklin Township near Ames. It was on what is now Old Bloomington Road between North Dayton Avenue and Stagecoach Road. Its post office between 1858 and 1867 was named Camden.
BoardmanThis was a railway station on the Northwestern line located in Lafayette Township about two miles north of Gilbert. It was also a post office from 1878 to 1883.
CambridgeThis town is located on section 21 of Union Township. Its population in 1902 was about 800 and in 1990 was 711.
CamdenThe post office for Bloomington between 1858 and 1867.
CampusUnknown, but likely a rail station or post office for the college in Ames.
Center GroveThis grove once covered parts of sections 15, 22, 23, 25. 26 and 36, but much of the larger timber was gone by 1887.
ColbyvilleA post office just south of Huxley in Palestine Township from 1871 to 1875.
College FarmA post office from 1862 to 1866 at the current location of Iowa State University.
CollegetonThis abandoned town was laid out in 1863 in anticipation of a railroad station which was instead located in Ames. It was located in what is now Ames on the south side of Lincoln Highway in section 9 of Washington Township.
CollinsLocated in sections 20 and 21 of Collins Township. The population in 1902 was nearly 600 and in 1990 was 428.
Collins CenterA post office from 1879 to 1881 in the central part of Collins Township.
ColoLocated in section 8 of New Albany Township at the intersection of the Lincoln Highway (old Highway 30) and Highway 65, both major highways in the days before the interstate highways were built. The population in 1902 was about 400 and in 1990 was 798.
Dalton CommunityAn area south of Colo as early as the 1860's. Site of the United Brethren Dalton Church for 50 years beginnng 1866.
DaytonAn abandoned town laid out in 1854 in the northwest quarter of section 9 of Indian Creek Township but not much improved.
DefianceAn abandoned town laid out in 1856 in the north part of section 36 of Collins Township.
ElwellThis town was located on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway at the border of section 30 of Indian Creek Township and section 25 of Union Township. Founded before 1856. In 1902 it had a population of about 50.
FairviewFairview was laid out in 1855. It was incorporated into the younger town of Story City in December, 1881. The post office at Fairview was initially called Story City.
FernaldFernald is located in section 24 of Richland Township. While the town is still physically there it is no longer a governing entity.
GilbertLocated in sections 4 and 9 of Franklin Township, north of Ames. It is bisected by 170th street. The intersection of 170th street and Highway 69 is known as Gilbert's Corner. The population in 1990 was 801.
Gilbert StationThe name of the railroad station and town at what is now Gilbert. Old maps show that the land was originally owned by H. Gilbert. In 1902 Gilbert's Station had a population of about 300.
GoshenThis was a post office from 1854 to 1858 in the northeastern part of section 21 of Indian Creek Township.
HuxleyLocated in Palestine Township. The population 1902 was about 200 and in 1990 was 2,108.
Illinois GroveA location in the northeastern part of Lincoln Township. It was mostly in Marshall County but some residents had a Zearing postal address.
Iowa CenterThis town was located north of Maxwell on the southern part of the boundary of sections 9 and 10 of Indian Creek Township. It was located on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway and was once the second largest town in Story County. Being at the geographical center of Iowa, it once had aspirations to be the state capitol. It had a post office of the same name from 1858 to 1913. Its population in 1902 was 400. At that time daily stages ran between Iowa Center and Maxwell.
Johnson's GroveA post office from 1877 to 1880 in section 26 of Richland Township in the home of W.M. Kelly.
KelleyLocated at section 32 of Washington Township and section 5 of Palestine Township. The population in in 1902 was about 200 and in 1990 was 246.
LatrobeOnce the name of the post office for McCallsburg. It was active in 1883.
MaxwellLocated in sections 22 and 27 of the Indian Creek Township. The population in 1902 was about 900 and in 1990 was 852.
McCallsburgLocated in Warren Township. The population in 1901 was about 300 and in 1990 was 285.
MidvaleA location north of Huxley in Palestine Township on Highway 69.
NevadaThe county seat. Located in Nevada and Grant Townships. The population in 1902 was about 2,500 and in 1990 was 6,009.
Nevada StationUnknown, but likely the early name for the rail station in Nevada.
New AlbanyLaid out in 1885 in the west half of the southeast quarter of section 18 in New Albany Township. Located about two miles southwest of Colo, it vanished after the railway came in nearby.
New PhiladelphiaLaid out in 1855 at the north part of the boundary of sections 5 and 6 of Washington Township. It was also the post office name from 1859 to 1869. It prospered until 1864 when the Northwestern railway was located about one-half mile north where the town of Ontario was built. It became the southern part of the town of Ontario and is now within the city limits of Ames.
OntarioAn abandoned town which was located in the southeast corner of section 31 of Franklin Township. It had a population of 300 in 1902. Today it is within the city limits of Ames near Ontario Street and North Dakota Road.
PalestineA town laid out in 1857 in section 14 of Palestine Township. It had a post office of that name.
Peoria CityThis pioneer town was at the south edge of section 35 of Indian Creek Township. Most of the town was located in Polk County.
P LA historical post office in Washington Township near or at the current location of Iowa State University.
Point PalestineThe name of the post office at Palestine from 1861 to 1869.
Prairie CityLaid out in 1854 in the center of section 31 of Milford Township. It was never developed beyond a single house.
RolandSurveyed in 1881 and located in Howard Township. Roland was a post office name from about 1870. Settled by Norwegians from Kendall County, Illinois. The population in 1902 was about 600 and in 1990 was 1,035.
SheffieldA post office in the southwestern part of Howard Township from 1857 to 1866 when it was vacated.
SheldahlLocated on the southwest corner of Palestine Township, spilling over into Polk and Boone Counties. The population in 1902 was about 200 and in 1990 was 316.
ShipleyLocated in section 23 of Grant Township.
SlaterLocated adjacent to Sheldahl in the southwest corner of Palestine Township. The population in 1902 was about 500 and in 1990 was 1,258.
SmayvilleA pioneer town in the northeastern part of section 31 in Sherman Township, about two miles north of present-day Colo. It had a post office from April 14, 1886 to July 28, 1886.
SmithfieldA town laid off in October, 1854 on the southwest quarter of section 18 of Howard Township. Not developed.
StoryA post office from 1877 to 1878 for Sunset.
Story CityStory City was laid out in 1878. The town of Fairview was incorporated into it in 1881. Story City was also the initial name of the post office for the Fairview area starting about 1857. The population in 1902 was 1,500 and in 1990 was 2,959.
SummitSummit was located in the southeast quarter of section 21 of Lafayette Twp. in Story County on the William S. Johnson farm. It was called Summit because it was the "highest" spot in Story County. It was tiny coal mine town three miles north of Gilbert and four miles southwest of Story City near Center Cemetery in Lafayette Township. The mine was opened in April of 1893 but a there was a tragic fire on Oct. 11, 1895. The Summit mine continued operation through 1922. Summit was a post office in Story County from 1894 to 1901.
SunsetLocated about 1/2 mile northwest of Zearing. It was a post office from 1878 to 1881. Later it was the Adam Ruxton farm.
Willow GroveA post office from 1871 to 1879 in section 25 of Lafayette Township.
ZearingLaid out in 1881. The original railroad station was called Ashurst and briefly both names were used for the town. The population in 1990 was 621.
ZenorsvilleWest of Gilbert at the west edge of Franklin Township. Nothing else known.
ZumwaltProbably Zumwalt Station at the southwest corner of Ames where Zumwalt Station Park and Zumwalt Station Road are found.

Copyright © - 1998/1999 Mark Christian

Return to Home Page