Story County, Iowa
Military Eligible 1862
Search Military Eligible 1862
The Iowa Militia Law required counties to report the persons subject to military duty. In 1862 lists were compiled by the several assessors of Story county and submitted to the state Adjutant General by the clerk of the district court. This 1862 list was transcribed from FamilySearch.org images. (To locate on their site search images for Story, Iowa, United States, select Life Event type Military Service, and from that select Military Record for Story, Iowa, United States 1862–1910. This provides a group of 784 images. The 1862 lists are images number 4–19.)
The 1862 enumeration was certified on June 9, 1862. See Certification Letter for an example of the 1862 certification to the state Adjutant General.
The following information is included:
- Line: Line number as recorded in the document
- Name: Given name with surname in upper case letters. An altername surname, when present, aka follows the surname and the alternate surname is shown in upper-case. That is followed by an alternate source shown in parentheses such as (1885 Census), (Cem Rec) for cemetery record, or (Ed Guess) for educated guess.
- Location: In the 1862 list all were township names
- Image#: The number of the image in the FamilySearch images from which these were transribed
- Comment: This document contained comments about a few of the men listed, such as, deceased since listed but before final submission.
Please E-Mail Mark Christian with your questions, comments, or suggestions.
Story Co. Home Page