Sioux County -- SCHOOLS
ROCK VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
(Doon Press photo)
The first beginnings of the school was on September 5, 1912.
This was the Rock Valley Christian School as it appeared in the school year 1937-1938. The original four room school was built in 1919, was enlarged to a six room school in 1946 and was dismantled in 1963. The little shed to the side housed the coal to fuel the furnace, and Principal Verhulst can be seen perched in an upstairs window where he could supervise playground activities. The students were identified as follows, left to right: Willus Bajema, John Halma, John DeVries, Cornie Kooiman, Gerrit A. VanMaanen, Jakie Kooima, Jacob DeBoer and near the school 3 unknowns, then John E. VanMaanen.
Information gathered by Gerrit & Jeanette VanGrootheest, Sioux Co.