Ottumwa tri-weekly courier. (Ottumwa, Iowa) 1903-1916, May 21, 1910
Charles City, May 20.—(Special).—
Seventeen cars of a train of forty-five cars, mostly empty were derailed and wrecked on the Milwaukee road near
here last night. No one was hurt two tramps who were stealing a ride jumped and saved themselves. Traffic was blocked for several hours.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier. (Ottumwa, Iowa) 1903-1916, May 21, 1910

Leaving Ottumwa Junction about 8:15 this morning for its first stop on the tour of the Milwaukee lines in
Iowa, the dairy special, with I. P. Wright in charge and Engineer J. H. Smith at the throttle of engine No. 70
steamed out for Hedrick where the first stop was made on the tour. The train was excellently equipped, having
thee coaches, a cafe car and sleeper, besides a modernly equipped dairy barn improvised from a baggage car.
The cattle that the car was stocked with is the envy of every farmer in the country and numbered in its list
three cows and a Jersey bull whose value is $5,000. The cows were a Jersey, Guernsey and a Holstein. The latter is the banner cow of its kind in the state and bears the reputation of yielding no less than fourteen gallons of milk each day, having to be milked three times a day. This animal is the property of a Waterloo man and is carried on the special to demonstrate what can be accomplished by scientific breeding and cultivation of dairy stock.
Yard Clerk Harry Cross was pressed into service on the special as baggage man and will accompany the train over the Marion line. The equipment came to Ottumwa yesterday morning on No. and the stock was shipped in here Saturday night. The train is steam heated and everything connected with the train is given the best of treatment and the highest type of service. The farmers, stockmen and dairymen are the persons the train is specially designed for and lectures with practical demonstrations will be carried on throughout the trip by experts
from the state agricultural college at Ames.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, February 25, 1911
Lectures and stereopticon views of the great northwest, through which the Puget Sound lines of the Milwaukee
penetrate, will furnish a day and evening of instruction and entertainment to Ottumwans Thursday, March 2. The
arrangements for the visit of the special car to Ottumwa have been made by Immigration Agent George B. 
Haynes of the C., M. & St. P. lines, and an effort to interest Ottumwans and the people of the country surrounding will be made when the car filled with fruits, grains and products of the northwest arrives here. All through the day the car will be stereopticon Dakotas, Montana, Washington, Idaho and Oregon will be given by Mr. Haynes and his corps of experts. The evening's instruction and entertainment will be held in the hall of the Knights of Columbus on West Main Street, which is capable of seating a large number. The special will arrive given a delightful surprise Wednesday on No. 3 next Thursday morning and the same train the following today. It will be made worth the while of Ottumwans and farmers round about the country to visit the car and hear the lectures, both in the car during the day and in the hall at night. The plan carried out by the railroad company in making known the new lands and their possibilities, is full of interest and much can be learned with profit to the person contemplating migrating lo the west.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, March 02, 1911
While a pile was being held steady by pinch bar on a bridge near Hedrick yesterday afternoon, the hammer
fell and, striking the bar, caused it to fly upward and strike Pete Wood, a Milwaukee employee, under the chin, 
tearing away a quantity of the skin and flesh of the neck, and seriously injuring Wood. He was brought to Ottumwa and taken to the hospital, where he is being taken care of. The accident took place on Milwaukee Railroad Bridge No. 112%, near Hedrick, where the pile driver crew under Foreman John Couch, were driving some piling to strengthen the structure. While engaged in steadying a pile which was being hoisted in position to be driven, Mr. Wood used a sharp-pointed pinch bar. Upon the hammer dropping its ponderous weight on the piling, it precipitated the huge log downward to such an extent that in its descent the hammer struck the bar in the hands of Wood. The result was, the sudden flight upward of the bar which struck the man beneath the chin and tore a deep gash in his throat, but did not break the jaw. The accident occurred about 1:30 and the crew immediately cut off the engine and way car and brought the injured man to Ottumwa. Upon arrival here, the ambulance met the party in charge of Mr. Wood and accompanied him to the hospital. Mr. Wood -resides in Chillicothe, Mo., and is married. His injury, while of a serious nature, is not considered dangerous. It will be perhaps a month before he can expert to return to work.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, May 23, 1911

Men on Way to Work Discovered Dead Body Beneath Approach to West End Railroad Structure This Morning.
Lying with his head partly buried in the soft dirt beneath and to one side of the south approach of the Milwaukee railroad bridge in the west end, the dead body of Thomas Dolan was discovered early this morning by three miners enroute to their work at the mines in Bear Creek. Life had apparently been extinct for several hours and the face of the dead man was dis colored from apparent suffocation. No bruises or broken bones were evident that would denote violence or suggest anything other than an accident, although a slight bruise on one shoulder, one side of his face and on the nose showed the force of the fall when the body struck the earth some twenty feet below the trestle. The inquest has been ordered for this evening at 5 o'clock, and the funeral will be held tomorrow morning.
Found This Morning.
So far as is known there were no witnesses to the accident nor was anything known of it until this morning
about 6 o'clock when J. T. Wyatt, William Hazelton and W. S. Sage, coal miners on their way to the mines at
Bear Creek, saw the body and notified the Sullivan undertaking rooms. The undertaking firm in turn notified
Coroner A. W. Slaught.
Smothered to Death.
So far as can be ascertained Mr. Dolan, who was 56 years of age, was one of a party who visited at the home
of his sister, Mrs. John Carr, west of the city yesterday. He did not leave until during the night after the other
members of the company had taken their leave, and the route taken by him was that of the railroad bridge
rather than that of the Blackhawk wagon bridge. It is thought by some that a train on the bridge may have
caused him to leap from the structure, while others hold that It is more probable that he missed his footing in the
dark and toppled from the bridge to the ground some twenty feet below. His appearance, when found, denoted
that he alighted on his shoulder and head, turning the latter somewhat and burying part of his face in the soft
dirt and, that unconscious from the fall, he smothered or suffocated in the dirt shortly after the fall. An inspection of the remains by Coroner A. W. Slaught caused him to arrive at the suffocation theory, for the face of the man was almost black. Thomas Dolan was born in 1855, and had lived in Ottumwa for some years. He was employed at the Dain plant in South Ottumwa and resided on North Ash street. The funeral will be held from the home of Mrs. John Carr, west of the city, to St. Patrick's church Tuesday at 9 a. m. Interment will be in Calvary cemetery.

Leo Kelley, the 13-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. William Kelley, formerly of this city, was drowned in the Cedar
river at Cedar Rapids yesterday afternoon, when the canoe in which he and his brother Walter, aged eleven, were
paddling in the vicinity of the dam, became unmanageable, and was swept over into twenty feet of whirling water. The force of the fall threw Walter beyond the whirlpool and he was rescued a short time after, Leo, however, stuck in the vortex of the treacherous pool and went to the bottom. Henry Warren, a stone mason of Cedar Rapids was drowned in the attempt to recover the boy's body, when the boat in which he, with two companions, was swamped. The other men escaped. The Kelley family removed to Cedar Rapids from Ottumwa Ave years ago, 
formerly residing on West Division Street. Mr. Kelley was a Milwaukee switchman in this city. The remains of the lad will be brought to this city probably in the morning, for burial. The time of the funeral has not been set, but interment will be made in the Calvary cemetery. It seems that the lads played truant, from school to take a ride on the river. Hundreds of people witnessed the drowning of the rescuer, many women fainting when he failed to come up. The body was in the water for six hours and a half before it was recovered.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, May 25, 1911

Solid Steel Trains Over Coast Line Starts Sunday—Burlington Has Change of Card Also on Same Date.
Sunday will mark a number of changes in the time of some of the western roads, among them being the
Milwaukee and the Burlington in which the trains passing through Ottumwa on each of these roads will undergo some change. The new transcontinental trains of the Milwaukee, the "Olympian" and "Columbian," will be put into service between Chicago, Seattle and Tacoma by way of the C., M. & P. S.  the new northwest line of the Milwaukee. These trains will be the pinnacle of luxuriant travel of solid steel and equipped with every modern luxury to be found in railroad transportation. About ten train's equipment will be necessary to continue the service uninterrupted and these have all been provided.
Change the Time.
With the changing of time on the through and main line service, the local lines of the Milwaukee which affect Ottumwa will undergo some, changes in time. The new trains will be placed in service on the Marion line to supplant Nos. 10 and 9, the time of which is different from that of the old trains. These are Nos. 18 and 21, morning and night trains respectively. With these changes there also appears some differences in the time of all of
the passenger trains on the Milwaukee except the two limited trains. Both Nos. 3 and 103 have been made ten
minutes earlier, while Nos. 8 and 108 are made about forty-five minutes later. No. 34, the new Seymour-Ottumwa accommodation train, is made five minutes earlier in arrival and Its corresponding train No. 33 will leave half an
hour later, thus making it a good train for out of town fans who may leave the city after a baseball game with
ample time to see the game.
Effective Midnight Sunday.
Train No. 18 is that formerly numbered 10 and changed recently to make connection with the new train, No. 34.
It will leave here at 10:05 a. m. This change in time makes No. 18 out of Ottumwa connect with the Omaha
Chicago No. 18 on the main line and also gives an excellent service to Dubuque. No. 21 is the former No. 9
and will arrive here at 11:45 p. m., an hour and forty-five minutes earlier than formerly. All of these trains except 3 and 8 are daily except Sun¬day and their effectiveness under the new card is fixed at 12:01 a. m. Monday, May 29.Lengthen Out Trains.
The Burlington will also put into effect Sunday at noon, its new card which will affect Ottumwa but slightly
and that on trains No. 9 and 10. These trains will be made through from Chicago to Denver instead of to Oxford
Junction, Nebr., where they now terminate. The change is the annual placing of these important trains on
their summer schedule and beyond a slight change in arrival and departure there is no other change in the situation. The running time of both trains over the Ottumwa division has been shortened somewhat, but not materially affecting Ottumwa.
Time Card.,
The new time card of the Milwaukee will show the following changes:
Going Southwest             Depart
5A—Southwest Limited .. 1:45 a.m.
3A—Kansas City Local..   10:25 a.m.
33 —Seymour..                5:30 p.m.
93B—Local freight ....       6:45 a.m. 
 Going East via Cut Off
12A—Chic. Limited…        12:05 a.m.
8A—Davenport, Chicago.. 5:24 p. m.
34 —Arrive 10:00 a.m.
92B—Local freight ....       7:45 a. m.
Marion Line, Going North
108B—Cedar Rap., Marion.. 5:17 p. m.
18B—Cedar Ran.. St. Paul. 10:05 a. m.
98B—Local freight 5:50 a.m.
Marion Line, Coming South.
103B—Arrive from Marion… 10:05 a. m.
21C—Arrive from Marion. 11:45 p. m.
97 —Local freight arrive. 5:45p.m.
Freight trains arrive and depart from Milwaukee Junction.
T. H. Jacobs, Agent.

Extension of Seymour Trains Into Sewall and The "Dude Train to Kansas City.  The unconfirmed story of the change in the Milwaukee trains, Nos. 33 and 34 published Wednesday, was today confirmed by Division. Passenger and Freight Agent W. C. Parker of the Kansas City division who stated that the service that has been enjoyed by Ottumwa merchants through the installation of the Seymour-Ottumwa service, has been added to by the road which will lengthen out Nos. 33 and 34 to Sewall instead of terminating at Seymour. Thus' Ottumwa merchants can expect to get some of the business between Seymour and. Sewall that heretofore was not accommodated by the road with a train to make Ottumwa and return with convenience. The new service will become effective the first of the new year and will be of material value to the local business interests and enable the people residing along the west, and south end of the Milwaukee to get to Ottumwa to do their shopping and return home in time for supper.
Extend "Dude" Train.
The new card shows the following the schedule of the changed trains:
No. 33—Leave Ottumwa at 5:30 p.m. and arrive at Sewal at 7:50 p. m.
No. 34—Leave Sewal at 7:40 a. m. and arrive in Ottumwa at 9:50 a. m.
Train No. 18 has been made No. 4, and will leave Ottumwa at 9 :53 a. m. arriving at Marion where it connects
east and west at 2:17 p. m.
No. 21 is unchanged and will continue to arrive here at 11:45 p. m.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, June 01, 1911
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wesselmen of Calmer Fatally Injured in the Same Accident.
Fort Atkinson, la. May 31.—While crossing the tracks of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad here
today a carriage occupied by Henry Wesselmen, a wealthy resident of Calmar, his wife and five children, was
struck by a passenger train. A crippled son was killed outright and Mr. and Mrs. Wesselmen and one daughter
were fatally injured. The daughter died an hour later. The other children escaped with only slight bruises.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, June 15, 1911
The Olympian is Described in Pretty Booklet by the Milwaukee Railroad.
"The Olympian," is the title of a handsome booklet being circulated by the Milwaukee, advertising its new train service between Chicago and the northwest coast cities of Seattle and Tacoma. The book is a splendid creation of the printer's art and tells in word and picture of the "Olympian," one of the new trains of which the "Columbian" is the sister. A map with a clear view of the "Olympian" enroute and style, "the new steel train on the new steel trail," tells much to the reader of the booklet of the great achievement of the Milwaukee in opening up a way to the coast through the northwest by the building of a new route at the cost of more than $100,000,000. The new service is solid steel trains and the most modern of equipment ever operated on wheels.
Two Sections of Milwaukee Train Collide at Odessa, Costing Lives of Passengers and Injuring Many.
Mrs. J. F. Richards, Wife of Former Milwaukee Trainmaster, and Daughter, Killed.
Among the victims of the wreck at Odessa, Minn., this morning the names of two former Ottumwans appear, Mrs. J. F. Richards and her daughter. Ottumwans will remember Mrs. Richards and daughter as having resided here
until a few years ago when Mr. Richards, who was trainmaster at Ottumwa on the Milwaukee, was transferred to  Mendota, Ill., to take charge of that division as superintendent. At present Mr. Richards is superintendent on the
coast lines of the Milwaukee at Mobridge, S. D„ and it is supposed by friends of the stricken family in Ottumwa that Mrs. Richards and daughter were in route from Mobridge to Minneapolis to spend the holidays.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, December 23, 1911
Odessa, Minn., Dec. 18—Ten persons were killed in a wreck on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad here today and ten or more were seriously injured when the second section of train number eighteen, the Columbian from Seattle, crashed into the first section, which had been stopped on signal. 
List of Dead
Among the dead are Mrs. J. F. Richards, wife of the superintendent of the Missouri Slope division of the St. Paul road and their daughter. Their home is a Mobridge, S. D.
The other dead are: 
MRS. R. C. MYERS, New Castle, Ind. 
MRS. C. W. BARBER, Perry, Mont. 
DR. R. F. WHITSONE, Minneapolis, Minn. 
CONDUCTOR M'KEENE, Minneapolis, dining car.
MRS. R. F. WHETSTONE, Minneapolis.
MISS PETERSON, Green Bay, Wis. 
THOMAS ALEXANDER, second cook, diner.
Seriously injured: 
Miss Eliza Clement, Boston, Mass., back and arm.
W. H. Perry, Vancouver, B. C., head, arm and shoulder.
E. Leblan, Seattle, Wash., back.
Ralph D. Brown, Levy, Mont., back.
Dr. Sherman, Levy, Mont., back.
Mrs. E. Leban, Seattle, back injured.
MISB Leola Kennedy, New Castle, Ind., back injured.
Mrs. L. Revier, Three Forks, Mont., slightly injured.
Dr. D. Herman, Levy, Mont., bruised.
Mrs. F. J. Mather, Butte, Mont., bruised.
Ralph Amy, Aberdeen, S. D., ankle broken.
Mrs. Addie Deutsch, Butte, Mont., ankle broken.
Mrs. V. A. Williams, Lemmon, S. D., back strained.
Miraldus Pierce, Seattle, Wash., back injured.
J. Alexander, sleeping car porter, bruised
John Samuelson, Aberdeen, S. D., head injured.
Joseph Sandal, body badly bruised.
Two sisters, unidentified.
Cause of the Wreck.
The accident occurred a short distance from the signal tower here. The first section had been stopped by the
tower man because of a freight train in the block ahead. The second section, which closely followed the
first, was what is known as a "silk" train carrying merchandise. The railway officials attribute the accident to the failure of the operator to set the signals against the second section. They also believe the brake man of the first section failed to run back to flag the second section. Because of darkness the engineer of the second section did not see the rear lights of the train in front in time to avert a collision. The rear car of the first section was telescoped and the car next to it was badly shattered. The nine dead were occupants of the last coach, as were
most of the injured. The wreck tore down the telegraph wires and there was some delay in getting word of the disaster to the headquarters of the road. The seriously injured were taken to a hospital at Ortonville, Minn. Heroic
work was done by those on board the train in assisting the wounded and aid-
(Continued on Page 10J
(Continued From Page 1)
ing those not injured to escape from the cars.
Injured Taken to Minneapolis. St. Paul, Minn.. Dec. 18.—Persons injured in the wreck at Odessa, Minn., 
were taken to Minneapolis in a special train. Details of the wreck which occurred at 4:50 a. m. are meager. Reports to officials in the twin cities indicate that the failure of the operator to "block" the trains caused the accident. The regular of the first section was in the lead. It was proceeding slowly when the second section crashed into
the tail end of the Columbian. The second section, it is said, was proceeding at high speed. A sleeping car and the dining car of the Columbian were twisted and those asleep were caught in the wreckage.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, December 28, 1911
Talk is rife in certain railroad quarters that a change in time or at least in service will soon be made effective on the Kansas City division of the Milwaukee, and that the present Ottumwa-Seymour trains, Nos. 33 and 34, will be operated as far south as Kansas City instead of terminating at Seymour as at present. Nothing could be learned to confirm or deny the story at the local division office except that Trainmaster H. W. Druen is in Chicago, presumably going over the matter with the general office. The story as told by the Milwaukee men is to the effect that the crews that run on No. 33 will go to Sewall instead of stopping at Seymour, and laying up for the night at Sewall, will continue to Kansas City the next day, returning to Sewall the same day, when they again lay up for the night.
This will afford a service between Sewell, Chillicothe and Kansas City similar to that enjoyed for some time past between Ottumwa and Seymour The return of No. 34 will be made ahead of No. 12 out of Kansas City and into Sewall, and will run through Ottumwa as far as Cedar Rapids. Between Ottumwa and Cedar Rapids the trains will be run as Nos. 18 and 21 with the same crews. It is not definitely known when the change takes place, but it is looked forward to within the next ten days.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, December 30, 1911
Milwaukee to Improve Trains
Extension of Seymour Trains Into Sewall and The "Dude Train to Kansas City Affects Marion Line.
The unconfirmed story of the change in the Milwaukee trains, Nos. 33 and 34 published Wednesday, was
today confirmed by Division. Passenger and Freight Agent W. C.| Parker of the Kansas City division who stated
that the service that has been enjoyed by Ottumwa merchants through the installation of the Seymour Ottumwa
service, has been added to by the road which will lengthen out Nos. 33 and 34 to Sewall instead of terminating
at Seymour. Thus Ottumwa merchants can expect to get some of the business between Seymour and Sewall that
heretofore was not accommodated by the road with a train to make Ottumwa and return with convenience. The
new service will become effective the first of the new year and will be 0f material value to the local business interests and enable the people residing along the west, and south end of the Milwaukee to get to Ottumwa to do
their shopping and return home in time for supper.
Extend "Dude" Train.
The new card shows the following the schedule of the changed trains:
No. 33—Leave Ottumwa at 5:30 p.m. and arrive at Sewal at 7:50 p. m.
No. 34—Leave Sewal at 7:40 a. m. and arrive in Ottumwa at 9:50 a. m.
Train No. 18 has been made No. 4, and will leave Ottumwa at 9 :53 a. m. arriving at Marion where it connects
east and west at 2:17 p. m.
No. 21 is unchanged and will continue to arrive here at 11:45 p. m.

Veteran Conductor A. W. Bell, who for several years past has been in charge of the way freight run on the
Marion line of the Milwaukee between Ottumwa and Marlon, died at his home in Marion yesterday afternoon about
4:40 o'clock. His age at the time of death was about 72 years and he was an employee of the Milwaukee for a
great many years, being one of the oldest men both in years and service that run into Ottumwa. His death followed a long period of illness during most of which time he has been absent from his run. He is survived by a daughter and four sons, one of whom is Conductor Frank Bell of Ottumwa, also of the Milwaukee. The funeral will be held in Marlon tomorrow but the hour was not learned.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, February 27, 1912
Falling beneath the wheels of the train on which he with other lads were riding in Rutledge last night, Henry
Chadwick lost his right foot. The limb was amputated in the hospital in this city later in the night. The injured
boy is 14 years of age and the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Chadwick, 420 South Benton Street. He is reported
to be doing as well as might be expected this morning at the hospital. The accident occurred while Henry Chadwick, Ray Dickerson, Harry Mc Donough and Jack Ash were taking a tour by freight train over the Milwaukee. Some of the boys state the quartet were on their way to Washington for a ride and that the train they boarded proved to be a north extra bound for Marion and not over the cut-off. When the train failed to stop at Rutledge and take the east line, they alighted. Others say that they merely intended to ride to Rutledge and that three of the boys alighted shortly after the train entered the mining camp, while young Chadwick rode a block further. It was
while attempting to alight that the boy fell beneath the cars and was run over. The night switch engine was
used to convey the boy back to Ottumwa. The accident occurred about 9 o'clock and the lad was taken to the
hospital in the ambulance after arriving in Ottumwa reaching the hospital about 10:30 p. m. The limb was amputated above the ankle.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, March 12, 1912
Burlington Train Had Crossing and Milwaukee Freight Coming Down Hill Could Not Stop Rock Island Trains Blocked
The failure of the air brakes to take effect on Milwaukee freight train No. 67 as it rumbled down the west end
grade into Ottumwa Sunday morning at 3:30 o'clock caused a wreck that will run into thousands of dollars expense to the railroad company. No one was injured. The engine a complete wreck and eight cars of various kinds of merchandise scattered with their contents to the right and left of the track they were derailed from, presented an interesting spectacle of destruction to thousands of Ottumwans yesterday. The train was in charge of Conductor Charles Farley and Engineer Oliver Clark.
Air Brake Failed.
The train, No. 67, enroute from Nahant to Ottumwa, was about to enter the junction yards and had almost reached the base of the steep grade near the Second street crossing when Engineer Clark found the block signal against him, a Burlington train having the right of way over the crossing. Applying the air, it was found that a defect had occurred in the system and the emergency braking force was powerless to stem the impetus the heavy freight train received from the steep hill west of the city. Having tested the air by a trial application at what is known as the brick plant switch some distance up the hill from the crossing, the engineer was at a loss to account for the failure of the air to work. He continued his efforts with the air until after having taken the derail switch just north of the Rock Island's right of way, when he jumped to safety from the engine as it was in the act of toppling over.
Fireman Ed Suydam, when he realized that the train was beyond control and likely to be ditched on the siding, 
jumped from the engine after it passed over Second Street and entered the derail track, and like Engineer Clark
was uninjured by the wreck. The hoard being against No. 67, the derail was automatically set by the tower man in giving the right of way to the Burlington train, and as No. 67 came down the grade the train ran in on the derail switch.
Car In Back Yard.
Within 100 yards of the main line one of the cars left the rails of the derail track and thus rode for some distance, when the rail nearest the Rock Island track snapped under the strain. Realizing that he was no longer of service to the train, Engineer Clark jumped to safety upon hearing the snap of the broken rail, and none too soon, for the engine immediately settled on its right side, having toppled over until it was on its side on the Rock Island tracks. The on rush of the train tore the tender of the engine from its moorings and threw it to the north of the tracks. The next car being filled with farm implements was shunted still further to the north and at the rear of the tender, taking cut houses, chicken coops, a tree, and sheds in its path and brought up against the rear of a dwelling occupied by John O. Lundgren at 1024 West Main Street. Dead chickens, shed roofs, tubs, a washing machine, a go
cart and divers other things that had been stored in the wood shed at the rear of the Lundgren home were mixed up in a mass of wreckage beneath and to the sides of the stranded car which stopped just in time to save
demolishing the house.
Wreckage Scattered.
A car of merchandise that consisted largely of household goods, some of which were consigned to El Paso, Texas, was next, and this car was telescoped by the engine which was burled to the depth of its cab in the fore part of the car. A car of potatoes came next but beyond the loss of its trucks and some minor scratches, it did not appear much the worse for the experience. The potatoes were transferred by men and vans to another car lying near the Box Car Loader plant, where they were later picked up by a yard engine and taken over to the yards. Scattered on all sides of the wreck were a lot of gasoline engines that had filled one of the wrecked cars. A car load of condensed milk with a stock car laden with posts added to the variety. A car of plain doors and two cars of coke dust or black completed the list of wrecked cars.
Rock Island Blocked.
Although the wreck occurred to a Milwaukee train, the Rock Island road was the chief sufferer in point of
blocked traffic. The right of way of the Milwaukee was clear, but not so with the Rock Island. The fact that
the Milwaukee's derail switch is on Rock Island ground and runs parallel to the Rock Island's lines, made the
full force of the blockade to be borne by the Rock Island. Four of its freight trains had to be detoured and
two of its passenger trains were also sent around. The freight trains were retoured via the M. & St. L., and Milwaukee to Washington where they took the Rock Island lines, and one of the passenger trains took the same detour. The other passenger train left Ottumwa over the Milwaukee lines to Hedrick and via the M. & St L. to
Oskaloosa. Not only was the Rock Island interested, but the Burlington was called upon and aided in the clearing of the wreck by sending its wrecking train, crew and derrick to the scene about 9 o'clock in the morning. About an hour after its arrival it was called away to Agency where a car had become derailed and it left for that place and re¬turned in two hours and resumed its task in clearing the wreck. The Milwaukee force was busily engaged at
the west end of the wreck, while the Burlington wreckers were engaged in righting the engine and the wreckage
on the east end of the pileup. Much interest was evinced by thousands of people throughout the day in watching the wrecking crews clear the wreckage away from the Rock Island's tracks which were blocked from 3:30 a. m., until late in the day. The officials of the three roads located in Ottumwa were present and assisted in directing the work of clearing the wreck. The engine was righted about 3 p. m., and an hour later was placed on the Rock Island track ready to be towed away. The various cargoes were removed from damaged cars and the cars picked up bodily by the huge derricks and hoisted out of the way. By the combined efforts of the two wrecking crews, the Rock Island tracks were cleared and new rails laid replacing the damaged rails by 6:08 p.m., and traffic restored on the Rock Island. The Milwaukee wrecking crew is busy today in finishing up the job on its own derail siding where
some of the cars and considerable debris is collected. The entire wreck will be cleared away by evening.
Thought it Was Cyclone.
Aroused from their slumbers by the rumblings of the wrecked cars and the crashing of the big carriage car against outbuildings the Lundgren family thought a cyclone had struck their vicinity when the wreck occurred. The bedroom where the family was asleep was on the southwest side of the house and the wrecked box car
stopped its noisy progress toward the house just ten feet away from the window of this bed room. "We were not shaken out of bed," said Mrs. Lundgren, "but the rattle of the car and the noise of crashing against the summer kitchen and sheds made us think it was a cyclone or an earthquake. The dishes in the pantry rattled and the house wavered. We were too frightened to think of what was happening."
Thought Lundgrens Killed.
Mrs. E. J. Ekwall, who lives with her family next to the Lundgrens was not frightened by the wreck, as she was
awake at the time. The carriage car that almost crashed Into the Lundgren house passed through the Ekwall yard
and an outbuilding, part of the coal shed and the fence were taken with it. Mrs. Ekwall realized what was
happening and her first thought when she noted the passing car toward the Lundgren home was for the safety of
her neighbors. "I thought they were all killed,'' said Mrs. Ekwall.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, March 26, 1912
Evidently struck by Milwaukee passenger No. 8 on its way into Ottumwa yesterday evening about 5 o'clock, the
body of James W. Bowes, a teamster of the Phillips Coal Co., was found about 6 o'clock by three men, lying
along the tracks just west of the west yards in a badly mangled condition. Just how the accident happened is not
known nor is it definitely settled that No. 8 struck the man. He was not run over but he was struck with such force that his body was terribly crushed. A part of his skull had been torn away, his legs were mashed and broken as was one of his arms, and his body was crushed. Bowes was making his way along the tracks for his home in Bear Creek He was seen late in the afternoon, thus bearing out the belief that the train that struck him was No. 8. Three miners on their way home to Ottumwa from Bear Creek, Isaac Forbes, Richard Forbes and J. J. Barr, discovered the body about 6 o'clock. They immediately notified the Milwaukee junction. An engine was sent to the place and the remains brought to the Milwaukee passenger depot. They were then taken to the S. A. Crowley undertaking establishment. Coroner A. W. Slaught will hold the inquest at his office this evening at 7 o'clock. The arrangements for the funeral have not been made, but it will probably be held Wednesday. The deceased had lived in Bear Creek for many years. For the past nineteen years, he has been in the employ, of the Phillips Fuel Co., being engaged as a teamster at the time of his death. Two brothers, three daughters and two sons survive.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, April 27, 1912
North English, April 25.—(Special)
The body .of W. H. Cheney aged 60 years, one of the most prominent citizens of North English, was found cut
to pieces along the Milwaukee tracks at midnight last night. It is supposed that he was ground to death by
a Mil¬waukee freight train which passed through North English at 10 o'clock. Mr. Cheney left home last evening
to visit a neighbor one mile east of town. He did not return home at midnight. His wife notified the neighbors
and a short time later his remains were found scattered along the tracks. The body was brought to town this
morning. The deceased was a leading member of the Christian church and a charter member of the North English
M. W. A. lodge. He leaves, besides his wife, one son and four daughters.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, April 13, 1912
Lifeless Form of Victim of Cone Lake Disaster Extricated From Waters Moriarty is Improving.
The body of John G. Adams, who met a terrible death in Cone Lake yesterday morning, was recovered last
night about 10 o'clock by a diver. The remains arrived here on Milwaukee No. 3 this morning. Fireman J. Moriarity was removed to the Washington, Iowa, hospital last night, and his left leg was amputated below the knee this morning. While his condition is critical, he is expected to live if complications do not set in.
Pinned Under Piling.
The diver who recovered the body of Mr. Adams arrived at the scene of the accident at 5:30 yesterday. Four
unsuccessful attempts to find the body were made, and the fifth resulted in the diver locating the lifeless form.
The body was in the cab of the engine, but seemed to be pinned by some piling which followed the locomotive
down to the waters. The form was not mutilated, Adams having remained in the cab with his engine and only one
foot was bruised. The remains were taken to Washington last night and prepared for burial. The funeral party
arrived home this morning on No. 3. The Milwaukee wrecking crew is still endeavoring to raise the engine
from the waters. This task will not be accomplished before tomorrow. Supt. Macdonald is at Cone Lake in charge
of the work. Jacob Adams of Milwaukee, a brother of Mr. Adams, accompanied by his wife, arrived here last night.
The funeral of Mr. Adams will be held Monday afternoon at 2:30 at the First Presbyterian church. The escape of Moriarty was miracu¬lous. As the engine with Mr. Adams and his fireman crashed through the bridge over Cone Lake yesterday morning, Moriarty was caught by some piling and his leg was torn completely off just below the knee. Thus freed Moriarty rose to the surface and though suffering from terrible pain and weakened by the shock he retained sufficient presence of mind to grasp a box which floated out from the wreckage of the engine and fallen span, to which he clung until members of the horrified bridge crew could secure a boat and row hastily to his aid. When the boat reached his side Moriarty was able to pull himself into the boat and was brought ashore.
Milwaukee Engineer Submerged in Water When Engine Goes Through Bridge at Cone Lake.
Fireman J. Moriarty Loses Leg in Accident Two Men Left Ottumwa at 2:30 a. m., Today.
John G. Adams, engineer of the Milwaukee, is dead and John Moriarty, a Milwaukee fireman lost his right leg, 
when their engine crashed through the bridge over Cone Lake, fifteen miles west of Muscatine this morning.
Adams and his engine are submerged in twenty-eight feet of water in the lake. Moriarty was rescued from the
water and taken to Conesville, where it is believed he will live. Quicksand undermined pier No. 4 of the bridge, and this with the high water, is believed to have caused the heavy engine Adam was driving to sink
through to the water below. Supt. Macdonald with John, George and Emil Adams, sons of the dead engineer, left this afternoon for the scene of the accident. When second No. 66 which left Ottumwa at 2:30 o'clock this morning
arrived at the Cone Lake Bridge, the first engine was cut off to avoid running the two heavy locomotives over
the bridge at once. One pier of the bridge was reported to have settled two inches yesterday, and the pile
driver was at work on the bridge when No. 66 arrived this morning. Foreman Ed Kiburtz, in charge of repairing the bridge, reported it safe one-half hour before the train arrived. Adams' engine progressed as far as pier No. 4, when it crashed through the bridge to the waters below. Moriarty jumped, but Engineer Adams remained with the engine and as it dashed down, he was buried beneath the huge pile. The wrecker from Ottumwa junction left Ottumwa and was at Cone Lake shortly after the report of the accident, which was received here about 10:30. Divers are also on the ground and will be used to recover the body of Mr. Adams.
A Veteran Railroader.
John G. Adams had been employed by the Milwaukee road for the past thirty years, starting at the West Milwaukee shops. He was transferred to Marion and Chillicothe, and in 1901 came with his family to this city. He was set up to the post of engineer fourteen years ago. Mr. Adams was born in 1861 in Oppenheim on the Rhine, Germany. His family consists of Mrs. Adams and seven sons, as follows: John J., Jacob S., Emil H., Fred L., George W. and Albert D. of Ottumwa and Henry S. of Chillicothe, Mo. He also has one brother, Jacob, and two sisters, Mrs. Catherine Young and Mrs. Mary Schreiber of Milwaukee. He was affiliated with a number of lodges, being a member in good
standing of the A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. No. 9, Brotherhood of American Yeomen, Knights and Ladies of Security, Court of Honor, Loyal Order of Moose and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. The terrible death of Mr. Adams has cast a pall of gloom over the entire west part of Ottumwa, and the Milwaukee employees, with whom the deceased was a great favorite, feel his sad death most keenly. Mr. Adams had been a man who was popular
with all his acquaintances. His church affiliation was with the First Presbyterian church, in which he was a consistent member and supporter. The freight train of which Mr. Adams' engine was the first locomotive has been detoured on the Rock Island from Washington to Cranston. Until the Cone Lake Bridge is repaired, the trains on that branch of the Milwaukee will use the Rock Island right of way from Cranston to Washington.
John G. Adams.
John G. Adams was born in Oppenhelm, Germany, March 7, 1861. –He came to this country when about
years of age and located in Milwaukee, Wis. He was united in marriage to Anna B. Young June 25, 1889. To this
union was born seven sons, John Henry S. Jacob F., Emil H., Fred L., George W. and Albert B., all residing
in Ottumwa except Henry who lives in Chillicothe, Mo. He entered the employ of the C. M. & St. P. railway at West Milwaukee shops nearly 30 years ago. He was transferred to Marion, Iowa, during 1889 and the family resided there nine years, after which he was again transferred to Chillicothe, Mo., where he was promoted to the position of engineer, which he held at the time of his death. When the division point was changed he moved to Ottumwa
where the family has since resided. He was affiliated with the A. F. & A. ,M. No. 16, Clinton chapter R. A. M.,
Illinois—Fair tonight and Thursday O. of E. S. No. 112, B. of L. E. No. 538, I. O. O. F. No. 9 and No. 22, B. of A.
Y. No 407. Court of Honor No. 157, O. O. M. No. 484, K. of L. S., and Rebekah lodge No. 41. He was a member of the First Presbyterian church. April 11 he was called at 1:30 a. m., for second No. 66 east bound with a double header, leaving the Ottumwa yards about 2:30 a. m. On arrival at Cone Lake about 9:45 a. m., he was ordered to detach his engine and proceed light over the bridge on account of the weakened condition due to high water, and to relieve the excess weight of the two heavy locomotives on the bridge at the same time. When the engine was over the third pier, the same collapsed, throwing the engine into the lake and causing his untimely death. His body was recovered about 9:50 p. m., and brought to Ottumwa, his home. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon, April 15 at 2:30 p. m., at the First Presbyterian church, conducted by Rev. Montgomery. Services-at the grave were conducted by the Masonic order assisted by Rev. E. W. F. Holler. Music was furnished by a quartet from the church choir. The casket and rostrum of the church was covered with beautiful floral offerings from many friends. The pall bearers were William M. Davis, William Fry, C. Stutsman, H. Kimble, F. McNamara, George Kissinger. Honorary pall bearers were the following old friends of the deceased: Chas. Liddle, James Jordon, George Barber, J. B. Smith. His untimely death is mourned by his wife and family, also a brother Jacob H. Adams and sister, Mrs. H. S. Young, both of Milwaukee, and his many friends. His memory will long be cherished as a kind and loving husband and father as he always had the welfare of his family at heart.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, April 16, 1912
Weakened by loss of blood and exposure, Fireman J. Moriarty, of this city, who was injured when his engine plunged through the bridge over Cone Lake last Thursday, lost in his battle against death, succumbing to his injuries in the hospital at Washington Sunday morning at 1:25 o'clock. It was thought for a time that his condition was improving and that he would recover, but developments Saturday night were for the worse. The remains arrived in Ottumwa from Washington on Milwaukee No. 3 Sunday morning and were taken to the Crowley undertaking parlors. This morning they were removed to the parental home, two and one-half miles west of the city, on the Blackhawk road. The funeral services will be held tomorrow morning at 10:30 o'clock at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, conducted by Rev. Father James Bulger. Burial will be made in Calvary cemetery. The funeral of his engineer, John J. Adams, who met death in the same accident, was held this afternoon. Mr. Moriarty was twenty-three years of age and has been in the employ of the Milwaukee for the past five years. He was well known to scores of young men and his death is mourned by them with deep sorrow. He was a faithful member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church and active in church work. He was also a member of the Order of The Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen. Surviving are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Moriarty, three brothers, Leo, Maurice and Edward, and two sisters, Mrs. Mary Larkin, Ottumwa, and Mrs. Maggie Glentzer of Pueblo, Colo.
Des Moines, April 12.—Only five passengers on railroads in Iowa were killed during the year 1911 as against
fifty-one during the preceding year, according to a statement issued today by N. S. Ketchum, chairman of the
state board of railroad commissioners. Eighty-one employees were killed in 1911 as against 106 the year before.
Railroad accidents killed 128 other persons last year against 147 in 1910. In 1910 there were 360 passengers
injured while last year there were but 221.  In 1910 there were 1,089 employees hurt and last year 2,529. During 1911, 248 others were injured as against 187 the year before.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, April 27, 1912
North English, April 25.—(Special)
The body of W. H. Cheney aged 60 years, one of the most prominent citizens of North English, was found cut
to pieces along the Milwaukee tracks at midnight last night. It is supposed that he was ground to death by
a Mil¬waukee freight train which passed through North English at 10 o'clock. Mr. Cheney left home last evening
to visit a neighbor one mile east of town. He did not return home at midnight. His wife notified the neighbors
and a short time later his remains were found scattered along the tracks. The body was brought to town this
morning. The deceased was a leading member of the Christian church and a charter member of the North English
M. W. A. lodge. He leaves, besides his wife, one son and four daughters.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, May 02, 1912 
Mildred Ruth Lanning.
The Daily Missoulian of Missoula, Montana, of April 21 contained the following obituary notice of Mildred Ruth
Lanning, formerly of Ottumwa. Mildred Ruth, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Lanning of this city, died at the family home, 538 Rollins street, at 9:30 o'clock Sunday morning, April 14th, from the effects of bronchial pneumonia. Death came as a sad and sudden shock to the relatives and friends as her illness was of only a few hours duration. W. R. Lanning, the father, is chief carpenter for the Chicago, Milwaukee Puget Sound railway for the divisions between Miles City, Montana and Mobridge, South Dakota, and did not reach home until Monday. A brother. Harold Lanning, who was visiting in Ottumwa, Iowa, arrived in this city Friday afternoon. The funeral was
held yesterday morning at 10 o'clock from the family residence by Rev. Harold Griffis, pastor of the Calvary
Christian church. A large number of friends attended the services. There were many beautiful and elaborate
floral offerings, which bore a silent testimony of esteem and love. Chief among these were two beautiful pieces one from Mr. Lanning's men on the  Trans-Missouri Musselshell division of the Puget Sound, and the other from
the local force with whom Mr. Lanning worked for some time before going to the eastern division. Music was, furnished by a choir from the Christian church. Interment was made in the Missoula Valley cemetery. The
pall bearers were: William Courtney, Kenneth Sabin, Wallace Lebkicker, Richard Pew, Archie Little and David Roberts.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, May 14, 1912
Engineer Fred C. Orvis, driver of Milwaukee Southwest Limited No. 12, received painful face burns Thursday evening at Laredo when the plug of the lubricator blew out, sending fully three pints of hot oil into his face. Glasses were the only thing that saved Engineer Orvis' eyes from destruction. Although the injury is very painful. Mr. Orvis is getting along nicely today. Physicians are unable to determine at present whether the burns will leave any marks on his face. The accident happened at 10 o'clock. Engineer Orvis had just coupled his engine on the limited, ready to pull to Ottumwa. He was performing the usual task of oiling up. His face was less than a foot away from the valve when the blowout came. The hot oil came with terrific force, under the pressure of 200 pounds of steam. It
struck Engineer Orvis squarely in the face. The oil then took fire from the torch he carried, burning the gloves
from his hands and also the greater part of his mustache. Despite his injuries, Engineer Orvis brought his train to Ottumwa.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, May 21, 1912
Milwaukee Passenger Derailed Near Winona, Minn., When Rains Wash Out Roadbed.
Winona, Minn., May 20.—The first section of train No. 1 on the Chicago Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad known
as the Pioneer Limited, was derailed at 3:20 this morning near Homer, eight miles east of here. Two sleepers
a baggage and buffet car are in the ditch and are partly submerged in the Mississippi river. The wreck was
caused by the heavy rains of last night which washed out the roadbed. One passenger, William West, a traveling salesman was caught in the wash room when the train went over and had to break his way out of the window to keep from drowning. His injuries were slight. The second section of the train came around the wreck on the double track. That there was no loss of life is due to the fact that the train had had warning to watch for washouts and
was running slowly.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, May 23, 1912
A fall from a hand car which jumped the track near Jerome yesterday about 11:30 a. m., seriously injured
Stelle Elesteros, a laborer in a Milwaukee extra gang. The injured man was brought here on Milwaukee No. 
8 last evening and taken to the hospital where he is reported resting easier today. His face and head are badly cut and both legs are painfully bruised. No bones are reported broken. The gang of which Elesteros was a laborer, had been engaged in straightening out curves and otherwise repairing the road bed near Jerome. Elesteros was riding on a hand car which jumped from the rails and he was thrown beneath the car and injured. A physician from Mystic was called and administered to the man until No. 8 arrived when he was removed to Ottumwa and brought to the hospital.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, June 11, 1912
William Walton, a Mystic miner, narrowly escaped death beneath the wheels of a Milwaukee passenger train
at 2 o'clock this morning. He fell off the train on which he was stealing a ride and it is thought his foot was
caught. He was bumped along over the ties and cinders. His cries caused the train crew to stop at the foot of
McLean Street. Found in an unconscious condition, it was thought that he was badly injured. Medical investigation showed it to be a plain case of too much booze.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, June 27, 1912
Bagley, June 26.—Ten cars were reduced to kindling wood, twenty head of cattle and fifty head of hogs were
killed, and a hobo given the scare of his life in the wreck of a stock train here Sunday morning. It is also
thought that the body of an unidentified youth is somewhere in the wreckage. Tramps beating their way on the
train saw him get aboard at Omaha and he was not known to have left the train between that station and Bagley.
The train was the regular Sunday stock special of the Milwaukee. It was made up exclusively of stock cars with one, accommodation car. The cause of the wreck was a broken draw bar. The accident occurred between 3
and 4 o'clock in the morning. The train was running at a high rate of speed in order to make connections
with ether trains at Boone. The impact of the checked cars was terrific. Cattle and hogs were scattered along
the right of way for 100 yards. Some were thrown fifty and one hundred feet from the right of way, the majority of those killed being that far distant. The cars of the best stock car construction, were all reduced to matchwood and the salvage will be at most nothing.